Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

madfury posted:

The Riddick game of olden days was loving excellent. All the other ones...not so much so I get where the feeling comes from. GotG looks just average to me and I dont like the visual style so a pass from me. Doesnt mean its a bad game though.

That Riddick game is the gold standard for movie games. I can't even imagine how many hours I spent on that bad boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Unpacking is out now. It's very chill and does a nice job of telling a story with no text, other than a one sentence thing that doesn't infer much at the end of each 'memory'. Also play Witchbeam's other game while you're at it, Assault Android Cactus rules.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Unpacking is out now. It's very chill and does a nice job of telling a story with no text, other than a one sentence thing that doesn't infer much at the end of each 'memory'. Also play Witchbeam's other game while you're at it, Assault Android Cactus rules.

Nice! I just saw that Unpacking is free on Game Pass, too.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Time Loader

quote:

Time Loader is a story-driven puzzle-platformer with tiny robots, alternate realities, nostalgic music, and primitive tech from the 90s!

He had an accident as a child so he studied physics and engineering all his life and built a time machine to send a little rover back to fix his accident. I really loved the demo for this one.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Rusty posted:

Time Loader
He had an accident as a child so he studied physics and engineering all his life and built a time machine to send a little rover back to fix his accident. I really loved the demo for this one.

If there isn't a point at which you type LARA as a password in this game I'm going to be disappointed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1325900/Demon_Turf/

quote:

The 3D platformer with attitude! Join Beebz in her ambitious goal of taking over the Demon Turfs and becoming the Demon Queen herself! Jump, spin and punch your way across the turfs with unique mechanics like momentum-driven combat and self-placed checkpoints. Time to face the Demon King head on!

quote:

☼ 101% ACCURATE GAME REVIEW ☼
☑ YOU CAN PET THE CAT

☑ Reminiscence of 90's 3D platformers
☑ 90's 3D Platformer hub levels
☑ Unique 2D artstyle in a 3D environment
☑ Sonic Robo Blast 2-feel
☑ A game completionist's DREAM
☑ Slick af controls with plenty of techniques and mods to customize gameplay
☑ Options for speedrunning
☑ Splatoon-esque songs
☑ Cute and feisty protag
☑ Likeable main characters
☑ LUCI

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I remember playing the demo for that, what I remember most was how underwhelming the voice-acting was, the gameplay wasn't amazing either but I couldn't remember that much about it. I can only hope they improved since then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
why is the jump animation so amazingly bad in a 3d platformer

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Where Cards Fall

quote:

Spread decks of cards to solve challenging spatial puzzles and progress through dream-like landscapes in this award-winning title. Traverse beautifully crafted, isometric puzzles that give way to a wordless coming-of-age story, that invites you to reflect on the formative moments of your own life.
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256805217/movie480_vp9.webm

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1570510/Undernauts_Labyrinth_of_Yomi/

A 60$ title from Aksys Games!

quote:

Escape from “Yomi” – a dungeon filled with riches – and danger.

You have been recruited into the Undernauts – a team of brave subterranean adventurers who comb the depths of a massive, monster-infested labyrinth in search of priceless resources.

Make use of your powerful skills and magic items to create exits and reach the surface alive.

As a Dungeon RPG, the player must dive through many dungeon levels and move through a grid system to find the correct path to proceed.
Players create a party of 6 in order to fight battles and level up while proceeding through the game's storyline.

Use the "Switch Boost" system to defeat hordes of monsters and create magical doors, ladders, and bridges to escape.
Make use of powerful skills and magic items to reach the surface alive.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1547890/Lets_Build_a_Zoo/

quote:

It's time to Build a Zoo! Construct and decorate enclosures, buy and breed animals, hire zookeepers and vets... then try your hand at DNA splicing, and stitch together over 300,000 different types of animal. This can only go smoothly...

quote:

Build your own zoo with over 500 different animals at your disposal, then splice together over 300,000 different animal combinations
Keep your animals and your visitors happy, with hundreds of buildings, foliage, path and enclosure decorations
Hire the perfect employees to deal with a variety of life events
Control everything that happens in your park, from what your animals eat to what eats your animals...
Decide whether you want to run your Zoo above board... or break the law and pocket the extra cash

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

https://twitter.com/moonglowbay/status/1455958677840662531

posting it here since i brought up moonglow bay. includes an autosave feature and apparently improved keyboard controls that i haven't tried out.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

https://twitter.com/moonglowbay/status/1455958677840662531

posting it here since i brought up moonglow bay. includes an autosave feature and apparently improved keyboard controls that i haven't tried out.

I got this game and even with the update it still is... finicky. Cute though.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I played it on Gamepass and it's pretty buggy and the gameplay interaction is not good. Like you can only change your rod setup in areas you can cast, just really not good feeling game. I also broke the tutorial at one point by mashing through dialog too fast.

It's cute and I want to have fun with it but they've made it hard.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

It also has some weird performance issues, at least for me. drat voxels.

It sucks because the concept for the game is brilliant, but it's just too unpolished.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thief Simulator is having a crossover event with just released Prison Sim:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/842180/Prison_Simulator/

quote:

Get a taste of prison life! Become a prison guard and deal with dangerous convicts. Prison management, lots of daily activities. Will you become the best guard in history? Or maybe you'll turn into the worst scumbag this Prison has ever seen?

quote:

- Experience life in prison in the comfort of your own home. Without any real-life consequences!

- As a prison guard, your job is to maintain order behind the prison walls. But on the other hand - you're in charge here. So who the hell is gonna tell you what to do? Are you gonna be the role model CO or a total a-hole? It's up to you, dude.

- Simulate the hell of a prisons guard's life. Look for contraband (you don't want to know where...), gun maintenance, or shoot some hoops during your break. Not enough? My dude, there's so much more!

- Check out our reeeeeally cool prisoner creator. But guys, please - no celebrities or politicians, okay?

- Experience the thrilling prison story (missing your fav prison TV shows? We've got you covered)

- This game is really fun for streaming on Twitch/Youtube. Srsly - give it a go if you're into that kind of thing.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

gross

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
gently caress that poo poo

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1491510/Recon_Control/

quote:

Recon Control is a turn-based strategy and 2D platformer hybrid focused on combat. You play as a commander of the small special operations unit. Choose the right fighters for specific tasks, train them, buy equipment, and lead your unit through a set of missions to the final.

Key features:
Hardcore turn-based battles with plenty of interconnected game mechanics.
25 missions which are divided into 3 separate campaigns.
Skill tree with 50 abilities. Active, passive, and secret abilities can shape your fighters for your desired play style.
57 equipment items to choose from. Weapons, armor, explosives, picklocks, and more.
Ironman mode for experienced players or additional challenge during the second playthrough.

It looks like steamworld heist, but now without robots

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1524530/Fantasy_Town_Regional_Manager/

quote:

It is up to you, the regional middle manager of the adventurers guild to grow this small hamlet into a bustling city. Will you stand the test of time, or will your works return to dust as many have before?

A turn-based roguelite city builder, where as your city grows, it attracts more adventurers! Chaos will inevitably ensue, so be ready to face all that running an adventuring town brings.

Your responsibilities as regional manager may include:
Constructing buildings!
Attracting the greatest adventurers!
Reading the some very odd news?
Discovering all the blueprints!
Sending adventurers on arduous quests!
Fending off your inevitable demise...

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Every time I see a simulation game that isn't the most AAA-polished experience, I always wonder what Let's Game It Out could do to absolutely obliterate the game and its systems.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does anyone here have any experience with this games series? The graphics look like poo poo, but the store description does sound a little interesting. I wouldn't mind an ugly but mechanically sound action RPG with VR support.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1593280/8089_The_Next_Action_RPG/

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1736300/LIBLADE/ This just came out, it's only $7 and I'm having a lot of fun with it. It requires a dual analog controller because you use the right stick to swing your sword and if you're thinking "that sounds awkward" I get it, but just a few minutes with the game blew those doubts away for me because it works really well. It's stage based with checkpoints you buy new moves and upgrades at, seems linear but you can jump back to earlier checkpoints/stages if you'd like.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256854442/movie480_vp9.webm

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1491510/Recon_Control/

It looks like steamworld heist, but now without robots

A side view turn based game, no personal aiming system. 3 campaigns with no squad carryover. Playing the second campaign now and not totally sure the developer kept that in mind. Enemy body armor on the first mission, ugh. But the maps are generally built with stealth as at least a possibility.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the developers (developer?) for outstanding demo Star Fetchers apparently made a kickstarter for the game's first proper episode and it was a resounding success. anyone who has an afternoon free should check out the demo on steam, there's nothing quite like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDwvIDzJnAY

ravennest_89
Feb 8, 2019

I bought it and played it Last night. I was laughing the whole time. Its like a sim theme Park on steroids. When i got to ser the capybaras jumping on a trampoline i knew this gane país itself

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1406850/The_Legend_of_Tianding/

quote:

The Legend of Tianding is a sidescrolling action game about Liao Tianding, the legendary Taiwanese Folk Hero. Explore the dazzling streets of Colonial Japanese Taiwan in the early 20th century.

Has a review that takes a hard turn in the final sentence:

quote:

I fell in love with this game when I played the demo some months ago, and it's as good as I remember! The graphics are beautiful, the story is very interesting and the combat system is one of the most fun I've experienced in a long time! I usually don't care about martial arts or games ambiented in this setting and era, but the game is so good I just swallowed my prejudices and Im having a blast.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

That seems fine to me? It's okay to be up front that you don't like martial arts or colonial settings

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Thirsty Dog posted:

That seems fine to me? It's okay to be up front that you don't like martial arts or colonial settings

Probably the word 'prejudice' was a little odd that's all. There's a different implication between prejudice and dislike. However the writer may be an international writer and not have English as their first language and those nuances may not be apparent to them.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Probably the word 'prejudice' was a little odd that's all. There's a different implication between prejudice and dislike. However the writer may be an international writer and not have English as their first language and those nuances may not be apparent to them.

I speak the Queen's English, and I can tell you that's a perfectly cromulant use of the word.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Bug Squash posted:

I speak the Queen's English, and I can tell you that's a perfectly cromulant use of the word.

You mean cromulent?? :) And I would disagree regarding American English. I dislike spinach but have no prejudice against it.

The Strangest Finch
Nov 23, 2007

Mayveena posted:

You mean cromulent?? :) And I would disagree regarding American English. I dislike spinach but have no prejudice against it.

I think there's a usage difference there though. Prejudice works best on "types" of things rather than individual things. You wouldn't be "prejudiced" about spinach but you might describe a dislike of ALL leafy green foodstuffs as a prejudice.

In the above review they say that they're prejudiced against games that occur in a given narrative space because it's a broad brushstroke and theyre not taking individual differences into account.

Regardless, most times your say prejudice you could probably sub in dislike, but I don't think the opposite is true. (Plus, given the cultural weight of the word its pretty strange for it to show up in a video game review)

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I think prejudice can apply pretty well to the food example. I am also not a big fan of spinach. So if you slapped down a bowl of saag paneer in front of me and told me it's mostly spinach (and assuming I hadn't already had saag paneer), my default expectation would be "I'm not going to like this". That's a prejudice. I have made a judgement about the dish before trying it. But I'd still try it, because I try not to be ruled by my prejudices and regularly try things I don't think I'll like to see if I was wrong.

Turns out I actually like saag paneer a lot! And it's not a matter of "turns out I actually like spinach" or "my tastes have changed", because I still don't like it in most other dishes. If you showed me a different spinach dish, I would still expect I wouldn't like it. It would take a few more examples of spinach dishes I like to convince me otherwise.

Bringing it back to games, I would say I have a prejudice against modern action roguelikes (caused by bad experiences with Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, and Enter the Gungeon), but still dutifully tried (and loved) Hades and Returnal.

KernelZee
Sep 28, 2021

I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
I had To The Rescue on my wishlist since one of the steam demo events. It looks like it released as a buggy mess, but the devs seem to be patching the heck out of it, so it maybe be a neat management(?) sim eventually?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/946720/To_The_Rescue/

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Mayveena posted:

I don't think so, English is my first language and that is a completely fine usage of it there. I'm prejudiced against shooters with Call of Duty in the title because I think they look dumb, I can't say I dislike them as I haven't played them yet.

Usage tends to suggest an acknowledgement that it's a judgement based on pre-defined notions, rather than experience of the actual thing.

edit: this could also be one of those things where a word has a certain weight in America and not anywhere else in the English speaking world

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alctel posted:

edit: this could also be one of those things where a word has a certain weight in America and not anywhere else in the English speaking world

I understand it the same way up here in Canada.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
I mainlined this thread over like four days and wishlisted 30+ games that I hadn't heard of prior. To everyone posting games, descriptions, and pictures/gifs, I salute you. :patriot:

Morpheus posted:

This is a plus for me. Not sure why RPGs need to always be 30+-hour endeavours.

I think there are two reasons for that- the first one is that in early RPGs there was a lot of grinding to level up to be able to move on to the next area so games would actually take a lot of time to progress so a lot of people are used to that; and secondly that a common, unspoken rule of thumb is to get at least 1 hour (ideally more) of play for every dollar spent on a game so shorter games get a lot of flak for being too short if they're not priced accordingly so there is pressure for devs to deliver longer games. IE- shorter from normal baseline length is unconsciously viewed as unfinished or abandoned.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I come out of hibernation to post something absolutely useless

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1127180/Robot_Vacuum_Simulator_X/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256757648/movie480.webm?t=1564607180

Robot Vacuum Simulator X. For anyone who has ever wanted to roleplay as a piece of computerized cleaning equipment, well.... this one's for you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
low key anxiety at how slow the movement is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Anyone tried this? I like the sound of it, and reviews are mostly positive, but for $80AUD I'm gonna need a seriously addictive game with lots of replay value, and I can't say I'm getting that from the store page.