Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

bessantj posted:

All this talk of "dark and gritty" comics. has there ever been a What If..? or an Elseworld which has shown a Utopian/perfect world?

There were a couple of What If issues that did two stories in one issue on the same theme, one dystopian, one utopian: What If the Vision Conquered the World? and What If the Invisible Woman's Second Child Had Lived?

The original Superman Red/Superman Blue 'imaginary story' was basically utopian - in that Silver Age style where the morality of using an 'anti-evil ray' to 'cure' all the world's criminals and, um, communists is never really addressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

That’s ridiculous. I crave chicken nuggets, not violence

Chicken nuggets are breaded and fried violence to chickens.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

bessantj posted:

All this talk of "dark and gritty" comics. has there ever been a What If..? or an Elseworld which has shown a Utopian/perfect world?

Marvel did a mini series about a sort of Utopian Earth called Fantastic Four: Big Town.

According to this website by Steve Engleheart (I think ?) it was a mess, intended as a six issue mini to lead into a new line of comics, but got butchered into a 4 issue mini.

http://www.steveenglehart.com/Comics/Big%20Town%201-4.html

I do love the Covers, even if looking at them, I realize now the Hero covers have the heroes in the exact same poses, and the villain covers have all the badguys making the same pose.
Not sure if brilliant metaphor, or lazy art work.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I haven’t read enough early LoSH but that always seemed like a 1950s version of utopia to me - no environmental problems, no poverty, no racial or political strife, etc.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Miracle Man is probably the best utopian story I can think of

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I haven’t read enough early LoSH but that always seemed like a 1950s version of utopia to me - no environmental problems, no poverty, no racial or political strife, etc.

No racial strife after they made all the black people move to Brigadoon.

It's very 1950's suburbia, but obviously there's plenty wrong with it even before you break out the modern readings. Crime is rampant because there has to be something for the Legion to fight. There's political issues because wars are happening all the time. Then you hit the 60's and one of the members has an origin that's "genocide" and Legionairre bodies start piling up...

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

There were a couple of What If issues that did two stories in one issue on the same theme, one dystopian, one utopian: What If the Vision Conquered the World? and What If the Invisible Woman's Second Child Had Lived?

The original Superman Red/Superman Blue 'imaginary story' was basically utopian - in that Silver Age style where the morality of using an 'anti-evil ray' to 'cure' all the world's criminals and, um, communists is never really addressed.

The Question IRL posted:

Marvel did a mini series about a sort of Utopian Earth called Fantastic Four: Big Town.

According to this website by Steve Engleheart (I think ?) it was a mess, intended as a six issue mini to lead into a new line of comics, but got butchered into a 4 issue mini.

http://www.steveenglehart.com/Comics/Big%20Town%201-4.html

I do love the Covers, even if looking at them, I realize now the Hero covers have the heroes in the exact same poses, and the villain covers have all the badguys making the same pose.
Not sure if brilliant metaphor, or lazy art work.

Thanks. MU have none of those issues :(. Going to have to find them somewhere else.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bessantj posted:

Thanks. MU have none of those issues :(. Going to have to find them somewhere else.

No trade but you can find it online through less scrupulous sources.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

I read this post being said in the same tone as the "No Russian" scene from Call of Duty.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Yes, to eBay :ninja:

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Hey, does anyone know how to get Spanish language Spider-Man comics, either the translated silver age stuff or the Mexican ones that were original stories?

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Hey, does anyone know how to get Spanish language Spider-Man comics, either the translated silver age stuff or the Mexican ones that were original stories?

There are some of those going for really high prices on ebay and mexican auctions site mercadolibre.com.mx . Search for "El Sorprendente Hombre Araña La Prensa".

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Besides what Lencho said, Salvat (a, I think, spanish editorial house, but the language is neutral spanish) sometimes releases or re-releases tpbs and collected stories of superheroes for newspaper promotions, check to see if the spider-man ones have silver age stories. These are obviously re-prints, not originals.

Look for "Spider-Man Salvat" in mercado libre or ebay.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Thank you both so much! Lencho, you weren’t kidding about “really high prices”. I was pretty surprised until I noticed some of them were actually published more or less concurrently, so Spider-Man #1 (Mexican edition) from 1963 actually doesn’t seem too crazy at 1,200 bucks, but still…jeez. Oh, and searching El Sorprendente Hombre Arana La Prensa lead to a bunch of blog posts by Tom Breevort about them that are pretty interesting.

Vincent, I’m definitely gonna check for those reprints/tpbs. I’m mainly trying to brush up on my Spanish in a fun way, also my kiddo is going to have Spanish as an elective for the next few years so who knows, maybe it’ll help me help her with grammar and whatnot. I made through La Telarana de Carlota last week so I think I’m reading at a fifth grade level! As a forty year old! Yayy!! :woop:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Which crossover has the most total books? Is there a major crossover with the big two that was never officially ended but the last issues were just never published?

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 13, 2021

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It depends on how narrowly you want to define tie ins, but totaling up all the Secret Wars minis when Marvel canceled every book, it looks like there's around 210 issues, plus 10 for the Secret Wars series. That's not counting any of the leadup or finales of the regular books. Have to imagine 220 is gonna be hard to beat. Every single issue published for 6 months was a tie in basically.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rochallor posted:

It depends on how narrowly you want to define tie ins, but totaling up all the Secret Wars minis when Marvel canceled every book, it looks like there's around 210 issues, plus 10 for the Secret Wars series. That's not counting any of the leadup or finales of the regular books. Have to imagine 220 is gonna be hard to beat. Every single issue published for 6 months was a tie in basically.

Over 200!? That's a marathon. I thought the 40 odd fro Secret Wars II was a bit much, mind you that was more or less the same issue over and over again. I suppose you could count in the lead up or "prelude to" books as well. That is a lot of books whichever way you look at it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

bessantj posted:

Which crossover has the most total books? Is there a major crossover with the big two that was never officially ended but the last issues were just never published?

Comicbookreadingorders.com had Dark Reign at 291 issues and Infinite Crisis/Countdown to Infinite Crisis at 348. From what I understand Dark Reign isn’t a straightforward crossover though, and many tie-ins to Infinite Crisis can easily be ignored.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Comicbookreadingorders.com had Dark Reign at 291 issues and Infinite Crisis/Countdown to Infinite Crisis at 348. From what I understand Dark Reign isn’t a straightforward crossover though, and many tie-ins to Infinite Crisis can easily be ignored.

Most of Dark Reign was just "this is the current status quo in Marvel."

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was recently making some space on my bookshelf and decided that I’d finally read this collected edition of Bone. As I was looking into whether the color version was any good, I noticed that first editions of this version were listed for $300-$400 on eBay.

That got me curious about my copy. Can anyone help me figure out if this a first edition or a tenth edition, and does it reliably sell for hundreds of dollars? That’s not a ton, but I’d get another copy to read and keep this on the shelf. I got it at Boston comic con in 2005.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Seems like the 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 indicates a first edition. Not sure if it's "the" first edition (it could be the first printing of a different version), so I don't wanna say it's worth a ton or not. Probably need to do more research to see what is actually looked for by collectors.

As for value, check eBay's finished listing? See what it is actually selling for.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Does anyone here have the Master Edition of From Hell? I’ve finally accepted that my old copy somehow didn’t make it during one of the last three times I’ve moved and want to get new (used) copy. I’m skeptical about it being in color and can’t really find any sample pages online. From the description it’s ‘expressionistically colored” by Eddie Campbell which sounds like it could be great, but I’d really like to see what that looks like first. Seems like it could be distracting if done poorly though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Does anyone here have the Master Edition of From Hell? I’ve finally accepted that my old copy somehow didn’t make it during one of the last three times I’ve moved and want to get new (used) copy. I’m skeptical about it being in color and can’t really find any sample pages online. From the description it’s ‘expressionistically colored” by Eddie Campbell which sounds like it could be great, but I’d really like to see what that looks like first. Seems like it could be distracting if done poorly though.

I read through it not that long ago. The new coloring can be a little weird sometimes but it doesn't really ruin it or anything. Here's an example of what it looks like:

I think mostly it comes across as unnecessary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Most of Dark Reign was just "this is the current status quo in Marvel."

Yeah that's like counting anything with the DC Rebirth trade dress as a "crossover"

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

I read through it not that long ago. The new coloring can be a little weird sometimes but it doesn't really ruin it or anything. Here's an example of what it looks like:

Thanks for the images! And yeah I think “unnecessary” is the key word here. I doesn’t look bad, per se, just why did they do this? Was it originally supposed to have been in color? I think I may still pick it up, my one real reservation about the coloring is that it seems like it’ll undermine how perfectly bleak and lovely Victorian London was portrayed in the original stark b&w.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

kinda ruins the mood imo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Uthor posted:

Seems like the 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 indicates a first edition. Not sure if it's "the" first edition (it could be the first printing of a different version), so I don't wanna say it's worth a ton or not. Probably need to do more research to see what is actually looked for by collectors.

As for value, check eBay's finished listing? See what it is actually selling for.

Thank you!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Uthor posted:

Former publishing guy here. The 10 to 1 numbers indicate which printing of the book this is; for each subsequent print run, they delete one of the numbers. So what you have there is a first printing, but not necessarily a first edition. Unfortunately, I'm not knowledgeable enough about Bone collections to judge whether it's genuinely a first edition.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 15, 2021

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

CopywrightMMXI posted:

348?!?! That's crazy.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It is crazy, and part of that is really pushing the limits of what counts as a crossover/event. That site includes all of the "Last Days" tie-ins as part of Secret Wars, along with the core event mini-series and all of the "Battleworld/Warzones" mini-series that are mostly self-contained and use Battleworld as a setting without directly tying into the main story. But Secret Wars was also the culmination of Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run, which ran for a combined 77 issues. And that Avengers run also included the Infinity event, which ran around 50 issues. And it had threads that were introduced in Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run, which was itself sixty issues and spun out of Dark Reign, which was a linewide status quo that ran for nearly 300 issues spinning out of the 126 issue Secret Invasion event that built off of the Initiative and Civil War and etc.

This isn't even getting into how several books not listed spin directly out of Secret Wars, and even books that do not directly address Secret Wars were relaunched after Secret Wars, I am sure you could easily push the argument that Secret Wars encompasses thousands of comics that you have to read in a specific order. It's insane and you can get the meat of the main Secret Wars story in about twenty comics, but a lot of Reading Orders don't really distinguish between "Secret Wars #1" and "a book of parody shorts released after the series was over" when making these counts.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

When comics exist in a shared universe and that whole universe is effectively ending it should probably be acknowledged in each title! But it's not like you have to read Street Level Hero #72 to follow the story of Cosmic Hero Team even if their stories all converge at one point. In a technical sense stuff like Secret Wars and Infinite Crisis are crossovers but I'm not sure how meaningfully descriptive that term is when it also applies to stuff like Spider-Man and Captain America having a two-issue team-up against Scorpion across their two titles.

edit: wrote this before I saw E&C posted with more detail

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Some of the IC crossovers are literally just one or two panels. Some of the JSA crossover issues are a multipart time travel story that has nothing to do with IC at all, aside from a panel where Power Girl experiences glitches whole time travelling and another page where a shadowy Injustice gang recruits Black Adam to their ranks.

Edit: that site does encourage you to only read the characters you’re interested in and acknowledges that most tie-ins are not essential

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

a lot of the original Crisis tie ins were like two panels of Blue Devil looking up at a red sky and saying "looks OMINOUS" so it's really a tradition

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It just reminds me of the Spider-Man tie in to Thor where the Cask of Endless Winter or whatever was opened and it's a single panel of Spider-Man web swinging and there's a bunch of snow and then a second panel where there isn't and he just thinks "Wow, that was weird" and an editor's note telling you to read Thor.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

It is crazy, and part of that is really pushing the limits of what counts as a crossover/event. That site includes all of the "Last Days" tie-ins as part of Secret Wars, along with the core event mini-series and all of the "Battleworld/Warzones" mini-series that are mostly self-contained and use Battleworld as a setting without directly tying into the main story. But Secret Wars was also the culmination of Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run, which ran for a combined 77 issues. And that Avengers run also included the Infinity event, which ran around 50 issues. And it had threads that were introduced in Hickman's Fantastic Four/FF run, which was itself sixty issues and spun out of Dark Reign, which was a linewide status quo that ran for nearly 300 issues spinning out of the 126 issue Secret Invasion event that built off of the Initiative and Civil War and etc.

This isn't even getting into how several books not listed spin directly out of Secret Wars, and even books that do not directly address Secret Wars were relaunched after Secret Wars, I am sure you could easily push the argument that Secret Wars encompasses thousands of comics that you have to read in a specific order. It's insane and you can get the meat of the main Secret Wars story in about twenty comics, but a lot of Reading Orders don't really distinguish between "Secret Wars #1" and "a book of parody shorts released after the series was over" when making these counts.

I suppose that is very true. Looking at core issue is the way to go.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Karma Tornado posted:

a lot of the original Crisis tie ins were like two panels of Blue Devil looking up at a red sky and saying "looks OMINOUS" so it's really a tradition

They should just do that over and over again in all the comics, just blue Devil, same line.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

More blue devil is good.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

They should just do that over and over again in all the comics, just blue Devil, same line.

IIRC, Blue Devil had two Crisis tie-in issues. He has a "check out the red skies" issue after which he's picked up by Green Lantern to go try to repair Red Tornado. Switch over to an issue of Crisis where he does nothing but a bomb in the Tornado blows up the JLA satellite and Blue Devil jumps through a portal to cross over with Omega Men. So he really was completely superfluous to the crossover.

Also, Blue Devil revival when?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What's the one online TPB store that isn't Amazon or In Stock Trades? I think they're new, someone mentioned them earlier this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Uthor posted:

What's the one online TPB store that isn't Amazon or In Stock Trades? I think they're new, someone mentioned them earlier this year.

CheapGraphicNovels and OrganicPricedBooks are the other two players.