Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I definitely remember that, had a look for it but nothing yet.

I did find this one though:

AITA for telling my girlfriend that her phobia is ridiculous and she needs treatment? (self.AmItheAsshole)

you hear about people like this and you think it's fake then you remember the news story about the woman who didn't get up off a toilet for so long it fused to her skin. Her BF was bringing her food and stuff for 2 years before thinking to call the cops on her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

feedmegin posted:

In Europe, I regret to inform you, big supermarkets are also very normal.

They exist but I don't think they are as widespread as they are in US suburbia? I live in walking distance of three supermarkets (5-15 minutes) and at least one of them is quite big (to my norms, at least), yet there are also still bakeries, butchers, flower shops operating in the area. The kind of mega-Walmart type complexes also exist but they are quite rare, usually one, I would say, per 150,000 people. I was in America only once and I of regret not visiting one, I mostly stuck to the center of Chicago where most shops (even if they were all chains, like Walgreens, Whole Foods, Borders, etc.) seemed to be on par with the sizes of supermarkets I'm used to myself. The biggest store I visited was Macy's, but that's one of those classic stores where I think "wow, these guys have everything, except they have nothing I could picture wanting."

The typical grocery shop from when I was little has really disappeared though, and mostly been replaced by very small day/night shops that offer stuff you'd associate more with newspaper kiosks or gas station convenience stores.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for not giving my husband the prize I won

quote:

My husband of 8 years is a gamer, which has never been a problem until now.

When covid hit our country (not USA) we both lost out jobs and had to eke out government payments by running up our credit cards. We're working now but we both took pay cuts and we've hardly scratched the debt.

Then I won a prize in a competition - an all bells and whistles gaming set up, pc, dual monitors, desk, chair, headset everything down to the mouse.

Thing is, the cash alternative I asked about would more than halve our debt. More like down to a quarter. Hubby wants the set up - it's more than we could ever afford to buy him, he says it's his only chance to have a set up like this.

I'd love to say yes, but the credit card debt is looming over us like the hand of doom. Our credit isn't good enough to swap to a good rate and it'll be years before we could pay it off at this rate and cost an arm and a leg.

He's been sulking for days and I feel like The Only Grownup and a Big Old Meanie but Am I?

AITA - For refusing to participate in my future inlaws' holiday traditions after they demanded I pay 7k?

quote:

Don't know if the title makes sense but here's something context...

I (f33) have been with my fiance (m31) for 3 years. This is my first official holiday (Christmas) with my in laws since they refused to include me in previous holidays because I was just "the girlfriend" and wasn't "official". Anyways, My inlaws had a conversation with me about their holiday tradition which is a trip overseas that include the entire family. They told me that this year the plan to have a distanitation holiday and spend 15 days visiting parks, ski resorts, malls and doing family bonding activities in the spirit of the holidays. It sounded great and I was excited to be part of that but they told me I had to pitch in with 7k...seven thousand dollars to be able to go with them. My mind was blown because wtf that is a lot of money to spend on a holiday trip. For the record they're wealthy and work high paying jobs while I have a 9-5 job that barely gets me by. I said I was sorry but I don't have that kind of money. They said yes I do and brought up the money I had saved which is 10k as emergency fund for my 12 year old chronically ill son. I said no and told them I'm not coming don't count me in but they kept pressuring me saying I can't decline to be part of my first holiday with them as they planned to introduce me to everyone and more importantly this is a family tradition and I'll be disrespecting them by not coming since everybody will ask "where's Adam's fiancee?". I still declined and my fiance told me to really think about it as my son needs this trip and that money shouldn't be a problem since it comes and goes and urged me to take this "priceless" opportunity to be part of something special that his family do and strengthen the bond with them. He gave time to think but I'm not about to change my mind because it's insane to expect me, a mother of a chronically ill child to blow that kind of money on a holiday trip. My inlaws are disappointed in me pressuring me to make the right decision instead of dying on the money hill.

ETA: I just read a comment that had a really good question - The question was wether my inlaws will be willing to help in the future in case I needed money for an emergency and the answer is no from the way they talk about money whenever I'm present as if I was some gold digger going after their money...It's unacceptable.

Also the reason why my fiance keeps pressuring me to go is because he doesn't want to go alone since his family are expecting him to go and if he doesn't go then his family will start openly accusing me of dividing the family and ruining their traditions. His words not mine. This is what he said to me.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
What was that other story about an obnoxious spouse interrupting Zoom meetings? I think it involved the OP failing some sort of test because their spouse was banging on the door demanding attention.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Piell posted:

AITA - For refusing to participate in my future inlaws' holiday traditions after they demanded I pay 7k?

Its kind of damning there is no mention of the fiancé offering to help pay in anyway.

DorkusMalorkus
Aug 4, 2009

"That's not Latin!"

Piell posted:

For fucks sake, do not marry into this family!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

limp_cheese posted:

Its kind of damning there is no mention of the fiancé offering to help pay in anyway.

"Kind of"...?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for showing my husband the text his mom sent me and causing her to be disowned?

quote:

To start me and my mother in law have never gotten along. She hates my guts and can be oversensitive often times. I tried not to give her the wrong impression about me but we just don't like each other.

Sunday, I was feeling sick (I'm a new mom btw) and couldn't eat what she cooked for dinner and she seemeed to take it personal. She sent me a private message of what seemed to be her final straw with my behavior and it stated the following: copy/paste

quote:

"Oh yes I know and feel your passive aggressive vibe. You keep pretending to be sick so you won't have to eat what I cook? What? You think my cooking is disgusting? You think I'm unhigynec? WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU ACTUALLY LOOKED AT YOURSELF IN THE MIRROR? Apologies I forgot you're a new mom and can't be bothered to even get your hair brushed. You finally trapped our son and now want to use the baby as a pawn.I don’t like the fact you're my grandchild's mother. I don’t think I'll ever come to terms with it because you bore him. But I’ll pretend. Pretend I don’t know my son's been having chats with his ex every chance he gets. Be mean to his mommy. Me. And you’ll see how far that gets you. Oh and when I watch your shitbeast dog it stays chained to a garage day and night until a half hour before you arrive. It stinks up my house you know same with your hair and clothes".
My mind was blown and my gut reaction was to immediately go to my husband and show him what his mom sent and he didn't take it well. He tried calling her but she didn't respond. It was 11pm and he decided to drive to his parents house and pick a fight with her about the text.

According to my sister in law #1 who witnessed it he yelled at his mother and berated her and caller her names then disowned her which shocked everyone in the house. My mother in law is diabetic she fainted on the spot and my husband didn't stop he just walked out of there while his family were yelling at him.

I got several calls and texts from them claiming I just caused irreparable damage in my husband's relationship with his mother, jeopardized her health because she was taken to the hospital and worsthe of all making my husband disown her over what? A dinner that i could've gotten a few bites of? A simple misunderstanding? They accused me of causing this shitshow and turning my husband on his own mother and disowning her like that. Sister in law #3 berated me for sharing the text with my husband saying I should've confronted my mother in law alone instead of escalating the situation. She said I'm responsible for whatever happens next and have to fix the problem I created.

I feel awful overall and so guilty since she's at the hospital and the family are feeling tense. My husband is avoiding me.AITA?

(Edited for cleaner formatting and spacing)

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for showing my husband the text his mom sent me and causing her to be disowned?

Imagine the lifetime of resentment that capstoned

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ScienceSeagull posted:

What was that other story about an obnoxious spouse interrupting Zoom meetings? I think it involved the OP failing some sort of test because their spouse was banging on the door demanding attention.

I vaguely recall this one but I can't remember the details. I want to say there was a happier ending where they actually talked about it and the spouse admitted they knew it was immature but they were having trouble adjusting to being at home all the time and having basically no social interaction.

The wife in the teacher zoom post has got to be one of the most obnoxious people encountered in these threads. The best case scenario is that she's just mindblowingly immature to an absolutely insane degree, even accounting for her age. Worst case, she's got actual mental issues but that guy has already found out you can't really force people to listen or get help if their illness only results in them being really loving annoying rather than a danger to themselves or others. He seemed to not really get how huge of a problem this is though, regardless of why it's happening. Makes me think he probably knew he married a womanchild but he hasn't had to deal with her behavior full-time until now.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

r/relationships: My husband of 8 years is a gamer, which has never been a problem until now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tonfa posted:

r/relationships: My husband of 8 years is a gamer, which has never been a problem until now.

<whispers> wrong

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Piell posted:

Your husband is right he'll never be able to get a setup that nice again :lol: yeah welcome to being poor it loving sucks.

quote:

Sever... all their heads with a guillotine.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Piell posted:

She should accept the prize, in order to part it out and sell everything on the secondary market which will probably get her much more than the straight cash value. Especially if it has a good video card.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Soylent Pudding posted:

Yo just for that dog comment alone I wouldn't bat an eye if the OP decked the MIL across the room.

Treating an animal like poo poo because you don't like the owner is some insane psychopath behavior.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

She should accept the prize, in order to part it out and sell everything on the secondary market which will probably get her much more than the straight cash value. Especially if it has a good video card.

Yeah, this is what she should really do. "Gamer" versions of normal things always seem to be marked way the hell up, so she could probably make bank just on those, not even mentioning the video card. It will also result in more tears from the gamer husband, she's just got to make sure he doesn't get his hands on them first though.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for paying for my married daughters birth control?

quote:

My daughter (25 f) is married to (27M.) My Daughter came to me before she got married and asked if she could stay on our health insurance? 2 yrs ago. I said yes, her dad and I wanted to keep her on it until she graduates from collage. In the event she needed it. She has some sensitivity issues. So she uses a name brand birth control it’s the only kind we know of that she doesn’t break out in rashes with. Her husband is on his parents health care. Same thing he is going to collage full time. Both live in our guest house. So here is the problem.

A week ago my son in law pulled me aside and asked me to remove my daughter from our health insurance. When I asked him why? He said that his mom is upset they haven’t had any children yet. “It’s been 2 yrs.” My daughter told him she wanted to wait until she finishes school and they have a home and stable job. Before they have kids. This has always be her plan. My son in law, said that if I remove her then she won’t have any choice but to have a baby since her birth control is so expensive.

My response (this is where I could be the Ahole). “Did you talk to her about it.” (No) “How do you plan on paying for prenatal care?” (He didn’t know) “How do you plan on caring for your baby once they come since you are at school all day?” Last but not least. “are you going behind my daughters back?” I started firing question after question at him.

I was so mad. He told me she didn’t know he was coming to talk to me. So I walked up to my daughter and told her what he asked me. Causing a major fight between them. Now I have my son in laws parents calling me telling me I am the A. For snitching out their plan and causing a fight between my daughter and her husband. So am I the A here??

W T F. I hope she tells her daughter asap because this fucker is gonna flush her pills or some poo poo.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Cowslips Warren posted:

W T F. I hope she tells her daughter asap because this fucker is gonna flush her pills or some poo poo.

that's shady as hell, I wonder if he was banking on her mom wanting grandkids bad enough to stab her in the back or something

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Who the gently caress thought "hey could you force your daughter to get pregnant? thanks." was going to go any way but extremely badly?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Tell the daughter to get the hell out of there asap!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

Who the gently caress thought "hey could you force your daughter to get pregnant? thanks." was going to go any way but extremely badly?

Too long for a thread title but :hmmyes:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Yeah, this is what she should really do. "Gamer" versions of normal things always seem to be marked way the hell up, so she could probably make bank just on those, not even mentioning the video card. It will also result in more tears from the gamer husband, she's just got to make sure he doesn't get his hands on them first though.

I guarantee you if they take delivery of that stuff the husband will 'accidentally' damage some of it so oops they have to keep it now.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I guarantee you if they take delivery of that stuff the husband will 'accidentally' damage some of it so oops they have to keep it now.

I thought this was about the soon to be flushing his wife's birth control story at first

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for buying a camera to “spy on my mother”? (edited to add paragraphs)

quote:

F(15) Lately, I’ve noticed cash going missing from my room on a weekly basis. Usually in increments of $20 to $50. If it were a few odd dollar bills here and there, I would be fine with it. However, I work two jobs to make my own money. I plan to purchase a car the day I turn 16. If it’s in my room, there’s no excuse for it going missing.

I live with my mother, sister (10), and father. I immediately ruled out my father as he was out of the house the day my cash went missing. My father is a physician, he often leaves at strange hours of the night. I questioned my mother and sister. My sister denied it, and swore up and down she was not in my room. My mother was accusatory and defensive, but also denied it. I gave up on trying to get answers out of them. If they denied it, there’s no point in further interrogation. Before I get to the part where I may have screwed up, I would like to mention that I have tried other methods of circumventing this. I try hiding money, only to come back to my drawers ransacked and said money gone. Also, I used to lock my room and keep the only key on my person when I went to school. Once my mother caught wind of this, she ordered my dad to remove the lock on my door. So now I’m out of options and angry.

I logged onto my separate Amazon account and purchased an indoor security camera with my separate debit card. This wouldn’t be an issue, but when the package arrived, my mother found it, to my dismay, she also opened it, probably expecting some version of a sex toy to be inside (no, I’m not into that stuff). My mother spent a good chunk of time chastising me about my “perverted” behavior. I tried explaining she wouldn’t have a problem with it, as it’s in my room, but she was inconsolable. After thirty minutes elapsed, she found something more exciting to bitch about and left the camera on my bed. Whoops. I set it up where it couldn’t be concealed or dismantled, and like clockwork, It detected both my mother and sister entering my room. My mother was probably snooping through my drawers, looking for the giant dildo I don’t have. My sister, however, actually took a $20 bill. I showed my father the footage and he was livid. My mother had none of it and yelled at me, complaining about me somehow “spying on her”. Now, nobody is talking to anyone. My sister walked away unscathed, as that frequently happens in my family. My mother is pissed at both me and my father. But the two of us are good. He replaced the lock on my door on the condition that I threw away the camera, probably to get my mother to stop bitching, and resume her duty as neighborhood traffic cop. AITA?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Piell posted:

AITA for buying a camera to “spy on my mother”? (edited to add paragraphs)

Does hallmark make cards that say "Congratulations on your impending estrangement"?

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

The Lone Badger posted:

Forget "give me your house," give me your daughter's womb!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didn't come here to ask for your daughter's hand

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for embarrassing my ex-husband in front of his employees?

quote:

We divorced because my ex didn’t believe our son was his. I didn’t get anything in the divorce because he was being nasty and I was just distraught and wanted it all to be over. His sister stayed in contact with me because unlike everyone else, she believed our son was his. Earlier this year, she told me my ex was going to contact me for a paternity test because she had shown him a picture of our son and now he was starting to doubt himself. I will be 100% honest and say I didn’t want to agree to the test but I know how my ex is and I knew it was better for me to agree than to try to fight him on it.

We did the test and surprise surprise, he is the father. Now he gets visitations but excluding the first few meetings, I’m intentionally never there when he’s spending time with our son.

For the past month he has been texting me and telling me I can’t keep avoiding him forever and we needed to talk about finances and our son’s future. I ignored him for a long time but his messages made it clear he wasn’t going to keep waiting for me to agree and I didn’t want him to blindside me. So, I agreed to meet him at his office because I refused to go to his house or have him come to mine.

Anyway, he brought up the divorce and was claiming he wanted to make things right for what happened in the past. I got really annoyed because he was making it seem like something that just happened to both of us and not something he did. He was also making it seem like I should just rug sweep everything and we should go back to how things were before. I was furious and I yelled at him. He told me to keep my voice down so I got louder and louder. I aired out a lot of our dirty laundry which I knew would piss him off. I only stopped when his assistant came to tell us his next appointment was on the line but she could tell him he had to cancel.

After I left, he sent me a text telling me the conversation wasn’t over and told me off for embarrassing him in front of his employees and he claimed the “entire office” heard which is definitely BS.

Sure I accused you of cheating, divorced you, and left you as a single parent without any child support, but have you considered :decorum:?

edgeman83
Jul 13, 2003
I am betting on a massive age gap on that one.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
"I did consider decorum. I decided to ignore it. Also, gently caress you"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hughlander posted:

AITA for embarrassing my ex-husband in front of his employees?

Sure I accused you of cheating, divorced you, and left you as a single parent without any child support, but have you considered :decorum:?

So... he didn't believe the kid was his, so they divorced, and then some amount of time later he realizes paternity tests are a thing and asks for one? Or what happened there? Is this one of the situations where he demanded a paternity test and everything blew up from the accusation of infidelity, and now she's just giving in to shut him up?

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

So... he didn't believe the kid was his, so they divorced, and then some amount of time later he realizes paternity tests are a thing and asks for one? Or what happened there? Is this one of the situations where he demanded a paternity test and everything blew up from the accusation of infidelity, and now she's just giving in to shut him up?

There's been several posts here where the guy leaves because they're supposedly convinced the kid isn't theirs but they also never get a paternity test done. I figured it was something where the dude wanted an excuse to ditch the wife and kids and settled on that as the best option because they can just blame the other person. But they don't want to get a paternity test because what if the kid really is theirs? Better to just leave it up in the air so no one can prove them wrong. I don't know why this guy changed his mind, maybe it got too hard for him to ignore, especially since OP's still in contact with his family.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Brawnfire posted:

My guess is that he accused of her cheating when she revealed she was pregnant without even bringing up a test, she realized that even confirming it wouldn't change the fact that he's a lovely person, and they divorced. Then years later he realized maybe the son was his and she went along with the paternity test because he would keep harassing her otherwise.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

nothing about that guy's actions as described suggest he gives even the most cursory thought to what he's doing or why before going ahead

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Just gonna pester my angry ex-wife into coming to my office so I can start a domestic dispute from the convenience of work/wtf why'd she yell at me so loud my coworkers could hear :(

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only thing I don't get is I would 100% want a paternity test in that case as the mom because I'm getting a divorce and I'm getting child support, gently caress you from the top rope.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Let the Thanksgiving stories flow.

My boyfriend (31M) just thought to mentioned that he’s decided to travel with his friends for Thanksgiving, leaving me (31F) to scramble last minute plans.

quote:

We’ve been dating since September 2019. The first year I traveled with my family for thanksgiving, he went snowmobiling with his friends. I didn’t think anything of that because we had just started dating. I spent Christmas with my parent—they live across the country. He spent Christmas skiing with his friends.

The next year we had a COVID-safe outdoor dinner with his parents at their farm that is about 20min away from where we live. We did Christmas on our own. It was a really hard holiday season because it was the first time I didn’t spend any time with my family.

In September my parents asked my brother and I and our significant others to travel to them for Christmas. I talked to my boyfriend about it and he declined and said he would be skiing with friends. I specifically said “I don’t want to be alone for Christmas so I’m buying plane tickets.”

I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me then to ask about Thanksgiving plans, but I guess I just assumed that we’d be doing a farm Thanksgiving with his parents again. Today he really surprised me by saying that he’d be snowmobiling with his friends because “that’s what I do every year.” Woof.

So, twelve days before Thanksgiving, I’m finding myself scrambling to figure out Thanksgiving plans so I’m not spending it alone. I don’t have any family within 8hrs drive, flights are insanely expensive, my boyfriend’s dad makes me feel incredibly uncomfortable so I don’t want to spend time with his parents (especially not solo), and this snowmobiling trip is totally a ‘guys trip’ (and I have no interest in snowmobiling).

I’m really hurt. This is a really big lapse in communication. On both of our parts. But I’m the person left in the lurch and it loving sucks. It feels like he’s operating and making decisions as a single person. Where was the conversation about Thanksgiving plans? If he knew he was going on a trip over a major holiday, why am I hearing about it last minute? If the roles were swapped I would be checking in to make sure he wasn’t alone. Ugh.
\\

My boyfriend (34m) says there will be serious consequences if I (36f) cancel an early Thanksgiving dinner with his friends because of my severe anxiety

quote:

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 8 months. Since his friends all live in different places, I thought it might be a nice idea to invite all of them for an early thanksgiving dinner, in order for me to meet them.

However, I suffer from anxiety and depression, and because of this my nervousness to meeting them has made me extremely anxious, to a point where I can’t even sleep anymore. I feel nauseous and need to take Xanax every day. Because my boyfriend and I are long distance, I organized everything and am also paying for everything- even for everyone‘s hotel and Brunch.

A few days ago, I asked my boyfriend if we could maybe cancel the event because it was just too much. As I had all the work and am covering any expenses, I thought this was a valid request. However, he got really mad at me because this was an embarrassment to him infront of his friends and if I did cancel, the consequences would be serious.

At this point, I don’t know what to do- the invitation is on Saturday. My biggest fear is that I might not feel well and embarrass my boyfriend, and the whole situation just makes me really, really nervous.

TL;DR I am having anxiety because of an early Thanksgiving dinner to meet my boyfriend‘s friends, and eventhough I have all the work and cover all expenses- my boyfriend said there would be serious consequences if I canceled.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ah, getting angry and threatening consequences is always the best way to assuage someone's anxiety

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Just gonna pester my angry ex-wife into coming to my office so I can start a domestic dispute from the convenience of work/wtf why'd she yell at me so loud my coworkers could hear :(

Oh it was 100% an attempted domination move.

"Come to my place of power" Only she didn't care, lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Oh it was 100% an attempted domination move.

"Come to my place of power" Only she didn't care, lol.

She realised it was actually his place of vulnerability.