Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember the book saying that other people make stillsuits, but those are mostly shoddy crap and you'd be a fool to rely on them in the desert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A full environment suit doesn't necessarily imply water recycling. It might just have a bladder you empty out or crappy filters that mean it still tastes like pee when you drink it down again.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

Lynch dune, with its point of 'what if charismatic leaders are loving awesome actually', is a necessary part of the dialectic
Yes, because nobody has ever done that in the history of cinema before or since.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

it would have been a very clever ending if they had simply made it clear that water destroys the worms. in that sense, paul chose to end galactic civilization as it was known, which is more interesting.
I'm not sure why you keep responding to me with non-sequitors, but you do you friend.

EDIT: I think I see what you're saying - but it doesn't work because saying "it would've been very clever if <thing that didn't happen> happened" doesn't work - and it's not as if it was some last-minute post-production re-shoot which could hypothetically be blamed on the De Laurentiis'.
It was an entire scene with all of the major cast as well as a whole bunch of extras, everyone in what ended up as wet still-suits and with a whole "everybody clapped" feeling to it.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 17, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

EDIT: I think I see what you're saying - but it doesn't work because saying "it would've been very clever if <thing that didn't happen> happened" doesn't work - and it's not as if it was some last-minute post-production re-shoot which could hypothetically be blamed on the De Laurentiis'.
It was an entire scene with all of the major cast as well as a whole bunch of extras, everyone in what ended up as wet still-suits and with a whole "everybody clapped" feeling to it.

i'm saying they could have taken the concept of water being poisonous to worms, put it in the lynch movie with like one line of dialog, and it would have been a more interesting ending.

i honestly don't understand what you're talking about.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

The spirit of the book which somehow involves making a character into a magic space wizard that can make it rain on a planet that has almost no free water, subverting the entire point of the actual book which is about how even the best intentions of powerful and charismatic people will be twisted out of their control?

Lynch isn’t referring to the plot here at all.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Well, the pedo aspect is fine if they want to go that route, I meant more that in the books revolving around Paul everything is pretty heteronormative except for the Harkonnens and I wouldn't mind that being changed, even if it's just background characters. We've already had Liet-Kynes reinterpreted as a woman, what would be wrong with some LGB Fremen couples?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
When reading the books, it was incredibly weird to me that gay sex is beyond the pale in the decadent space empire.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

When reading the books, it was incredibly weird to me that gay sex is beyond the pale in the decadent space empire.
If you wanna know more, look into Frank Herbert and his not-failson.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alchenar posted:

The thing that occurred to me is that it is a bit unclear why Fremen stillsuits are a big deal when the Harkonnen and Sardaukar are clearly wearing full environment suit-armour.

It is explained in the book that you can get all kinds of stillsuits, but the Fremen suits are by far the best and probably the only really effective ones

E:F;B

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

I'm not sure why you keep responding to me with non-sequitors, but you do you friend.

also, at no point did I respond to you with a non-sequitur. the first time, you posted that it was somehow revisionist of David Lynch to suggest that he didn't have final cut of the movie, which is just plain dumb and wrong and I was more polite about it than I could have been.

the second time, you posted that the first three books were "supposed to be" a single volume, which is not quite what frank herbert said so i thought i'd elucidate a little.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
I went and saw this in theaters last night, and just ordered the book because the movie was so good. I disagree hard with the person upthread who compared the battle scenes to Marvel movies. The first chunk of the movie was so good at setting up House Atreides. It was compressed, but they did a really good job of making it seem like a glimpse of a detailed and long-lasting culture. By the time the bombing comes, I was actually sad to watch that culture die. I’ve never felt that about any of the rotating collection of color-coded extras that occupy the Marvel universe. The fall of the city wasn’t a punch-up so much as it was an ethnic cleansing.

I was a little confused by that section though, because Duke Dreamy Dreamsicle seemed to be aware an attack was coming (“I thought we’d have more time”) but then does nothing to prevent his forces from getting chumped in 5 minutes.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 17, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It is explained in the book that you can get all kinds of stillsuits, but the Fremen suits are by far the best and probably the only really effective ones

Oh I know in the book it's different, it's just in the film the Sardaukar suits are clearly all-encompassing whereas the Fremen suits are losing you moisture through all the face.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Alchenar posted:

Oh I know in the book it's different, it's just in the film the Sardaukar suits are clearly all-encompassing whereas the Fremen suits are losing you moisture through all the face.

I guess in totality it's not clear to me that the Sardaukar of the film are actually using stillsuits, as opposed to just simple space marine armor, such as it is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I guess in totality it's not clear to me that the Sardaukar of the film are actually using stillsuits, as opposed to just simple space marine armor, such as it is.

Yeah but your space marine armour presumably isn't leaking somewhere. (and yes I know you can say the reclamation bit is the bit that makes Fremen suits special, but I think it's clear in the book that Fremen suits are special because they are particularly good at preventing loss).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The knockoff suits still gather urine and feces in catchpockets, but don't filter them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but your space marine armour presumably isn't leaking somewhere. (and yes I know you can say the reclamation bit is the bit that makes Fremen suits special, but I think it's clear in the book that Fremen suits are special because they are particularly good at preventing loss).

Preventing moisture loss ain't gonna mean poo poo when sand clogs all the joints in your fancy space marine armor after 12 hours in the desert.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

You can technically say there's no loss in a full eva suit but if you don't have the recirculation you're gonna get parched real fast. The water is still in the suit with you but you can't drink it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
A burseg poo poo in he own mouth, a shameful burseg

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Baronash posted:

I went and saw this in theaters last night, and just ordered the book because the movie was so good. I disagree hard with the person upthread who compared the battle scenes to Marvel movies. The first chunk of the movie was so good at setting up House Atreides. It was compressed, but they did a really good job of making it seem like a glimpse of a detailed and long-lasting culture. By the time the bombing comes, I was actually sad to watch that culture die. I’ve never felt that about any of the rotating collection of color-coded extras that occupy the Marvel universe. The fall of the city wasn’t a punch-up so much as it was an ethnic cleansing.

I was a little confused by that section though, because Duke Dreamy Dreamsicle seemed to be aware an attack was coming (“I thought we’d have more time”) but then does nothing to prevent his forces from getting chumped in 5 minutes.

You gotta understand that at this point in film discourse, a solid chunk of people have taken "like a Marvel movie" to mean "bad" and there's not any nuance. Because smart people have been using Marvel as a reference to point out larger flaws common to many movies (third act problems, an over-reliance on spectacle-based rather than emotional conflicts, a jocular but inflexible tone, etc.), other, dumber people have learned that "like a Marvel movie" is a critique you can lobby against something and parrot it regardless of if it's like a Marvel movie at all. I have some problems with Dune's fight scenes, but they in no way resemble your average Marvel movie except in really basic levels like "is an action sequence in a movie I saw".

And I took Leto's line about wanting more time to specifically mean he was preparing but he was preparing on the assumption he'd have more than like a week : he was aware that the attack was coming, but he was building an alliance with the Fremen to have long-term support cause he thought it would be in months-years.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Halloween Jack posted:

i was in a teenage angsty atheist sort of mindset when I first read them and I just assumed with all the Orange Catholic Bible stuff floating around that yeah sexual repression still kickin makes sense if Catholics run everything that isn't Zensunni

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I assume Orange Catholicism must combine all the worst aspects of Catholicism and Northern Irish Protestantism.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

For all the problems Lynch dune had at least there was some artistic imagination put into it, unlike Dunc.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

For all the problems Lynch dune had at least there was some artistic imagination put into it, unlike Dunc.

lol this is such a dumb and lazy "criticism"

Yeah man no imagination at all. The thopters alone were more visually impressive than anything in 1984 Dune, IMO. I've been aware of thopters as a concept since I was a kid playing the Dune RTS games. This film depicted them in a way that no one has tried before, and it worked incredibly well. That's just one example.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah man no imagination at all. The thopters alone were more visually impressive than anything in 1984 Dune, IMO. I've been aware of thopters as a concept since I was a kid playing the Dune RTS games. This film depicted them in a way that no one has tried before, and it worked incredibly well. That's just one example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIKupTibxKQ

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I've said this before, but I like some things about the Lynch Dune and dislike others. The costumes are too samey--I like the sleek black synthetic fabric, but there are too many different factions who are all wearing black synthetic fabric.

Overall, I like the early 20th century era design of the props and uniforms. There are also some props that are just weirdly lazy and bad, like the "Emperor's blade" that Sting uses in the final duel. Seriously, what the gently caress is this:

This is in the same movie with crysknives that look good.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Baronash posted:

The scale of the attack is basically unthinkable in this setting, for two reasons:

1)the Baron has all but bankrupted himself from the cost of getting ships and soldiers together for the assault, which is nigh unthinkable for an ancient noble house

2)the Baron is being aided by the Emperor, which is absolutely unthinkable for anyone because if the Emperor backs one noble house over another then all the other houses will start to get nervous of getting the same treatment. This is especially true of House Atreides, because the whole reason he wants them gone is that they're popular with the other houses.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Halloween Jack posted:

It would be incredibly weird if the decadent space empire had a morality even vaguely resembling ours. SF has often had the problem where future morality is either "the average opinion of New England WASPs at the time of writing" or "the morality of I, the Author, a Nietzschean god beyond the comprehension of you fools with your primitive superstitions and age of consent laws". Wonky stuff like Orange Catholics and Zensunni and jihads against thinking machines are at least something off the beaten path.

Well, at least until we get to the space witches who can mind control you with how good they are at sex.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

stratdax posted:

Lol okay

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Alexa show me the worst post in the DUNC thread

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
He's been posting the same thing in all the Dune threads since the movie premiered. He has some kind of vested interest in letting everyone know he disliked the movie.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Kurzon posted:

I think the Baron is gay in the books.

Halloween Jack posted:

He's not even really "gay," the sum total of his sexuality is preying on adolescent boys.

could edit the "really" out there. sounds unfortunately like saying the pedo is trying (and failing) to be homo. which I know isn't what you meant lol

when people talk about Dune being unfilmable there's the whole grand spectacle, trippy drug poo poo, and internal monologues. but one of the major characters being such an explicit child rapist is also an issue to deal with.
can say Vileneuve made a fair choice to so gloss over that and pick out other aspects of the character instead

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Halloween Jack posted:

I've said this before, but I like some things about the Lynch Dune and dislike others. The costumes are too samey--I like the sleek black synthetic fabric, but there are too many different factions who are all wearing black synthetic fabric.

My favorite costuming detail from dune 84 is that the guild reps are wearing actual used bodybags, which the actors were not told about at the time

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cerv posted:

could edit the "really" out there. sounds unfortunately like saying the pedo is trying (and failing) to be homo. which I know isn't what you meant lol

when people talk about Dune being unfilmable there's the whole grand spectacle, trippy drug poo poo, and internal monologues. but one of the major characters being such an explicit child rapist is also an issue to deal with.
can say Vileneuve made a fair choice to so gloss over that and pick out other aspects of the character instead

I don't really see how "he isn't actually gay, he's a chomo" implies that pedophilia is attempted homosexuality, but "failing to be homo" sounds for real very problematic.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Halloween Jack posted:

A burseg poo poo in he own mouth, a shameful burseg

:vince:

a deep cut :golfclap:

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

He's been posting the same thing in all the Dune threads since the movie premiered. He has some kind of vested interest in letting everyone know he disliked the movie.
I get that some people don't like things I like, because I know from personal experience that sometimes I just bounce hard off something that even people whose recommendations in the past have been good couldn't make me like it by talking about it.
I don't get the point of saying what was said instead of just saying "I don't like it", though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't really see how "he isn't actually gay, he's a chomo" implies that pedophilia is attempted homosexuality, but "failing to be homo" sounds for real very problematic.
They felt the wording "not even really gay" implies he's "almost gay but not quite" or something.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Kurzon posted:

It occurs to me that a warrior who combines those shields with conventional body armor would be unstoppable. The Sardaukar wore body armor when they attacked Arrakis, but Duncan had no trouble knifing them. Do they not have Kevlar gorgets in the far future?

This is just Hollywood convention like where you can shoot arrows and stab longswords through platemail, like when Duncan takes some slashes directly to his armored chest and that kills him. The armor is there to telegraph that these are Serious Business Mooks and that's about it. Yes, obviously they should only be vulnerable at joints or whatever but nobody's got time for that level of choreography.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The Orange Catholic bible is named to evoke the mending of religious schism. The doctrine itself is deliberately formed to be universal, combining all religion.

quote:

C.E.T. convened on a neutral island of Old Earth, spawning ground of the mother religions. They met “in the common belief that there exists a Divine Essence in the universe.” Every faith with more than a million followers was represented, and they reached a surprisingly immediate agreement on the statement of their common goal:
“We are here to remove a primary weapon from the hands of disputant religions. That weapon—the claim to possession of the one and only revelation.”

Historians estimate the riots took eighty million lives.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

The Orange Catholic bible is named to evoke the mending of religious schism. The doctrine itself is deliberately formed to be universal, combining all religion.
Well, at least two major religious powers - there's at least one other group with a different combionation: The Zensunni Wanderers, aka the Fremen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

I get that some people don't like things I like, because I know from personal experience that sometimes I just bounce hard off something that even people whose recommendations in the past have been good couldn't make me like it by talking about it.
I don't get the point of saying what was said instead of just saying "I don't like it", though.

Eh, the poster explained his criticism around the lack of imagination which I definitely see. Again, probably had unrealistic expectations of the movie but coming from the dude who did Sicario, Enemy, and Bladerunner it was definitely blander that I had expected. Perhaps Villeneueve is just really reliant on someone like Deakins to interpret his vision, but Enemy even was still much more evocative.