Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm hoping for Estelle to sing IDGAF. Won't happen of course. But a goon can dream, and maybe make a low effort edit.

Poil fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I just can't picture Wilbur hitting those JT high notes.

Please let her sing Cathy’s Clown

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spoilers: Estelle is going to sing WAP

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Feb 25, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 19-20, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Gonna go out on a limb and say the twist of Crabgrass is there are no officially-recognized mascots and stuff.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

readingatwork posted:

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 19-20, 1990)

The last panel of this strip really stayed with me as a kid, and I dare say it may have saved my life once or twice.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! November 29, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True December 27, 1918

Gay and Her Gang December 24, 1929

Oaky Doaks May 27, 1936

Mopsy August 4, 1937

Up Front September 7, 1944

Dark Laughter August 27, 1949

Those Were the Days March 7, 1957

Wee Pals February 16, 1966

Dogbert August 17, 1966

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (March 7, 1934)

Peanuts (November 13, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (June 10, 1938)

Out Our Way (September 23-25, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (April 25-27, 1918)

Dok's "I Got Your Wake Up Call Right Here" Duck (November 9, 1913)

Little Lefty gives us "yellow journalism". (August 15-17, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (April 23-25, 1931)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Vargo posted:

This is a slippery slope to the James Allen defense.

The thing about James Allen is when you pointed out he uses references (and clip art) in his comic he reacted with all the disgust and defensiveness as if you'd accused him of taking a poo poo on his family's kitchen table. If he'd replied with, "Yeah, of course. Most comic strip artists do. It saves a lot of time and effort," you could kind of respect that answer.

Now, I don't know much about Greg Evans' personality, I might be completely off-base here, but I suspect if you told him you can tell he uses references and clip art in his strip, his response would be somewhere in the neighborhood of, "Yes, obviously, what's your problem?" I think that is a perfectly fine response to have.

Luann is bad, but it's because of the bad characters and the bad story, not because of the bad art.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rUwvbKV238

Selachian posted:

Brenda Starr 7/20/47
There are a lot of terrible people in these old comics, but this guy might be the worst.

Powered Descent posted:

Further evidence that they're setting up Heloise to succeed her father.
They've been teasing that for years. They will never do it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Slammy posted:

Dark Laughter August 27, 1949

Which song was this supposed to be?

Regardless, in any case, in today's Blueberry: Blueberry (and myself) get annoyed at Alistair, or Lieutenant Private Blueberry gives a suggestion, or Blueberry's approach to carrot-and-stick method could be slightly improved upon, imho

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

I like that cartoon, it's a legit snapshot of the change in generational experience as a change reinforced by the Depression's depression (ahem) of unskilled youth labour wages vs returns to schooling -

albeit mid 1937 is right in the teeth of the 1938 recession; it would not be until WW2 that the unemployment rate truly returns to pre-Depression levels

the cultural moment returns in the boomtime 1950s, albeit the 1950s period is where the norm of secondary education is already generationally entrenched and it is sky-high full employment levels that are drawing students back to the labour force (and thereby threatening future earnings once again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YiYJS5kgJ0

quote:

Get out of bed
It's the first day of school
Don't be a slob
Don't get a job
Go back to class
You can pass!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Judge Parker (May 2021)
When I last left off, Sam chased the woman who was pretending to be April (Strand) and she knocked him unconscious. Meanwhile, the real April was confronting Randy and trying to convince him to run away (from the CIA) with her. Now Abbey's driving around looking for Sam and Alan is trying to find out what's going on with Randy. It's all very chaotic.

Eventually, the police show up at Randy's house and find Sam and Abbey there, with Alan arriving shortly afterward.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 3, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 3, 2000)

Garfield Classic (February 3, 1990)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Cat boobs.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Samovar posted:

Which song was this supposed to be?

In the Evening by the Moonlight, going by the context.

It looks as though there was a variation that changed "you can hear us" to "you can hear them" and I believe that's what's being referenced in the comic. Given the race of the people in the cartoon, this is an early version of the joke about white people singing rap lyrics and finding themselves stuck for a euphemism.

Pastry of the Year fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 10, 2021

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 11/9/01

Brenda Starr 7/21/47

Smokey Stover 5/21/44

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Hostile V posted:

Gonna go out on a limb and say the twist of Crabgrass is there are no officially-recognized mascots and stuff.

The dad recognized the purple mascot, but maybe the character was phased out and that's why they're living in a secret goblin city now. I'm wondering if he'll try to show Brock and the kids but everything will be gone or something like that.

Kid Fenris posted:

The last panel of this strip really stayed with me as a kid, and I dare say it may have saved my life once or twice.

Yeah that's a really good moral.

Crab Dad posted:

My wife use to be able to eat a sandwich while working in the engine room of a small ship in heavy seas and not get a twinge of seasickness. When she got pregnant she immediately started getting seasick and her sensitivity to it never went away even 12 years later.

Interesting. That sucks that it affected her permanently.

Vintage Valiant (Mar. 14, 1948)

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Slammy posted:

Mopsy August 4, 1937

“Thanks, it has pockets!”

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

There…what? How is this…I mean, there’s no way he thought that this incredibly common thing, even outside of Louisiana, is actually a punchline, right? I hate him.

quote:

Little Lefty gives us "yellow journalism". (August 15-17, 1935)

Hearst puts out a good newspaper

…for me to poop on!

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

And double posting because the one above was getting a bit long.

Classic Zits

100 Demons: Classifieds

Childhood is Hell

Check out the t shirts! Anyone know what character is on the right hand shirt?

Sylvia

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Nov 10, 2021

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bort Samson?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I could write an entire essay of my thoughts on A+J's handling of female desire and sexuality, and how the men in the comic react to it. The only joke I can recall JJ saying he regrets is this one:

He felt like the comic sold her out for a gag, and it's the only time he punished a character in this way with a joke. He otherwise never treated Meg as a wage of sin, and never asked Janis or Mary Lou to apologize or feel ashamed for their sexual histories. It's a really good comic, and the fact he even thought about this gag again, let alone came to regret making it, says a lot about its creator.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 10, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ruth in this storyline (and in general) is a great example.

She's always way ahead of Gene, more of a handful than he's prepared for intellectually and sexually. But the comic doesn't hate her for it or expect its readers to learn anything from it. There's no "girl too horny" moral. She's a smart, adventurous, sexually aware young woman with whom Gene doesn't share much in common. But he's kind, and that's what draws her to him. Her home life is a mess, her mom confides in her maybe a little too much. It's no wonder she's in a hurry to grow up, to move out, to move ahead quickly. Gene never gets there, never knows what to do while their paths cross.

She's such a real person, and you can totally understand where's she's going, the life she has the potential to live. But we don't follow her, because that isn't how life works. We just have to hope that her big takeaway from her time with Gene is, "kindness in love matters, sometimes more than anything else."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The caddie on the right has a donut for a head. That's cool.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The caddie on the right has a donut for a head. That's cool.

it’s probably supposed to be a tam o’ shanter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tam_o%27_shanter_(cap)

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 3 - Daddy

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Maggie’s posters: Greenpeace, Pussy Riot, Unicef. Pretty much as you would have expected.

I don't know what it says that it looks like Maggie's room hasn't been touched since she left home (note the cobwebs).

Also I see AV potential in that goat in the third panel;

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Raskolnikov38 posted:

it’s probably supposed to be a tam o’ shanter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tam_o%27_shanter_(cap)

Well I mean yeah but I like my donut boy theory more.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Huxley posted:

I could write an entire essay of my thoughts on A+J's handling of female desire and sexuality, and how the men in the comic react to it. The only joke I can recall JJ saying he regrets is this one:

He felt like the comic sold her out for a gag, and it's the only time he punished a character in this way with a joke. He otherwise never treated Meg as a wage of sin, and never asked Janis or Mary Lou to apologize or feel ashamed for their sexual histories. It's a really good comic, and the fact he even thought about this gag again, let alone came to regret making it, says a lot about its creator.

I guess I always assumed Gene was meant to be the butt of the joke in this comic as well, in the sense of "Gene is so naive that he's goggle-eyed by the suggestion that she might not have been in a 100% exclusive relationship"? It's a little disappointing to hear that that wasn't the intended reading - or at least not the sole intended reading.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I just can't picture Wilbur hitting those JT high notes.

Wilbur, afterward:
"hi, dawn? can u come pick me up from my rap battle?
it's over.
no, i lost.
estelle saw mary at the table and did a pretty devastating rhyme about it."

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I'm no checkers maven but it looks to me that if Blaze moves the upper king up and to the left, he can jump five of Pat's six pieces. Can't figure out if there's a way to get all six, though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I've read today's Mary Worth, and I am very pleased at the direction it's taking. Although Estelle's song choice is a bit top-40 radio

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

God the look on Cooper's face in the second panel :allears:

Go forth and smoke big ole doinks, backwards hat guy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Huxley posted:

Ruth in this storyline (and in general) is a great example.

She's always way ahead of Gene, more of a handful than he's prepared for intellectually and sexually. But the comic doesn't hate her for it or expect its readers to learn anything from it. There's no "girl too horny" moral. She's a smart, adventurous, sexually aware young woman with whom Gene doesn't share much in common. But he's kind, and that's what draws her to him. Her home life is a mess, her mom confides in her maybe a little too much. It's no wonder she's in a hurry to grow up, to move out, to move ahead quickly. Gene never gets there, never knows what to do while their paths cross.

She's such a real person, and you can totally understand where's she's going, the life she has the potential to live. But we don't follow her, because that isn't how life works. We just have to hope that her big takeaway from her time with Gene is, "kindness in love matters, sometimes more than anything else."

I get its how the strip works in general (as you say, that's life a lot of the time) but it's always a little sad when a character just quietly leaves the strip after being around so long.
Feel the same about Arlo's office workers, since the office space was just slowly phased out; happening in the background but we're not dealing with it anymore. & Gene's other friend whose name I never remember and who I'm not even sure when his last strip was

ahhh arlo & janis is such a good strip

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

what the uck

she doesn't want to. you don't even like the one kid you interact with