Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
i know there are a couple googlers in here so maybe you can answer this. i interviewed 5 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. is this a good or bad sign? i'm already talking to ms but i want to know if i should even bother thinking about it at this point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Joe Chip posted:

i know there are a couple googlers in here so maybe you can answer this. i interviewed 5 weeks ago and haven't heard anything. is this a good or bad sign? i'm already talking to ms but i want to know if i should even bother thinking about it at this point

Email your recruiter. In general I would say that's going be a no as the hiring committee should have a decision within two weeks though it's possible it's changed since I was there.

Previous page: That response sucks without a lot more context. At the end of the day you do need to get a reasonable amount of work done, but if you can't do that the answer shouldn't be implied overtime. It also should be a rare event for the employee that actually sucks. If it happens frequently that's a management problem.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
talked to the recruiter today and you were right, i won't be getting an offer :(

oh well, back to the grind

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Achmed Jones posted:

well it's true. it's arguing over "reasonable workload" that's the hard part

the thing that's really important is what happens when you say "i can't (or won't be able) deliver this". if they say "crunch time" that's terrible. if they say "keep to normal hours and the project gets delayed and we'll learn from our failure in planning" that's very good

I did ask the question from one of these threads that was like, What do you do when a deadline can't be met? And the answer was not terrible, not great. Something along the lines of, "You can't just say it can't be met, there needs to be a reason. If a lot of operational stuff came up and that's why, then it's fair to move it into the next quarter."

tk posted:

It’s reasonable but also not an answer I think I would want.
Hah, yeah, it kind of felt like the perspective of work life balance of someone that wants to be generous but doesn't actually understand the concept. Work life balance = work 40 hours a week and no more. There, balanced.

asur posted:

Previous page: That response sucks without a lot more context. At the end of the day you do need to get a reasonable amount of work done, but if you can't do that the answer shouldn't be implied overtime. It also should be a rare event for the employee that actually sucks. If it happens frequently that's a management problem.
Yeah, who knows.

I'm debating taking the offer and trying to stick it out and transfer internally if it ends up not going well. Or I can hold out and see if a better team comes along. Any thoughts on that? Does passing on one team make your recruiter treat you as a non-priority? The recruiter was pushing me pretty hard to take this one, but I think that's just because he wants to close my file, it seemed like he'd go back to hunting for teams if I decided to pass. A little bit of a gamble, though.

cheque_some fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 6, 2021

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cheque_some posted:

I did ask the question from one of these threads that was like, What do you do when a deadline can't be met? And the answer was not terrible, not great. Something along the lines of, "You can't just say it can't be met, there needs to be a reason. If a lot of operational stuff came up and that's why, then it's fair to move it into the next quarter."

imo this is like 25% right: there is always a reason, and you should always identify it, but sometimes the reason is “we’re bad at estimating” and it’s always fair to push the completion date back because the alternative is mandatory crunch time which is not ok.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

narrator: previously on Job Hunt
*cut to slow zoom in of me sitting at the kitchen table, arms folded, staring at my laptop*

after the 2nd interview in aug and a few more no-reply job applications i noticed an amazon-sized hole in my resume so went and coughed up one hundred us dollars for the cloud practitioner cert. my world has been on-prem with just a whiff of cloud stuff but the concepts aren't that foreign

so doubling down on that and maybe azure associate to jump through a few more keyword filters. i thought i was applying to more jobs but it's only been a dozen. i would consider 1/12 not bad. really trying to apply for positions that interest me and not just spam resumes out as i am currently employed...

but just extremely jaded at being required to do a job in person that can be done remotely

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

also PIZZA.BAT's post is extremely good and hauntingly accurate

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

cheque_some posted:

Hah, yeah, it kind of felt like the perspective of work life balance of someone that wants to be generous but doesn't actually understand the concept. Work life balance = work 40 hours a week and no more. There, balanced.

Yeah, who knows.

Those two answers together I like a lot less. Obviously you’re expected to pull your weight. That’s how jobs work. It gives me low-trust/micromanagey vibes that they’re bringing it up like that in response to those questions.

Work life balance is being trusted to manage how much time I spend on work.

quote:

I'm debating taking the offer and trying to stick it out and transfer internally if it ends up not going well. Or I can hold out and see if a better team comes along. Any thoughts on that? Does passing on one team make your recruiter treat you as a non-priority? The recruiter was pushing me pretty hard to take this one, but I think that's just because he wants to close my file, it seemed like he'd go back to hunting for teams if I decided to pass. A little bit of a gamble, though.

These answers would be red flags but not deal breakers. If you otherwise like this job give it a shot. Don’t put in more time than you want and unless you just no call/no show for a month you’ll have enough heads up for a graceful exit.

I doubt a “I don’t feel like this manager places the same priority I do on work/life balance” would hurt. They may also be willing to set up a more informational conversation with a peer to close the deal if that would help.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

aeflux posted:

after the 2nd interview in aug and a few more no-reply job applications i noticed an amazon-sized hole in my resume so went and coughed up one hundred us dollars for the cloud practitioner cert. my world has been on-prem with just a whiff of cloud stuff but the concepts aren't that foreign

i am very curious about whether the cloud practitioner cert affects your outcomes given that it seems more oriented towards PMs and other less-technical folks who want to be able to understand the words their engineers are using

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

raminasi posted:

imo this is like 25% right: there is always a reason, and you should always identify it, but sometimes the reason is “we’re bad at estimating” and it’s always fair to push the completion date back because the alternative is mandatory crunch time which is not ok.
If I read between the lines correctly, he has another alternative, which seemed like it was, "if you're not getting your work done in 40 hours, you don't have work more than that, but don't expect to be successful"

tk posted:

Those two answers together I like a lot less. Obviously you’re expected to pull your weight. That’s how jobs work. It gives me low-trust/micromanagey vibes that they’re bringing it up like that in response to those questions.

Work life balance is being trusted to manage how much time I spend on work.

These answers would be red flags but not deal breakers. If you otherwise like this job give it a shot. Don’t put in more time than you want and unless you just no call/no show for a month you’ll have enough heads up for a graceful exit.

I doubt a “I don’t feel like this manager places the same priority I do on work/life balance” would hurt. They may also be willing to set up a more informational conversation with a peer to close the deal if that would help.

Thanks for your thoughts. It did definitely feel like the posture of all the responses was from a low trust position.

When I asked some of the famous YOSPOS questions he was all like, Hmm are these things you've experienced? I don't think any of the teams here are like horror stories you'd read on Reddit. When he mentioned it not being like on Reddit again I asked him what he was referring to and he said he'd be reading a lot of r/antiwork lately. Does that tell me anything? :v:

I ended up talking with the recruiter and he was definitely pushing me to close the deal. When I mentioned WLB he tried to tell me how great the company is as a whole. I mentioned wanting to follow up with a peer on the team and it sounded like that was a possibility as long as I wasn't "Wasting their time looking for excuses to bail" .

We'll have to see how valuable talking to the peer is -- I got the impression that one guy overworks over the managers objection and one person is a new grad. And based on the managers comment about how everyone is "capable, but not everyone is willing to do the work" , I'm guessing there's at least one under performer?

It did sound like the recruiter would keep hunting for positions if I turned this one down, though. I think it's one of those things where he's going to sell this one as the best thing to come along, but if I turn it down he'll find something else and sell that one as the best thing ever.

thanks sorry for the career e/n

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

cheque_some posted:

I ended up talking with the recruiter and he was definitely pushing me to close the deal. When I mentioned WLB he tried to tell me how great the company is as a whole. I mentioned wanting to follow up with a peer on the team and it sounded like that was a possibility as long as I wasn't "Wasting their time looking for excuses to bail" .

this is just your recruiter being scummy because they're close enough to their commission that they can taste it and they don't want it to slip away. you probably will anyway, but you should drop them once you actually take a job somewhere.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

raminasi posted:

this is just your recruiter being scummy because they're close enough to their commission that they can taste it and they don't want it to slip away. you probably will anyway, but you should drop them once you actually take a job somewhere.

this is an internal recruiter, I'm doing the team match process at one company. I think they just wanna close my file.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cheque_some posted:

If I read between the lines correctly, he has another alternative, which seemed like it was, "if you're not getting your work done in 40 hours, you don't have work more than that, but don't expect to be successful"

Thanks for your thoughts. It did definitely feel like the posture of all the responses was from a low trust position.

When I asked some of the famous YOSPOS questions he was all like, Hmm are these things you've experienced? I don't think any of the teams here are like horror stories you'd read on Reddit. When he mentioned it not being like on Reddit again I asked him what he was referring to and he said he'd be reading a lot of r/antiwork lately. Does that tell me anything? :v:

We'll have to see how valuable talking to the peer is -- I got the impression that one guy overworks over the managers objection and one person is a new grad. And based on the managers comment about how everyone is "capable, but not everyone is willing to do the work" , I'm guessing there's at least one under performer?

It did sound like the recruiter would keep hunting for positions if I turned this one down, though. I think it's one of those things where he's going to sell this one as the best thing to come along, but if I turn it down he'll find something else and sell that one as the best thing ever.

thanks sorry for the career e/n

Holy red flags batman

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah the job itself might be fine but they absolutely need to fire that recruiter

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

i am very curious about whether the cloud practitioner cert affects your outcomes given that it seems more oriented towards PMs and other less-technical folks who want to be able to understand the words their engineers are using

yeah you should probably just go get the SAA cert with the 50% off coupon from passing the practitioner test

Mantle
May 15, 2004

https://imgur.com/a/fzT7Ug6

Lol this company going so hard on hiding their salary bands that they exclude candidates from Colorado.

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Xarn posted:

Holy red flags batman

which red flags are you seeing (obviously I saw some of my own which is why I posted at all)?

and are they red flags as in caution or red flags like "DO NOT ENTER"

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

cheque_some posted:

which red flags are you seeing (obviously I saw some of my own which is why I posted at all)?

what question did you actually ask? because I wouldn't expect "when did you last take vacation and how much?" or "what happens when it becomes clear that the team is going to miss a milestone?" to prompt an answer referencing reddit horror stories. if it was those kinda questions, then why did he think of awful places to work?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

cheque_some posted:

----------

cheque_some posted:

red - if you don't trust your employees/interviewees, that's a problem

cheque_some posted:

I don't think any of the teams here are like horror stories you'd read on Reddit. When he mentioned it not being like on Reddit again I asked him what he was referring to and he said he'd be reading a lot of r/antiwork lately. Does that tell me anything? :v:

yellow-red - didn't answer the loving question

cheque_some posted:

red - see first part

cheque_some posted:

And based on the managers comment about how everyone is "capable, but not everyone is willing to do the work"

holy gently caress red

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

everyone can grind down their own bones to make this terrible product but people seem oddly attached to their bones???

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Sorry for double post from the TP thread, tryin to help a friend out.

A dentist friend of mine who self taught python and has made some pytorch models following tutorials wants to make a career change into AI as applied to dentistry. I feel like I hear a ton about medical AI but not sure if there are any well funded startups or major companies working on dentistry.

Anyone seen job reqs for something like this?
Anyone know of the salaries for M.D. or D.D.S learns to code?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ai firms hiring do not hire this sort of person, they hire ms or phd candidates or grads from top ai schools as a rule, and they're not excellent about hiring for domain expertise

i would not be overly optimistic about the prospects of getting a specifically ai job without higher applied math education. they could look for a dentistry thing within an ai firm, but it would be subject matter dealio without much ai dev in all likelihood

people do not expect and usually do not get serious mathematical ability out of medical grads. are they an exception? why are they an exception?

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 8, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CarForumPoster posted:

A dentist friend of mine who self taught python and has made some pytorch models following tutorials wants to make a career change into AI as applied to dentistry. I feel like I hear a ton about medical AI but not sure if there are any well funded startups or major companies working on dentistry.

speaking from experience: he should see if he can be chief medical officer of some startup after which he can annoy whoever the CTO designates

free dental care in the US is worth answering inane programming questions though, dental insurance is such a loving scam. see if some university spin off is trying to be the next invisalign or something

ps: the optical properties of teeth are not at all what you would expect

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

bob dobbs is dead posted:

ai firms hiring do not hire this sort of person, they hire ms or phd candidates or grads from top ai schools as a rule, and they're not excellent about hiring for domain expertise

i would not be overly optimistic about the prospects of getting a specifically ai job without higher applied math education. they could look for a dentistry thing within an ai firm, but it would be subject matter dealio without much ai dev in all likelihood

people do not expect and usually do not get serious mathematical ability out of medical grads. are they an exception? why are they an exception?

ty, to my knowledge they are not an exception. He'd be good with a SME role tho. I think his mission is more "improve the industry" and and what he's teaching himself comes from that.

hobbesmaster posted:

speaking from experience: he should see if he can be chief medical officer of some startup after which he can annoy whoever the CTO designates

free dental care in the US is worth answering inane programming questions though, dental insurance is such a loving scam. see if some university spin off is trying to be the next invisalign or something

ps: the optical properties of teeth are not at all what you would expect

not quite sure I follow other than "be the CMO of a startup"

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CarForumPoster posted:

I think his mission is more "improve the industry"

not liking this turn where CEOs mimic ineffectual politicians

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

CarForumPoster posted:

tell your friend to buy a bike and ride in a triathlon. it's probably more his speed and he can still do the dds thing and pretend he knows everything about a subject without knowing anything

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Blinkz0rz posted:

tell your friend to buy a bike and ride in a triathlon. it's probably more his speed and he can still do the dds thing and pretend he knows everything about a subject without knowing anything

i met with him for lunch today he’s having some health issues that might be driving this idea too so no triathlons for him

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

just here to bitch about companies asking for projects and then rejecting with zero feedback. god drat that poo poo is frustrating.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

got a message from a recruiter ive worked with before about a role that pays about what I’m making now, and might possibly not give me panic attacks every week or two. that would be pretty nice.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

we've got a level above Senior which is meant to be on the IC career track, but is entirely populated (well, there are 2) by ex-managers, and the requirements seems to basically just be to do tech manager stuff. maybe this is just a reflection on the fact that we don't have many interesting or novel technical challenges in our line of business, but it is a little frustrating.

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

raminasi posted:

as a hiring manager for cloud infra positions (amongst other poo poo) i personally don't care about certs at all, i've done some of the prep and its basically "can you remember a bunch of bullshit details about AWS services" (not useful) as opposed to "can you build poo poo on AWS/$cloud provider of choice" which is fairly easy to test in an interview and very easy to test with a short assignment

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

as a hiring manager, i am bored of doing management and want to go back to IC positions before its too late for me, been doing pure mgmt ~1yr and team lead (50/50 coding/lead) for 1yr 3mo before that

some people say its good to have been a manager for a bit and then an IC, some people say it works against you, guess its time to find out

fortunately this guy (http://techpays.eu/) seems to have done wonderful work for NL/EU salaries and figgies are finally on the cards for EU people

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

as a hiring manager for cloud infra positions (amongst other poo poo) i personally don't care about certs at all, i've done some of the prep and its basically "can you remember a bunch of bullshit details about AWS services" (not useful) as opposed to "can you build poo poo on AWS/$cloud provider of choice" which is fairly easy to test in an interview and very easy to test with a short assignment

but you actually saw the resume with the “useless” cert because the resume wasn’t discarded by an automated process

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there are so many unemployed people these days (never used to exist) that large companies earn profit assisting other companies in hiring workers

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

agreed about the bullshit details but there was a lot of hands-on learning i found helpful in it. i could see at points if you didn't have a real solid background in some of the base concepts for aws services you'd be in over your head

it's wild how many cloud infra positions i've seen while hunting. but it's frustrating from my end to be someone who has worked really more or less on-prem. i've migrated a lot of our internal apps over to containers and pushed a few other servers that can stand on their own outside our network to GCP/EC2

not faulting my current job here - cloud services aren't something we have moved on aggressively enough and i have to shore up that gap somehow and escape the TAS keyword jail to get out of this going nowhere sysadmin position i'm in

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

i feel like the skills gap is at the level of "to get this job you have to have this experience with these specific aws services" well cool how do I get there "well you have to have had this job or similar to get that experience"

my question would be how do you crack that barrier? my best assumption is it's either being adjacent to it and getting exposure or someone takes a chance on you as a junior and pray you have somewhat of a growth track

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

there’s a few different ways to do it
1. home lab it, spend your own time and money to develop the skills then talk them up in the interviews

2. get a job with a training budget that willing to invest in their employees

3. home lab it on company time, get a job with downtime so your e not wasting your weekends on dumb work stuff

4. lie

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

aeflux posted:

i feel like the skills gap is at the level of "to get this job you have to have this experience with these specific aws services" well cool how do I get there "well you have to have had this job or similar to get that experience"

my question would be how do you crack that barrier? my best assumption is it's either being adjacent to it and getting exposure or someone takes a chance on you as a junior and pray you have somewhat of a growth track

i jumped the gap by knowing a hiring manager well enough that he could be confident i could go from 0 -> cloudy in a reasonable amount of time based only on our history together. that being said, the position wasn't "we need you to hit the ground running with aws services x, y, and z" it was "we're going to be clouding our poo poo over the next few quarters" which is a slightly different beast. regardless: professional networks are magic

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

but you actually saw the resume with the “useless” cert because the resume wasn’t discarded by an automated process

fortunately my company doesn't use any automated processes to filter resumes. unfortunately the replacement for the automated process is me

The Fool posted:

there’s a few different ways to do it
1. home lab it, spend your own time and money to develop the skills then talk them up in the interviews

2. get a job with a training budget that willing to invest in their employees

3. home lab it on company time, get a job with downtime so your e not wasting your weekends on dumb work stuff

4. lie

this, and i have also hired people who are great engineers otherwise but their only ding is no cloud knowledge, figured they can learn on the job. worked well and they were some of the smartest and most motivated guys. i also hired as mediors/seniors, not juniors. there is hope friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Thank you for the questions in the op, sincerely