Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PIZZA.BAT)

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

you can make squarish/angular cars that still have good aerodynamics. the lowest drag shape is a wide flat plane, after all.

cars these days are all round and bulgy and bloated because that's the shape of their drivers.

when the prius was released, it had one of the lowest coefficients of drag ever seen in a production vehicle. that's a major reason why they shaped it like that, it was inspired by dolphins or something. still ugly, but they did design it for good aerodynamics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol at all these . this is good content

Sagebrush posted:

you can make squarish/angular cars that still have good aerodynamics. the lowest drag shape is a wide flat plane, after all.

cars these days are all round and bulgy and bloated because that's the shape of their drivers.

some cars days these days look like they’ve been designed by a pack of elite mall ninjas

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

when the prius was released, it had one of the lowest coefficients of drag ever seen in a production vehicle. that's a major reason why they shaped it like that, it was inspired by dolphins or something. still ugly, but they did design it for good aerodynamics

i think the second-gen prius (i know you aren't thinking of the first generation, nobody does) is a hell of a lot more blocky and cyberpunk -- and elegant, when you get right down to it -- than what it eventually turned into.

actually a fairly cool looking space pod:

angry camry with factory dents:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kammback designs are all about compromise, though. you need to have things like "a trunk" and "four seats" and "cabin volume" and "doors" so you settle for this rounded wedge with an implied elongated tail that decreases wake vortex generation. it's hardly efficient though. still a big lump pushing its way through the air.

me, commuting to work like a boss:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

I love how Chevy was teasing the Volt as a rad-rear end batman looking electric car for like a decade then they released it and it was just a Detroit Prius.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I love how Chevy was teasing the Volt as a rad-rear end batman looking electric car for like a decade then they released it and it was just a Detroit Prius.

the second one is like 5000 times better

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

car chat central

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

HIGH

BELT

LINE

BICTH

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I was always under the impression boxy cars (and a lot of other features like retractable headlights) died out not because of aerodynamics but because of crashworthiness requirements

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Broken Machine posted:

boxfish lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

haveblue posted:

I was always under the impression boxy cars (and a lot of other features like retractable headlights) died out not because of aerodynamics but because of crashworthiness requirements

they died out because sci fi artists imagined we could do fancy metal bends and make everything look like an egg, so when new cars came out in 1990, they all looked like eggs.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sagebrush regales tale that designers finally had computers that could make curves and so they tried desperately to use curves in every line so you end up with those egg cars sci fi artists have dreamed about for years

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is my daily driver

i only drive my 2008 manual honda fit on the weekends :smugmrgw:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The fully blobbed out interior was because american car manufacturers just couldn't get the build quality high enough to not have misaligned panels, so instead they made everything a blob so you can't mess up alignment

or so has been speculated

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

rotor posted:

the second one is like 5000 times better

think of how cool the second one would be if the black trim under the windows was glass instead

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

yeah I'm fuckin ur mom

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LED83F8tW10&t=1s

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hi2lXxNWEY

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

kammback designs are all about compromise, though. you need to have things like "a trunk" and "four seats" and "cabin volume" and "doors" so you settle for this rounded wedge with an implied elongated tail that decreases wake vortex generation. it's hardly efficient though. still a big lump pushing its way through the air.

me, commuting to work like a boss:

Isn't a water drop the best shape? Which is why the Aptera seems to work so well at least on paper

A smaller frontal area is better too obviously but there's only so much you can do while fitting two people comfortably

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

powered by the honks of when you squeeze your red nose

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

that electric Hyundai better be advertised to me by the reanimated corpse of Ricardo Montalbán

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
in what way is the design of a porsche 911 copyrighted or patented?

because they change them often but always stay the same, could someone else make a car that looked like a different iteration? not identical but aggressively inspired by

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you can buy every replacement panel aftermarket so you can "build a 911", but if you try to sell a modernized 911 copy named Emergency Number or something, thirteen bored lawyers will immediately show up at your doorstep and bury you in six feet of lawsuit summons paperwork.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

in what way is the design of a porsche 911 copyrighted or patented?
Design patents and trade dress, mostly. Copyright does not apply to a "useful article," which in addition to free advertising forms a compelling motivation for prominent, trademarked elements for clothing and accessories. All that ugly horseshit on a vuitton bag? Trademarked. As long as your knock-off purse doesn't have that ugly poo poo on them (or embellishments considered trade dress) you're good to go

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

you would be correct but they would use all of their legal muscle to bankrupt you or force a settlement

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
all they have to do is sell one extra porsche in this fiscal year to fund a legal campaign that would leave you wearing a wine barrel with some straps and hollering in the street SPARE CHANGE, SIR?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Isn't a water drop the best shape? Which is why the Aptera seems to work so well at least on paper

A smaller frontal area is better too obviously but there's only so much you can do while fitting two people comfortably

:eng101: Fun story about that.

A water drop was believed for a long time to be the most aerodynamic shape because it seemed logically correct that a fluid would deform itself to the lowest-energy shape. Make cars shaped like teardrops!

However, it turns out that what people think water drops look like, with a round base and elongated tail, is only what they look like when they're dripping from an edge, still attached, and about to fall. In the air, surface tension pulls them into a sphere and drag deforms them into a sort of flattened jellyfish shape:

This isn't particularly sleek or aerodynamic; it just balances drag and surface tension.

Of course a flat plate turned edge-on to the airstream produces the least drag, like a katana slicing through a flat of Kirkwood Signature spring water. However, that isn't practical for a car or any other object where you need to enclose some sort of volume. Bulging the top (and optionally the bottom) outwards will give you some useful volume, and extending the trailing edge way out at a shallow angle decreases the energy lost to vortex formation. The classic teardrop shape with a round nose and long tail is, coincidentally, a reasonable application of these rules. But there is no need for the nose to be blunt. High speed airfoils have very sharp leading edges, missiles have ogival nose cones, etc. And the longer and pointier you make the nose, the less energy is lost in turning the air around the shape, and therefore the lower the drag.

You can see exactly when people realized this by looking at solar cars. For many years all the leading designs were shaped like teardrops, like the Sunraycer:

Then someone went "wait a minute, this doesn't make sense" and now all the best solar cars are flat plates with sharp nose and tail and a tiny little bubble for the driver's head.

This can't be directly applied to passenger cars because you need to have a cabin bigger than the driver's head, and thus will have greater frontal area. You don't want to extend the front of your car out the extra 8 feet that would be needed to get a sharp point while having a reasonable cabin and windshield height. Pedestrian safety regulations also no longer allow sharp front ends like on, say, a Lamborghini Countach. So we have to accept a blunter nose. Historically, there have been cars that extended the nose smoothly forwards for aerodynamics; those old dustbuster minivans had a drag coefficient of just 0.30, compared to the Prius' 0.26, which is pretty dang good. (average pickup truck is ~0.60, a cube is 0.8)

On the other end, in the 1930s Wunibald Kamm discovered that you don't have to actually elongate the trailing edge of your shape all the way to a point to have good vortex handling. You can get like 90% of the effect by just starting the trend and then chopping the end of the shape off flat -- due to inertia and viscosity, the air will continue as if the tail of the car were still there, more or less. This is now called a Kamm-back and a lot of cars use it. It's very distinctive on the first-generation Honda Insight:

(Cd of 0.25, for the record. gently caress you Toyota)

The dustbuster minivan probably would have knocked a few more points off its Cd, bringing it within spitting distance of the Prius, if its roof tapered into a Kammback. Remember, though, that a Kammback is still not quite as efficient as bringing the tail to a point; if it were, airfoils would probably have that shape. But it's nearly as good aerodynamically while not making the car absurdly long.

And that is why the most aerodynamic mass-produced cars today have a blunt wedge-shaped front, a tapering roofline, and a flat rear end. The Aptera is just a little better because, as you can see, it has a longer wedge in the front and it pulls the tail all the way out. As you note, that's about as good as you can get while still making space inside. But any resemblance to a teardrop is coincidental :eng101:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 13, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

you can buy every replacement panel aftermarket so you can "build a 911", but if you try to sell a modernized 911 copy named Emergency Number or something, thirteen bored lawyers will immediately show up at your doorstep and bury you in six feet of lawsuit summons paperwork.

what I mean is that, does this rely on some kind of subjective notion that the rip-off looks like a 911?

or to extend what I am wondering, is how far away would you need to shape a car from a 911 before some subjective measurement determines it’s different enough that it doesn’t risk a problem

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Design patents and trade dress, mostly. Copyright does not apply to a "useful article," which in addition to free advertising forms a compelling motivation for prominent, trademarked elements for clothing and accessories. All that ugly horseshit on a vuitton bag? Trademarked. As long as your knock-off purse doesn't have that ugly poo poo on them (or embellishments considered trade dress) you're good to go

I think I learned something from this

Sagebrush posted:

:eng101: Fun story about that.

A water drop was believed for a long time to be the most aerodynamic shape because it seemed logically correct that a fluid would deform itself to the lowest-energy shape. Make cars shaped like teardrops!

However, it turns out that what people think water drops look like, with a round base and elongated tail, is only what they look like when they're dripping from an edge, still attached, and about to fall. In the air, surface tension pulls them into a sphere and drag deforms them into a sort of flattened jellyfish shape:

This isn't particularly sleek or aerodynamic; it just balances drag and surface tension.

Of course a flat plate turned edge-on to the airstream produces the least drag, like a katana slicing through a flat of Kirkwood Signature spring water. However, that isn't practical for a car or any other object where you need to enclose some sort of volume. Bulging the top (and optionally the bottom) outwards will give you some useful volume, and extending the trailing edge way out at a shallow angle decreases the energy lost to vortex formation. The classic teardrop shape with a round nose and long tail is, coincidentally, a reasonable application of these rules. But there is no need for the nose to be blunt. High speed airfoils have very sharp leading edges, missiles have ogival nose cones, etc. And the longer and pointier you make the nose, the less energy is lost in turning the air around the shape, and therefore the lower the drag.

You can see exactly when people realized this by looking at solar cars. For many years all the leading designs were shaped like teardrops, like the Sunraycer:

Then someone went "wait a minute, this doesn't make sense" and now all the best solar cars are flat plates with sharp nose and tail and a tiny little bubble for the driver's head.

This can't be directly applied to passenger cars because you need to have a cabin bigger than the driver's head, and thus will have greater frontal area. You don't want to extend the front of your car out the extra 8 feet that would be needed to get a sharp point while having a reasonable cabin and windshield height. Pedestrian safety regulations also no longer allow sharp front ends like on, say, a Lamborghini Countach. So we have to accept a blunter nose. Historically, there have been cars that extended the nose smoothly forwards for aerodynamics; those old dustbuster minivans had a drag coefficient of just 0.30, compared to the Prius' 0.26, which is pretty dang good. (average pickup truck is ~0.60, a cube is 0.8)

On the other end, in the 1930s Wunibald Kamm discovered that you don't have to actually elongate the trailing edge of your shape all the way to a point to have good vortex handling. You can get like 90% of the effect by just starting the trend and then chopping the end of the shape off flat -- due to inertia and viscosity, the air will continue as if the tail of the car were still there, more or less. This is now called a Kamm-back and a lot of cars use it. It's very distinctive on the first-generation Honda Insight:

(Cd of 0.25, for the record. gently caress you Toyota)

The dustbuster minivan probably would have knocked a few more points off its Cd, bringing it within spitting distance of the Prius, if its roof tapered into a Kammback. Remember, though, that a Kammback is still not quite as efficient as bringing the tail to a point; if it were, airfoils would probably have that shape. But it's nearly as good aerodynamically while not making the car absurdly long.

And that is why the most aerodynamic mass-produced cars today have a blunt wedge-shaped front, a tapering roofline, and a flat rear end. The Aptera is just a little better because, as you can see, it has a longer wedge in the front and it pulls the tail all the way out. As you note, that's about as good as you can get while still making space inside. But any resemblance to a teardrop is coincidental :eng101:

gently caress I love
youyre posts

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7023469407582129414

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I really enjoyed this post, thank you :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

what I mean is that, does this rely on some kind of subjective notion that the rip-off looks like a 911?

or to extend what I am wondering, is how far away would you need to shape a car from a 911 before some subjective measurement determines it’s different enough that it doesn’t risk a problem

you can file a design registration on a specific shape, ornament, arrangement of elements, etc. and prevent other people from selling that same design directly. it fits somewhere between a copyright and a patent; a porsche 911 isn't copyrightable as a creative work, nor can something like "two round headlights and a long tail" be patented, but the total combination of elements can be distinctive enough to be registered as a unique design. you might get a design registration on your particular tubular steel and leather chair, or your brightly colored plastic vacuum cleaner, or whatever. (extra credit: who am i referring to with these two examples?)

like ellie says, this applies only to purely aesthetic elements, not functional components, so you can't say oh i put two buckles on the side of my purse, that's my design, you can't make a purse with two buckles any more. it's only the specific aesthetic way that the parts are used to make the look -- the exact positioning of those two buckles relative to other elements, in a way that is positively aesthetic and not merely functional -- that can be registered. and like patents, you can't register something that is substantially similar to prior work or incredibly obvious. like many things in intellectual property law, it sometimes comes down to "what would the average person off the street think?"

of course, even if you are sure you're legally justified in selling your knockoffs, none of this will stop porsche from simply sending you a c&d and threatening to bankrupt you in court.

and then there's the whole situation where you might be violating trade dress, like how Fluke has a trademark on yellow multimeters, or if you say that your transmission is "just like a porsche Tiptronic" that's another kind of trademark infringement, or perhaps you stupidly used their corporate font which is copyrighted, or who knows what secret patents they own that you've inadvertently infringed while building your copies...

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 14, 2021

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

you can file a design registration on a specific shape, ornament, arrangement of elements, etc. and prevent other people from selling that same design directly. it fits somewhere between a copyright and a patent; a porsche 911 isn't copyrightable as a creative work, nor can something like "two round headlights and a long tail" be patented, but the total combination of elements can be distinctive enough to be registered as a unique design. you might get a design registration on your particular tubular steel and leather chair, or your brightly colored plastic vacuum cleaner, or whatever. (extra credit: who am i referring to with these two examples?)

like ellie says, this applies only to purely aesthetic elements, not functional components, so you can't say oh i put two buckles on the side of my purse, that's my design, you can't make a purse with two buckles any more. it's only the specific aesthetic way that the parts are used to make the look -- the exact positioning of those two buckles relative to other elements, in a way that is positively aesthetic and not merely functional -- that can be registered. and like patents, you can't register something that is substantially similar to prior work or incredibly obvious. like many things in intellectual property law, it sometimes comes down to "what would the average person off the street think?"

of course, even if you are sure you're legally justified in selling your knockoffs, none of this will stop porsche from simply sending you a c&d and threatening to bankrupt you in court.

and then there's the whole situation where you might be violating trade dress, like how Fluke has a trademark on yellow multimeters, or if you say that your transmission is "just like a porsche Tiptronic" that's another kind of trademark infringement, or perhaps you stupidly used their corporate font which is copyrighted, or who knows what secret patents they own that you've inadvertently infringed while building your copies...

this was informative thanks

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/weadhitter/status/1457967813998485504

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

going to the museum to say hello to my old friend

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.
-Aristotle

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

"what would the average person off the street think?"

Yeah, creating confusion in a reasonable person is the main test for infringement. Further than that is dilution, which is a non-infringement that could weaken the distinctiveness of a mark.

An excellent example of trade dress would be the shape of a coca cola bottle. The bottle itself is a useful article but the shape is eminently distinctive and tied to coca cola.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's a tasteful nude

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVzRnED0b8g

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin