Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyc_Tattoo
Feb 28, 2001

Tread Carefully,
lest thou rouse the
Coupons Dragon
Grimey Drawer
I still don't know how to feel. It makes me mad, pissed, disgusted and sad all at once.
I can't find the words :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I feel for his exes and daughters. Sorry you grew up to be a total shithead, and that the community you made mostly lives on in spite of you.

Also that mangosteen poo poo was hilarious

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

TenementFunster posted:

i almost said the same about you! hope things are well!

for sure. no complaints. this is basically small talk at a funeral, right? nobody quite knows what to say, there's a shadow over it from all the drama, and it was always hard to pick the truly bright moments out anyway.

People don't do well when they live their lives with too much attention from other people. It's not what we evolved for. Nobody can live up to everyone's expectations full time; and in comparison to a real celebrity, all Lowtax had was his textual and comedic interaction with people in this strange, unprecedented cesspool of online interaction.

Can't really call myself surprised.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
https://twitter.com/AliceAletheia/status/1458873494570250246

https://twitter.com/AliceAletheia/status/1458908994509185025?s=20

wot in tarnation

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So people were joking about the irony of EBaum outliving Lowtax; what's Ebaum - and his world - up to? Is the site even still around and if so is he still affiliated with it beyond the name?
I know Moot moved on to Google, because apparently creating a knock-off of a Japanese imageboard and then overseeing the rise of modern fascism qualifies you for a job with Google. And Maddox I think does podcast poo poo now?

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Rynn posted:

During the 2016 election anyone who toxxed for Hillary was told by the mod team that they would just be probated instead since it was a lot of people and a crazy happening etc

Lowtax decided he wanted that cash and told the mod to ban them anyways. So I had to spend $20 to get everything back

So gently caress him I guess
gently caress Lowtax because you made a bet and lost? :raise:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Lowtax had friends who have good memories of him. There are people who never saw his abusive side and regarded him as a good person. The thing with abusers is that they are very good at pretending to be nice people. Hell, they can even be nice to people they haven't chosen as victims. When you are the target of abuse, well, you get to see the ugly side. Lowtax maybe was a good dad to his kids and didn't do poo poo in front of them, that doesn't deny nor cancels the verbal and emotional abuse he inflicted on his partners. Him having mental issues that needed therapy doesn't excuse his behavior. He chose to act that way, he chose to keep acting like that, and probably right until the end he thought he would get his way again. He chose to end his life, and I don't feel sorry for him. He made his choices again and again, and this is the result.

A lot of the poo poo that came out about Lowtax reminded me so much of my abusive mother and what she made me go through, and my heart goes to his children and his exes. they are the ones who will have to pick up the pieces and deal with the damage his las act has caused. I can't feel sorry for him because he had many opportunities and the means to get help, but chose not to. He decided to keep living like he was, and this is where it let him. I feel sorry for his parents and relatives too, because they have to deal with the trauma of finding their son dead.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

the plot thinnens

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

Nyc_Tattoo posted:

I still don't know how to feel. It makes me mad, pissed, disgusted and sad all at once.
I can't find the words :/

well there's a sense of loss, and as a mostly emotionally burnt out person from decades of exposure to All This Kind Of poo poo, even i'm feeling something.

At the very least, it forces you to look back at it all, and man, weird, strange, inexplicable things of all sorts happened here and because of him, directly or indirectly. Makes it clear there's no real narrative to history; why him, why all of this? There's no drat reason at all. Right place at the right time explains basically everything.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Squiggle posted:

Where's Cheesegod, and is it still possible to vote for him

fuctifino I still have an old mp3 of you playing violin and have had multiple people ask me what it was when it came on and it's always like trying to explain my IRC friends to my mom in high school.

Paging Cheesegod

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

Cat Hassler posted:

Didn’t he lease a brand new 2020 Nissan GT-R a couple years ago? Like when he was begging for spine money and lying about web hosting costs

This whole thing makes me feel bad

Goons will forever and always be fleeced into paying for anything.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
:10bux: is going for $47,000

Jeffrey should buy it

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Unlucky7 posted:

I don't remember where, but someone once said of Lowtax that the only thing worse than growing up, is not. I think about that a lot, and I think it is still applicable to him, right to the end.

I mean, sometimes I think I haven't grown up at all. I still like candy and vidya and all that poo poo. But there are when I've had be an Adult (Covid) and I realize how much I've grown

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
i love the internet

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Squiggle posted:

Where's Cheesegod, and is it still possible to vote for him

no

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well this whole situation sucks.

Condolences to his family.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

loopsheloop posted:

Jeffrey should right click -> save as...

ftfy

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

:10bux:

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010

You wouldn't download a car!!!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

the thot thickens

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

loopsheloop posted:

Jeffrey should buy it

Jeffrey should DMCA it

Ryouga
Jul 27, 2004

what the gently caress

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Shame Boy posted:

Jeffrey should DMCA it

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Squiggle posted:

fuctifino I still have an old mp3 of you playing violin and have had multiple people ask me what it was when it came on and it's always like trying to explain my IRC friends to my mom in high school.

Daaw. Thanks. And yeah, it's a long time ago. I lost a poo poo load of stuff over the years, but a few are rescued including Place des Vosges on the soundcloud.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

STOP! STOP THIS RIGHT NOW!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Does Jeff own the asset?

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug
Well, Lowtax made an impact. Not always a good one. Thanks for the good parts.

EDIT: it was these very forums that introduced me to the Reject Parents thread where people discussed exactly how bad their parents had been.

MattWPBS posted:

Last time I was on here was when the spine thing was going on, so just been catching up on the fallout from that, and cancelling the Patreon thing.

Go donate to the GoFundMe for his kids. If you can afford it, try to top out what you've spent on here and the spine stuff.
I wasn't sure how people were still funding his Patreon after word got out about his abuse but that makes more sense if you haven't been here for a while and just fired and forgot.

It was well down off the 10K peak. What's Patreon going to do with the money still sitting there for the next month?

Serjeant Snubbin fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 12, 2021

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I'm really hoping we can get a Gamequoter post in here

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Eyyy it's like pumping your arm at an 18-wheeler until it blows the horn on the freeway

fuctifino posted:

Daaw. Thanks. And yeah, it's a long time ago. I lost a poo poo load of stuff over the years, but a few are rescued including Place des Vosges on the soundcloud.

It's solo string two! Amazing to hear it and the others again, in all the years it's always been one of my favorite finds from this place. I hope you are well

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Nov 12, 2021

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Too many JPEG artifacts; it's worthless

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Shame Boy posted:

Jeffrey should DMCA it

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/AliceAletheia/status/1458909207705628680

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Rip that guy, the forums are pretty cool though. Best 10bux I ever spent

Hope the kids will be alright

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns

Eason the Fifth posted:

the plot thinnens

lmao

Also I hope she ends up getting in touch with Rich's mom at some point, I feel like those two forces of bitterness colliding could generate a black hole of mean big enough to suck them both in

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
How are you gentlemen

(handling the news?)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Eason the Fifth posted:

the plot thinnens

She's all over his Facebook wall if you are really interested, but from someone who's looked.... nah.... it's not really worth it.

Tom Collins
Aug 25, 2000

does anyone want the first pressing CD of Lowtax's "ARC - Drain" musical experiments? starting price :10bux:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

I know I shouldn't but...who is this?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Tom Collins posted:

for sure. no complaints. this is basically small talk at a funeral, right? nobody quite knows what to say, there's a shadow over it from all the drama, and it was always hard to pick the truly bright moments out anyway.

People don't do well when they live their lives with too much attention from other people. It's not what we evolved for. Nobody can live up to everyone's expectations full time; and in comparison to a real celebrity, all Lowtax had was his textual and comedic interaction with people in this strange, unprecedented cesspool of online interaction.

Can't really call myself surprised.
it's our very own The Big Chill!

but yeah, i don't think anyone who has been paying attention to lowtax's trajectory since ~2006 or so is surprised. it started spiraling pretty quickly after that 2006 christmas card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

central dogma posted:

Goons will forever and always be fleeced into paying for anything.

There are cool charity drives here like sending honeybees to an African village

Then you get people throwing money at Doobie and Star Citizen and other sketchy fundraisers