Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I just finished the multiple-hour Tutorial Island in Far Cry 6 and I'm now in full choice-paralysis because the rest of the game opened up and it's like 10 times bigger than the island I started out on. I spent an afternoon getting into the basics of a game and now it's telling me that there's an endgame area around the same landmass as the island, but a whole city, and three areas easily tripled in size over that first island.

I know I was looking for an open world game, but goddamn. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't really get the dragstrip challenges in Forza Horizon. Every one I've done in 5 is just
1) Hold accelerate
2) Win by substantial margin

I find them fun, but I am simple. So take that for what you will.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I just thought I remembered them being a shifting minigame or something, I feel like I can't lose if I'm not swerving off track into other cars.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Gamepass has the new version of San Andreas, and its super terrible. The only thing that actually looks better is the road texture. That's it. Everything is a mess, the lighting is off, so any scene not in bright daylight is just a muddled mess.
Also, when they said they fixed the controls, what they did was make it so the right stick will aim, but your movement is still just like old games, so CJ still handles like a Resident Evil character.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I just hope you still have to hammer X to run, that was a great gameplay decision that was definitely good for them to keep for modern games

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

thecluckmeme posted:

I just finished the multiple-hour Tutorial Island in Far Cry 6 and I'm now in full choice-paralysis because the rest of the game opened up and it's like 10 times bigger than the island I started out on. I spent an afternoon getting into the basics of a game and now it's telling me that there's an endgame area around the same landmass as the island, but a whole city, and three areas easily tripled in size over that first island.

I know I was looking for an open world game, but goddamn. :stare:

I recommend unlocking the camps in all 3 "zones" and then building the thing that gives you hideouts. That makes island traversal so much faster, and lets the island be big without having to spend 3 hours getting anywhere.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Imagined posted:

Rockstar to me is basically the western equivalent of Squaresoft, or Kojima. They fell in love with their own "storytelling" and increasingly resent that you might actually want to play a game in between the movie they really want to show you.

Except Kojima makes games that are actually fun to play, like MGSV and Death Stranding. Also I hear FFXIV is fun though I haven't played 15 so I can't say poo poo about it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I had fun with AC Odyssey though I'll never touch the DLC because it falls into the tired trappings of the series, and also forces your Bi-as-gently caress avatar into a nuclear family unit.

What other DLCs, updates, or expansions helmed by a Dev team different from the main one fundamentally misinterpret the game? Like say a HalfLife expansion that has nothing but ladders in it?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I had fun with AC Odyssey though I'll never touch the DLC because it falls into the tired trappings of the series, and also forces your Bi-as-gently caress avatar into a nuclear family unit.

It does, until your partner dies and child gets shipped off to Egypt to be Aya's ancestor.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Captain Hygiene posted:

I just hope you still have to hammer X to run, that was a great gameplay decision that was definitely good for them to keep for modern games

So I don't remember this since it had been many years: did you have to hit it really fast in order to sprint? And if you just held it, did you do a not-as-fast run? If that's the case, I don't think it's a bad idea. It's a way to provide three speeds of movement without having to do the thing where you tip the analog stick in just the right spot or whatever.

But if either of those are wrong - holding x does nothing, or you had to really go faster that a couple taps a second, then yeah gently caress that.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
There's no reason ever to go slower than a flat-out sprint. It should just be the default speed. This applies to every game with variable character speed but no call for precision movement. Gamers HATE going slow, that's why we love Sonic Hedgehog.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Morpheus posted:

So I don't remember this since it had been many years: did you have to hit it really fast in order to sprint? And if you just held it, did you do a not-as-fast run? If that's the case, I don't think it's a bad idea. It's a way to provide three speeds of movement without having to do the thing where you tip the analog stick in just the right spot or whatever.

But if either of those are wrong - holding x does nothing, or you had to really go faster that a couple taps a second, then yeah gently caress that.

Yea, you have to hammer run to get going. I think once you are going you can hold the button to keep going.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
In GTA3 and Vice City, you could effectively sprint forever with no drawbacks by tapping X. Infinite sprint without tapping X, but instead just holding it, was supposed to be the reward for finishing the paramedic side missions, which were generally not fun and a pain in the rear end so only completionists would even bother with them. They reworked it for San Andreas and its RPG-style stat-building element: now your sprinting skill is tied to your stamina skill (which goes up by just running/cycling/swimming or by using the treadmill/bike at the gym) and tapping X is its own level of speed, above just holding X which is a slightly slower run. They kept this system for GTA4 and 5, albeit without the emphasis on the stat-building part. The paramedic missions are still in SA, but doing them all just boosts your maximum total health.

I don't know if they've changed all of this for the remasters though.

Hedgehog Pie has a new favorite as of 19:09 on Nov 12, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I still maintain the best way to play was to go into the dat files and make skill progression near instant

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I played the remaster San Andreas and I dunno if it's my tv or whatever but the game is just dark as hell at night. I can barely play it when it's night in game. I turned the brightness all the way up and my tv brightness all the way up and could still barely see.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I played the remaster San Andreas and I dunno if it's my tv or whatever but the game is just dark as hell at night. I can barely play it when it's night in game. I turned the brightness all the way up and my tv brightness all the way up and could still barely see.

Not just you. The Kotaku review of it said the same thing.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Captain Hygiene posted:

I don't really get the dragstrip challenges in Forza Horizon. Every one I've done in 5 is just
1) Hold accelerate
2) Win by substantial margin

It’s for all of the Kyankas out there who want to know what it’s like taking a GTR to their local quarter mile track without being able to actually afford one.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Was totally shocked to find out BioWare made a 3rd dragon age game. Adored the first one but never played the second because I heard it was awful. Picked up Inquisition for 5$ on eBay and have been having fun with it.

Definitely feels a lot like the first game but man, the camera has some serious problems when it comes to targeting elevation. Sometimes enemies will run outside the map and can still hit you while you can’t target them at all. Also the inventory management is horrible for a game that came out in 2015. No sort feature and hilariously, no way to see what a character is wearing without scrolling through your entire inventory and looking for yellow outlines to indicate “this character is wearing this”. Why the gently caress can’t I just hover over the characters’ inventory slots and see what they are wearing? This is compounded when a character is wearing two accessories of the same rarity. Which one are you switching out? Who the gently caress knows!

Edit: also what the hell is the point of horses? There’s very little open terrain and they are clunky to ride and slow down constantly plus you miss all of the material farming you need to do while on horseback.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 22:05 on Nov 12, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SkeletonHero posted:

There's no reason ever to go slower than a flat-out sprint. It should just be the default speed. This applies to every game with variable character speed but no call for precision movement. Gamers HATE going slow, that's why we love Sonic Hedgehog.

This (except I hate Sonic)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hi just want to make sure that I should be blaming Rockstar for the remasters looking like cursed mod caricatures and not like a Ponzi scheme of venture capitalists behind the scenes crunching the developers into their 15th panic attack this week.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Frank Frank posted:

Edit: also what the hell is the point of horses? There’s very little open terrain and they are clunky to ride and slow down constantly plus you miss all of the material farming you need to do while on horseback.

Some of the regions have huge amounts of open terrain, they can cheese fall damage (which is silly but whatever) and material farming isn't always a huge issue.

It's not a great implementation but they are useful.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Hi just want to make sure that I should be blaming Rockstar for the remasters looking like cursed mod caricatures and not like a Ponzi scheme of venture capitalists behind the scenes crunching the developers into their 15th panic attack this week.

Port was outsourced by take two to a Floridian studio called grove street games, formerly war drum studios

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

RareAcumen posted:

Every npc in the game has slight random variations. This is because the game is constantly taking screenshots of them and selling them as nfts. Next year this will serve as proof of concept for rockstar's foray into blockchain gaming - the player can "own grove street" making 0.0000000000001 gtcoin per hour played

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another Forza Horizon 5 complaint: the main progression of the game is split up between six sets of four unlockable races/challenges that you can access as you progress through the regular challenges. What I don't like is that, from the two I've finished, the final challenge in each one seems to be some massive 15-20 minute map-spanning race.

I love the racing, but I have a terrible time staying focused on one specific driving challenge for that long. I much prefer the standard 5-6 minute races.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

RareAcumen posted:

Rocktar ARE the ponzi scheme of venture capitalists. They made enough money that the work they used to do, they can now pay others to do for them and collect the profits.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Between GTA remaster, Skyrim rerelease I'd say 11th was not a good day for videogames.

*edited for wrong and bad

Vic has a new favorite as of 01:08 on Nov 13, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Elfface posted:

Rocktar ARE the ponzi scheme of venture capitalists. They made enough money that the work they used to do, they can now pay others to do for them and collect the profits.

Developers aren't the ones who get rich.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Developers aren't the ones who get rich.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Port was outsourced by take two to a Floridian studio called grove street games, formerly war drum studios

Ah, outsourced. I see. Google says that war drum studios used to do mobile ports so I'm gonna assume that some executive in Rockstar is to blame.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Are we at least allowed to dislike the Housers, even if you've played the hell out of their games? Because they seem terminally unpleasant.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They aren't at rockstar anymore

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Give me a map, I don't know who is what or where now.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Vic posted:

Between GTA remaster, Skyrim rerelease I'd say 11th was not a good day for videogames.

*edited for wrong and bad

Lmao Skyrim got re-released AGAIN?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Shin Megami Tensei V gave save points a lot of things to do! They're where you can fast travel, access item shops, use demon fusion, use several methods of progressing your player character, probably some other stuff I haven't unlocked yet...

In fact, they added so much that I sometimes forget to actually save the game, because reasonably I'm gonna want to check in on every other option before doing that. And since they're the only way to save, that's... a problem.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

Material farming becomes less important later on, ime, and the early maps are less horse-friendly in general, but you're less likely to have one at that point. I always go do the "get a horse" quest right away, but I think they're giving some leeway to the players who don't.

Also yes, you are immune from fall damage when you're on a horse. I don't know why. Don't question it. Use this knowledge to your advantage.

Edit: also, the awfulness of Dragon Age 2 is overstated, imo. It suffers a lot from budget cuts and time crunches, I believe, which does lead to "there's at least a dozen caves but there's like four maps that repeat, we've just blocked off parts so they're not technically identical." this, combined with the fact that the game takes place in and around one city so you revisit locations a lot, means that by the third act you're running through maps you can do with your eyes closed. This is insane.

That said, the writing is pretty tight, and there's a satisfying fluidity to the combat, and I've definitely played it enough to have lost track of my count.

RoboRodent has a new favorite as of 16:46 on Nov 13, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dragging down SMTV is I got it at the first of a three day run of 12 hour shifts, so I have no time to really dig into until tomorrow night.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
dragging down SMTV is that it runs like an earthworm caught in maple syrup

the Switch’s potato processor is really beginning to frustrate me

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
The story was dragging down Dragon Age 2 for me - the whole game frames this like “templars hate the mages because there’s a risk of them becoming perverse blood mages”, and the mages are like “please we are being oppressed because they say we’ll become blood mages!!”. The entire thing was framed with templars as oppressors.

And then pretty much every mage you interact with in the story becomes a blood mage and rampages, thereby just proving the templars correct?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Capital Letdown posted:

The story was dragging down Dragon Age 2 for me - the whole game frames this like “templars hate the mages because there’s a risk of them becoming perverse blood mages”, and the mages are like “please we are being oppressed because they say we’ll become blood mages!!”. The entire thing was framed with templars as oppressors.

And then pretty much every mage you interact with in the story becomes a blood mage and rampages, thereby just proving the templars correct?

It's like the X-Men conundrum all over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Shin Megami Tensei V gave save points a lot of things to do! They're where you can fast travel, access item shops, use demon fusion, use several methods of progressing your player character, probably some other stuff I haven't unlocked yet...

In fact, they added so much that I sometimes forget to actually save the game, because reasonably I'm gonna want to check in on every other option before doing that. And since they're the only way to save, that's... a problem.

Man, that's a huge bummer. 4 and Apocalypse let you save and fuse anywhere you wanted and it was great. It also added some strategy to fusing since you could fuse two demons that had exhausted their sp or were ko'd and get a new one with a full meter without wasting items. Was really hoping they'd keep that instead of going the Persona/Nocturne route with it.