Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Sab669 posted:

:shrug:

If I click 'turn on recurring billing' it wants the full $15.

No I actually let it expire. No guarantee that doing that will give you different results, but recurring billing is not what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Game Pass has been complaining that my credit card is about to expire for over a year now, even though it renewed this year. Their billing system is trying its best.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I originally thought the small print indicated that I wasn't able to use the free 14 days of Game Pass I got with a Xbox gamepad (because I've used trials before). But it worked fine and they also gave me a free month to go along with it.

I don't think it's a sustainable business model, but I'm milking it for all its worth. Halo Infinite wasn't even on my radar, but now I'm consider playing 5 via Xbox Cloud so I'm ready when it releases next month. I agree with Nowher tho: it's great to play a whole bunch of indie games, but I wouldn't consider using it for most of a year.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sinteres posted:

No I actually let it expire. No guarantee that doing that will give you different results, but recurring billing is not what I did.

Yeah this works. You can't have gamepass on your account when you sign up using the $1 thing. As long as you're not actively subscribed it (should) let you get the deal. It worked for a friend of mine last month.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

goferchan posted:

Also don't go through the Xbox/Gamepass app, it's horrendous -- just download stuff directly through the Windows store.

Is there a way in the Microsoft store to only see stuff that's on PC Gamepass?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I think the Xbox app is the the only place you can see all the gamepass games together

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

deep dish peat moss posted:

Age of Empires IV - I don't really know what to say about it. It works well and looks good but it feels extremely content-lite, like it's an early release version or something, but it's not.

The devs will sell the rest of the content as DLC.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Not in any way that's sane or makes sense; you can click a list like "best selling" and then hit the "subscriptions" filter at the top to only show games included with gamepass, but they'll be in the order of presumably how well they're selling, and it only lists like 140 games and according to this page there are a little over 200.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
How does Steam Family Share work exactly - I have been reading through the FAQ on the website and I still have a few questions.

I have a friend who wants to share with me his library. Is it as simple as him giving me his password and logging into his account on my computer? Or does he have to authorize it before hand? I know that we will not be able to play the same game at the same time but could I be playing one of his games while he plays another one on his computer?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Busy Bee posted:

How does Steam Family Share work exactly - I have been reading through the FAQ on the website and I still have a few questions.

I have a friend who wants to share with me his library. Is it as simple as him giving me his password and logging into his account on my computer? Or does he have to authorize it before hand? I know that we will not be able to play the same game at the same time but could I be playing one of his games while he plays another one on his computer?

It's simple as that (tick "authorize library sharing on this computer" and don't forget to tick your username next, in the same window) and no, you cant play his games while he's playing anything at all from his library.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there an easy way to check what part of my library is playable on a Mac? I was thinking the other day and considering I have a Deck on preorder, and play my Switch much more than PC, I had the very dumb though of trading my PC for one of the new MacBook Pros

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there an easy way to check what part of my library is playable on a Mac? I was thinking the other day and considering I have a Deck on preorder, and play my Switch much more than PC, I had the very dumb though of trading my PC for one of the new MacBook Pros

I don't know of a good way to check, but even on an intel mac, the number of games that work natively last time I checked is pretty terrible since they removed 32-bit support from the OS. It was something like 1/10 of my library IIRC. I assume it's even worse for the new CPU architecture.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

chglcu posted:

I don't know of a good way to check, but even on an intel mac, the number of games that work natively last time I checked is pretty terrible since they removed 32-bit support from the OS. It was something like 1/10 of my library IIRC. I assume it's even worse for the new CPU architecture.

FWIW quite a few games say on the steam page that they aren't updated but they actually are.
I'm not sure of a good way to check though but I know of a few games in my librarythat said they were 32 bit only but they worked just fine.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

You could also use crossover to play games and it works really well.

This guy does a lot of game testing on various macs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAMlG30nN5U

I think there is a flaw with his testing as he's only testing at 1080p which may not give the GPU the real test it needs.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 8, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MarcusSA posted:

FWIW quite a few games say on the steam page that they aren't updated but they actually are.
I'm not sure of a good way to check though but I know of a few games in my librarythat said they were 32 bit only but they worked just fine.

You could also use crossover to play games and it works really well.

This guy does a lot of game testing on various macs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAMlG30nN5U

chglcu posted:

Oh hey, that's super useful, thanks! And yeah it'd be one of the new architecture Macs, which is what worried me. If it was an Intel one I'd just use Bootcamp or whatever it was

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Unless it's changed, the best way to browse gamepass is actually through Gog galaxy. You add your account to it and every gamepass game that's available shows up.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Eason the Fifth posted:

Seeing Quake, Blood et. al called 'boomer shooters' makes me feel terribly and unfortunately like Marty McFly at the arcade in Back to the Future 2

Nah man, should feel the opposite.
Regen back to full health behind cover, what like a baby?
Juggling Shamblers on nightmare mode on 50 health and shotguns only.
Boomer shooters will make you a god drat sexual Tyrannosaurus.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

somebody's twisting my arm to play kingdom hearts ii. does the combat get good at some point?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mescal posted:

somebody's twisting my arm to play kingdom hearts ii. does the combat get good at some point?

In all honesty: it's not Devil May Cry, but the KH combat at higher levels once you have a skill or two is pretty drat solid action RPG stuff. Note: this applies more the further in you get, revisiting KH1 is loving rough now.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Kingdom Hearts 2 is pretty drat fun tbh. The third game is a little braindead.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Sininu posted:

It's simple as that (tick "authorize library sharing on this computer" and don't forget to tick your username next, in the same window) and no, you cant play his games while he's playing anything at all from his library.

You can sometimes get around this by turning steam to offline mode. So if your buddy loves to play steam minesweeper or something that doesn't require an internet connection...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

finished inscryption and not much has changed since my review on the previous page. it does add a few fun little meta quirks in the third act and finale but it's not a significant shift. the finale i think needed a little more oomph. although going full yu-gi-oh in the final "battle" was kinda funny even though it was meaningless

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Unless it's changed, the best way to browse gamepass is actually through Gog galaxy. You add your account to it and every gamepass game that's available shows up.

I just tried this and it works pretty ok.

Only issue is that it also adds console only games. It seems to work really well so far though.

I only had the GoG launcher installed because I got a cheap CP2077 key but this definitely seems like a good reason to keep it installed permanently now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The people behind Vigilantes (on sale for 6$) are doing a kickstarter:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/958692255/prometheus-wept-a-post-digital-turn-based-rpg

quote:

Prometheus Wept is a turn based RPG set on a near-future earth where the majority of our digital technology and digitally stored information has been destroyed. The game offers hardcore squad-level combat, with simultaneous battles between cyberspace and the physical world, meaningful choices, deep character progression and an advanced crafting system.

The goal is to create a relatively short, 10-16 hour experience, with an emphasis on design, variety, story-telling and quality over quantity.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

Busy Bee posted:

Steam Family sharing sort of works like a library where your accounts are the books.

When someone has the "book" (playing games attached to someone's account), the other can't do anything with the same "book/account". Steam has even updated the client to display "borrow" instead of "play" when you have a game from a family member's account.

Things you can do:

- You can play games on his account while he plays games from your account.
- Assuming he's not playing a game that needs an internet connection, he can restart steam in Offline mode, and then you will both be able to play games on his account (and vice versa).

If you are playing one of his games and he comes online and plays a game, you'll have 5 minutes before Steam will kick you off the game.
The main user of an account can always kick people off and play their games.

My husband and I use family sharing a lot so I know a bit about it's foibles. It would be really, really nice if it was just a game that was in use instead of a whole account, but I doubt game publishers would ever allow that to happen.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Busy Bee posted:

Yes you log in to his account once and then hit a button in a menu somewhere, and from then on you can access his library from your own account on that machine.

Family share is basically the same as if you just logged into his account with his password whenever you wanted to play, just with less log-in-log-out shuffle and no having to hold onto other people's passwords. (Actually I'm pretty sure Valve only implemented it to stop people from logging in with their friends' passwords all the time.)
Just like only one person can be online on his account at a time, only one person can use the family-share library at a time. What this means is that if he's logged in playing any game online on steam, you can't access his account at all.
However if the owner of the account sets himself as offline on steam (or maybe "invisible" too, idk), then you can both play at the same time.

e: There's also some kind of :filez: way to modify your Steam client to disable the online-check DRM and let people play with the same library at the same time even when they're all online.
I know some friends who use it to play 3-4 player multiplayer games when only one of them owns the game, but I haven't asked about the details.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 8, 2021

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I DID IT

I GOD drat FINALLY DID IT

I BEAT THE MANTIS LORDS

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

StrixNebulosa posted:

I DID IT

I BEAT THE MANTIS LORDS
Ha I uninstalled at this point last night because it was such a pain in the rear end to get back there/anywhere from the spaced out benches. Finally installing Bloodstained, hopefully it won't egregiously waste the player's time like HK does.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

StrixNebulosa posted:

I DID IT

I BEAT THE MANTIS LORDS

good job

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mantis Lords is such a great fight.

I started Bloodstained a few days ago, and I have bad news about the spacing of save points.
(It is really good about putting one right next to boss rooms though)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Joe Man posted:

Ha I uninstalled at this point last night because it was such a pain in the rear end to get back there/anywhere from the spaced out benches. Finally installing Bloodstained, hopefully it won't egregiously waste the player's time like HK does.

bad job

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

The Joe Man posted:

get better moron

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

stux you need to be considerate of gamers who are bad at game

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I really tried with hollow knight, but it doesn't have color blind options, and I couldn't get it to work well enough with my filter, so I had a lot of problems trying to figure out what was, and was not steppable, and I kept losing enemies in the background.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
the only thing i need to consider is whether kahmahameha or destructo disc

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cowcaster posted:

sounds like you need to be more considerate of goons who are bad at posting

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Joe Man posted:

Bloodstained is pretty easy on its default difficulty although it has higher difficulty levels that unlock after you beat the game.
I don't think I got stuck for too long on any bosses in that game whereas there were hollowknight bosses that I ground at for hours before winning.

Then again the spell I picked up and decided "wow this is really cool and good I'll focus on using this" turned out to be the most busted spell in the game and I think later got nerfed

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Cowcaster posted:

No no he's right, I suck at platformers. I'm more mad about the HK map and wasting a ton of time running through it. The bosses were fun though.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I mean, I like how big and weird the HK maps are. They didn't feel like they were wasting my time (or are, I mean) as they're so beautiful + it cuts down on grinding for geo. There's a lot of cool interlocking paths too!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Joe Man posted:

No no he's right, I suck at platformers. I'm more mad about the HK map and wasting a ton of time running through it. The bosses were fun though.

the good news is i think bloodstained is going to be a better fit for you but the problem is the bosses are going to be a lot more samey because not only are they not as tightly designed but you're just gonna shithouse them with a bunch of best in show abilities anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

The Joe Man posted:

you may enjoy deedlit in wonder labyrinth as a shorter and more straight forward game in a similiar style w more of a focus on comabt. game on