Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Isn't borderlands completely plagiarized from something else? I think I read that either here or like polygon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The talk about games influencing the industry and cod made me think about how cod4 really started the ball rolling on everything I hate about multiplayer games now.

It was an absolutely awesome game and I played so much of it. They really nailed the "unlock things and see your rank go up for dopamine" thing for mainstream multiplayer games in a way that no one else had. And now all modern games have battle passes and all XP and poo poo no matter if it even makes sense like it did in cod4.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Tales from the Borderlands. Take Borderlands, take out the first person shooting and skill trees (the good bit) and ramp up the obnoxious dialogue and humour (the really bad bits) and folk love it. mental.

Yeah that's the one I played, obnoxious is the perfect term.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Yeah that's the one I played, obnoxious is the perfect term.

Yeah the standard Borderland games have the same irritating humour but at least there are guns that shoot exploding rockets and you can level up and get loot

Divorced from those gameplay elements the Borderlands setting is tedious and I say that as someone who enjoyed the games. Most people on here won't hesitate to ravage Borderlands 2's good name

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Treasured rare gaming experience "level up and get loot". So hard to find these days.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The best borderlands game is Poker Night 2

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
hot take Mischief Makers > Borderlands

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

kntfkr posted:

Oh easily and obviously, beacuse Mischief Makers is actually a good game.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
shake shake

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kntfkr posted:

You could substitute any game for Borderlands in that equation and it still be true.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Meme Poker Party posted:

Treasured rare gaming experience "level up and get loot". So hard to find these days.

randomized loot is so goddamn stupid. It’s to encourage you to play more, because every opportunity for loot is another pull on a slot machine. That’s the explicit logic behind games adding it, they openly talk about it.

Leveling up is at least a way to have steady growth in capabilities in-game, and also (unless the game scales) allow you to determine your own acceptable difficulty level. If things are too hard, level up and grind or get good at the game. It also can be abused like a carrot on a stick, such that you think you’ll have fun when you level up so you’ll play the game more to get there. That’s bad game design.

Old JRPGs like Final Fantasy are usually beatable without a single second of grinding, and it’s almost a solved equation how to beat each game without leveling up and it’s rarely apparent how to do it. I’d say that’s good game design, but who knows if it’s intentional.

Dark Souls is good because you can beat it at level 1 without leveling up or getting any items ever

jokes fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I think I posted this before but the only fun way to play borderlands 2 is max anarchy mechromancer

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Rpg guns and healthbars are terrible together. Like in Division you put like, two clips into one dude before he dies while his health bar just chips away slowly. It feels like rear end.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Space Kablooey posted:

I think I posted this before but the only fun way to play borderlands 2 is max anarchy mechromancer

Truth, even more fun if you give yourself infinite ammo and just run through the level with the trigger held down.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

not if you don't wanna mangle latin into english
https://www.google.com/search?q=deus+latin+pronounciation

I speak Latin, homie. It's DAY-us. That is, DAY-əs.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

cross platform games don't seem to work very well, it's kind of a bad idea

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mescal posted:

That's impressive but you're still pronouncing it wrong: https://www.pronounceitright.com/pronunciation/deus-ex-machina-15230

quote:

The correct pronunciation of deus ex machina in Latin is deh-oos ex mahk-ee-nah. You will note that the vowels are much softer in Latin than they are when deus ex maxchina is pronounced by English speakers. To wit, deus is often pronounced as day-us or machina is pronounced as mah-kin-uh. However, this is imprecise. You should look to pronounce the vowels in a softer way to achieve an impressive pronunciation of deus ex machina. Therefore, the "e"s are pronounced with an "eh" sound, the "a"s with an "ah" sound, the "u" with an "oo" sound and the "i" as an "ee" sound.
I posted that precisely because so many of you dirty anglos get it wrong. :argh:

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

He is pronouncing it right in the audio clip, he's just writing it wrong.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

if you tell people to say 'deh-oos', zero people will pronounce it like he does there.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I save all my skill points until i need them, and sometimes I just dont.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

I actually enjoyed Tales from the Borderlands more than what I played of Borderlands 2, but in retrospect it might be because the soundtrack slaps. Also it was interesting seeing the setting from the perspective of 'normal' people (or at least the type of 'normal' possible within the setting)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I can't fuckin stand cage the elephant, I forgot they were in Borderlands

god drat that band sucks

aceface
Dec 27, 2017

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

hawowanlawow posted:

god drat that band sucks

:hmmyes:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I always get cage the elephant, foster the people and Portugal the man mixed up cuz they all have dumb band names with the in the middle

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mescal posted:

You've been taught latin pronunciation wrong, as a joke.

jokes posted:

Old JRPGs like Final Fantasy are usually beatable without a single second of grinding, and it’s almost a solved equation how to beat each game without leveling up and it’s rarely apparent how to do it. I’d say that’s good game design, but who knows if it’s intentional.

It has to be by accident because when you look around the boss/skill design they're all over the place and sort of terrible but yeah it's sort of impressive how you can always beat them at level 1 no-item no-that no-that other thing no-anything.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Nov 17, 2021

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

The only version of Latin anybody should learn is ecclesiastical, because that is at least used in the real world sometimes

Plus it sounds nicer

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Elentor posted:

You've been taught latin pronunciation wrong, as a joke.

The other poster linked to a clip where somebody is pronouncing it right. It's day-us, but with a Latin accent. You could also say it's deh-oos, but with a Latin accent. I GUESS. But that's a misleading way to write it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

The only version of Latin anybody should learn is ecclesiastical, because that is at least used in the real world sometimes

Plus it sounds nicer

finally, a real unpopular opinion

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
anyone who tries to represent pronunciation in a dialect-agnostic way with normal english letters is fighting a losing battle

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Rpg guns and healthbars are terrible together. Like in Division you put like, two clips into one dude before he dies while his health bar just chips away slowly. It feels like rear end.

Afuckingmen. Its why I can't play looter shooters. If I put 100 rounds into a guy's head he should drop, not keep on coming at me. Its even worse when you see the numbers fly off of them as you hit them so it SEEMS like you're doing damage as the health bar barely moves.

Meanwhile my character drops after getting shot 10 times.

Its even worse when you're leveled up and dropping underleveled enemies fast with the same type of gun just a better rarity. Its just awful.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Mescal posted:

The other poster linked to a clip where somebody is pronouncing it right. It's day-us, but with a Latin accent. You could also say it's deh-oos, but with a Latin accent. I GUESS. But that's a misleading way to write it.

Do you pronounce day without the ɪ sound (/deɪ/) ?

(because there's no ɪ sound in deus)

Vic fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 17, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stop arguing about the pronunciation of the dead language no-one speaks

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Deus krumpin’ us up bad, boss!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Deum!
| \

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EducatedCalmEstuarinecrocodile-mobile.mp4

Vic fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 17, 2021

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Actual complaint about Dark Souls 3 art design: I didn't like how a lot of areas went overboard with visually noisy prop spam. It's not every area and it gets less severe as you go through the game, but I remember finding the Undead Settlement for example to be exhausting to look at.

kntfkr posted:

Isn't borderlands completely plagiarized from something else? I think I read that either here or like polygon.

Borderlands 1's whole aesthetic yeah. Ripped off from an artist's concept demo. I think they deliberately pushed the later games into a more aggressively colorful and exaggerated aesthetic to try and get away from it but that first game is drat near 1:1 to it. IIRC, they were literally negotiating with the artist for it, then that fell through and they just went ahead and did it anyway.

Good ole greasy Randy.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i'm still kinda flabbergasted at the idea that it's impossible to beat soulsborne bosses blind on the first try because i'm like, really bad at the series and i can't imagine ever dying to gaping dragon or the deacon choir or anything like that

i mean i beat capra demon blind the first time and apparently some people are just really Anakin-levels of bad at using terrain in a fight

i've never been able to beat pontiff sulyvahn without summoning though, idk why that guy just cuts me to loving ribbons every attempt

John Murdoch posted:

Actual complaint about Dark Souls 3 art design: I didn't like how a lot of areas went overboard with visually noisy prop spam. It's not every area and it gets less severe as you go through the game, but I remember finding the Undead Settlement for example to be exhausting to look at.

have you played Bloodborne? because Bloodborne is my favorite by far but half of the levels seem like they just copy/pasted barrels, coffins, and baby carriages along every available inch of wall space

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i died to the deacon choir because i didn't understand the gimmick and just kept slaying the infiniitely spawning dudes while they slowly chipped away at me

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Rockman Reserve posted:

i'm still kinda flabbergasted at the idea that it's impossible to beat soulsborne bosses blind on the first try because i'm like, really bad at the series and i can't imagine ever dying to gaping dragon or the deacon choir or anything like that

i mean i beat capra demon blind the first time and apparently some people are just really Anakin-levels of bad at using terrain in a fight

i've never been able to beat pontiff sulyvahn without summoning though, idk why that guy just cuts me to loving ribbons every attempt

Personally I'm still puzzled about the claim that every boss has some super secret gotcha move that insta-kills you with no tell. Especially because I'm not sure how you'd meaningfully differentiate those from...literally any attack a boss can do that you don't know about yet.

Rockman Reserve posted:

have you played Bloodborne? because Bloodborne is my favorite by far but half of the levels seem like they just copy/pasted barrels, coffins, and baby carriages along every available inch of wall space

I haven't played it, but yeah it's very much a Bloodborne thing. Though I guess I should say it extends beyond just props and into the overall art design to varying degrees.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 17, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
If you don't use a shield in DS1/2 then it's really hard to fight a boss on the first time because you don't know how fast or slow all its attacks are and mistiming your dodges will get you hosed up real fast. A lot of bosses have "fake-out" moves where they start a backswing and then delay the hit a bit so it will hit you right when you come out of your roll to make you eat poo poo. Blocking with a shield makes this way easier since it's not timing dependent.

In DS3 you just have a bajillion stamina and can keep rolling forever though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

If you think you're too good for shields on your first playthrough of DS1 or 2 you deserve what you get!