Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Actual funeral proceedings would have consumed literal years at Willis Pacing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Mike being dead is a little ambiguous, almost as if Willis has an imaginary standards and practices he has to write around, but everyone is sure treating it like he's dead. Possibly it's left open for Mike to kramer in at some moment way later on. Willis can never really settle on a tone, so I guess it makes sense for him to leave his options open for his later moods.

There was also a weird thing where Sarah's cheery upbeat sister showed up, and she has some kind of complex about trying to prove that she's an adult by eschewing childish things like religion. And that culminated in a weird thing where she propositioned Joe only to back down at the last minute either because she wasn't actually horny and didn't believe what she was saying earlier or because Joe's penis is inherently and uniquely demeaning to women and Willis is rediscovering a weird new angle to be a similar sort of prude to what he was in college.

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Danny and Sal are together now and he claims they have oral sex while rappelling off buildings.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SlothfulCobra posted:

There was also a weird thing where Sarah's cheery upbeat sister showed up, and she has some kind of complex about trying to prove that she's an adult by eschewing childish things like religion. And that culminated in a weird thing where she propositioned Joe only to back down at the last minute either because she wasn't actually horny and didn't believe what she was saying earlier or because Joe's penis is inherently and uniquely demeaning to women and Willis is rediscovering a weird new angle to be a similar sort of prude to what he was in college.

it was because she realized despite being rebellious she still wanted her first time to mean something + the comic's trying to show joe as trying to be less of a fuckup and respecting that she's saying no, not either of those weird conclusions you came to

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DoctorWhat posted:

Actual funeral proceedings would have consumed literal years at Willis Pacing.

It can't be as bad as The Whiteboard, can it? TWB had a storyline which covered a weekend and had three Memorial Day strips.

(Still, Doc has a sense of humour about his pacing. That story was followed by a week of strips where the holiday decorations in the store changed five times in the course of a single three minute conversation - startling the hell out of one character every time she turned around and noticed.)

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
DOA has run daily since 2010. It is currently the second semester of (almost) everyone's Freshman year.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Inkspot posted:

DOA has run daily since 2010. It is currently the second semester of (almost) everyone's Freshman year.

hasn't multiple months of that year happened in off camera timeskips at this point?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Yes. Which means it's actually moving at about half of its perceived rate.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

What webcomic has the highest ratio of updates to in-universe time past?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Neito posted:

megatokyo

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'd say that's the highest ratio of Real world to in universe time, but would it be updates to in-universe time do you think?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Neito posted:

I'd say that's the highest ratio of Real world to in universe time, but would it be updates to in-universe time do you think?
It actually has quite a lot of pages at this point (1598, 1126 in the main chapters), and it very conveniently has a timeline:

megatokyo FAQ posted:

Piro and Largo have been in Japan for about two months. Chapter 0 spanned fifty-two days and each chapter after that through Chapter 9 is one successive day. Chapter 10 picks up again nine days later. Chapters 11 and 12 are each one subsequent day after.
It's on chapter 13, but I don't think it's progressed much beyond that. Chapter 0 (129 pages) was 2.5 pages per day, chapters 1 through 9 are 38, 70, 88, 97, 105, 86, and 118 pages (all per day). Chapter 10 is 110 pages; chapters 11 and 12 are 125 and 147 pages; chapter 13 is currently at 13.

Overall that's ~19 updates per day. Cut out chapter 0 and it's ~47 updates per day (if you include the timeskip before chapter 10).

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Nov 17, 2021

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

Neito posted:

I recall EGS having a birthday party that lasted something like a year and a half of updates; MWF schedule if I recall correctly, so roughly ~230 updates? Which I remember mostly because the next update was the author apologizing and stating they were throwing out their scripts and putting the comic on indefinite hiatus until they had relearned the concept of "pacing" and were confident it would never happen again.

I also recall thinking at the time "if only Piro could be so self-aware" (and this was like 10+ years ago?) so I honestly might still give to megatokyo on the average.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Mike being dead is a little ambiguous, almost as if Willis has an imaginary standards and practices he has to write around, but everyone is sure treating it like he's dead. Possibly it's left open for Mike to kramer in at some moment way later on. Willis can never really settle on a tone, so I guess it makes sense for him to leave his options open for his later moods.

It is Mike. Maybe they had a funeral and nobody came, because again Mike.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Galvanik posted:

Danny and Sal are together now and he claims they have oral sex while rappelling off buildings.

Pretty sure that was a reference to the time he spent with Amber.

Joyce has become one of those atheists who clearly feels stupid for all the stupid stuff she once sincerely believed and is in a fight with Becky because she said out loud (and was overhead saying) stuff about "stupid religious believers" that was very clearly her talking about her past self, and she refuses to apologize for it because she truly believes she was an idiot for ever buying into it like she did. Lots of transparent externalization of guilt over getting fooled. No one else in the cast really gets any of that at all, but she bonded with Sarah's sister because they are both on a similar road, and they are both pretending to be much further along their respective paths and far more worldly than they actually are.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like I have to do the math because I'm the one in the thread who really likes the webcomic-

Girl Genius spent 4 years inside the castle, and then one and a half more in the battle for Mechanicsburg, over the course of 5 volumes. But it's not really certain how much in-world time that was supposed to be over. There's at least more than one day/night cycle outside the castle, and the characters inside the castle went for multiple rounds of getting drained to their last and having to recuperate at some point. I think in the story it feels like at least a week inside the castle, and then the battle had to last at least 2 to 3 days, since it got dark and light again. Then at the end of the whole series of events, they literally jump through time by 2 years, giving most of the other characters time of their own to mature a little.

Another point of contention is when they went to Paris and Agatha was told she had 3 days to stay in the city and that whole arc lasted for 2 years before she left. Of course, a whole lot happens in that amount of time, there's lots of cuts to scenes in distant locations, there might've been a break to a short story outside the main timeline, and days last longer when you use the full 24 hours.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
discounting all the weird time poo poo and flashbacks, the first 4000 pages of homestuck took place over like 30 hours (only 600 or so individual updates though)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Does Penny Arcade's sense of humor staying in 2006 for fifteen years count?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Neito posted:

TWB has had 3347 updates since it began in June 2002, and I don't think that one full calendar year has passed yet in-universe. Most of the passage of time has been since the end of The Longest Day, which began in April 2014 and finished 452 updates later in November 2016.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Subject warning: parental mortality

I've been really pleasantly surprised by how real Scott Kurtz has been getting with his Mort strips. I mostly checked my PvP bookmark out of inertia, but as someone who's getting to the age where this subject it's relatable, it's been hitting pretty well for me.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

girl dick energy posted:

Does Penny Arcade's sense of humor staying in 2006 for fifteen years count?

Eh, I don't mind Penny Arcade. Part of that may be the halo effect from PAX, but it's worth a check every few days.

Osmosisch posted:

Subject warning: parental mortality

I've been really pleasantly surprised by how real Scott Kurtz has been getting with his Mort strips. I mostly checked my PvP bookmark out of inertia, but as someone who's getting to the age where this subject it's relatable, it's been hitting pretty well for me.

I feel like Scott's at his best when either A) he's tapping deep into a personal emotional well or B) when he's being pushed outside his safe boundries, like the Blamations he did with Straub. When he's allowed to play in his safe little pen with his Jade and Brent dolls, he tends to stay safer than he should, humor-wise.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Kind of obscure, but, Freefall, a gag-a-day scifi webcomic, took 1998 to 2016, some 2800 comics, to tell the events of a few weeks.

The author even poked fun at himself about it.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
https://twitter.com/MarryMeMovie/status/1461325861752242177

This is based on a webcomic, so it's technically on-topic.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Inkspot posted:

The 80 year bachelor degree program.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Mister Beeg posted:

https://twitter.com/MarryMeMovie/status/1461325861752242177

This is based on a webcomic, so it's technically on-topic.

Dang. I haven't thought about that comic in years. It was cute enough, but definitely felt like a romcom movie script that hadn't succeeded in getting anywhere.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

disposablewords posted:

Dang. I haven't thought about that comic in years. It was cute enough, but definitely felt like a romcom movie script that hadn't succeeded in getting anywhere.

the comic was literally written as a romcom pitch, the reason hadn't succeeded in getting anywhere because they didn't start seriously shopping it around until it was mostly online (IIRC part of the pitch strategy was explicitly to use the comic to build online engagement to help sell the concept.) all things considered, it seems to have worked pretty well for what it was intended to do.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I remember Marry Me from when I was a kid and felt like I was having a stroke when the movie announcement came out

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dangerous Person posted:

I remember Marry Me from when I was a kid and felt like I was having a stroke when the movie announcement came out

Yeah, I feel like I started reading it thanks to a banner on Megatokyo or something. Like all webcomics it had an annoying 'wacky' character but at least it didn't have a sarcastic talking animal/creature/etc.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

pupkin movie

pupkin movie

PUPKIN MOVIE

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
https://twitter.com/inputmag/status/1462859730083266561

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

That magazine writer's style does not jive with me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What a weird world we live in, where the Marry Me movie gets made, but the Nimona one withered on the vine.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

girl dick energy posted:

What a weird world we live in, where the Marry Me movie gets made, but the Nimona one withered on the vine.
Corporate homophobia is a hell of a drug.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

girl dick energy posted:

It was like already fully in production, but Fox got bought by Disney and there's no way in hell they ever release an animated film about gay men. Maybe one that features some in the far background, but as the main characters??? Forget it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It was visible that she was having a tough go of it ten years ago, but it sounds like she's still struggling a lot. Good to know she's still making art and keeping on, though. There are hopeful notes in the article that are not recognisable from the raw pain of the Basic Income Please stuff from back then.

The 2011 thing felt like someone who was deeply wounded and scared exploding from an overdose of being perceived. The anti-capitalist stuff where she objected to the idea of being paid for her work (and thereby valued based on cultural productivity, and how harrowing a feeling that was for her) did feel grounded in politics, but it also felt expanded and dramatised for the purpose of self-sabotage.

Despite that it sounds like she's still drawn to the internet - but wants to exist on it in small, less remarkable ways, for groups of people who won't overwhelm her, making things that aren't permanent. Makes sense, and to a degree, I can relate.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

It was like already fully in production, but Fox got bought by Disney and there's no way in hell they ever release an animated film about gay men. Maybe one that features some in the far background, but as the main characters??? Forget it.

"We just dont think you're First Gay Disney Character material sorry, you know how it is!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm kind of baffled that The Owl House lived as long as it did. In a good way, but still.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I was a little surprised to see that Bobby Crosby's romcom movie is getting made instead of Last Blood which he seemed to be making to sell as a movie but somehow didn't get turned into one during the vampire/zombie craze.
http://lastblood.keenspot.com/

I haven't looked at it in like 15 years before today but I remember a lot of over the top stuff like crashing a plane into a bunch of zombies or feral vampires or something.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
Eagerly awaiting the Netflix live action remake of Pupkin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

girl dick energy posted:

I'm kind of baffled that The Owl House lived as long as it did. In a good way, but still.

Wait was it cancelled? I thought they were just on break for the other half of season 2.