Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Yeah, I agree wholeheartedly with this. Part 1 Dio is one of the best antagonists in the series, entirely because he's very much the deuteragonist of Part 1, going through character development and having his own fair share of focus. No other antagonist gets treated like Part 1 Dio did, the rest are obstacles to be overcome, while Dio is only less important to the plot than Jonathan himself.

I think you could say the same about Kira as well tbh, his whole arc trying to go straight owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Brandfarlig posted:

He really is. Dio is the reason I could never understand skipping part 1. It's not even that long if you're already going to watch the other 200 episodes or whatever they add up to.

Edit: Is that ending song for part 5 the best or the worst music choice so far? I really can't tell if hearing a line about being really horny 3 seconds after the ending of every episode makes them better or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxca-FGc76o

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mista's a vibrato? God drat :allears:

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 12, 2021

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

im an anime only viewer but of the 5 parts so far while id put 5 at the bottom i still think its full of good material and would benefit from a second draft way more than any other part. i can respect wanting to mostly stay faithful to the original material but i think it mightve been better if they used the anime adaptation as an opportunity to do some rewrites, with araki's involvement of course. thats Just me though

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

im an anime only viewer but of the 5 parts so far while id put 5 at the bottom i still think its full of good material and would benefit from a second draft way more than any other part. i can respect wanting to mostly stay faithful to the original material but i think it mightve been better if they used the anime adaptation as an opportunity to do some rewrites, with araki's involvement of course. thats Just me though

Yeah, JoJo’s a series that at times definitely suffered from originally being on a weekly schedule as it came out.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I'd find it hard to rank Jojo parts beyond Diamond is Unbreakable being my favorite of what's been shown so far. I guess I'd tentatively say DIU > SC > BT > PB > VA? I'd probably change my mind on the order of some of those tomorrow, though.

Also, I feel Part 1 is rather underrated. True, it has the most boring fights of the series, but it also has a lot of really intimate interpersonal relationship between the main protagonist and antagonist that we haven't really seen since. I also think that Part 1 is Dio at his best, honestly, considering that he changes quite a bit over the course of the story in response to how Jonathan challenges him. While Part 3 DIO is more iconic, he's also a lot more static, mainly being the big monster man that shows up at the end but has a few moments of introspection beforehand.

Parts 1 and 3 are both considerably better on a rewatch when you're not trying to power through to the stand parts and then finding out that the first stand part is kind of underwhelming until the end

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'll be the one to say Part 5 rules, Requiem included. It's my favorite part animated so far by a country mile.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Part 5 definitely has the best Stand fights. The train fight is bar none the best Stand fight in the entire series in the manga, via art, plotting, etc. That jumps it ahead of 3 just for that reason. I like it more than 6 too, because thats where the Stand fights start being ridiculously confusing, even if it has a way better protagonist (you'll see).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Part 5's stands are my favorite for how tightly they relate to their characters, especially Abbacchio's stand. Also sex pistols is just the best

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Not just that, but it's plot comes together in a more satisfying way than any of the previous parts for me so far. 2 and 4 come close, and may even have better endings by themselves, but the extra bit at the end especially really made it all click as a part-wide journey, as opposed to a really good chapter/fight to close a string of great fights.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Something that Part 5 had a lot of focus on were multi-stand fights against users working together and combining their abilities. We got a lot of really great moments out of that.

Still can't believe the dub changed it so Cioccolata doesn't tell Secco he loves him.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part 6 is dope and i'm excited to see people get to experience it and meet jolyne

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

America is gonna fall in love with Foo Fighters.

Speaking of, is that still her name?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
part 6 spoilers: They've been renamed to Food Fighter

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

considering that this character you speak of has not showed up yet in the anime, which has not aired at all in the least, i don't have an answer to that

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Part 6 is funny af, I really hope they don't cut most of the non-fightfightfight stuff.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they've had a pretty good track record with not cutting all that much in later parts. 1 and 2 saw some stuff taken out but they were kind of flying through those, anyways. for any small thing that doesn't make it in they tend to also do something neat to change up how things are presented given that they're working with the animated medium now. i'm pretty confident we'll get to see the grand majority, if not basically all of it.

on the flipside, part 3 was stretched out way too loving long, lmao. it's literally shorter than part 4 iirc, manga-wise, but they inserted a lot of junk to fill it out to two full seasons somehow.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

on the flipside, part 3 was stretched out way too loving long, lmao. it's literally shorter than part 4 iirc, manga-wise, but they inserted a lot of junk to fill it out to two full seasons somehow.

And they still cut out Senator Wilson Phillips running over Waldo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The anime should've added an alternate ending where Senator Wilson Phillips killed DIO.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

The anime should've added an alternate ending where Senator Wilson Phillips killed DIO.

The Seventh Stand User has a secret ending where you have to fight DIO as Phillips in his car.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Exactly.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
im sad the part 3 anime didn't duplicate the great shot from the ova where philips stumbles out of the car only to enter it again

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
They also cut out some of the fun extraneous bits from stuff like the calluses page in superfly :(

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Part 3 is kinda losing me. Up to this point everything felt fast paced and to the point (ie. "This ring will disolve and kill you in 30 days" *shows 1 day of actual training then montage skip to day 28*), whereas now it's like

"Holly will die in 50 days. But first you must fight a car that tries to knock them off a cliff. Or the sun, I dunno"

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

While I like the whole journey of Stardust Crusaders myself, you can totally just skip to part 2 of Stardust Crusaders and it's fine. It has the most interesting fights and you basically get the story.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you don't like long meandering stories centered around weird stand fights that aren't central to the plot you may not enjoy any of the rest of Jojo, because that's pretty much its entire thing.

Though now that I think about it it's probably true that part 3 distributes the overarching plot less evenly than the others.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 16, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stardust crusaders is artificially padded out to be 48 episodes so if it feels like a bit of a slog it absolutely is. the second season of it is definitely where the meat of a lot of the fun stuff happens. don't push it too much if you're genuinely finding it hard to get through the earlier segments.

following parts in the anime are paced a lot better and actually have episode counts much more fitting to their genuine length

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I want David Production to lord this superior adaptation over the creators of Netflix Cowboy Bebop until the day they die.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

While I like the whole journey of Stardust Crusaders myself, you can totally just skip to part 2 of Stardust Crusaders and it's fine. It has the most interesting fights and you basically get the story.

I think the minimum of the SC episodes are
1-5: introduction of the main cast.
10-11: Hol Horse introduction, Polnareff quest resolution
14-17: Old Enya resolution.
21-22: Yes, I am!
25-26: Iggy and the nine gods introduction
27: Oingo and Boingo.
34-48: cool fights and the end of the main story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Skipping Anubis, huh? That's not very cash money of you.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I simply would not skip episodes on my first viewing

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Skipping Anubis, huh? That's not very cash money of you.

I love Anubis, it's one of the best physical fights of the series, but it's really, really tangential to the story. At least D'Arby senior is the older brother of the guy that keeps Jotaro, Kakyoin and Joseph busy while the others are fighting Vanilla Ice.

multijoe posted:

I simply would not skip episodes on my first viewing

This too.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

D'arby senior is in the top three best fights in SC. Sure, skip the sub episode, the sun, Blue moon and wheel of fortune if you must but if you're skipping D'arby you may as well skip SC and JoJo completely.

I also don't really understand wanting to cut SC by like 20 episodes if you're still going to watch the remaining ~100 episodes that 4-5 add up to.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

probably because that is consistently the one bit that people constantly bring up as hard to get through and universally seem to enjoy all the stuff that comes afterwards, pacing-wise

maybe part of this is because if someone skipped everything between after the first couple episodes until like the last third of the part literally nothing fundamentally changes other than iggy showing up, and even that is summed up by just watching the intro to season 2. stardust crusaders is shorter than part 4 yet they somehow made it 9 episodes longer, lol.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I think D'Arby Jr. is the fight you could easily fit into an episode that somehow spans nearly THREE.

But also, just don't skip poo poo. You never know what you'll enjoy. JoJo is a long show, but a single part isn't that long, and even all of them combined don't suffer from extreme bloat as some animes do.

SC is where JoJo grabbed me with its creativity and humor, and aside from a few episodes, there's no consensus on which ones would be in everyone's, like, top 5. I know that most wouldn't recommend Justice fight, but I love its sitcomy nature. Enya is very amusing, too, and the solution is hilarious.

In fact, I'd say that there are only a few outright weak episodes, but even those have their moments. As much as I don't like Baby Stand for the usual "friends don't believe the main character of the story", it also has the big ending and Polnareff criticizing baby's sense of humor.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 16, 2021

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you skip any given episode of SDC there's a good chance you'll miss at least one distinct Oh My God line read. Like imagine if you skipped The Sun and never heard SONOFABITCH

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Death XIII was at least a fairly reasonable take on the "I don't believe my friends" thing. Kakyoin keeps trying to attack a baby and insisting it's an assassin. And showing up with a message he carved into his arm definitely makes him look crazy.

Almost every other instance of it in Jojo is really annoying, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Nov 16, 2021

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah if anyone has the least excuse to go "we don't believe you when you say some insane poo poo has happened" it's definitely the jojo cast. If anything they should be the most credulous and probably easy to prank. "Hey old man I just saw a guy whose dick turned into a dog lol" "OH poo poo AN ENEMY STAND USER? WHERE?!"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

primarily the way i look at it is if the way to get someone to move ahead and enjoy the entire rest of the series is telling them 'hey maybe skip ahead a little in stardust crusaders and watch the latter sequence of fights and you can revisit the stuff you missed later if you enjoy the rest' then i'm more than willing to do that, because i've basically never once heard similar complaints about anything in later parts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Johnny Joestar posted:

probably because that is consistently the one bit that people constantly bring up as hard to get through and universally seem to enjoy all the stuff that comes afterwards, pacing-wise

maybe part of this is because if someone skipped everything between after the first couple episodes until like the last third of the part literally nothing fundamentally changes other than iggy showing up, and even that is summed up by just watching the intro to season 2. stardust crusaders is shorter than part 4 yet they somehow made it 9 episodes longer, lol.

I guess I just don't agree that there are that many skippable episodes in part 3. 5-10 episodes, maybe, but not more. I get that there's a lot of episodes that aren't plot critical but if you don't enjoy any of the episodes of the cast loving around I'm not sure why you're forcing yourself to watch the series in the first place.

You could apply the same argument to a lesser extent to part 4. There's several episodes that start with ghost photo dad giving some random rear end in a top hat a stand that you could conceivably skip and I'd advise against that, too.