Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ineptitude posted:

Aven Colony is free over at Epic games now by the way.

good lookin' out, I was waiting for that

Is patron the one where you have to claim hunks of land? i started a couple games of it, but had trouble getting into it, i think it was the cards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Jack Trades posted:

It's pretty good. Not very difficult or complex really but there's enough there to last a whole campaign.

Agree, I was gifted it some years ago and got an enjoyable 10-20 hours out of it.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

smarxist posted:

good lookin' out, I was waiting for that

Is patron the one where you have to claim hunks of land? i started a couple games of it, but had trouble getting into it, i think it was the cards...

Nah, that’s Kindgoms Reborn (which I think is good and fun). Patron is a much more straightforward Banished clone, but has edicts you can enact for costs and bonuses.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Speaking of Kingdoms Reborn, the upcoming update looks cool. Non rectangular farming, more buildings that interact with things outside of your kingdom, including zoos, museums, and tourism stuff. Also new desert faction.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

skooma512 posted:

Is there a way to make the morality meter go down? Like abusing animals or feeding guests to tigers?
In addition to the moral choice pop up quests, there’s a guy who shows up periodically who will buy your animals and sell you chimeras. Both those actions give you evil points.

Plus later you can get into butchering and stuff.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Okay, picked up Fantasy Town Regional Manager tonight and it just ate the last four hours of my life, so I'm recommending it to the thread. It's not particularly deep, and I think I've seen about 75% of it in those four hours, but it's less than :10bux: so it's still definitely a worthwhile purchase.

As a management sim, it's extremely straightforward. Every turn, you earn a little bit of money, and are dealt three cards for potential buildings to place. Each building costs money to place - an increasing amount for every copy of that building you already have in that city - and you may also need to pay gold to clear out trees or ruins from previous attempts to build cities in this location. Each placed building then increases your town's overall stats - either increasing its income, or increasing one of the seven stats that determine whether adventurers move to your town.

And it's the adventurers that are the lifeblood of your town, or more specifically, the defense of your town. Each turn, you'll get reports of monsters arriving or terrible curses or all sorts of other standard fantasy RPG problems that increase the threat to your town, and if you don't have enough adventurers to defend against the threats, the monsters will start winning, until they're strong enough to drive away the Adventurer's Guild and then it's game over, start a new town.

So the basic gameplay is figuring out how to manage your meagre resources - do you invest in more spending for more money later, or more adventurers sooner? Do you take out the dryad camp sooner when it's less dangerous or later when it's tougher but has cleared more space for you to take over? Play the cards you were dealt that you hate, or save your money and hope you get better cards next turn without falling too far behind in your defense? And it's fun, especially with the humorous news articles explaining what's going on in your town, but it's not particularly deep. Pretty much the only depth is that some of the random quests will unlock new buildings for that run when you complete them.

What adds depth are the rogue-like and progression elements of it. The various adventurer types offer quests to you, ranging from stuff you would have done anyways (like build a certain number of a certain type of building) to things that are interesting challenges to work around (like having to build twenty buildings in a row without clearing forests) to things that actively make your city worse or hold you back (like tearing down your own buildings, or making another adventurer group not send you new adventurers). When you win these quests, you win tokens, and tokens can be spent on a skill tree to make current and future runs better. Some of what the skill tree offers is standard stuff you'd expect for a roguelike - start with more money, start with more food, start with more support from a group, etc. But some of the skills you can pick up unlock specific adjacency bonuses - libraries attract more wizards when placed next to ruins, for example. Which makes your game easier - good placement lets you get more adventurers faster now - but also makes the game more complex at the same time, as you have to plan out for future placements and decide whether placing a building now for no bonus is better than placing it later with its adjacency bonuses when you don't have enough money to both clear the space for it *and* place it. And planning for future placements may screw you if you're saving space for a building you have to unlock, but the quest to unlock it never procs in that run.

Overall, I definitely recommend it at the price. If it were $20, I'd be much more hesitant, but at $10 it's definitely worth the several hours you'll spend on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

There is no manual save in Let's Build a Zoo and the only option in the menu is "Quit" so like I'm never sure if my poo poo's being saved or not when I quit. It does autosave but it also never tells me when it does as far as I can tell so I've lost some progress quitting before because it must save every 10-15 minutes. For as much fun as the game is the UI and controls are clunky and could use a lot of work.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

explosivo posted:

There is no manual save in Let's Build a Zoo and the only option in the menu is "Quit" so like I'm never sure if my poo poo's being saved or not when I quit. It does autosave but it also never tells me when it does as far as I can tell so I've lost some progress quitting before because it must save every 10-15 minutes. For as much fun as the game is the UI and controls are clunky and could use a lot of work.

I'm pretty sure the game only saves at the end of each in game day. Anyway, trip report!

I was initially not really interested at all due to the ~zany~ marketing focusing on weird animal combos in a bunch of identical bare enclosures. I'm glad I picked it up just for the poop luwak joke, there is definitely a lot more substance than just wacky animals. I haven't gotten too far in, but I can see that you've actually got options to reduce operating costs and obtain materials to improve shops. The research grid also seems pretty fun, classic "research this square to unlock the ability to research it's neighbors" type thing. The morality system isn't too complicated, it seems you're expected to go all in on one end or the other. Animals require food that you can balance the composition of, water, and enrichment. I'm a little disappointed to see that all enrichment items work with all animals, so you get snakes chasing a ball around I guess? Other than that decorations like plants and trees are just decorations and don't do anything for your animals. I was initially not too happy about that, but seeing how much clear space water bowls and enrichment items need I have ended up not decorating at all. Maybe I'm supposed to be building way larger exhibits? I also think the zookeepers can't walk on flowers/tall grass, but that might have been a bug. I agree that the UI is pretty clunky and staff management is a huge pain in the rear end. Zoning especially really sucks imo

Overall the games made a great first impression and I don't regret buying it!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm enjoying Let's Build A Zoo but I'm finding the UI is getting really clunky when it comes time to rearrange the park. I also don't know how big to really make pens so I'm just plopping down 15x15 pens and selling/butchering when they get too full. Money really hasn't been an issue at all, I feel the real bottleneck is research points as I haven't yet found a way to get more researchers or improve that area.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Down and to the right of the research grid has an option for a second researcher, had anyone gotten the recycling to work? I got the center and the bins but nothing is getting recycled.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

socialsecurity posted:

Down and to the right of the research grid has an option for a second researcher, had anyone gotten the recycling to work? I got the center and the bins but nothing is getting recycled.

:aaaaa: I guess I just need to grind out some more of these research topics and hope I picked the right direction. I'm not the biggest fan of this kind of research layout. It's too much on the trial-and-error side.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
True, but it doesn’t seem random. And notice the categories on the left side of the research screen. Click one and it’ll highlight items that affect that category so you can kind of be pointed in a direction.

Also if you click an enclosure, then click edit enclosure, then click change shape, it’ll let you redraw the boundaries while keeping the contents intact.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Some of what the skill tree offers is standard stuff you'd expect for a roguelike - start with more money, start with more food, start with more support from a group, etc.

This sentence was physically painful to me.
Thanks.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing

smarxist posted:

anyone checked out Imagine Earth? I think it just left EA, got like 80% on Steam, looks interesting

Its a fun little game I put a bunch of hour into for the campaign. The city building is fairly simple but the planet is round which is cool.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I want to like Wizards and Warlords. It reminds me a lot of Master of Magic, but there are a bunch of systems I don't understand at all. Followers are especially confusing. I've no idea what makes a follower good or not, or who to use for which tasks. My good-aligned Halfling rogue whose only remotely social trait is "amiable" somehow makes a good emissary to the evil ogres, while my evil ogre with the "diplomacy" trait is not even listed as an option.

Lots of little fiddly systems that aren't well explained or explained at all.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

LLSix posted:

I want to like Wizards and Warlords. It reminds me a lot of Master of Magic, but there are a bunch of systems I don't understand at all. Followers are especially confusing. I've no idea what makes a follower good or not, or who to use for which tasks. My good-aligned Halfling rogue whose only remotely social trait is "amiable" somehow makes a good emissary to the evil ogres, while my evil ogre with the "diplomacy" trait is not even listed as an option.

Lots of little fiddly systems that aren't well explained or explained at all.

I've been meaning to give that a true go for the longest time. Somehow Shadow Empire was easier to get into

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I bought City of Gangsters last week and it's giving me a serious case of one more turn-itis. I don't think I had stayed up till past 2 because of a video game in several years. The UI is kind of clunky and I haven't even properly started on route automation yet, but it has that combination of spinning plates with a CK2 emergent storytelling thing going on in the background that tickles my brain the right way.

I just hope the game has staying power once I've learned the main production chains and that more game mechanics will be added in the future.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Made a quick little edit to one of the default maps in Timberborn:

It's the Diorama map with the lower edges trimmed off to be 40x40 instead of the original's 50x50. Same starting berries, roughly similar starting timber, approx 2/3 the total iron amount of the original.

Available for download here

Made this because I felt like the original wasn't really forcing me to irrigate and use the flat land that starts out dry.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hey folks, how is Ark as a management/crafting game?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Don't play ARK at all, especially not solo or with like, 1 or two other people. Its not a good game and it's also a game meant to played in groups of 40+, where someone will always be online and maintaining your poo poo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

ShootaBoy posted:

Don't play ARK at all, especially not solo or with like, 1 or two other people. Its not a good game and it's also a game meant to played in groups of 40+, where someone will always be online and maintaining your poo poo.

I guess I'm looking for a crafting/exploration game that's not Astroneer. I have nearly 2,000 hours in Astroneer and I'm getting a little tired of it. Maybe Valheim? But I'm always dying in Valheim. Is the crafting good in Valheim? I could just keep practicing at staying alive if it's really good.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I would say that Valheim may not be your style; there's going to always be grinds and boss fights and it sounds like you're looking for something a bit more light, or which you can set to an easier challenge. It depends on how much you want to make absurdist architecture out of iron banded wood.

You might want to look (again) at Medieval Dynasty if you haven't yet; there's "combat" but all of the enemies have chase radii which will make them (sometimes hilariously) just turn around and walk back to their start point, so worst case you can just outrun things. It definitely has its pain points, and I'm not sure if it's necessarily as "chunky" as you prefer. All of your resources are magically available amongst sites, etc. Still, it's been improving a decent amount, so it might be worth looking at again if you have already.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Volmarias posted:

I would say that Valheim may not be your style; there's going to always be grinds and boss fights and it sounds like you're looking for something a bit more light, or which you can set to an easier challenge. It depends on how much you want to make absurdist architecture out of iron banded wood.

You might want to look (again) at Medieval Dynasty if you haven't yet; there's "combat" but all of the enemies have chase radii which will make them (sometimes hilariously) just turn around and walk back to their start point, so worst case you can just outrun things. It definitely has its pain points, and I'm not sure if it's necessarily as "chunky" as you prefer. All of your resources are magically available amongst sites, etc. Still, it's been improving a decent amount, so it might be worth looking at again if you have already.

Thanks, ok I'll re-visit Medieval Dynasty. Got it when it was in early Early Access and haven't looked at it since.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Just don't do the same mistake I did and marry the first person to say yes; there's no divorce (though your spouse may get mad enough to run off) and it locks you out of flirting, which is going to be the primary way to raise your diplomacy skill in the long term.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mayveena posted:

Hey folks, how is Ark as a management/crafting game?

Ark: I'm currently 80 minutes into it with tweaked server settings + some mods from a friend who has 5000 hours in it, and it's fun but I don't know if you'd enjoy the survival aspects. I've gotten eaten by at least two separate dinosaurs... but I do have a cool thatch hut.

Conan Exiles: would you like Ark but with better/more combat? I'm digging this but lol at how I had to mod in a pause button for single-player.

SCUM: would you like to do a LOT of slow crafting just to build a small structure? I adore this game but it's super weird and crafting is slow.

Empyrion: would you like Space Engineers but accessible? It's weird and janky but I love how it has features like "push F5 to summon a drone that can craft and build for you from your inventory" so you don't have to practice jumping to place a block.

In conclusion I don't know which of these would fit your needs. Ark MIGHT be worthwhile but be ready to tweak and mod things.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mayveena posted:

I guess I'm looking for a crafting/exploration game that's not Astroneer. I have nearly 2,000 hours in Astroneer and I'm getting a little tired of it. Maybe Valheim? But I'm always dying in Valheim. Is the crafting good in Valheim? I could just keep practicing at staying alive if it's really good.

Is Astroneers the one that's "plug solar panel into habitat" or the one that's "build solar panel, build cable, design power management system for battery, set rotation of solar panel"? Always get confused between that and Space Engineers

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Is Astroneers the one that's "plug solar panel into habitat" or the one that's "build solar panel, build cable, design power management system for battery, set rotation of solar panel"? Always get confused between that and Space Engineers

lol Space Engineers is like "what if survival game, but not for casuals"

It's very good but I can tell I don't have the kind of brain that enjoys designing power systems / mining drills /etc

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Plug solar panel into habitat sounds more like Astroneer. With the additional patches they've done over the years, you can actually design a power management system in Astroneer, just don't ask me how :)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I think the second one you are referencing Stationeers which is Space Engineers except PLCs are mandatory for atmosphere and power control etc.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Astroneers you just plop down a box with sockets on it and plug poo poo into it (at least of the last time I played it). So you drop a solar panel someplace and basically just run power lines into your every increasing network of chained power strips and that's as much as you need to care about.

As for Ark if you're playing on a public server or a pvp server solo and aren't some huge tryhard, don't bother. If you're on a private server with other folks it's perfectly fine. Odds are there's a goon server somewhere yet. If you do ark be prepared to log in at least once every day or all your poo poo will die of starvation. If you're playing it local and not on a dedicated server that's not an issue obviously, but it's a pretty tedious game solo imo.

There's always No Man's Sky. It's more Astroneer-y than some of the other suggestions if you want to stick to the space theme.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Volmarias posted:

Just don't do the same mistake I did and marry the first person to say yes; there's no divorce (though your spouse may get mad enough to run off) and it locks you out of flirting, which is going to be the primary way to raise your diplomacy skill in the long term.

ok, but what about the game?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

StrixNebulosa posted:

Empyrion: would you like Space Engineers but accessible? It's weird and janky but I love how it has features like "push F5 to summon a drone that can craft and build for you from your inventory" so you don't have to practice jumping to place a block.

This one has always been hit and miss with me. I've played it on and off a few years and it seems like some patches are good, some were not. But as far as janky space exploration with building and survival experiences go it's pretty dang fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

This one has always been hit and miss with me. I've played it on and off a few years and it seems like some patches are good, some were not. But as far as janky space exploration with building and survival experiences go it's pretty dang fun.

I've been playing it co-op and having fun! It's janky as gently caress, I've had to manually advance quests in some places, and I'll be damned if I can make a stable hovercraft.... but I have a hovercraft! And my base is going from garbage to actually having a fridge! Good stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hammerting might be worth a look in a week when it hits full release. Reviews are pretty bad on steam right now but it's scratched an itch for me, it's a super chill dig up a mountain, craft some poo poo, then sell the poo poo to people outside your mountain.

I don't know if the full launch is going to have any feature updates, my one big complaint with the game is there's almost no coverage or community for it. Fortunately it's not very complex, as long as you overproduce food it feels impossible to lose (because cooks will happily bake your last seeds, generating an irritating restart your farm from scratch problem).

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

xzzy posted:

Hammerting might be worth a look in a week when it hits full release. Reviews are pretty bad on steam right now but it's scratched an itch for me, it's a super chill dig up a mountain, craft some poo poo, then sell the poo poo to people outside your mountain.

I don't know if the full launch is going to have any feature updates, my one big complaint with the game is there's almost no coverage or community for it. Fortunately it's not very complex, as long as you overproduce food it feels impossible to lose (because cooks will happily bake your last seeds, generating an irritating restart your farm from scratch problem).

I picked it up in the last few weeks, and apparently I have 21 hours in the game now and definitely scratch an itch to watch stuff go by while drinking coffee. There's definitely some major systems like food (and possibly limits on green jelly for dwarven embassy missions) that are frustrating and need some more controls and ideally some way to buy more if you run yourself out of seed stock, or go the OG dwarf fortress way and have the processes that consume food create seeds up to some max. Similarly I'm not sure what I can reasonably sell, and what I can't. Metal ores better than Iron/Copper (all my tracks) but less than Mithril seem to be a good idea, I get enough of them and high enough value to sell.

Food I think I "solved" this morning by cooking the custom meals using only food (beets) and drink (one of the high end alcohols that also uses wine) that I can make from nothing, it's good enough for a bonus vs the bad modifier from eating sugar beets constantly. Unlocking all the other various options of meals didn't mean anything because I never had the materials to make most of them.

The metal materials and smithing I struggle to fully understand prior to building something, I'm not sure to tell how resilience etc play in to the actual final product and have made upgrades for certain equipment that in the end, weren't.

I haven't hit the fiery place just yet, I blundered in to some spawning area whose spiders are 3x as strong by value as a bit higher than it and had all my (non-high-end weapon/armor) dwarves get killed by it, so I reloaded from an earlier autosave and have been exploring more horizontally for now. I've also had decent luck by building an entirely separate set of manufacturing/food plant very deep along my elevator rail and then in both there and my main area using the 'keep X in building storage' option.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Volmarias posted:

I had no intention of ever buying Medieval Dynasty but this sounds hilarious. Is there really no other way to raise diplomacy?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Deltasquid posted:

I had no intention of ever buying Medieval Dynasty but this sounds hilarious. Is there really no other way to raise diplomacy?

I think it goes up for any of the potential townsperson interactions that you need to use to convince them to join your city. Those chat options were a little random back when I played when it first came out. The big difference between the men and women however was after you reached a certain level of relationship with the women you could flirt with them and that basically always works, so it's spammable whereas the men just join you and that's that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Deltasquid posted:

You can raise your diplomacy score in three ways:
1) flirting :wink:
2) completing questions, which turn into the usual bullshit "chop 20 trees anywhere" or "bring me 5 raw meats and 7 turnips," or my personal favorite "kill several wolves, but only after this evening, also this quest is due at the end of the season, which is tonight, and you lose reputation if you fail."
3) buying / selling

The amounts you get for all of them are relatively small, but 1 at least is very grindable (:wink:). This is a pain because diplomacy affects not just your haggling and thus process, but also the possible resolution of certain seasonal cutscene events. So, I can build every single person a new home and give them both a job and a steady food supply, but they really need to know how good I am with the ladies to know whether I'm allowed to give a rousing speech.

Sucks, but eh, the jank is real. I've got several complaints but mostly it's fine.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Skipping Foundation based on what was said in here.
Tried Patron and it is boring, BORING

How is Going Medieval? Looks combat oriented or tower-defense-y? Theres several screenshots involvingcombat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Sucks, but eh, the jank is real. I've got several complaints but mostly it's fine.

This game is grindy as gently caress, unfortunately. I'd turn on the cheat options when creating a new game since you can't enable them later.