Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

The Chad Tomino: It's 1987 and in this speech I will have my character tell politicians that they're destroying the earth.

The Virgin Konaka: People are being mean to me on twitter because I said I trust alt-right nutjobs but not vaccines.

Did you miss the part where he apologized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

He never complained about people being mean to him. He owned up. What you said exists entirely in your head and not reality.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I would also say 15 years is quite a long time on a personal level. If you believe the same things and think the same way you did 15 years ago then you have a startling lack of self consciousness

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i mean personally i think the konaka stuff sounded dumb as hell, if he apologized that's alright but i still think it's mega lame to "well Actually he's not bad at all why'd you all try and Cancel him people just like getting outraged!!" it when by 'cancelling' was people going "wow this kinda sucks" on twitter, also lol at saying that 'climate change was fake' was a mainstream opinion from 15 years ago, im sure that was pretty fringe even back then (e: i think i misread a bit?? still, i don't really agree that it being from 15 years ago clears it on that point)

Booky fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 1, 2021

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

star driver was all style and no substance but it still compares favorably to shows that didn't have either.

star driver ftw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Booky posted:

i mean personally i think the konaka stuff sounded dumb as hell, if he apologized that's alright but i still think it's mega lame to "well Actually he's not bad at all why'd you all try and Cancel him people just like getting outraged!!" it when by 'cancelling' was people going "wow this kinda sucks" on twitter, also lol at saying that 'climate change was fake' was a mainstream opinion from 15 years ago, im sure that was pretty fringe even back then (e: i think i misread a bit?? still, i don't really agree that it being from 15 years ago clears it on that point)

I'm willing to bet a large portion of posters on this website (not just adtrw) said and believed things 15 years ago they wouldn't condone today

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Hell I thought about it and in 15 years people can get a whole lot worse so I'll drop that point

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

The Chad Tomino: It's 1987 and in this speech I will have my character tell politicians that they're destroying the earth.

The Virgin Konaka: People are being mean to me on twitter because I said I trust alt-right nutjobs but not vaccines.
The Chad Tomino: here is a list of all the 16 year old idols i want to gently caress

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, how about that Kyoukai Senki, huh?

It's not a very good anime.

One thing that stands out, though, is how childish its approach to everything is. Which gets a little weird with how the model kit line is aimed at older builders, and how the show has a central premise that suggests room for a lot more nuance, with the protagonists being in a position of moral ambiguity. Shows like Iron Blooded Orphans, Code Geass, and even Gundam Wing put emphasis on the protagonist faction's rough side, here they're pasteboard saints, while the villains mustache twirl like crazy.

The latest episode has the villains selling everyone who protests into slavery... which feels really weird with how willing people were to protest, and how normal life is being portrayed otherwise. And then he sets off a massacre, which seems to be a questionable move with the visible freedom of information and the presence of accepted international courts. You don't want to give all your neighbors casus belli to take your poo poo when they're right next door, and it's really confusing how the Chinese faction is doing a public execution when they've never done it before. Again, the show seems really unsure of the level of oppression it wants Japan to be under.

The villain factions are bad enough to casually murder innocent civilians without cause, but also politically weak enough that the slightest exposure gets them to stop. We also have a hero who hasn't killed five episodes in, which is another part of the show that makes it feel oddly childish.

Moving to the protagonist, he continues to show some of the same sins as the protagonist of the writer's previous show, Gundam Build Divers. Amou isn't as void of personality as Riku was, but he's pretty bland. He's kind of a wuss, but it hasn't lead to narrative consequences yet, he's nice but not so nice as to make him get entangled into plots that most characters would pass up on, and in general he doesn't have any traits to make him more than a general purpose Best Value mech protagonist.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

in conclusion, tomino and konaka are both total weirdos,

also how long's kyoukai senki gonna be? 24~ eps?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know Gorf gets huffed up whenever people talk about hatewatching shows but these Kyokai Senki breakdowns are entertaining. Stumbling around trying to come up with compelling geopolitics and failing is fun.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I know Gorf gets huffed up whenever people talk about hatewatching shows but these Kyokai Senki breakdowns are entertaining. Stumbling around trying to come up with compelling geopolitics and failing is fun.

You must be pretty butthurt to call me out specifically.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GorfZaplen posted:

You must be pretty butthurt to call me out specifically.

Your prolific, can't be helped.

Gimme more bad mecha anime coming up with half assed excuses for why the Chinese are publicly executing Japanese civilians and enslaving people without the international political web going insane.

Or give me evil Australians beating up defenseless civilians and chucking everything in the back of their ute mechas.

Embrace the stupid.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 1, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Booky posted:

also how long's kyoukai senki gonna be? 24~ eps?

Give or take, yeah. 2 cours.

I've read that it primarily exists so that Bandai has something to train animators for traditional mech animation, which scans. Model kit designs are unique, meaning the costs get covered, and if the show sucks, eh, it still did its job.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

The Chad Tomino: here is a list of all the 16 year old idols i want to gently caress

I get that some posters get their jimmies rustled by these conversations, but I always learn something new so I'm glad that we're having them. Today, for example, I learned a new awful Tomino fact. What did he say and when did he say it?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I know he said a lot of dumb things but I don't think I've ever heard this one.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

I get that some posters get their jimmies rustled by these conversations, but I always learn something new so I'm glad that we're having them. Today, for example, I learned a new awful Tomino fact. What did he say and when did he say it?

I love that you consider it learning a fact before presented with a single piece of evidence to back up the claim.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tomino named a character after Lemon People. He's always been sus

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

GorfZaplen posted:

Tomino named a character after Lemon People. He's always been sus

Or maybe not

quote:

Elpeo Ple is super popular and her name also has a backstory to it. Director Tomino is the one who came up with her name. The director was reading a book that talked about a family of adorable fairies, so he used their name. In other words, the people of El. However, there was an issue with the name. When he suggested the name to the scriptwriter, Mr. Endo, he rejected it, saying, “But we already have Elle and Roux.” Despite that, he managed to get it through as he took a particular liking to the name Elpeo Ple.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

another myth destroyed 🤯

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Well I'll be!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The fairy connection still means it's sus though!

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I love that you consider it learning a fact before presented with a single piece of evidence to back up the claim.

Friend, I asked for the source right at the end of the post.

I love you SA, never change.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Lmfao

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

GimmickMan posted:

You've already accepted the claim as fact before receiving evidence. As I said in my first post.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
So what did he say?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

What's beautiful about this conversation is that nobody apparently knows what it is that Endorph actually referenced. We're making assumptions and jumping to conclusions, but we've moved on from making conclusions about Tomino to making conclusions about other posters.

My assumption is that, because her post was in response to a chad and virgin meme, which is one of the least serious forms in which one can present an argument, Endorph is exaggerating for comedic effect and that Tomino said something very inappropriate about an idol group's looks or the like, not that he literally said "I want to gently caress this list of idols" in an interview or whatever. Tomino usually keeps his weirdness about women to adult ones (see: Nanai, Lupe) so I'm asking for the thing he actually said.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph causing chaos in the mecha thread by releasing sex pervert anime directors numbered 1,2, and 4.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/WAX_io/status/1457426375632203781?s=20

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

These are not deculture

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Argas posted:

These are not deculture

:drat: I wish I’d thought of that.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

So if anyone was concerned that Kyoukai Senki couldn't keep up the streak of being below mediocre, don't worry! They have once again managed to turn in a 3.8/10 episode!

And it comes right from the start when they have an exciting serialization fail. For reasons that the series avoids explaining lead guy and serious guy suddenly have to go into a mid-sized city from the wilderness to recharge their giant robots and covertly get parts for maintenance because suddenly both of their mechs are almost totally shot for reasons that are not explained. I was confused enough to go back to the previous episode and discovered that the next episode preview originally described what they were doing as "going on a mission" which is not actually what happens in this episode leading me to wonder if we've got some production troubles up in here. At the same time it could just be that absolutely no one cares about being consistent in the writing of the series because they don't.

Anyways, after about 10 minutes of giving the protagonist baby's first "how to be a guerrilla insurgent" (i.e.: don't talk about coming from another country's territory, shut up about having a giant robot, resistant supporters don't advertise that they are dealing in black-market giant robot parts, don't give the man with the gun a reason to be suspicious of you especially if you have a backpack full of contraband, etc.) and a fascinating little reminder that the main guy's characterization is not internally consistent we finally get to the giant robot action plot of the series and reminder that all the bad guys are cartoonishly incompetent. Basically Evil Australia decided to use protag-kun's declaration that this Evil Chinese guy was evil and literally doing human trafficking as an excuse to invade Evil Chinese territory under the pretense of "liberating" it, but then they gleefully jump at it when given the chance to massacre refugees taking shelter, in a way and a place that the Evil Chinese commander happily points out will immediately backfire on them in a stupid way and rip up their flimsy pretense. But of course what is the Evil Australian guy going to do? NOT murder a bunch of unarmed civilians clearly taking shelter from the fighting in a location that has no strategic importance after explaining the whole pretense for this battle is saving the civilians and ALSO after loudly and explicitly announcing that they don't care about that location because it has no strategic importance and they're only interested is in killing the Evil Chinese guy controlling the Evil Chinese army robots? Come on, this is Kyoukai Senki so let's not hold it against these one-dimensional mustache twirlers that they immediately shoot for a completely pointless slaughter. It's not their fault they were written this badly.

Fortunately our heroes are saved by a mix of having ridiculously powerful super AIs that can do basically anything for them and the third main character whose mech can fly (and whose partner AI comes across as really obnoxious) and you can very easily tell that most of the effort of the episode was spent on the mech flying around chopping up other robots.

As a show? Not particularly good. 3.8/10. As a viewing experience though? I am having a blast laughing at this.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Basically Evil Australia decided to use protag-kun's declaration that this Evil Chinese guy was evil and literally doing human trafficking as an excuse to invade Evil Chinese territory under the pretense of "liberating" it, but then they gleefully jump at it when given the chance to massacre refugees taking shelter, in a way and a place that the Evil Chinese commander happily points out will immediately backfire on them in a stupid way and rip up their flimsy pretense. But of course what is the Evil Australian guy going to do? NOT murder a bunch of unarmed civilians clearly taking shelter from the fighting in a location that has no strategic importance after explaining the whole pretense for this battle is saving the civilians and ALSO after loudly and explicitly announcing that they don't care about that location because it has no strategic importance and they're only interested is in killing the Evil Chinese guy controlling the Evil Chinese army robots? Come on, this is Kyoukai Senki so let's not hold it against these one-dimensional mustache twirlers that they immediately shoot for a completely pointless slaughter. It's not their fault they were written this badly.

Fortunately our heroes are saved by a mix of having ridiculously powerful super AIs that can do basically anything for them and the third main character whose mech can fly (and whose partner AI comes across as really obnoxious) and you can very easily tell that most of the effort of the episode was spent on the mech flying around chopping up other robots.

As a show? Not particularly good. 3.8/10. As a viewing experience though? I am having a blast laughing at this.

One thing that stood out to me was that the Chinese soldiers ordering around the civilians didn't go "We're sorry about this" "This is for your safety" "We'll be better able to protect you from a central location", or anything else that's both true and useful when trying to get people who have very little reason to trust you to cooperate. They seemed to go out of their way to not do the most basic management of civilian relations, when they should be desperately trying to look like the good guys after their little PR disaster last time.

And again, the show's unsure on its levels of tyranny, because nobody acts like they're used to having people with guns shove them around, but the villains act like this is a regular Saturday night thing.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bit late on the news but new Fafner the Beyond trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4STVhSUF_w4

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GimmickMan posted:

My assumption is that, because her post was in response to a chad and virgin meme, which is one of the least serious forms in which one can present an argument, Endorph is exaggerating for comedic effect and that Tomino said something very inappropriate about an idol group's looks or the like, not that he literally said "I want to gently caress this list of idols" in an interview or whatever. Tomino usually keeps his weirdness about women to adult ones (see: Nanai, Lupe) so I'm asking for the thing he actually said.
you would be correct

“I keep looking at AKB48 girl’s legs. The space between their knees and their skirts”

the primary sources are p. bad here since hes linking to random twitter accounts transcribing the interview, not specific tweets or clips, but tomino being into idols is a known thing and its not like he hasnt made pervy comments before so im fully willing to believe it. and the gundam cafe specifically is noteworthy for having cannibalized some akb48 stores so presumably thats how it got brought up.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 14, 2021

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Just a heads up, Amazon has a bunch of anime on sale currently, the biggest one I saw was the entire eureka 7 series on blu ray for $20.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

you would be correct

“I keep looking at AKB48 girl’s legs. The space between their knees and their skirts”

the primary sources are p. bad here since hes linking to random twitter accounts transcribing the interview, not specific tweets or clips, but tomino being into idols is a known thing and its not like he hasnt made pervy comments before so im fully willing to believe it. and the gundam cafe specifically is noteworthy for having cannibalized some akb48 stores so presumably thats how it got brought up.

Isn't Tomino a fan of Love Live?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, new Kyoukai Senki this week, and, credit where due, they actually addressed one of my complaints. We see the American controlled areas of Japan, and it feels different from the Chinese or Australian sections, with the Americans being on decent terms with the locals. At the same time, we get Brad, the American POV character, meditating on how, even if they don't actively oppress the locals, they're still doing real harm, taking away people's right to self-determination and destroying their culture. It's a surprisingly nuanced bit of writing compared to most of this show, explaining how things work, why the current situation is bad (justifying the actions of the resistance group) and why people would still think that they're doing a good thing.

Actually, I'd say this episode was... kind of good. I'm shocked too.

We spend most of the episode with Brad Watt, the AMERICAN ace pilot, in his attempts to bring down the Ghost, and he's a much more compelling protagonist in one episode than Amou has been in six. He's got complicated feelings about his role (He feels like what the Americans are doing isn't right, but he also only feels alive on the battlefield), a messy family situation (his CO is his adoptive father), and a decent dynamic with his unit, where his best friend doesn't quite see eye-to-eye with him on politics and the new girl doesn't initially trust his management style.

The fight's dynamic, the stakes are clear (life or death against a rapidly adapting combat AI), and the protagonist shows why he's the one in the spotlight by pulling off tactics no-one else can succeed with. We also meet the resistance's backer who, unlike the straightforwardly heroic leads, is obviously sinister, which suggests that there's some depth to the conflict incoming.

It's not all good, of course. The new pilot seems like a dull shrinking violet type, and the recurring humans and AIs from the main cast don't have any more depth than before, but it actually feels like there's some idea as to how things work now. (The country is on-paper independent, but huge chunks of its territory are actually owned by foreign powers, including government offices and most of the military.) It could be the change in director, it could just be a coincidental improvement, and I'm not expecting this level of quality to keep up, but if this becomes the new standard, I'm actually going to be onboard out of something more than perverse stubbornness and mocking the show's mistakes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

Isn't Tomino a fan of Love Live?
i dont think being a fan of love live is a character flaw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posted:

i dont think being a fan of love live is a character flaw?

I wasn't implying it was, I was only asking