Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nvidiagouge posted:

This isn't true. The whole way the EMDR session works isn't the same as talk therapy. Exposure is part of it but if exposure was all you really needed, you're constantly exposing yourself to those thought patterns already. It really does work to break those up and there's a lot of science to prove it. I was very skeptical going in and I've done a lot of different types of therapy before so I was pretty amazed by the results.

There's a lot of science that shows it works, very little science that shows it works because of the EMDR part, and not really much in the way of evidence for its claimed mechanism of action. But like, the first thing is what really matters if you're a patient so like, who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.
One time FYAD found out I was a girl and doxxed me and posted my cringe Livejournal stuff and a handful of people got banned for it. I was mostly just confused because I didnt interact with anyone from FYAD.

Also people thought I was a furry because of my avatar. I’m not a furry; I just hate Cookie Mouse.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

In British youtuber spooky video voice:

Was Rich Kyanka the mastermind behind the mysterious Wyoming Incident? What happened to him?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Frank Frank posted:

Yeah lol. I mean I guess it’s cool that he sold something totally worthless for actual money. Maybe he should invest in cartoon apes.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You know I wasn’t intentionally “misgendering” her right? I assumed she was a guy because of the way she was talking to me/doing the “u mad” shtick which is usually the purview of teenage boys.

Tuxide
Mar 7, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Shame Boy posted:

There's a lot of science that shows it works, very little science that shows it works because of the EMDR part, and not really much in the way of evidence for its claimed mechanism of action. But like, the first thing is what really matters if you're a patient so like, who cares.

Yeah if EMDR leads to you having some normalcy again, then it works.

nvidiagouge
Sep 30, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

The therapist i had said it was a lot more successful in people who had one specific trauma related event like I did with a family member's death and grief. The goon I suggested it to seemed to have a similar thing going on and I recognized some of his symptoms.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Noisycat posted:

I’m not a furry; I just hate Cookie Mouse.

This is a thread about and for cookie lovers, so watch out :toughguy:

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
If you give a mouse a cookie, you'll be out 20 bucks wtf that was from goldbelly

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

nvidiagouge posted:

The therapist i had said it was a lot more successful in people who had one specific trauma related event like I did with a family member's death and grief. The goon I suggested it to seemed to have a similar thing going on and I recognized some of his symptoms.

Yeah I'm not like saying it was a bad rec or meaning to call you out or anything :shobon:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

You know I wasn’t intentionally “misgendering” her right? I assumed she was a guy because of the way she was talking to me/doing the “u mad” shtick which is usually the purview of teenage boys.

That's a weird way to say "Ah sorry my bad"

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
In the line of EMDR (which I don't know anything about, I read dead French theorists and all that degenerate poo poo), I read about this patient story where after CBT, ACT, DBT, psychoanalysis, everything and the kitchen sink of psychiatric and psychodynamic treatments basically, some rather difficult traumas of a patient finally began unraveling and healing with their decision to do nothing about them. The affirmative, preferential end to shopping for self-improvement lead to a healthy narrative of self-acceptance. I don't think you can arrive to this kind of nothing without doing something first, though. It only became possible through abandoning and retroactively disavowing the previous treatments as well as the search for the next one.

What I'm trying to say is, before resigning into doing nothing about your mental health, please do something, anything, about it. Especially if you don't think it'll help. In the worst case, all those acronyms (which really do work for a lot of people) will give you better tools for sitting on your rear end.

Ihki fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Nov 14, 2021

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sonic the Hedge
Jan 29, 2014
He changed my forum name at my request. That was his greatest legacy

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Shame Boy posted:

That's a weird way to say "Ah sorry my bad"

You are correct. I did not say that.

loddite
Apr 17, 2012

I wish everyone who dies goes to hell no matter what.

Frank Frank posted:

You are correct. I did not say that.

Oh, well, you should, then.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i remember when the forums were down and the only way to see whats going on was with twitter so i made my first twitter account

and now i just shitpost non-loving-stop all day every day

i hate all those chud fuckers on twitter

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think I first started coming to this site in either 1999 or 2000 but I didn’t accept my fate and register for the forums until like a decade ago. I mainly stick to some megathreads; can’t say I really feel bad about missing the “glory days” or whatever and I’m pretty ignorant about a lot of forum drama and early toxicity.

I got suckered like nearly everyone with the “SA is broke” thing, supported the Patreon, got very disappointed when the DV news broke, and now this. Still a bit surreal that he’s gone. I don’t want to look up how much his cookie habit I personally funded but I donated to the gofundme which is something I guess.

so anyway is that fish buried yet

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Ihki posted:

In the line of EMDR (which I don't know anything about, I read dead French theorists and all that degenerate poo poo), I read about this patient story where after CBT, ACT, DBT, psychoanalysis, everything and the kitchen sink of psychiatric and psychodynamic treatments basically, some rather difficult traumas of a patient finally began unraveling and healing with their decision to do nothing about them. The affirmative, preferential end to shopping for self-improvement lead to a healthy narrative of self-acceptance. I don't think you can arrive to this kind of nothing without doing something first, though. It only became possible through abandoning and retroactively disavowing the previous treatments as well as the search for the next one.

What I'm trying to say is, before resigning into doing nothing about your mental health, please do something, anything, about it. Especially if you don't think it'll help. In the worst case, all those acronyms (which really do work for a lot of people) will give you better tools for sitting on your rear end.

It's important to also remember with mental illness that you most likely will never get rid of all symptoms, you just need to get them to a point where you can still accomplish what you want and generally enjoy your life. What that looks like depends on the person

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Mods plz give screamtag

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

Philthy posted:

i hate all those chud fuckers on twitter

Good thing they mostly went to Gab. Sort of. :/ :(

HonorableTB posted:

Mods plz give screamtag

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Tremendous loss.

Speaking of, has someone made a loss edit yet?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

oh my god

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

me? i liked frolixo content.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Moola posted:

oh my god

Have you buried Screamy yet?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

:sickos:

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

loddite posted:

Oh, well, you should, then.

1) Regardless of gender, I’m not in the habit of apologizing to people actively trying to pick fights with me (referring to the mentally ill lady here) 2) It was made pretty clear that engaging with that person on any level is a really bad idea and 3) It would be pointless anyway since she’s permabanned. You have a good one though friendo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

IGgy IGsen posted:

Have you buried Screamy yet?

not yet I'm making sure I find a good spot

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

1) nothings wrong with me 2) nothings wrong with me

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

Moola posted:

not yet I'm making sure I find a good spot

Viking funeral?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Outpost22 posted:

Viking funeral?

lol

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

Mulaney Power Move posted:

1) nothings wrong with me 2) nothings wrong with me

Somethings gotta give.

e: gently caress THOSE AREN'T THE LYRICS

X JAKK fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 14, 2021

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

Schmeichy posted:

If you give a mouse a cookie, you'll be out 20 bucks wtf that was from goldbelly

I am so late to this party, I just realized LadyAmbien's avatar is from goldbelly

Noisycat
Jul 6, 2003

If you give a mouse a cookie, you are supporting underground furry terrorists.

Lux Animus posted:

This is a thread about and for cookie lovers, so watch out :toughguy:

I like cookies, just not that spoiled poo poo rodent

rastarob
Feb 12, 2005

Form is emptiness, emptiness is forum

Ihki posted:

Forum is emptiness, emptiness is forum

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?
Rest in piss lowtax, your poison gun is making hell too loving crowded. Hopefully the legacy of SA being a thing outlives their legacy of abuse and spite.

My pary are with the chilren who lost their deadbeat father, I am truley sorry for your lots

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

1) Regardless of gender, I’m not in the habit of apologizing to people actively trying to pick fights with me (referring to the mentally ill lady here) 2) It was made pretty clear that engaging with that person on any level is a really bad idea and 3) It would be pointless anyway since she’s permabanned. You have a good one though friendo.

You could address it to the other transpeople in the thread who don't like to see it happen to others even if it's not directly to them

Or you could make more lists I guess, lists are fun

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Honestly I wouldn't harp this hard on that kinda post usually but "misgendering" in quotes like that got my goat a little. Just a little though, whatever, I'll drop it now.

Ganbare Gincun
Jul 24, 2014

when you gotta go, you gotta go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lowtax touched my butthole - it made me thirst for success. now i am thinking of buying a boat. thank you something awful.