Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
lmao at him saying they could have taken the gun and shot him with it. I can’t recall that ever happening with people who disarmed shooters. It feels like a projection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

The absurd part for me is that, if someone points a gun at me, my first reaction is going to be to try to grab it so it's not pointing at me anymore - it just seems absurd that pointing a gun, while illegal, isn't particularly punished - but reacting to that incorrectly is a death sentence.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

DesertIslandHermit posted:

lmao at him saying they could have taken the gun and shot him with it. I can’t recall that ever happening with people who disarmed shooters. It feels like a projection.

Yeah speaking about projection, Rittenhouse claimed when he was being cross-examined that the danger he was preventing by shooting the first victim was that he was afraid that the dude would take his gun and kill other people with it
you know.. what Rittenhouse ended up doing

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

zegermans posted:

The absurd part for me is that, if someone points a gun at me, my first reaction is going to be to try to grab it so it's not pointing at me anymore - it just seems absurd that pointing a gun, while illegal, isn't particularly punished - but reacting to that incorrectly is a death sentence.

Well it depends if you are a god-fearing American that deserves justice or a commie that deserves death

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/mtarm/status/1460732199712526343?t=cZjByr93i3uiZaylhgTwOQ&s=19

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
yeah turns out the idea that the NRA & GOP are constantly advocating for of using a killing machine for "self defense" makes no loving sense when applied to real situations & is now leading to a world where it's legal to kill someone so long as you have a murder weapon in plain sight

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
We already got the bad apple white supremacist so I don't know why Rittenhouse would ever face consequences.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Lastgirl posted:

when kyle rittenhouse is not found guilty, the mods must change the thread title to Kyle Acquittenhouse thank you good bye

the house always wins

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cranappleberry posted:

the jurors for the Zimmerman case were also told by the ADA they had to "prove a negative" in order to convict. I think at least one later came out to say that Zimmerman might not have had a claim to self-defense based on the evidence but at the time every part of the system (prosecutors, judge and etc) were telling them they couldn't convict.
Yeah really drives home that laws basically don't exist and the appearance of law relies on railroading people who lack the resources to fight. If you're rich you can usually pay someone who is the judge's golf buddy enough money to find a loophole like Cosby, and if you're one of these vigilantes out gunning down the people cops wish they could the whole system works together to manufacture an acquittal.

If you're poor they hold you in Rikers without bail for years to make you break down and plead guilty and if you make it to trial you get 30 minutes with an overworked public defender who has 12 other cases that day, they march you into court in a prison jumpsuit and chains and the jury is instructed to imagine you mugging their grandma behind the courthouse after the trial.

Other defendants get to wear a suit and tie, sit in the judge's lap during proceedings, have all the evidence of their guilt suppressed because evidence of guilt is prejudicial, they get to pick their own jury, and the prosecutor tells the jury something like "yes you've seen that my client uh I mean the wrongfully accused shot all those people but as the DA I must inform you that under our state's 'He Who Smelt It Dealt It' Law the real murderer is whoever called it murder first and you can not prove that he was yelling 'yes I am murdering right now' as he pulled the trigger so legally you must acquit and find all the bystanders guilty on all counts"

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

JAMOOOL posted:

yeah turns out the idea that the NRA & GOP are constantly advocating for of using a killing machine for "self defense" makes no loving sense when applied to real situations & is now leading to a world where it's legal to kill someone so long as you have a murder weapon in plain sight

Combined with a country that is constantly rocked by mass shootings, it’s just a shitpot of disaster when some chud shoots a person and the people nearby think another one is happening and try to either run or take measures to save other people.

Complete clusterfuck.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah really drives home that laws basically don't exist and the appearance of law relies on railroading people who lack the resources to fight. If you're rich you can usually pay someone who is the judge's golf buddy enough money to find a loophole like Cosby, and if you're one of these vigilantes out gunning down the people cops wish they could the whole system works together to manufacture an acquittal.

If you're poor they hold you in Rikers without bail for years to make you break down and plead guilty and if you make it to trial you get 30 minutes with an overworked public defender who has 12 other cases that day, they march you into court in a prison jumpsuit and chains and the jury is instructed to imagine you mugging their grandma behind the courthouse after the trial.

Other defendants get to wear a suit and tie, sit in the judge's lap during proceedings, have all the evidence of their guilt suppressed because evidence of guilt is prejudicial, they get to pick their own jury, and the prosecutor tells the jury something like "yes you've seen that my client uh I mean the wrongfully accused shot all those people but as the DA I must inform you that under our state's 'He Who Smelt It Dealt It' Law the real murderer is whoever called it murder first and you can not prove that he was yelling 'yes I am murdering right now' as he pulled the trigger so legally you must acquit and find all the bystanders guilty on all counts"

meanwhile, a guy on the left shoots someone in self defense and there's a presidentially-sanctioned hit put out on him inside of the week

i occasionally wonder how the Rule of Law libs reconcile this kind of thing with their worldview, and then I remember that they consider anyone they kill acceptable losses at best, and unpersons at worst

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This feels like it could be good sign it's taking this long but good things don't happen anymore so idk

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If the boy is proud, murder must be allowed

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

meanwhile, a guy on the left shoots someone in self defense and there's a presidentially-sanctioned hit put out on him inside of the week

i occasionally wonder how the Rule of Law libs reconcile this kind of thing with their worldview, and then I remember that they consider anyone they kill acceptable losses at best, and unpersons at worst

Rule of Law libs usually don't consider the possibility of bad institutions, only individual bad actors. So they'll lament how this case happened to draw a bad judge, or the jurors happened to be sympathetic to the murderer, or the prosecutor happened to be incompetent, or the defence lawyers happened to be good at their jobs, rather than point at the entire rotten system and say "the whole thing needs to go"

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

shyduck posted:

This feels like it could be good sign it's taking this long but good things don't happen anymore so idk

at the very least its making that little poo poo nervous which i'll take any victory big or small.

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

zegermans posted:

Yeah which is why you'll never be trained to do that, the way you win a gun fight is either to not get into a gunfight (run) or shoot them first.

Trying to grab the gun will never work and result in you being killed. If you don't have a gun and can't run you're better off kicking the shooter in the nuts and then running. The world isn't king Fu hustle, if anyone tries to teach you to disarm an opponent that's like the ultimate red flag that they're a grifter.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

He’s gonna get a full ride to Liberty and then become a congressman.

he's gonna be autographing tits at the next CPAC, very very presidential

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

At least we got Chauvin taken away. Worth it for Joker Carlson alone

gregday
May 23, 2003

shyduck posted:

typically longer deliberations mean not guilty

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Putting my last minute bet: He just gets one reckless endangerment charge that gets reduced to a few months so Kyle can both be a hero and a martyr to how prison traumatized him

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CaptainACAB posted:

Yeah which is why you'll never be trained to do that, the way you win a gun fight is either to not get into a gunfight (run) or shoot them first.

Trying to grab the gun will never work and result in you being killed. If you don't have a gun and can't run you're better off kicking the shooter in the nuts and then running. The world isn't king Fu hustle, if anyone tries to teach you to disarm an opponent that's like the ultimate red flag that they're a grifter.

right and none of these people are trained so Grosskreutz has to decide in a matter of seconds whether he should A) kill him, B) pray that he won't get shot, or C) try to disarm him, and the defense is essentially arguing "you should've killed him when you had the chance"

oglethorpe2020
May 23, 2020

tux liberation front

gregday posted:

typically longer deliberations mean not guilty

it took 2 days for chauvin to be found guilty of everything

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Torpor posted:

they didn’t print off the 36 pages of instructions that contain the definitions and elements of the offenses for the jury?

US jury trials are a joke

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea deliberation length is pure voodoo, there's tons of things that could be holding it up that benefit either side

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

to be clear, US bench trials are also a joke

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's Taco Night

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Defense seems to be it's okay for Kyle to point his gun at anyone (he's just trying to help people) but if any son of a bitch points back they're toast. If you point you gun first you're in charge, and at that precise moment if you experienced fear as your defense attorney will strongly encourage you to recall, you can lay waste

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

parthenocarpy posted:

Defense seems to be it's okay for Kyle to point his gun at anyone (he's just trying to help people) but if any son of a bitch points back they're toast. If you point you gun first you're in charge, and at that precise moment if you experienced fear as your defense attorney will strongly encourage you to recall, you can lay waste

If you’re white, male and right, though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

parthenocarpy posted:

If fear there be, the shooter goes free

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Jury is just trying to figure out how much compensation to give Rittenhouse for this violation of rights

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

JAMOOOL posted:

right and none of these people are trained so Grosskreutz has to decide in a matter of seconds whether he should A) kill him, B) pray that he won't get shot, or C) try to disarm him, and the defense is essentially arguing "you should've killed him when you had the chance"
Or Grosskreutz could have just stayed the gently caress away from the dumbass with the gun.

Edit: also - has it been established that Rittenhouse pointed his gun at the first dude before he tried to grab the gun away? I haven't seen that.

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

when kyle rittenhouse is not found guilty, the mods must change the thread title to Kyle Acquittenhouse thank you good bye

:hai:

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
are we going to have to do another day of this poo poo?

lame

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Hello hope, my old friend,
I am ready, to be hurt again

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

They are still eating the pizza

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Good Citizen posted:

are we going to have to do another day of this poo poo?

lame

probably, even if they do have a result now I'd bet the judge waits till tomorrow for it to avoid night protests instantly breaking out, didn't they try that with Chauvin?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Trapick posted:

Or Grosskreutz could have just stayed the gently caress away from the dumbass with the gun.

Edit: also - has it been established that Rittenhouse pointed his gun at the first dude before he tried to grab the gun away? I haven't seen that.

In the first video Rittenhouse is running, raises gun and points, then turns his back and slows down to a walk and continues to move the same direction. A second later he looks over his shoulder, spins and fires

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Trapick posted:

rosenbaum? absolutely Kyle testified he pointed the gun at rosenbaum to “stop the attack” or threat or whatever wording he used

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i occasionally wonder how the Rule of Law libs reconcile this kind of thing with their worldview,

That was done by Bad Apples like Donald J Trump who disrespected rules and norms, and it just goes to show how we must respect the rules even harder so it won't happen again. Thus we must only pass one bill a year and it must be bipartisan and no legislative cutting in line.

Well except for unimportant rules like privacy and due process and international law because that namby pamby do-gooder nonsense gets in the way of catching and killing terrorists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

VitalSigns posted:

That was done by Bad Apples like Donald J Trump who disrespected rules and norms, and it just goes to show how we must respect the rules even harder so it won't happen again. Thus we must only pass one bill a year and it must be bipartisan and no legislative cutting in line.

Well except for unimportant rules like privacy and due process and international law because that namby pamby do-gooder nonsense gets in the way of catching and killing terrorists

don't forget tax cuts to the rich and insane unasked-for bonuses to the pentagon, that also is just a given, no debate needed