Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

MacheteZombie posted:

Did any of yall watch the I Know what you did last summer series on amazon?

The trailer was so bad I gave it a hard pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Froghammer posted:

I finally got Shudder and have been binging early 80's exploitation slashers. Any recommendations? So far I've really enjoyed Pieces, Class of '84, and Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYiGxfOL5eo

The Mutilator, Prom Night II, Sleepaway Camp, Slumber Party Massacres I & II, Terror Train, Chopping Mall...

Really I could just go through and list literally any movie I've seen that's on Shudder. I'd recommend Blood Rage too but sadly it's not on there any more, especially since Turkey Day's coming up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

King Vidiot posted:

The Mutilator, Prom Night II, Sleepaway Camp, Slumber Party Massacres I & II, Terror Train, Chopping Mall...

Really I could just go through and list literally any movie I've seen that's on Shudder. I'd recommend Blood Rage too but sadly it's not on there any more, especially since Turkey Day's coming up.

Blood Rage is on Tubi which is free.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Froghammer posted:

I finally got Shudder and have been binging early 80's exploitation slashers. Any recommendations? So far I've really enjoyed Pieces, Class of '84, and Butcher, Baker, Nightmare Maker

If they still have Amsterdamned its a really loving good 80s slasher.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

It is. And has an incredible boat chase.

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

Hollismason posted:

If they still have Amsterdamned its a really loving good 80s slasher.

Yep owns.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's also got a great theme song!

I never miss a chance to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKXeLnjvUNY&t=64s

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I really need to get around to watching that

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's really good unseen gem of a slasher movie with a great location and its got some cool rear end boat chases.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yeah I've seen talked up itt, I just forget to watch it among the pile of other stuff I got to watch

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Has one of the best first kills ever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It's really elevated though by filming on location in Amsterdam itself which gives it a totally unique look and locale.

MacheteZombie posted:

Yeah I've seen talked up itt, I just forget to watch it among the pile of other stuff I got to watch

I've posted the music video a lot in this thread. I really love it.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 14, 2021

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

Finally watched Black Christmas (OG) and was starting to think it was overhyped because the first 40 minutes is a bunch of fluff (Mostly following the housemother, who dies on minute 40 and has no impact on the plot.) I started to appreciate the weird structure and goofy characters. THEN, the mundane slowness starts paying off, getting me immersed in the world. Compared to later slasher movies, almost nothing happens in the climax, and yet it's scary as gently caress. It's only the 3rd of the genre to scare me, along with Halloween 1 and Scream 1. That final long take across the dark, empty hallway. Billy doing his Billy thing. Such a great villain somehow, despite us learning literally nothing about him.

Movie owned. I don't know if I'd cut any of the weird filler scenes. I guess Paranormal Activity got me the same way, using a lot of seemingly mundane and redundant scenes to immerse you.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you can not cut the toilet alcohol, its iconic

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

you can not cut the toilet alcohol, its iconic

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Re-watched Scream 3 the other day, it was better than I remember. Still not great and a big step down from the first two, mostly because the script is lousy, but it has some good moments and I really like Parker Posey. It’s a bad Scream movie but an OK slasher.

Also finished up Midnight Mass last night, I really loved it. I always love a good vampire feeding frenzy scene and it has one of the best ones I can remember.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Scissorfighter posted:

Finally watched Black Christmas (OG) and was starting to think it was overhyped because the first 40 minutes is a bunch of fluff (Mostly following the housemother, who dies on minute 40 and has no impact on the plot.) I started to appreciate the weird structure and goofy characters. THEN, the mundane slowness starts paying off, getting me immersed in the world. Compared to later slasher movies, almost nothing happens in the climax, and yet it's scary as gently caress. It's only the 3rd of the genre to scare me, along with Halloween 1 and Scream 1. That final long take across the dark, empty hallway. Billy doing his Billy thing. Such a great villain somehow, despite us learning literally nothing about him.

Movie owned. I don't know if I'd cut any of the weird filler scenes. I guess Paranormal Activity got me the same way, using a lot of seemingly mundane and redundant scenes to immerse you.

What I love about it is that it feels like a realistic series of murders, like I could imagine a scenario like that playing out in real-life with a killer who nobody even knows is in the house with them until it's way too late, picking off people one by one.

Slashers aren't typically scary because the killer is sort of omnipresent and too gregarious and lucky. The reason Jason chews through so many victims is that either they're oblivious, he gets lucky, or else he just murders literally every witness to each kill. Billy isn't some powerhouse like Jason or Michael Myers, and it feels like if he were found out sooner then he could be easily stopped. Ghostface from Scream is kind of the same deal, like he's just some random person in a costume with a knife and he could be anywhere or anybody and relies on isolating and picking people off. It's more scary when you're up against someone real, someone who could be hiding in the shadows in real life or someone you know.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m halfway through Haunting of Hill House and I’ve been creeped out more times than I can count. There have been several things that got to me but in particular, I had a few sleep paralysis experiences when I was a kid. So, yeah.

I watched all of Midnight Mass yesterday, and now I’m doing this. It’s been a total Flanagan Weekend over here.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Haunting of Hill House is my favourite of the Flanagan series, because it does have some incredibly creepy moments. It just suffers from the same problem as a ton of Netflix series: too many episodes. I also hated the final episode but it seems to be polarising rather than universally disliked.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Yeah, I really liked episodes 1-6 of Hill House. There was a lot of really well-done stuff in there, and the plot kept me interested.

After that it began to get a little boring, and now I’m kinda half-watching watching the final episode while typing this post.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Hollismason posted:

It's really elevated though by filming on location in Amsterdam itself which gives it a totally unique look and locale.

Half of it was actually filmed in Utrecht, the other big-city-with-canals in The Netherlands.
I live there and wrote a thing about it in the October thread 2 or 3 years ago when watching it.
Once you know the difference it becomes a fun game, trying to find where it was filmed.

Basically; Amsterdam has houses and streets right next to the canals.
Utrecht has houses and streets, but outside are stairs everywhere leading to a lower level wharf-like area next to the actual canal.
Boats would dock there and roll their goods into giant cellars, under the houses.
Nowadays those cellars are shops, bars, restaurants or whatever, with much of the wharfs in front of them used for outside dining.

This whole bit where they jump onto land and people scatter is in Utrecht, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f4KPhbgGl8&t=272s
You'll spot the stairs and people walking on street level, but as soon as the marching band shows footage was shot in Amsterdam so the street is right next to the canal again and not a whole level up.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Tarnop posted:

Haunting of Hill House is my favourite of the Flanagan series, because it does have some incredibly creepy moments. It just suffers from the same problem as a ton of Netflix series: too many episodes. I also hated the final episode but it seems to be polarising rather than universally disliked.

What surprised me was even Midnight Mass which is only seven episodes I felt Flanagan/Netflix spun their wheels a little bit. Liked it a lot overall though.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 15, 2021

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Midnight Mass is like 65% boring as heck but that other 35% makes it worth it. I’d put it above Bly Manor but below Hill House (caveat I have 2 episodes of Midnight Mass left).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

From Rob: Richard Brake on the set of the Munsters as Dr. Henry Augustus Wolfgang

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BioTech posted:

Half of it was actually filmed in Utrecht, the other big-city-with-canals in The Netherlands.
I live there and wrote a thing about it in the October thread 2 or 3 years ago when watching it.
Once you know the difference it becomes a fun game, trying to find where it was filmed.

Basically; Amsterdam has houses and streets right next to the canals.
Utrecht has houses and streets, but outside are stairs everywhere leading to a lower level wharf-like area next to the actual canal.
Boats would dock there and roll their goods into giant cellars, under the houses.
Nowadays those cellars are shops, bars, restaurants or whatever, with much of the wharfs in front of them used for outside dining.

This whole bit where they jump onto land and people scatter is in Utrecht, for example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f4KPhbgGl8&t=272s
You'll spot the stairs and people walking on street level, but as soon as the marching band shows footage was shot in Amsterdam so the street is right next to the canal again and not a whole level up.

Cool, yeah I thought it was all filmed in Amsterdam, that's neat to know. Still the shooting locations they did use really elevate the film, plus a lot of the film is in broad daylight which is nice.

Anyway Amsterdamned is a good slasher that deserves being revisited by people and watched because its a hidden gem of a movie.

You should repost your comments on the movie.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Watched Titane. That was cool. Really pretty at first, then kinda fell off for me. Still liked it a lot.

However, I expected more murder, and definitely more…car.

Pieces up next.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

My friend is horror buff who once posed the question "What's the most hosed up horror film you've seen?" I went through my mental catalog; Sleep Tight, A Serbian Film, The Skin I Live In, Irreversible, Martyrs, etc... but I needed something cruel, something mean and visceral... So months ago I mentioned the one film that I knew would just ruin his day and he always asked when we'd watch it.

Last night we watched Megan is Missing... and boy, did that go over well. He didn't sleep last night. lmao

I'm thinking we move onto Dear Zachary next, while, not quite horror is one hell of a thing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Goddamnit you just reminded me that Megan is Missing actual exists as a loving film. I've went nearly a year not remembering that loving movie.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Pieces rules. It’s the dumbest horror movie I’ve ever seen. It’s a whodunnit slasher, but none of the “clues” work in any way. There are several scenes that seem important but add nothing to the movie. Many characters show up, and never come back. 10/10

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megan is missing is so lovely lmao

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Megan is missing is so lovely lmao

Like, on every level. There's an early scene where a boom mic drops into frame IIRC.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that poo poo is so hack. And it’s insanely gross.

Also too the director going around on IMDb forums and defending it was pretty sad.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

i actually went and watched halloween kills last week and it pwns. lol at micheal killing the kid wearing the silver shamrock mask

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Pieces rules. It’s the dumbest horror movie I’ve ever seen. It’s a whodunnit slasher, but none of the “clues” work in any way. There are several scenes that seem important but add nothing to the movie. Many characters show up, and never come back. 10/10

Yea Pieces is awesome

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

sigher posted:

I'm thinking we move onto Dear Zachary next, while, not quite horror is one hell of a thing.

That one's a hard gut punch.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i actually went and watched halloween kills last week and it pwns. lol at micheal killing the kid wearing the silver shamrock mask

I suddenly find myself wanting a world where the original Halloween movies were made in the Halloween universe, except based on true events.

Michael is now going round killing everyone who liked Halloween 3. He killed Tommy Wallace because he got confused and thought Tommy was the director.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Halloween Kills slaps

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I checked my notes and it appears to be quite mediocre.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Halloween Kills slaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006