Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Hey All,

So my collection, among many of the things I collect, is nuclear antiques. This is partially due to my physics/nuclear background but also because the obvious: Its cool

As well as things to detect them with

Some of which I design/make myself

So for most radioactive antiques, you have a couple things you can find:
Uranium Glazed like Fiestaware or Stengl

Which is ceramic glazed with Uranium Oxide to give it a deep orange, almost red tint, sometimes yellowish white. This is the most radioactive glaze you'll find due to the Uranium compound being on the surface almost immediately under the glaze
The more common spicy antique you'll find is green Vaseline glass and white/green Fentin glass, its not nearly as radioactive as the Uranium compounds are buried in the glass well mixed in. You can find this without a Geiger counter as well, as its UV reactive and will glow green under a cheap little blacklight flashlight

Other things you can find include: Radium, usually in the form of painted dials on watches or clocks. Rarely you can find Tritium items in old emergency signs, but due to Tritium's 13 year half life.

As well as Uranium ore, radioactive compounds, etc.

How safe is this
Fairly safe! Major risk is more with stuff like pure uranium compounds like ore which releases Radon, but that's easily mitigated with good ventilation. The other risk is, of course, occassional gamma radiation, but for the most part natural uranium found in these items are largely Alpha and Beta emitters. In a decent cabinet with good wood/glass it blocks most of the radiation, and gamma is easily dealt with by distance of more than a foot or two from where you sit.

For a good document on safely presenting radioactive items, check out the article "Here be Dragons: Care and Feeding of Radioactive Mineral Species" by Alyssa Rowan
https://dokumen.tips/documents/here-be-dragons-here-be-dragons-alysson-rowan-the-care-and-feeding-of-radioactive.html

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Oct 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Oooh, I don’t have much but what I do have is pretty neat: I have these two pieces from my great aunt’s attic plus some of the dosimeter pens which are in a box somewhere.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
That's a fascinating, cool and rather unnerving collection you have there OP. Loving the glow from the cabinets, in a Ohgodidontcarehowsafetheysayitisimgettingthefuckoutofdodge kind of way.

At what point did they wise up and stop glazing plates with uranium?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
That cabinet is the Danger Zone. if anyone ever asks.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
while it itself is not radioactive, I do have this solid metal sign that I found while cleaning out storage.

according to mom, she couldn't remember where she got it, but believes she acquired it before I was born, she thinks she got it when she was living in puerto rico. It's about 2 feet wide and a foot and a half tall, and weighs a couple pounds.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sentinel Red posted:

That's a fascinating, cool and rather unnerving collection you have there OP. Loving the glow from the cabinets, in a Ohgodidontcarehowsafetheysayitisimgettingthefuckoutofdodge kind of way.

At what point did they wise up and stop glazing plates with uranium?

Late 60s, although you could find some in the early 70s.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Uranium Glass is cool. Do you have any of the less common variants (Blue, Yellow, and/or milk glass)?

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Grew up looking at antiques of dubious providence and spiciness in Queensland Australia vintage/retro/MSM/Designer Couture and Pret a Porter and lux brands collections in antiques centers. Sort of like show rooms/ cube shop rent spaces looking for retro blouses mostly. Lots of glass art objects and consumer grade glass. I rememeber seeing the tall dark hard wood and velvet and plane glass with lead work and a black light shining in there. That and shifty thrift shop stock with no labeling just doing little Goîania pings in suburbs.

It's so pretty when you see a BIG collection of these too.

Lazy Fair
Sep 23, 2019
I have an old us army radiacmeter from the 1950's which I'm pretty sure is an IM-108/PD ion chamber survey meter. (not my pictures)

The battery is housed in a detachable compartment connected by a long wire because (IIRC) they didn't have cold weather batteries so in the cold you'd have to keep the battery under your coat to keep it warm enough to operate.

Doesn't really seem to be much information about it on the internet, just a forgotten minor relic of the cold war.

Lazy Fair fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 1, 2021

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Bookmarked! I have a survey meter that's not too old and only the mildly spicy bit from a smoke detector to measure. I need to get a few more things.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
All my spicy glass resides in my 50s Turnidge of London burled walnut dry bar.

Added the large precision bearing for a nice Demon Core esthetic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheGoonspiracist posted:

What speakers do you have matched to those subs?

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Do you know where I can get a proper clicky Geiger counter? All the modern ones just beep or have a digital screen and I need the clicky for A E S T H E T I C reasons.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Talorat posted:

Do you know where I can get a proper clicky Geiger counter? All the modern ones just beep or have a digital screen and I need the clicky for A E S T H E T I C reasons.

So there's a couple good ones I can recommend, honestly my favorite Digital one is the GMC-300e
https://www.amazon.com/GQ-300E-Radi...IS%2CB01KIG4YNO

If you want a more classical model, search around eBay for a Bicron or Ludlum Model 2 or Model 3. But you'll have to get a probe for it and it'll be a little pricier.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144277991523?epid=11017653862&hash=item2197a37063:g:n08AAOSwsyNhH9Vg

Or, the third option: Make it yourself if you can do basic soldering!
https://www.amazon.com/WSDMAVIS-Cou...YP%2CB000796XSC

As requested, here's my small collection of Uranium Glass marbles

TheGoonspiracist posted:

That's a fantastic little collection, and a fantastic little nook for it!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 9, 2021

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

BigFactory posted:

What speakers do you have matched to those subs?

It's a set of early 50s JBL 001s, 16 ohm, in some custom cabinets I made out of Brazilian Cherry flooring and some thick marine plywood. They're alot heavier then they look.

So the "subs" are just JBL 130a that match the crossovers and the 175 compression driver with a weird metal diffusion horn.

Nothing like a cast iron speaker body.

I love the compression horns. I left them outside the cabinets and used some 1/4 inch plugs to hook them into the crossover network from the outside.
They don't sound like any type of newer "high" frequency driver.

I'd recommend getting a set but good luck finding some for a decent price

I've got them hooked up to a Alexa, a Parasound Zamp and a little mini powered Yamaha sub for the low end.

I'd consider them spicy antiques because the patent for the compression horns is from 1947.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TheGoonspiracist posted:

It's a set of early 50s JBL 001s, 16 ohm, in some custom cabinets I made out of Brazilian Cherry flooring and some thick marine plywood. They're alot heavier then they look.

So the "subs" are just JBL 130a that match the crossovers and the 175 compression driver with a weird metal diffusion horn.

Nothing like a cast iron speaker body.

I love the compression horns. I left them outside the cabinets and used some 1/4 inch plugs to hook them into the crossover network from the outside.
They don't sound like any type of newer "high" frequency driver.

I'd recommend getting a set but good luck finding some for a decent price

I've got them hooked up to a Alexa, a Parasound Zamp and a little mini powered Yamaha sub for the low end.

I'd consider them spicy antiques because the patent for the compression horns is from 1947.

That rules ty.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Some old timer left a few old pro nuke bumper stickers in an empty cubicle at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kreeningsons posted:

Some old timer left a few old pro nuke bumper stickers in an empty cubicle at work.

I totally want the bottom one.