Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everyone I know seems to be using Venmo for that functionality.

Again though, very very few iPhones in my social group. There's my sister, brother in law, and one friend (and she's only using one now due to glucose monitor integration, she would be on a pixel otherwise).

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Everyone I know seems to be using Venmo for that functionality.

Again though, very very few iPhones in my social group. There's my sister, brother in law, and one friend (and she's only using one now due to glucose monitor integration, she would be on a pixel otherwise).

I loving despise Peter Thiel, and I hate the social bullshit they try to shove down your throat. I use Venmo as a last resort.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Venmo isn't available outside the USA either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

People leave their Venmo transactions public will never not be funny

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

People leave their Venmo transactions public will never not be funny

That's like the entire point of it isn't it? But i don't get the need to tack on a social aspect to people I pay for picking up a tab somewhere. It's a weird concept.

Reply All did a fascinating episode about it a few years back that pulled at the heart strings a bit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I really wasn't debating the pros and cons of it, just the fact that if I have to pay someone for something it's Venmo, Cash, or Check as the choices I get presented with (in order of preference.) Paypal is usually the alternate online money transfer option (but that doesn't help with the Peter Thiel thing.)

Even the people I know who are on iPhones don't use Apple pay for money transfer.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are there any Services where you can pay someone by activating NFC and touching phones?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Incessant Excess posted:

Are there any Services where you can pay someone by activating NFC and touching phones?

That seems like a security/compliance nightmare. I'd be shocked if anyone had implemented it.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

That seems like a security/compliance nightmare. I'd be shocked if anyone had implemented it.

How's it any different from paying for your Starbucks? Other than the receiving end being mobile I mean.

[e] like I'd of course add in a 'key in the amout you want to transmit' step. Maybe a 'hey are you sure you want to send X to Y' biometric prompt as well?

spincube fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 17, 2021

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

How would that be any worse than current tap payments? Obviously you approve a prompt, like tap something, fingerprint, etc, then you tap the phones together. How would that be a nightmare compared to current tap payments that use NFC?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The PIN pads used for those transactions at most substantially-sized vendors are P2PE. I guess it's not too different from a Square card reader, though.

I've been dealing with this as a public institution for the last few months, which is a substantially different situation, I suppose.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
`Are Timely or I Can't Wake Up still the go-to alarm apps? I'm currently using Sleep as Android but even with it picking random MP3s I'm still getting used to the same tracks every morning. Ideally I'd like something that picks a random point in a song so it's more similar to a clock radio but with my own music - is that a thing?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I think we all abandoned Timely because it hasn't been updated in years and was having issues with Android 10. AMDroid has an abundance of options, but I'm not certain it can do random starting points in music.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

bull3964 posted:

Apple Pay and Google Pay are 1:1 transferrable in my experience so I don't know why one would be better than the other. Contactless payments are contactless payments. Google's app is a bit lovely, but you only have to deal with it when you are setting up the card.

Just anecdotally, Google Pay (and Samsung Pay) work at my regional grocery chain, but Apple Pay does not. Availability in general seems kinda haphazard for either one of them.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

There’s a bunch of places where my discover card isn’t accepted when I try to use Google pay, but if I use another card in Google pay it works fine, and using my actual discover card in the reader works fine.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Can anyone recommend a good music player app? Literally just want to put music files on my phone, then play them via bluetooth in my car, without having to fiddle with it every single track (so like, can play an entire album, that's a plus!)

I trust goons more than google because this is a super simple function that nobody ever loving gets right so I figure I have to ask actual humans.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Poweramp is a popular one. Metro is also good if you prefer open source. May have to get that through FDroid though.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Can anyone recommend a good music player app? Literally just want to put music files on my phone, then play them via bluetooth in my car, without having to fiddle with it every single track (so like, can play an entire album, that's a plus!)

I trust goons more than google because this is a super simple function that nobody ever loving gets right so I figure I have to ask actual humans.

I use VLC partly out of years of habit. It's worked well for me in the car, and can be organized by track, album, or artist, or you can make playlists.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I use VLC partly out of years of habit. It's worked well for me in the car, and can be organized by track, album, or artist, or you can make playlists.

Same. I can't stand the desktop app, but Android VLC is pretty solid. I tried a few music-specific apps first (not the ones mentioned above), but none of them understood track number tags, weirdly enough.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
Anyone have a Facebook app they recommend? I used to use Messenger Lite but the devs have completely disappeared, and now I don't have controls in Messenger.
I installed the F-Droid marketplace from a recommendation like ten pages ago and downloaded MaterialFacebook, which works fine but is ugly as all sin.

All I want is a Facebook wrapper that will give me push notifications for Messenger and won't eat the hell out of my battery.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The Facebook Messenger app doesn't seem to eat my battery, but I only use it to talk to one person.

I used the Facebook Lite app for Facebook itself, but its notifications can be spotty. I don't normally check my messages through it, so I don't know how well it works.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Messenger Lite still works fine for me on a pixel 2. Did Android 12 break that too?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The controls in Messenger disappeared for me a few months ago, so I can't see a send it attach button any more. The controls still work if I touch where they're supposed to be, it just doesn't show am icon. Mainly I just wanted to get to something that will get updated so I can still get notifications about my Facebook chats going forward, and hopefully I can do that without all the permissions that the official apps want.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I make my browser pretend to be a desktop so Facebook will let me use messenger that way. I don't really use FB messenger much though.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What's a decent app for astronomical events, like forecasts for meteor showers, lunar eclipses, etc? Preferably something like a notification the week before or the night of, or something like that. Alternatively, I guess I could just sign up for text/email notifications, if there's a good group out there that doesn't spam with unnecessary bullshit.

Relatedly, looking for a new weather app. Tried using Today Weather for a while after Dark Sky went to Apple, but eh. Not crazy about it. It's fine, though the status bar will sometimes show the wrong temp until I open the app.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't have a suggestion, but do you follow Dr. Becky on YouTube? She does a news segment every few weeks that begins with upcoming astronomical events that someone may wanna check out.

https://youtube.com/c/DrBecky

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Appoda posted:

What's a decent app for astronomical events, like forecasts for meteor showers, lunar eclipses, etc? Preferably something like a notification the week before or the night of, or something like that. Alternatively, I guess I could just sign up for text/email notifications, if there's a good group out there that doesn't spam with unnecessary bullshit.

Relatedly, looking for a new weather app. Tried using Today Weather for a while after Dark Sky went to Apple, but eh. Not crazy about it. It's fine, though the status bar will sometimes show the wrong temp until I open the app.

I'm not sure about astronomy stuff, but for weather I still use Wunderground as my main app even though the performance has declined since IBM got involved, although that seems to impact the website more than the app.

That said, the Moto widget on my phone uses Accuweather and my Ticwatch pulls from Weather.com, so I also have those to a lesser extent.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there an app that will let me record individual dishes from a restaurant's menu I've had? Like a more granular Yelp

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 21, 2021

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
I finally have an android phone that is fast enough to watch more videos on, but I noticed that the youtube app is just so completely inundated with ads. Most of them telling me to invest in something... Is there a good youtube app replacement w/o rooting the phone? Thanks in advance.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

lethial posted:

I finally have an android phone that is fast enough to watch more videos on, but I noticed that the youtube app is just so completely inundated with ads. Most of them telling me to invest in something... Is there a good youtube app replacement w/o rooting the phone? Thanks in advance.

Newpipe on F-Droid (it's not available on the Google store for obvious reasons).

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

lethial posted:

Youtube Vanced is just the regular Youtube app but with ads removed.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you both so much! Is F-droid safe? There has been a lot more news about malicious code being hidden in different apps nowadys that I am weary of installing anything not on the play store (google did a good job making me think that their store is the only secure one...)

I will give both a try, thank you both!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

lethial posted:

I think this was recommended earlier in the thread, although I haven't tried it out myself yet. https://adguard.com/en/adguard-android/overview.html

I believe it's a paid app with a free trial.

I've been considering it but rarely use my phone for anything where I see ads, so it hasn't been a priority for me.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Fdroid is arguably much safer than most apps people put on their phones. I believe they also review many apps for malicious code but can't remember details.

I've been using almost all Fdroid apps rather than Playstore ones. I can't recommended it enough.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

lethial posted:

You could use a VPN to pay for YouTube premium. It’s like $1 a month in Argentina. You only need the VPN on for the signup process.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

cage-free egghead posted:

Fdroid is arguably much safer than most apps people put on their phones. I believe they also review many apps for malicious code but can't remember details.

I've been using almost all Fdroid apps rather than Playstore ones. I can't recommended it enough.

Yeah, everything up there is open source and it doesn't support paid apps. App descriptions have a "things you might not like" section that include such crimes as "calls out to a nonfree service."

At the very least, I'd have no hesitation about installing newpipe. It is the superior way to tube.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you all!! TBH, I wasn't even that much against ads, I mean they help to pay the bills for content creators, but the ads that "algorithm" like to feed to me seem to be from whoever that has the most money to spend and most to gain (as opposed to say things that benefit smaller businesses or organizations that are promoting common good); and given all that has gone on in the past couple of years, I am ashamed to say that some of them actively causes me to become anxious with feeling of despair :ohdear:. So now ad blocking is a bigger deal for me... (Or maybe I should just train myself by accepting all ads so that I am desensitized to them?...)

Thanks so much again to everyone! I have lots of great options to try!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

lethial posted:

Thank you all!! TBH, I wasn't even that much against ads, I mean they help to pay the bills for content creators, but the ads that "algorithm" like to feed to me seem to be from whoever that has the most money to spend and most to gain (as opposed to say things that benefit smaller businesses or organizations that are promoting common good); and given all that has gone on in the past couple of years, I am ashamed to say that some of them actively causes me to become anxious with feeling of despair :ohdear:. So now ad blocking is a bigger deal for me... (Or maybe I should just train myself by accepting all ads so that I am desensitized to them?...)

Thanks so much again to everyone! I have lots of great options to try!

I feel you, this last year has been a major adventure for me to try to find alternatives to big apps and companies and keep control of my privacy in better ways. There is a thread in IYG that is a good place to learn or post about if that's your jam.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Oh I missed that thread, thank you! I do have bunch of "feelings" on that topic, but never gotten the chance to put them down in writing. Maybe I should give this :justpost: thing a try!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I switched to NewPipe with SponsorBlock a couple of months ago and it's been pretty good. Very happy not to have to watch "this video is sponsored by" segments anymore.

It's not on F-Droid, but it'll offer to update when there is one on its own.