Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for "disrespecting" our friend who died at a high school reunion?

I thought he died AT the reunion.

Dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I thought he died AT the reunion.

Dang.

WOOO!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ok good, thanks, I managed to miss that post

Peg Sliderskew
Jan 4, 2010

Something about burying his dick before the rest of him gets buried?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

keep punching joe posted:

She should take the initiative and ghost him first.

:trumppop:

purplestuffedworm
Oct 11, 2012
Somebody told me/That you were confronted/For creepin' by the friend/For whom the friend is a friend on this matter

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

the combination of young 'comfort me' anxiety radiating from her with the totally obtuse mis-step of 'mediocrates' from him is *chef's kiss*'
So-socrates

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

:golfclap:

Comme ci, comme çacrates

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
At first I was almost sympathetic to the dying cheater but he comes off really manipulative and the whole thing was obviously premeditated to boot.

I do wonder if she suspected he was a creep on some level all along, because fishing for gossip about your dying parter and then interrogating them until they snap is not normal "my parter is dying" behavior. It's "I already think maybe my parter is just poo poo?" behavior.

Which it looks like he totally was!

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

keep punching joe posted:

She should take the initiative and ghost him first.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for "disrespecting" our friend who died at a high school reunion?

"So long Cheeseburger"
As the man walks away from the grave, the camera slowly pans down to the tombstone.

It reads "Albert Einstein"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Underwhelmed posted:

"So long Cheeseburger"
As the man walks away from the grave, the camera slowly pans down to the tombstone.

It reads "Albert Einstein"Capt. John Miller

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I (25F) want to break up with my terminally ill boyfriend (29M)

Something about burying the lede

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

AceClown posted:

Edit: lovely snipe, have some more "weddings should be banned" content
I feel like Mary was intent on throwing a fit about something on her wedding day because it's the done thing, and Jewelry Friend was just the convenient excuse. It could have been something else.

When I worked for a carpenter who did custom work, we had some customers who would always complain about something or ask for small changes for no apparent reason. I think that for some people, acting like an rear end in a top hat and feeling like a bigshot is an essential part of the experience when they're buying something expensive.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Comedy answer is this is the wonderbread guy, but there's no way he'd even pretend he felt bad about being a creep.
First thing I thought of. I'm sick.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 10, 2021

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

yeah some people need to feel like they're contributing something by finding bullshit to object to, that's why any experienced bridesmaid will bill by the hour

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Cheeseburger might not have actually loved the nickname, sometimes heavy dudes lean into it because laughing with feels better than getting laughed at. But, dude's dead so who gives a gently caress how his friends want to remember and cherish him? Either he was genuine in digging it during his lifetime or he wasn't, but that's how his pals remember him.

I didn't know "conventionally attractive" was like, a suspect phrase. I just thought it meant like, hollywood/model type attractive. Whereas you might be attracted to someone who doesn't fit that mold, and recognize not everybody is into "hairy dads" or "chubby goths" or whatever it is you're into. They're attractive but maybe not to everyone. In this story the OP doesn't want to just say the model lady is "attractive" because then it sets up the contrast with his fiancé as "less attractive." Instead model lady is "conventionally attractive" so you understand that sister is being a pig about these things, but fiancé can still be "attractive" to the OP. Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I wonder if the problem was less the actual nickname and more that OP's clique was being loud and annoying in a group of people who knew Cheeseburger in different contexts.

I knew some guys in high school that were really different with their football team than they were with their D&D group or the yearbook kids, and if one of those groups took over a memorial and acted like their version of the dead guy was the one that mattered, that could easily seem lovely and disrespectful.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Guy misunderstood the concept of cheating death.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I didn't know "conventionally attractive" was like, a suspect phrase. I just thought it meant like, hollywood/model type attractive. Whereas you might be attracted to someone who doesn't fit that mold, and recognize not everybody is into "hairy dads" or "chubby goths" or whatever it is you're into. They're attractive but maybe not to everyone. In this story the OP doesn't want to just say the model lady is "attractive" because then it sets up the contrast with his fiancé as "less attractive." Instead model lady is "conventionally attractive" so you understand that sister is being a pig about these things, but fiancé can still be "attractive" to the OP. Or maybe I'm overthinking it.

No, that’s pretty much it. I don’t think it’s a suspect phrase, it’s just a shorthand way of describing someone as fitting what popular western media presents as attractive. Thin, white, blonde women; tall, muscular, square jawed if you’re a dude.

And yeah, I think he was just trying to phrase it in a polite way where it wouldn’t look like he’s going on about how much hotter another woman is in comparison to his fiancée.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I'm skeptical about this guy actually being terminally ill.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

sean10mm posted:

At first I was almost sympathetic to the dying cheater but he comes off really manipulative and the whole thing was obviously premeditated to boot.

I do wonder if she suspected he was a creep on some level all along, because fishing for gossip about your dying parter and then interrogating them until they snap is not normal "my parter is dying" behavior. It's "I already think maybe my parter is just poo poo?" behavior.

Which it looks like he totally was!

i get wanting to go out in a blaze of hedonistic glory as you are confirmed dying, but if you choose that path you have to accept that people will abandon you as you betray them

either die nobly with your suffering but supportive girlfriend or go try to hook up with all your exes one last time before pissing your money away on cocaine and skydiving or whatever

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

sean10mm posted:

Wrap up loose ends -- more like get up in some tight ends amirite.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

i get wanting to go out in a blaze of hedonistic glory as you are confirmed dying, but if you choose that path you have to accept that people will abandon you as you betray them

either die nobly with your suffering but supportive girlfriend or go try to hook up with all your exes one last time before pissing your money away on cocaine and skydiving or whatever

In your final days, make the urban legend come true: strap a JATO rocket to your car and run it into a cliff in Arizona.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Oh great, another case of an older dude creeping on a younger woman in the workplace thinking being nice is coming onto him...

Me [40 m] with my coworker/closer friend [29 f]. We're close, sometimes I think there's more other times I'm not so sure.

quote:

This girl and I have been coworkers for about three years and have become close friends over the course of the last year and a half. She got out of a relationship about 6 months ago and I have been divorced for about a year now and it feels like our dynamic has been changing recently – as in we are growing closer and closer. That being said, I’m not sure if I’m reading too much into it or if she has interest – at some point I will ask her but because of the age difference and having been out of the dating game for more than a decade I’m curious as to what others would think. For the record, the coworkers we are closest too seem to think she’s interested in me.

• She’s become more physical with me. In the past, she used to touch my elbow to tease me about how cold her hands were. She likes playing with my arm hair or stroke my arm and sometimes when we’re talking, she’ll rest her legs on top of mine. Now when she gives me hugs, they’re no longer the friendly side hug, she comes up to me and presses herself against me, leaning her head on my shoulder or chest. She’ll randomly grab my hand and have me follow her to help with something. If I tell her my back hurts, she’ll give me a back rub or massage. When I’m sitting down and we’re talking, she leans up against me if she’s standing up. She starts a few hours earlier than I do, if I don’t hug her when I come to work, she says something like “excuse me, aren’t you forgetting something?” When her shift is over (a few hours before mine), she asks me to walk her to her car. If I’m not working that day, she walks alone and doesn’t have anyone else walk her up.

• When we’re assigned to different areas of our department, she’ll come and spend time with me in my area. She flirts with me and some of it is mildly sexual – she comes from a pretty traditional culture (Arab) and she’s told me she usually doesn’t flirt like that. She also doesn’t express emotions. For example, she went away recently and asked if I was going to miss her. When I said I was going to I also told her that she can tell me she misses me. She responded with “I don’t really express those feelings.” While she was away, we were talking and I said I might call off on the day of her return to work and she said “you better not, I miss you.” When I asked her about not expressing herself, she sent back a winky face.

• Other guys at work try to flirt with her, she doesn’t really respond or just laughs it off. We talk about everything and text each other throughout the day. We always text each other “good night” and “good morning” even if we’ve had a day where we haven’t really texted. We call each other honey and sweetheart. She gets jealous when other girls at work try to flirt with me and will show me memes that say something along the lines of “when another girl flirts with your man that’s not your man” and has some random picture of an upset animal or something like that.

• A few weeks ago, we were talking about going to lunch together and she was making super elaborate plans about where we’d go and what we’d eat, etc…and she ended it by saying “and we can call it a date.” Unfortunately, I had to cancel due to one of my parents being diagnosed with cancer. We’ve both been busy and haven’t had a chance to reschedule but will have some time next week.

• When we do certain tasks at work that we’re required to do every night, we do them together and I call them “work dates.” She always gets a quick little smile on her face when I do so. If I’m not around she’ll come find me and say “time for our date.”

• She sends me pictures of herself all the time. If she’s out of town, she’ll send me a picture of herself at the beach or having a glass of wine, or whatever. She was out of town for Halloween and sent me a picture of herself in her costume. She’ll send me videos of herself with her family – I’ve only met her brother and sister-in-law. I’ll send her pictures of places I want to go and she’ll say something like “take me there.” Or if I send her a picture and say that I’m going there alone, she’ll always – I mean every single time – say “no, we’re going together.”

There are a lot more things she does that shows she’s interested in me. We’ve hung out a few times, and I’d like to ask her out but I’m not sure how to go about making it clear that my intention is for it to be a date and not hang out as friends.

I’m not looking for comments regarding dating coworkers: our employer doesn’t care and neither of us reports to the other. If we were to date and things went south, it’s easy enough for me to transfer to another location that’s about 10 minutes closer to where I live.

I’m also not looking for comments regarding the age difference. I’ve made jokes about our age difference, and she’s made it clear that she doesn’t care that I’m older than her.

tl;dr: pretty sure co-worker/close friend is interested in me. We’ve hung out in the past, but want to make clear that next time we hang out I want it to be a date. How to go about doing so without being an awkward gently caress.

ETA: as I don't think I was clear - I am very interested in her.

Uh... or maybe she's beating him over the head with signals...

UPDATE: Me [40 m] with my coworker/closer friend [29 f]. We're close, sometimes I think there's more other times I'm not so sure.

quote:

So, after posting and re-reading what I wrote, I basically figured it was obvious that my friend was interested in me. I gave her a call and asked her if she wasn’t busy that night if she wanted to go on a dinner date. She said “wait, is this a date? Or just us getting dinner like we always do?” I said it was a date and she agreed to go.

During dinner we chatted as normal but then she got serious and asked what took me so long to ask her out and that she had thrown all the signs at me that she could think of to show her interest. She said that she had almost resigned herself to the idea that I wasn’t interested in her as anything more than friends. I explained to her that I hadn’t dated in years, was nervous and just didn’t know how to go about it. After dinner, we ended up going on a walk . I’d like to say that holding her hand felt different, but since we’ve flirtatiously done it in the past it just felt normal and natural.

That was Saturday and we’ve been on a couple of dates since then. Everything just feels natural with her, kind of like we were already together but now it’s finally “official.” We talked to our manager at work and asked if there was anything we needed to fill out, she said no but also asked me why it took me so long to ask her out. Apparently, everyone at work thought we’d been together for a while.

So that’s it, nothing too exciting.

tl;dr: Asked my close friend out, she said yes.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

AITA For refusing to stop having girls night ins just because my boyfriend thinks it's wrong?

quote:

[Throwaway because he has myet main accounts password]

Hi so I've been seeing this guy "will" 27M for months now. He's so sweet and funny and creative. Fun fact: he drives 2 cars that he adjusted/fixed on his own.

We don't live together but we do meet at my place every weekend. He called and asked what we will be doing on friday and I said I wanted to host a GNI since it was my turn. He asked what the heck was a GNI I said a girls night in and he got quiet then asked if I was being series. I was confused as he started talking about how outdated and sooo 1950s those events are and said that I should stop promoting and advocating for those events as they are sooo toxic and flatout reek of misogyny. I was shocked by his long rant but he said that was his honest opinion. I told him regardless I still plan to host the event after he tried talking me out of it and suggested we go out together. He threw a fit after he suggested bringing his guy friends to join us and I refused since this is not how GNIs work!. He called me a sexist and misogynistic for having a girls night in and making it so obvious instead of being ashamed of myself. He said that my mentality will cause me issues in the future especially if I behave like that in a professional work setting. Let me tell you I was BLOWN AWAY by how he got so worked up like that over me just missing my girls and wanting to spend time with them. We argued some more and he hung up on me after I said I will not stop hosting or being part of GNIs nomatter what he says about it.

I tried to call and apologize for lashing out later but he sent a text saying he was hurt by how I handled our small disagreement and needs time to process what he just found out about my personality. This hurt me but my friendship and the bond I share with my girlfriends is huge and I don'the want to risk years of friendships by no longer being part of our bonding activities.

Aita? For making this my hill to die on like he says?

They've only been dating for months, so that spoiler alone is trouble. But he also doesn't want her to see friends outside his supervision and is trying to convince her that hanging out with other women is toxic and misogynistic. Also lol at the idea that girls' night will be harmful to your future and career. That's totally a real thing and not something an abusive 27 year old would tell an early-20s girlfriend to try to cut her off from her support network.

Chick should treat this relationship like a creepy fratboy's window and get the gently caress out of it.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Hughlander posted:

Oh great, another case of an older dude creeping on a younger woman in the workplace thinking being nice is coming onto him...

Me [40 m] with my coworker/closer friend [29 f]. We're close, sometimes I think there's more other times I'm not so sure.

UPDATE: Me [40 m] with my coworker/closer friend [29 f]. We're close, sometimes I think there's more other times I'm not so sure.

World's most oblivious man next to tent masturbator friend guy.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Hughlander posted:

I hate stories like this because even if it's true it's still something that creeps will carry around in their back pocket as proof that they should go ahead and harass the person at work that's obviously giving them signals like wearing clothes and having facial expressions.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

deety posted:

AITA For refusing to stop having girls night ins just because my boyfriend thinks it's wrong?

They've only been dating for months, so that spoiler alone is trouble. But he also doesn't want her to see friends outside his supervision and is trying to convince her that hanging out with other women is toxic and misogynistic. Also lol at the idea that girls' night will be harmful to your future and career. That's totally a real thing and not something an abusive 27 year old would tell an early-20s girlfriend to try to cut her off from her support network.

Chick should treat this relationship like a creepy fratboy's window and get the gently caress out of it.

He's so funny and sweet and has a copy of all my keys! Tee hee!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I (25F) want to break up with my terminally ill boyfriend (29M)

My (37f) terminally ill child(8m)'s Make A Wish was for a better family.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

deety posted:

Ugh. Guy's wanting to intrude into women's spaces in the name of ~*gender equality*~ is something I've run into a few times in real life and it always bugs me. (Of course there's obviously more going on here, with this guy trying to control his girlfriend's social life completely).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

some dudes are just really hurting for the loss of elks lodge poo poo where guys can hang out and wear stupid hats and develop weird mystical theories about jerking off together, and to that I say fair enough

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I hate stories like this because even if it's true it's still something that creeps will carry around in their back pocket as proof that they should go ahead and harass the person at work that's obviously giving them signals like wearing clothes and having facial expressions.
this is a really weird thing to take away from that story wtf

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

some dudes are just really hurting for the loss of elks lodge poo poo where guys can hang out and wear stupid hats and develop weird mystical theories about jerking off together, and to that I say fair enough

So they should be the change they want to see in the world if they want or like just go to a boardgame meetup or whatever people do

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

toiletbrush posted:

All good things may possibly lead to bad things at some point. Therefore everything’s bad.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Blastedhellscape posted:

Ugh. Guy's wanting to intrude into women's spaces in the name of ~*gender equality*~ is something I've run into a few times in real life and it always bugs me. (Of course there's obviously more going on here, with this guy trying to control his girlfriend's social life completely).

It's so obvious I don't understand why guys even try it or why they think anyone will believe that nonsense.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

toiletbrush posted:

Thank you

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hallo spacedog posted:

So they should be the change they want to see in the world if they want or like just go to a boardgame meetup or whatever people do

I think the idea is that you're not allowed to have mens' clubs anymore because the old rear end boomer ones they remember from when they were kids are now only populated by 70 year olds, got opened up, or got shut down for being rape cults. Hence the huffing about how it's no fair for women to hang out together

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I think the idea is that you're not allowed to have mens' clubs anymore because the old rear end boomer ones they remember from when they were kids are now only populated by 70 year olds, got opened up, or got shut down for being rape cults. Hence the huffing about how it's no fair for women to hang out together

I get it. But I always think it's weird because younger people could join elks club and make it younger. I think it generally still exists. So it's a self perpetuating issue also.

But I know our current work life culture balance is kinda incompatible with that kind of social life too.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Something about burying the lede

But if she's breaking up with him, she won't have to bury anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

this will never not be evergreen