Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Gold Experience sucks.

Counterpoint

https://twitter.com/weedventoaureo/status/737868911908118530

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hamon was good and Joseph is the best jojo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Not sure this is a counterpoint so much as it's "I love how much Gold Experience sucks".

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

Jotaro was only interesting in a couple standout arcs in Part 3 for me like D'Arby the Gambler, but Part 4 retroactively made him interesting.

He's probably still wondering why Josuke grabbed his pen.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gold Experience is essentially the return of and development on the life-creating properties of ripple and vampirism

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Arist posted:

Jotaro was only interesting in a couple standout arcs in Part 3 for me like D'Arby the Gambler, but Part 4 retroactively made him interesting.

I really like how through mentoring Josuke we see Jotaro really was doing that tryhard poo poo talking as a psychological tactic, as you say it makes alot of stuff like the DIO's World arc retrospectively even cooler

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

Gold Experience is essentially the return of and development on the life-creating properties of ripple and vampirism

ah, so that's why it was boring and unfocused

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

There are a lot of fights were Jotaro is interesting.

The Enya fight (when he troll her pretending of not knowing she is the stand user), the Steely Dan fight, the Sun, Anubis, the D'Arby brothers fights, Dio...

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

D'Arby brothers is so good from a fight perspective and it relies entirely on Jotaro to pull it off.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Jotaro floating around in the sea during the high priestess fight, keeping to himself his silent awe, using star platinum to just look at the poo poo outta some stuff

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Liiiight spoiler but Hamon comes back in another form in later parts and it's awesome and is used in conjunction with Stands.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kwyndig posted:

D'Arby brothers is so good from a fight perspective and it relies entirely on Jotaro to pull it off.

it's alright. really feel like it was an opportunity for joseph to shine that was missed in the first fight though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

But this is precisely what makes Part 5 so great. It's not great in spite of all the dumb rear end-pull bullshit, it's great BECAUSE of all the dumb rear end-pull bullshit.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Lady Radia posted:

it's alright. really feel like it was an opportunity for joseph to shine that was missed in the first fight though.

Somebody had to lose in a real way to establish how good D'arby is before Jotaro took him on, and beating Avdol in a cheating game wouldn't be very impressive. Imo the second D'arby fight makes up for it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Shame Kakyoin had to choke in the second round, though. And right after he rejoined the party.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Gold Experience is the best stand in the series

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Gold Experience is a cool stand but it keeps having its powers reinvented and Giorno isn't a very good protagonist. The good news is that he's actually a supporting character.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Giorno would be a better protagonist if it spent more time on his connections to Dio and related characterization, but alas the plot kicked into gear immediately.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) Sticky Fingers, Spice Girl, and Sex Pistols were my favourite stands in Part 5 and they should have starred in every fight.
2) Giorno embraces his vampiric heritage because being an immortal creature of the night who eats people is probably seen as a plus if you're in the Mafia, however he is now an Italian who can't eat garlic.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Part 5 is probably a bit too fast paced plotwise. Everything happens over 5 days or so.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Shame that Spice Girl got a grand total of one fight, especially considering all of the weird poo poo that Araki could have done with “rubberize anything”. Or that Trish didn’t get an “I’m tired of you guys infantilizing me while you put your lives on the line for my sake” moment where she truly becomes a full-time member of Team Bucciratti, instead of a living macguffin.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

YggiDee posted:

1) Sticky Fingers, Spice Girl, and Sex Pistols were my favourite stands in Part 5 and they should have starred in every fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKGs20VchQs

I will never get tired of this clip, and the entire fight leading up to it rules too

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Part 5's ending is probably the weakest ark in all of JoJo.
It feels like someone trying to copy the style and failing completely, which sours me on the whole part.
It's a final fight where the group slowly walks, without explaining much about the goal. It's also the part where the villain gets there first without explaining how.
Like, honestly, how hard would it be to drop the sniffing souls bullshit and write "a shadow that fucks with your vision so that no one can see where it is" in a manner that isn't loving awful?

I can forgive any sort of asspull as long as it's entertaining, but that ark has not only so many of them that you get lost, but also barely explains them and somehow manages to have the slowest pacing.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah I love Part 5 but the entire final battle is awful with the sole exception of gold experience requiem being funny

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Shame that Spice Girl got a grand total of one fight, especially considering all of the weird poo poo that Araki could have done with “rubberize anything”. Or that Trish didn’t get an “I’m tired of you guys infantilizing me while you put your lives on the line for my sake” moment where she truly becomes a full-time member of Team Bucciratti, instead of a living macguffin.

Trish is just Holly Kujo 2.0.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

RevolverDivider posted:

Yeah I love Part 5 but the entire final battle is awful with the sole exception of gold experience requiem being funny

part 5 ending Here's Polnareff! He's been hiding in Italy and has been unable to access the internet to talk to anyone useful...because Diavolo is the head of the loving Illuminati? And now his stand has gone from being Silver Chariot to something with 3 pages of rules text. Why? :lmao: But we're doing a bodyswap scene! We're also turning regular humans into horrible monstrosities, somehow. Also, killing Bruno halfway through the season and then having him be alive anyway because gently caress yeah Bruno is really weird. Bruno is my favorite non-JoJo character from part 1-5 but it really is having your pathos cake and eating it too.

I don't hate it but it's weird and disjointed.

Also, I'm sure someone's already pointed this out but Stalin could qualify as a JoJo with his original name.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 12, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Vento Aureo feels like an attempt at redoing Stardust Crusaders, but I found myself caring about the cast of Part 5 a lot less than Part 3's for some reason, despite the fact that I know Part 3's cast are basically just cardboard cutouts.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Brandfarlig posted:

part 5 ending Here's Polnareff! He's been hiding in Italy and has been unable to access the internet to talk to anyone useful...because Diavolo is the head of the loving Illuminati? And now his stand has gone from being Silver Chariot to something with 3 pages of rules text. Why? :lmao: But we're doing a bodyswap scene! We're also turning regular humans into horrible monstrosities, somehow. Also, killing Bruno halfway through the season and then having him be alive anyway because gently caress yeah Bruno is really weird. Bruno is my favorite non-JoJo character from part 1-5 but it really is having your pathos cake and eating it too.

I don't hate it but it's weird and disjointed.

Also, I'm sure someone's already pointed this out but Stalin could qualify as a JoJo with his original name.

The best part is that him being in the story at all was because Araki changed his mind, it was originally just going to be some guy

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Vento Aureo feels like an attempt at redoing Stardust Crusaders, but I found myself caring about the cast of Part 5 a lot less than Part 3's for some reason, despite the fact that I know Part 3's cast are basically just cardboard cutouts.

I mostly agree with this. I am unreasonably fond of the part 3 crew even if they're done better afterwards. In part 5 I'm kind of just waiting for people to start dying because I know it's happening. Yeah it sucks that Narancia was essentially a child soldier and died very young...but so did Kakyoin, minus the child soldier part. Sad death, but one of many in JoJo.

zetamind2000 posted:

The best part is that him being in the story at all was because Araki changed his mind, it was originally just going to be some guy

A Speedwagon foundation member trying to will himself into being important by getting a stand would be funny.

Unrelated, but I like how Fugo could be seen as the smartest JoBro. He just sees that he's not the MC and decides to peace the gently caress out permanently. and dies in a novel, I think? I know about Arakis original plans but I love how a character just aggressively writes themselves out of the story and then doesn't do the obvious and return.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 12, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Regarding the above, Mista survives Vento Aureo, though. Are you thinking of Bruno?

On the topic of Purple Haze Feedback, Fugo ALMOST dies in the novel when he awakens the new form of Purple Haze, but he's healed by Giorno and rejoins Passione.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

My memory sucks it seems. My point about Sex Pistols being poo poo Emperor and mostly being good at almost killing Mista stands though.

purple haze Good for him. Still a wasted opportunity to not do more with his character in part 5. What was that about his stand being dangerous and erratic again? Nah, not important. I guess it'd just be one more thing Giorno could magic away.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 12, 2021

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
Part 5 would be the worst part if 2 didn't exist.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Part 1 still exists though. There's no loving way I'm ranking Tarkus and Blueford over Kars and co. Part 3 is my favorite and then 4,2 and 5 could go in basically any order.

While there's a lot of obvious problems with 5 it's just so consistently good when the plot isn't imploding and the general quality of the fights are very solid. The absolute last arc was also a weird choice but whatever.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Part 5's individual fights are the absolute top in the series

But the series as a whole isn't very good vis a vis overarching narrative

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Which is also an issue with Gold Experience and King Crimson, they make sense within the moment, but fall apart when you try to figure out an overarching power set for them.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'd find it hard to rank Jojo parts beyond Diamond is Unbreakable being my favorite of what's been shown so far. I guess I'd tentatively say DIU > SC > BT > PB > VA? I'd probably change my mind on the order of some of those tomorrow, though.

Also, I feel Part 1 is rather underrated. True, it has the most boring fights of the series, but it also has a lot of really intimate interpersonal relationship between the main protagonist and antagonist that we haven't really seen since. I also think that Part 1 is Dio at his best, honestly, considering that he changes quite a bit over the course of the story in response to how Jonathan challenges him. While Part 3 DIO is more iconic, he's also a lot more static, mainly being the big monster man that shows up at the end but has a few moments of introspection beforehand.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Narancia's death wasn't even sad, not for me at least. By that point in the part they were ramping up for the big final confrontation and there were way too many people still alive, and it felt like Araki was like "oh gently caress I need to have a sad death here" because as soon as Narancia suddenly started babbling about pizza I was like "oh, he forgot to build up the tension and pathos for a character death so he's having the kid start talking about something he's looking forward to that he won't get to experience so we'll be sad when he dies" and then sure enough

The buildup and payoff was so sudden I was seriously reacting like this irl

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Also, I feel Part 1 is rather underrated. True, it has the most boring fights of the series, but it also has a lot of really intimate interpersonal relationship between the main protagonist and antagonist that we haven't really seen since. I also think that Part 1 is Dio at his best, honestly, considering that he changes quite a bit over the course of the story in response to how Jonathan challenges him. While Part 3 DIO is more iconic, he's also a lot more static, mainly being the big monster man that shows up at the end but has a few moments of introspection beforehand.

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with this. Part 1 Dio is one of the best antagonists in the series, entirely because he's very much the deuteragonist of Part 1, going through character development and having his own fair share of focus. No other antagonist gets treated like Part 1 Dio did, the rest are obstacles to be overcome, while Dio is only less important to the plot than Jonathan himself.

Part 3 DIO is, as I said before, an obstacle to overcome. He's very hammy and has cool fights and powers, and he's still super enjoyable, but he isn't as interesting as Part 1 Dio was. Which is completely fair, since DIO is Dio after his character arc was completed, it only makes sense.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with this. Part 1 Dio is one of the best antagonists in the series, entirely because he's very much the deuteragonist of Part 1, going through character development and having his own fair share of focus. No other antagonist gets treated like Part 1 Dio did, the rest are obstacles to be overcome, while Dio is only less important to the plot than Jonathan himself.

Part 3 DIO is, as I said before, an obstacle to overcome. He's very hammy and has cool fights and powers, and he's still super enjoyable, but he isn't as interesting as Part 1 Dio was. Which is completely fair, since DIO is Dio after his character arc was completed, it only makes sense.

He really is. Dio is the reason I could never understand skipping part 1. It's not even that long if you're already going to watch the other 200 episodes or whatever they add up to.

Edit: Is that ending song for part 5 the best or the worst music choice so far? I really can't tell if hearing a line about being really horny 3 seconds after the ending of every episode makes them better or not.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

RubberLuffy posted:

Part 5 would be the worst part if 2 didn't exist.

:chloe: