Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Just make the minimap not show opposing faction members.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
All the things wrong with the game and WoW refugees are clamoring for a minimap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fireball already can't crit because it doesn't actually hit poo poo it just passes through them.

I'm sure this will be fixed when they do the nerf.

As a fire staff user I'm not a huge fan of the changes they better at the very least offer a free respec.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Okay so it took me awhile to figure out because i'm an idiot but here's an explanation for the War Board Bug. You can only sign up less than 24 hours prior to the start, and the real problem is misleading menus.

This one is within 24 hours of starting, so you can sign up as normal. It says Invasion Starts in 23 hours from this post.

This one says Upcoming Invasion but you won't be able to sign up for it. Even though the Upcoming Wars (bottom part of the picture) says it starts in 15 minutes, it hasn't started yet and won't start today. You can't even sign up for it because it won't start within the next 24 hours.

Also if you want to fix Chat Lag, which has been the bane of my existence, you can hit enter then switch to global and then back to your feed and that's been fixing it for me.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
You know what breaks my immersion? A broken compass. Any quick way to fix that without restarting the game?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
So finally got around to poking at PTR a little. One bit I noticed that hadn't been mentioned is that herbs are now tracked as a farm plant now. That should make it easier to find clusters for hyssop needs. I decided to try a 50 focus/everything else int with musket/vg and it seemed to work quite well. Still need more poking, but tether is very meh I've found. Active skills is blade, orb, and the one that causes an enemy to heal you every time it is hit. I need to actually hit higher level of mobs, but gameplay seemed pretty solid.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

LuckyCat posted:

My favorite part is no minimap because MY IMMERSION. Never mind literally every other piece of UI which the same argument could be made for.

the game files at some point had graphic files relating to a minimap in development, but never made it to live

speaking of which, seems the datapak file layout is different from how they were when we were doing the image in chat bug

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://forums.newworld.com/t/theres-a-trophy-dupe-going-on/542760

some kind of new dupe

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i feel like at this point "lol and lmao" is losing it's lustre

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

LuckyCat posted:

i feel like at this point "lol and lmao" is losing it's lustre

yeah, game's basically dead. not much luls anymore

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
It’s like some kind of reverse Icarus that did too much hilariously bad poo poo too quickly.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

So it lasted a month and a half, give or take? That sounds about right.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
It's definitely dead. I would know. I have been logging in regularly and running quests to make sure it's really dead at every level and so I can post if anyone else logs into this dead game.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

a dingus posted:

It's definitely dead. I would know. I have been logging in regularly and running quests to make sure it's really dead at every level and so I can post if anyone else logs into this dead game.

Huh so are me and all my friends

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

a dingus posted:

Well every game has it's diehards that say everything is okay. Star Citizen is incredible for instance.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

steam is dead, third highest current players in game on steam DEFINITELY dead

e: to be clear: notwithstanding lol and lmao

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Nov 15, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
the datamine stuff looks pretty neat, 6 new dungeons and wow-style mythic+ without the timer few people liked anyway

desert zone, crafting prestiges, mounts, group finder, 6 more weapons after void gauntlet, winter event, lunar new year event

if even half of that happens in the next year that'll be a lot for a game without a sub, more than some AAA b2p games get

I have a lotta games to deal with right now but this has been a good time, won an invasion today

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
The two people in my servers global chat were hoping they merge all the servers into us east and west soon asap

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The two people in my servers global chat were hoping they merge all the servers into us east and west soon asap

Why? The game's booming, that'd overcrowd and cause queues again

Last King
Sep 29, 2007

In corporate R'lyeh, Cthulhu works you.

Fun Shoe

LuckyCat posted:

My favorite part is no minimap because MY IMMERSION. Never mind literally every other piece of UI which the same argument could be made for.

this is classic *insert bs reason* because the reality is they prolly can't implement one literally. just look at their track record so far...

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What makes this game unenjoyable for me is that the pvp mechanics are such a mess. Instant, uninterruptable healing combined with near infinite potion quaffing means that some builds just can't be killed 1v1 and when that gets extrapolated out even a little, it can often take 3-4 people to bring down a target slowly which just isn't fun gameplay. PvP meta is healers and melee in plate that gives insane damage reduction, and ranged characters with numerous escape mechanisms so almost all the time, the "side" with more bodies wins regardless of any real input provided by players. It's just a big dogpile with numbers and no real gameplay.

At least with many other mmos, the pvp was pretty tactical in smaller scale. Here it's just left click and watch your 3 cooldowns.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

gently caress Man posted:

it's probably why i survived, i am usually trying to hop behind the mob

Is there any skill or ability in NW kinda like a classic “rogue” from D&D or even WoW/EQ? Like a “stealth” or separate “sneak” and “hide” where you can (within reason) invis off a path to go pee without having to sign off beforehand? I want to get this game if it lasts a few months and improves on some issues (like many MMOs need) but I’ve always mained rogues even in TT and I do like DPS classes anyway. I am hoping to branch out as an Evasion/Dodge Tank in Ashes of Creation if that comes out someday, but NW’s armor woes are out of whack right now (heavy/light armor bugs).

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

there are backstab mechanics associated with combat and perks that improve it. you can sort of stealth by going prone, it hides your name from pcs, although i'm not sure it reduces threat radius with npcs. there are a lot of graphical glitches along stone cliffs too, you can hide inside the cliff side in some areas of the game, perfect for going prone if you need to step away.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Is there any skill or ability in NW kinda like a classic “rogue” from D&D or even WoW/EQ? Like a “stealth” or separate “sneak” and “hide” where you can (within reason) invis off a path to go pee without having to sign off beforehand? I want to get this game if it lasts a few months and improves on some issues (like many MMOs need) but I’ve always mained rogues even in TT and I do like DPS classes anyway. I am hoping to branch out as an Evasion/Dodge Tank in Ashes of Creation if that comes out someday, but NW’s armor woes are out of whack right now (heavy/light armor bugs).

as far as going invis off a path to pee, sort of; go prone (z by default) into some bushes that physically hide you. being prone greatly reduces the range that your nametag will show up to other players for pvp; for pve, just climb up onto something that requires climbing, *then* go prone; mobs (even ranged) will ignore you once you get a feel for how easy this is to do (pretty much anything you can climb up to you can do this with)

as far as rogue gameplay in general as a focus on finesse/timing, sort of; if you're melee, you always get a critical if you're in the rear 180 degrees of the target's facing (i.e. you 'backstab' but it's just a guaranteed crit that follows your crit damage stats); if you go dex** and wear medium or light armor with a rapier, spear, or really any melee you can dodge behind targets and whip around to hit them in their rear arc for a backstab; if you get Real Fuckin Scary Good at this, you can dance around people and backstab nonstop, becoming a monster who can slip into a backline and kill a ranged DPS real quick

** dex is for extra dodges which is useful if you're going medium or light and still meleeing but otherwise you can totally play str melee and backstab, just gotta be even better at dodging. also you will die going light armor in brawly melee until/unless you become extremely fuckin good at playing melee light, quite the catch 22 but dex gives you a little more cushion around dodging insofar as letting you keep stamina after two dodges by reducing dodge cost by 10 stam, so you can dodge twice in light and still have stamina which is critical because the #1 Get You Killed thing in NW pvp is running out of stamina; with no stamina, you run slower and you CANNOT dodge at all until your stamina refills COMPLETELY, and because you can't dodge, your movements are much more predictable even when there's massive lag in a big battle; dex also gets a bow which combined with the rapier or spear is like the highest skill ceiling combo that can, played perfectly, slaughter everything else (except a dude with a tower shield, they'll gently caress you up real easy unless you're already a god with backstabbing and even then, dicey cause of shield bash)

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

They disabled coin transfer again. Surely there won't be another "lag allows you to completely break the game" issue popping up before Christmas. Surely not.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

ive been playing pretty regularly, but i think im going to stop. I spend so much time sorting inventory and storage between multiple towns and it's just not really fun anymore. you need so many tiers of bullshit to craft anything that i cant get rid of any of it. its just feeling like a slog. Also, now that im 54? 55? i dunno... im basically broke 100% of the time. Its incredibly frustrating. Im probably just playing wrong, i dunno, but its just not fun anymore.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Digital Prophet posted:

Im probably just playing wrong

After playing this game for a while I've come to the conclusion that wrong is the only way this game can be played.

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Just dump poo poo you don't need on the ground, who cares.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DerekSmartymans posted:

I’m not sure if it was datamined or a rumor but there was mention of daggers in the future and we all know what kind of mechanic that’ll be. I can’t wait because I definitely prefer rogue gameplay. But as for the pee break you can like others said just prone in some bushes. This works with mobs as well. I’ve had animals higher level than me walk within a few feet of me and not agro while I was playing on my phone or something.

:siren: Does not work with skull mobs at all. :siren:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Digital Prophet posted:

ive been playing pretty regularly, but i think im going to stop. I spend so much time sorting inventory and storage between multiple towns and it's just not really fun anymore. you need so many tiers of bullshit to craft anything that i cant get rid of any of it. its just feeling like a slog. Also, now that im 54? 55? i dunno... im basically broke 100% of the time. Its incredibly frustrating. Im probably just playing wrong, i dunno, but its just not fun anymore.

I hit some of that at the same level and took a week off and came back and ran through the 60 as fast as possible. Once I got there I could dump a lot of old inventory and get rid of things I didn't need post 60 and the game got to be a little more fun again.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

That Works posted:

I hit some of that at the same level and took a week off and came back and ran through the 60 as fast as possible. Once I got there I could dump a lot of old inventory and get rid of things I didn't need post 60 and the game got to be a little more fun again.

I was starting to burn out mid-50s but around 56/57 finished it in a mad sprint and hitting 60 got me hooked again.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Am I too late for the bumbum powdering?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Digital Prophet posted:

I spent most of my time dealing with storage too. With the linking of trading posts, there really isn't any reason to keep storages unlinked. Just link them and people will still need to go to the other zones to increase their storage in each area via zone reputation.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am still having fun running around chopping up vegetation and hitting mobs with my massive loving hammer of doom.
I did my first dungeon the other night and man, there was soooooo much loot dropping that when we left the instance my guy was walking like he shat himself, I am not used to encumbrance. I did John Wayne voices while walking around for a bit then salvaged it all.
I think the key to enjoying this game is to not know anything about anything, or what you are doing or why, and then do all that as little as possible,
I caught a fish!

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

I think the key to enjoying this game is to not know anything about anything, or what you are doing or why, and then do all that as little as possible,

That's the key to enjoying any MMO and not becoming jaded.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

I caught a fish!
This checks out. I have no idea what I’m doing, am leveling slowly because I have little time, and in the mean time logging in to kill some skeleton pirates (which seem to be 90% of the mobs in game) is pretty fun. Seems like a Herculean effort to get logging up. I feel like it takes a hundred trees to level up one skill level. Also, one of my lifestaff abilities used to have splash and would put a small regen on whoever got splashed and that’s gone now so whatevs. I’m probably super gimped and doing a lot of wrong things but it is a video game after all!!!

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

GoGoGadget posted:

That's the key to enjoying any MMO and not becoming jaded.

Thats the key to successfully playing a game, but for some reason amazon thought its also the key to making one

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

This checks out. I have no idea what I’m doing, am leveling slowly because I have little time, and in the mean time logging in to kill some skeleton pirates (which seem to be 90% of the mobs in game) is pretty fun. Seems like a Herculean effort to get logging up. I feel like it takes a hundred trees to level up one skill level. Also, one of my lifestaff abilities used to have splash and would put a small regen on whoever got splashed and that’s gone now so whatevs. I’m probably super gimped and doing a lot of wrong things but it is a video game after all!!!

Buying/crafting new tools and bags so you're using the highest level ones you can helps a little with that slog but raising lumber jacking is notoriously time consuming. As opposed to leveling skinning where it seems like if you're just skinning everything you kill you'll max out without really trying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Barreft posted:

Why? The game's booming, that'd overcrowd and cause queues again

They need to crush down at least half of the servers. There's a couple with over a 1k people at peak, but most top out around 350-400.

I don't see how this game's PVP is any different from standard AB in wow. There's fewer abilities, but rotations are important and armor perks are how you diversify.

It's not the plate that makes people unkillable, it's the fortify.

Digital Prophet posted:

I spent a solid half hour today just crushing mats at the arcana station. Got some good skill-ups, but I totally feel this post. The entire endgame is just a hyper-repetitive slog, no matter which flavor (profession/HWM/voidbent) you choose.

I'm gonna keep at it for a while, though.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 15, 2021