Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LoonyLeif
Jul 17, 2001

You know, if Dave Thomas is really dead, then how does he keep coming out with all these new sandwiches?
In all seriousness, Lowtax and his site gave teenage me so many hours of free entertainment (yes, I joined right before the $10 registration fee).

I credit this place with helping me mature socially. I'll explain.

These forums have lots of edgy humor but the one thing that they taught me, weirdly, was how to separate that from reality. That's the difference between this place and what you're seeing all over the news today... Facebook people who believe in Q, Twitter people who shout about mask requirements at Trader Joe's, Parler people who print out memes and hold them at protests... Those morons are bringing their online profiles to the real world.

Something Awful's humor was clearly defined as an internet-based movement. We lived our disgusting lives on the internet, and left the rest of the world out of it.

Something Awful gave shy, teenage, awkward me a way to interact with like-minded people. Without this site, I might have been shy and awkward my whole life. Without you terrible goons, I may have ended up drifting aimless.

Anyway, thank you Lowtax, and gently caress you too, but mostly thank you. You're begging the angels for cookie money in heaven now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CornHolio posted:

So I posted it in the other thread, but after donating to the fund and sharing it on Facebook (where I stated nothing bad believe it or not, and no lies) I got this from Lowtax's mom. Kinda wanna send her hello.jpg but then we'd be connected on messenger and I don't think I want that.

You should donate more. We all should.

Her poison womb made the US Capitol too crowded.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe

darkpriest posted:

It's like a odd virtual Catholic Wake.

Hope your doing good. It's been a rough couple years.

It really loving is lmao.

Honestly I'm incredibly lucky given the insane past couple of years, and count my blessings, etc. I'm sorry to hear it's been particularly rough on you man, if you ever just wanna chat and need someone to listen to poo poo, slide into my DMs sometime, more than happy to listen :). Your content got me through some tough, very lonely times lol.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
proposal: a forum for "internet weirdos" and "Photoshop Phridays"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried mangosteen"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Someone edited the SA wikipedia page.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

This is the best thing I've seen today.

Jombo
Feb 20, 2009
remember that time lowtax got his rear end beat by a guy who makes lovely video game movies as a tax dodge for rich Germans

heh

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
As for that tweet about Anthony Bourdain I'll just say that i had a boyfriend who committed suicide and he had told me once he would never do it, because of someone he knew and how it affected their family. But he did end up doing it. Once your mind is in the kind of place where suicide seems like the only way out... I'm sure you feel like everyone will truly be better off without you and in that way it's almost the most selfless thing a person could do if you truly believe people's lives will be better if you're just gone. Yet people tend to think of it as selfish if anything, or "you're just transferring the pain not ending it!!" It's more complicated than that.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Eason the Fifth posted:

proposal: a forum for "internet weirdos" and "Photoshop Phridays"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried mangosteen"

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

tonelok posted:

Thanks. I had four posts in the last 10 years, but didn't really dig deep to see if I was missing anything.

wow there's a name i haven't seen a decade

it's really wild seeing all the old fossilized accounts come out of the woodwork on this weird and sad day

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 243 days!

holy poo poo lol

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope this garbage website kills itself next

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

tonelok posted:

Thanks. I had four posts in the last 10 years, but didn't really dig deep to see if I was missing anything.
drat, there's another old one

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

akadajet posted:

What are these accusations that he faked his spinal issues? I’ve never heard that and only one person here seems to be repeating that line.
Lowtax probably legitimately had spinal issues at some point, but the severity and long-lasting effects of the issues seemed to vary depending on how much sympathy he was trying to garner at the time. This was at the height of the abuse allegations:

Thanks Lowtax for making most of your Patreon posts publicly accessible.
https://www.patreon.com/posts/still-amazed-at-39693289

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Vice was founded by the nazi founder of the Proud Boys.

seeing your avatar reminds me that I had posted that scanned bunch of Spidey comics and made that edit to the panel in Gimp pixel-by-pixel all those years ago from which it came

it's really weird to think just how many impacts large and small this place has had on people. it's better having outgrown Lowtax, and as others have said it's tragic he couldn't grow with it

DWI Mickey
Aug 15, 2001
lowtax

the saddest shitposter of his generation

to come to such an end

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Wakes bring everyone back together

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Also, in case any other pre 9/11 goons are browsing this thread:

Shout out to the Yerf crew. You know who you are.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I met a traveler from an antique website,
Who said, "Two vast and trunkless Mangosteens
Stand in the carpet... Near them, on the computer,
Half drunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that it's poster well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the spine that fed;
And on the website, these words appear:
My name is Lowtax, poo poo Poster of poo poo Posters;
Look at my Frontpage, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal forum, boundless and gay
The lone and level goatse stretches far away."

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Pour out the mangosteen

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
I found Something Awful when Lowtax's EverQuest articles were linked on the EQ forums. It would be another 4 years before I joined the forums proper (Also I mean, I was 13 when I found the frontpage, having :10bux: was just not a thing back then for me).

I can't celebrate his life, because I've been a victim of plenty of abuse myself and it fucks you up so hard. I mean gently caress, I've gotten a restraining order against someone I met because of the forums. I'm so sorry to the people he hurt, and above all else his children. None of you deserved this and I hope if you ever read this it brings you a little bit of peace.

But I cannot condemn his life fully, either, because Something Awful was my home during my formative years. There's a lot from that era to regret - SA's culture back in the day was toxic as hell. But I grew up here, and grew up from the person I once was.

I spent a lot of that time wanting to kill myself from the pain I was in, and those feelings haven't ever fully gone away. But...here was an escape.

And more than that, this was the place that spawned the community I called home for much of the last decade, and that community was what let me blossom, come out, and truly begin living my life.

And none of that would have happened without Lowtax creating this hosed up comedy website I have such complicated feelings over. I'm not sure I would have made it through the years of everything being poo poo without this place. Maybe the me in an alternate world did make her way through successfully; I'll never know.

What I do know is SA helped me, time and again, in so many ways, when poo poo was bad and I needed an escape. Somewhere to just find something that made me smile, or laugh.

And for that, I guess, I am grateful to the part he played in helping nurture that.

I am just sad that he could never move past his own demons, and begin making amends to all the people he had hurt.

But he did not.

He's dead, and I'm getting teary-eyed over that, because this place was home for so long, and he was inextricably bound in that.

Tossed a few :10bux::10bux:10bux: to the GFM because his family deserves to be allowed to heal and move on.

If any of his exes or children ever read this, I hope you have found some measure of closure and peace.

His legacy is tainted as poo poo, but...he had a part in creating good things, too, and that at least I will remember fondly.

But also gently caress him for being an abuser.

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
edit: ^^^^^ Bruh :cry:. Also very well said. Man I'm so sorry some shithead goon abused you to where you had to get a restraining order. Glad you're still around tho :3

LoonyLeif posted:

These forums have lots of edgy humor but the one thing that they taught me, weirdly, was how to separate that from reality. That's the difference between this place and what you're seeing all over the news today... Facebook people who believe in Q, Twitter people who shout about mask requirements at Trader Joe's, Parler people who print out memes and hold them at protests... Those morons are bringing their online profiles to the real world.

Something Awful's humor was clearly defined as an internet-based movement. We lived our disgusting lives on the internet, and left the rest of the world out of it.

Something Awful gave shy, teenage, awkward me a way to interact with like-minded people. Without this site, I might have been shy and awkward my whole life. Without you terrible goons, I may have ended up drifting aimless.

Anyway, thank you Lowtax, and gently caress you too, but mostly thank you. You're begging the angels for cookie money in heaven now.

This is incredibly well said imo. And you're loving absolutely right.

Is praising all these posts okay or is that too cheugy and poo poo?? I think y'all are writing a lot of really good poo poo and they should be acknowledged/praised for writing such good poo poo :colbert:.

pliable fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 12, 2021

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Tom Collins posted:

lots of old names coming out of the woodwork
Whoa someone owes us a retrospective. :colbert:

Eudaimon
Aug 7, 2008
This has been a weird day.

I joined back when the yearly ghost threads were a thing. Left for a couple of years, but came back in time for the Trumplol thread. SA meant a lot to me in my early internet days, and it's still my favourite hangout.

I hope lowtax' kids make it through this in an ok way.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
My first account was in 2004, then I lost that account and rejoined a while later. This site isn’t good or historical because it Richard, it’s good despite him. Remember that goons.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

SpartanIvy posted:

I met a traveler from an antique website,
Who said, "Two vast and trunkless Mangosteens
Stand in the carpet... Near them, on the computer,
Half drunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that it's poster well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the spine that fed;
And on the website, these words appear:
My name is Lowtax, poo poo Poster of poo poo Posters;
Look at my Frontpage, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal forum, boundless and gay
The lone and level goatse stretches far away."

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't know what Tom Collins will say in his twenty year retrospective, but his thirty year retrospective will be written with sticks and stones.

melaTONE
Nov 5, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Made some great friends thanks to the forums. Glad they happened. My condolences to his family.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Tom, like the drink

:negative:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Please stick around, people who are returning. Twitter brain rot is life threatening but treatable.

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Please stick around, people who are returning. Twitter brain rot is life threatening but treatable.

but im addicted to the sweet sweet likes them tweetz give me now how can i go back to posting on forums

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Does lowtax even count as a "goon". The etymology of the term implies that the original author did not consider him one

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Its the 4chan number

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Tom, like the drink

:negative:
I'm on my phone lmao, rip.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for preserving this cool community, Jeffrey.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Dexanth posted:

but im addicted to the sweet sweet likes them tweetz give me now how can i go back to posting on forums
You can be emptyquoted and hell, it's got that beautiful color.

cum
Sep 18, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I’ll stick around if you can make this place not suck

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Taco Duck posted:

pulled screaming into a burning pit by demons.

Patrick Swayze all saying YOU'RE DEAD, RICHIE

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

melaTONE posted:

Made some great friends thanks to the forums. Glad they happened. My condolences to his family.

Does anyone remember the story behind these avs? some sort of contest but I forget the details

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

ikanreed posted:

Does lowtax even count as a "goon". The etymology of the term implies that the original author did not consider him one

He’s a disgraced, permabanned, domestic abusing pile of garbage. He was certainly not a goon.