Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Joe Bogan posted:

Resolve is 100% not the go-to solution. It's an absolute dog to cut in, but it is the free solution. Avid Media Composer is a reasonable monthly subscription and is better for cutting than anything else by far but is a little weak for motion graphics / flashy title stuff. If you're aiming at that corporate video style where the edit itself isn't as important as the overlays and plugins just grab a creative cloud sub and use Premiere.

As someone who uses Avid every day, defends it and would never use anything else by choice... Do not use Avid, at least not for this project as described.

Resolve is free and if you watch some tutorials, its slightly idiosyncratic work flow will make more sense. Premiere is the best choice for a more traditional style (of the ones I've used) if you've ever used any editing software before (or if you're familiar with any other Adobe products) and has a huge user base so there's a lot of tutorials, templates, etc...

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hmm, well you can see my dilemma :v:

Having minimal experience to speak of in terms of video editing (and zero in terms of Adobe), it's entirely possible that I missed in the tutorials why Resolve is a pain to cut with, i.e. I just don't know any better. But given that I'm in no rush for any of this, there's no harm in trying stuff out.

In the meantime, I also got a suggestion for WeVideo from someone who called it "video editing for dummies." A casual look makes it seem like it would work at a relatively low cost. Plus the processing is done in the butt cloud so I could presumably use my PC for whatever else in the meantime. Feel free to talk me out of it if I'm wrong though!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Trabant posted:

Hmm, well you can see my dilemma :v:

Having minimal experience to speak of in terms of video editing (and zero in terms of Adobe), it's entirely possible that I missed in the tutorials why Resolve is a pain to cut with, i.e. I just don't know any better. But given that I'm in no rush for any of this, there's no harm in trying stuff out.

In the meantime, I also got a suggestion for WeVideo from someone who called it "video editing for dummies." A casual look makes it seem like it would work at a relatively low cost. Plus the processing is done in the butt cloud so I could presumably use my PC for whatever else in the meantime. Feel free to talk me out of it if I'm wrong though!

Resolve isn't necessarily a pain to cut with, especially if starting from scratch, it's just that it's a piece of colour grading software that's since been turned into an NLE (non linear edit), compositing and sound suite all rolled into one, so it's not really built for editing from the ground up. It has still issues with real time playback on some machines but it is free baby. I'd give it a shot to start with and if you start running into issues, maybe switch to Prem.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm not a content production expert but I found resolve extremely easy to use and have done so to make several short info videos.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Your choices are pretty much this:

Avid MC - The masochist's option for a first time editor. Industry standard, steep learning curve, only really recommended if you want a career in editing or are doing serious long-form stuff. Not a good idea.

Premiere Pro - Basically for almost everything short-form on the web. Easy to understand, can be buggy af at times but not debilitating, very good for motion graphics integration with After Effects, highly recommended for beginners.

FCPX - Actually a great bit of software but not intuitive. Does some file / project management stuff that I personally hate but it's background rendering is awesome. Mac only. No-one really uses it professionally save for a few random places I've worked at.

Resolve - Brilliant colour grading software. Pretty horrible for editing and motion graphics in my opinion. Can also render out a much broader variety of videos codec-wise than Premiere. Not recommended for editing.

Vegas, Hit Film and the others: Nah, wouldn't bother personally.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Interestingly we're actually about to move to a mainly Resolve workflow. Editing and all! We have premiere and avid licenses/users primarily.

But our director of post (and our primary colorist) actually really likes it. So we're got to try it out - and we can always move back if it just doesn't work out.

Changing gears, only slightly, has anyone used the Mistika suite of software? The editing style looks interesting and I'm just curious.

The Workflows program they offer looks amazing actually and we might use it. It's AME on steroids and you can build node based automated transcoding workflows which is super attractive. Is there any other thing like it?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
First, thank you all for the suggestions! I've watched a lot of mini-tutorials and crash courses based on your recommendations over the last day :)

Second -- and I promise I won't keep digging much deeper into this rabbit hole -- I do want to understand this a bit better:

Joe Bogan posted:

Resolve is 100% not the go-to solution. It's an absolute dog to cut in, but it is the free solution.

frytechnician posted:

Resolve - Brilliant colour grading software. Pretty horrible for editing and motion graphics in my opinion. Can also render out a much broader variety of videos codec-wise than Premiere. Not recommended for editing.

I'm not necessarily going down the Resolve path (my system may actually be too much of a weakling for it) but can anyone explain why you feel it's bad for editing? Keeping in mind that this is for editing babby's first YouTube videos, with zero aspirations to get sponsored by Squarespace or SimplySafe or Skillshare or... Anyway, what I've seen in the various demos certainly doesn't make it look convoluted. Are we talking bad process flow or capabilities or something else entirely?

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Trabant posted:

First, thank you all for the suggestions! I've watched a lot of mini-tutorials and crash courses based on your recommendations over the last day :)

Second -- and I promise I won't keep digging much deeper into this rabbit hole -- I do want to understand this a bit better:

I'm not necessarily going down the Resolve path (my system may actually be too much of a weakling for it) but can anyone explain why you feel it's bad for editing? Keeping in mind that this is for editing babby's first YouTube videos, with zero aspirations to get sponsored by Squarespace or SimplySafe or Skillshare or... Anyway, what I've seen in the various demos certainly doesn't make it look convoluted. Are we talking bad process flow or capabilities or something else entirely?

Resolve has a workflow which I personally find annoying. I'm going to also preface this by saying that I'm a full time editor that uses Premiere Pro so I'm probably biased - I'll try and keep it short and not totally butcher my example.

Resolve basically has multiple tabs to do the various things in. It has Media, Cut, Edit, Fusion, Colour, Fairlight and Deliver. Effectively, these are all the different stages of your project. You cannot detach say a window from Colour and keep your editing timeline up at the same time.

This is annoying. I work on lots of fast-turnaround content and when I look at a timeline that I or someone else has worked on, it should show me as much info as possible and allow me to get stuck in. Due to the lack of window / tab customisation, I now have to flick back and forth through 3 different interfaces.

There's nothing wrong with Resolve per se. It's just nowhere near as customisable as Premiere and whilst the price is definitely right, it just drives me nuts how you can't, for example, easily detach the source / program window and have it on a separate monitor.

It's poo poo hot for grading though, can't fault it for that. If I had a tier list of easiest to learn editing in it'd probably be FCP7 and Premiere Pro at the top, FCPX in the middle, Avid at the bottom with Resolve just above it.

EDIT: Let me put it this way: even though I dislike Avid, it absolutely is full of "A-ha! That's clever!" moments when you learn it. When I tried to do an edit on a personal project in Resolve about a year ago it was "gently caress this, why aren't you.... gently caress this!". If you're making homemade videos for YouTube, Resolve is absolutely fine - especially given as it's free - but if you don't mind the Adobe subscription cost or you can acquire it through other means, I'd go with that.

frytechnician fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 12, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That's kind of why I'm recommending resolve. For very basic editing, you can just live in the Cut panel and it's not too much of a headache to jump into Colour for making the odd adjustments (that said the colour stuff can be daunting for a newcomer) and you can do this for zero monetary investment. If you start to outgrow it or it's becoming frustrating for whatever reason you can then quite easily jump into Premiere without having to learn a totally new way of working (which can't quite be said for FCP). Avid isn't really worth considering at this stage, it's unlikely you'll need the things it shines at any time soon and it's very unforgiving to newbies.

Disclaimer: I use Avid professionally and when I do need to just quickly knock out something small for myself, I've been turning to Resolve to the point that I haven't booted Premiere up in a year or so.

That said, there may be an advantage to just jumping straight into premiere. It's pretty friendly to newcomers, has a wealth of tutorials and integrates with everything else Adobe makes reasonably well. It's just like, expensive man.

Tldr: you've got nothing to lose from installing a free program and giving it a shot.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Tldr: you've got nothing to lose from installing a free program and giving it a shot.

Yup, that seems to be my way forward!

I'll post the results here eventually, just in case some other newb comes in looking for ideas.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Might be a bit of a dumb question, but i really love that cable access tv look and was wondering if that was done with the camera or in editing

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Might be a bit of a dumb question, but i really love that cable access tv look and was wondering if that was done with the camera or in editing

In-editing. Nothing is done in the camera essentially.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Awesome, much appreciated

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

My Spirit Otter posted:

Awesome, much appreciated

Do you have a specific example you liked?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Shows by abso lutely, like tim and eric and eric andre etc. Just the lovely cable access look in general

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I assumed he meant the 'film' feel and those early 80s bottom third text overlays.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I assumed he meant the 'film' feel and those early 80s bottom third text overlays.

100% accurate, friend.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
You want Red Giant Universe for AE or PPro.

Specifically the VHS and Analog portions

https://www.maxon.net/en/red-giant-complete/universe/tools?categories=606795

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 30, 2021

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Ah, rats, im just using shotcut because im not doing anything that will make me money so im not spending any. Thanks, though, i appreciate it none the less

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Tim & Eric, Steve Brule, and early seasons of Eric Andre actually did regularly use analog cameras to achieve their look. I believe an Ikegama was a favorite. The editors would also recapture episodes through a VHS deck while hitting it with a hammer to get certain effects

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Thats amazing, i love the idea of an editing hammer. Thanks for the info, now to find a vhs camcorder and blank vhs tapes lmao

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
That Alien isolation game also looped their videos through a VHS to get that analogue grunge effect as you can play with tracking to warp the signal.

DaVinci resolve also has an old TV/film effect.

Tho it's a bit of a peeve of mine to see chunky TV interlace lines effect that's used almost everywhere these days as a shorthand of "we are watching the news/security footage on a TV" even on present day TVs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BogDew posted:

That Alien isolation game also looped their videos through a VHS to get that analogue grunge effect as you can play with tracking to warp the signal.

DaVinci resolve also has an old TV/film effect.

Tho it's a bit of a peeve of mine to see chunky TV interlace lines effect that's used almost everywhere these days as a shorthand of "we are watching the news/security footage on a TV" even on present day TVs.

Yeah the Red Giant stuff has some crazy granular controls to really dial it in as opposed to the early days of those effects. It's pretty crazy accurate!

But everyone uses that effect now (on just the default settings).

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

frytechnician posted:

Your choices are pretty much this:

Avid MC - The masochist's option for a first time editor. Industry standard, steep learning curve, only really recommended if you want a career in editing or are doing serious long-form stuff. Not a good idea.

Avid is what the dinosaurs trick you into thinking is good because they don’t want to learn anything new. gently caress Avid. Such an inflexible, stubborn piece of poo poo. I was stuck using that garbage for so long. Yeah it’s good for multiple users I guess but even Premiere has caught up with its team projects at this point. And that was literally all it had going for it.

And it’s awful for anything but 3 point editing. I don’t know about you but I’ve been editing professionally for over a decade now and I’m more and more often being tasked with screen replacements, paint outs, color correction, motion graphics and conforms, and Avid is dogshit for all of that.

Honestly I cut everything in premiere and then port it into resolve for finishing. And I will never look back.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Avid is what the dinosaurs trick you into thinking is good because they don’t want to learn anything new. gently caress Avid. Such an inflexible, stubborn piece of poo poo. I was stuck using that garbage for so long. Yeah it’s good for multiple users I guess but even Premiere has caught up with its team projects at this point. And that was literally all it had going for it.

And it’s awful for anything but 3 point editing. I don’t know about you but I’ve been editing professionally for over a decade now and I’m more and more often being tasked with screen replacements, paint outs, color correction, motion graphics and conforms, and Avid is dogshit for all of that.

Honestly I cut everything in premiere and then port it into resolve for finishing. And I will never look back.

I really like the way it cuts far better than anything else, and it's still the best for managing a feature film or series.

So know that I'm a professional avid user and advocate when I say that Avid is unquestionably dogshit for anything effects related to the point that it's verging on fraud to advertise that it even has effects capability.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Lizard Combatant posted:

I really like the way it cuts far better than anything else, and it's still the best for managing a feature film or series.

So know that I'm a professional avid user and advocate when I say that Avid is unquestionably dogshit for anything effects related to the point that it's verging on fraud to advertise that it even has effects capability.

lmao fair.

I've cut 3 features on premiere. Never had any issues. But i've never had more than one AE so YMMV.

edit: also hope you weren't triggered by the dinosaur comment.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Not an emptyquote

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

lmao fair.

I've cut 3 features on premiere. Never had any issues. But i've never had more than one AE so YMMV.

edit: also hope you weren't triggered by the dinosaur comment.

Lol, no. I get it. Plus I'm not old enough to worry about being a dinosaur anyway.

It's indeed rigid but that's kind of what I like about it. Once you know how it wants you to work it's so fast and efficient. Cutting from timelines is a dream that nothing else can quite replicate yet. That said, I'll jump ship the moment something better comes along.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
I'm avid about not using Avid.

Having said that, Premiere can really loving test my patience with certain things. It's track matte system is absolutely loving stupid as is adding warp stabilization to any clip which has its timelength changed. You need to nest to fix this in both instances, and with the track matte you actually have to go into the nest to make adjustments.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

my favorite part of the avid/adobe thing is that i've found it completely flipped on its head once you get into audio. pro tools still has some jank to it (why can you not customize shortcuts in 2021 :mad:) but using audition to mix to video is like trying to talk a child through driving a cargo van in a nascar race over a broken radio. i'm just glad premiere fixed its omf exports because i remember those being broken when i first started using it in the last version before creative cloud.

does anyone know if resolve plays nice with pro tools? i've gotten asked a couple times but i have no idea how it does with either external audio or graphics, and i'm really curious.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I've been saying for awhile now that the only reason I still use premiere is because it can connect with after effects. Premiere is a buggy piece of poo poo a lot of the time.

I've recently switched to resolve for some projects after 6 years working with premiere and I dont regret it one bit. There are so many things you can do easily in resolve in a few clicks that would either be tedious or impossible in premiere without just sending the clip to after effects.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I've never had an issue with Premiere personally. As a straight NLE it's fine. But I'm also a seasoned after effects user so I've only ever used Premiere as a pure editor. (And have always steered wildly clear of the AE dynamic link poo poo)

I'm excited to use resolve though. I mentioned it in an earlier post but we've moved to resolve as a company so it should be fun.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Lol, no. I get it. Plus I'm not old enough to worry about being a dinosaur anyway.

I meant because of your avatar

BonoMan posted:

(And have always steered wildly clear of the AE dynamic link poo poo)

I'm excited to use resolve though. I mentioned it in an earlier post but we've moved to resolve as a company so it should be fun.

I actually like dynamic link, you just have to put some planning into using it.

But I haven't quite figured out the node system in Fusion yet, I might like it better once I get the hang of it.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 17, 2021

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I meant because of your avatar

Dinosaur?!

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I actually like dynamic link, you just have to put some planning into using it.

Dynamic link works fine if you always remember to copy the footage up a layer and then link the copy. Otherwise it's shitsville, population: you.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey folks, after a little advice on working with EXR sequences in After Effects.

I've got a stack of VFX shots to do that they've delivered as 32 bit EXRs, I want to send them back exactly the same but AE can't do poo poo in 32 if I need to match grain, etc... Anyone got any workflow tips? As to how my projects should be setup and for delivery?

Cheers.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey folks, after a little advice on working with EXR sequences in After Effects.

I've got a stack of VFX shots to do that they've delivered as 32 bit EXRs, I want to send them back exactly the same but AE can't do poo poo in 32 if I need to match grain, etc... Anyone got any workflow tips? As to how my projects should be setup and for delivery?

Cheers.

Are you sure they need to be delivered back in EXR? Typically you'd get multipass VFX shots in EXR, use extractor to get everything out, do your work, then deliver your shots in 10 bit DPX.

What's their specified delivery?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

Are you sure they need to be delivered back in EXR? Typically you'd get multipass VFX shots in EXR, use extractor to get everything out, do your work, then deliver your shots in 10 bit DPX.

What's their specified delivery?

Need? No. That's just what they asked for. Kind of people that are crazy about resolution and "it's gotta still be hdr"... Etc

e: idk, I thought I didn't care enough to argue but now it's becoming a pain.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 28, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Need? No. That's just what they asked for. Kind of people that are crazy about resolution and "it's gotta still be hdr"... Etc

e: idk, I thought I didn't care enough to argue but now it's becoming a pain.

Gotcha. So what exactly are the issues you're running into?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

Gotcha. So what exactly are the issues you're running into?

Basically just the unavailability of a lot of effects in 32 bit like grain, it goes funky when I render it out and I haven't found a good work around or plugin that supports 32. Also, does it make sense to just tell AE to make zero colour adjustments to the footage and just look/do my work with an adjustment layer? I get the feeling ill just get blank stares if I ask them about colour spaces etc...

e: to clarify, I'm an editor first not a vfx guy so sorry if these are dumb questions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Basically just the unavailability of a lot of effects in 32 bit like grain, it goes funky when I render it out and I haven't found a good work around or plugin that supports 32. Also, does it make sense to just tell AE to make zero colour adjustments to the footage and just look/do my work with an adjustment layer? I get the feeling ill just get blank stares if I ask them about colour spaces etc...

e: to clarify, I'm an editor first not a vfx guy so sorry if these are dumb questions

Yes using adjustment layers is typically the way to go. Just provides better flexibility when needed.

As for grain, etc... while there is a lot of plugins that say they don't support 32 bit space, they typically looked well enough when I've exported. Can you provide more concrete specifics? Screenshots, etc?