Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Or you know... Stab yourself.

E: what a dull page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011
Anyone have a recommendation for a stout and sturdy hiking boot that fits 14 wide feet? Keens always fit me well, but the soles wear out far too quick.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have some merrils right now that fit my giant feet pretty well. they've held up to a few hundred miles so far.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.
Lowa makes great boots in wide sizes.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for a stout and sturdy hiking boot that fits 14 wide feet? Keens always fit me well, but the soles wear out far too quick.

Stout and sturdy makes me thing of something like Kenetrek, Scarpa or Crispi. Lathrop & Sons https://lathropandsons.com/ also makes custom fit boots which might be a good choice for big/odd sizes.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I know a handful of pages ago we were talking about hiking pants. I've got a couple pairs of really thin material hiking pants--I think they're an old version of these--and I'd like something a little more substantial. And aren't convertible. I had a pair of convertible pants like twenty years ago and the drat pant leg zippers kept randomly snagging on and ripping out individual leg hairs. I guess most people don't have that problem, since I've never heard of anybody else complain about it, but it sucked. Or maybe the design of the pants sucked, I dunno. Either way I don't really care about converting pants into shorts, so I'd still just rather not have it.

By and large my main issues with my current pants are 1) the material is a little thinner than I'd like when traipsing through heavy brush, and 2) the velcro that holds the pockets shut is absolute garbage. If I could get more or less the same idea with thicker material and not-poo poo velcro, that'd be fine. Also preferably <$100 a pair. Any suggestions?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Dick Burglar posted:

I know a handful of pages ago we were talking about hiking pants. I've got a couple pairs of really thin material hiking pants--I think they're an old version of these--and I'd like something a little more substantial. And aren't convertible. I had a pair of convertible pants like twenty years ago and the drat pant leg zippers kept randomly snagging on and ripping out individual leg hairs. I guess most people don't have that problem, since I've never heard of anybody else complain about it, but it sucked. Or maybe the design of the pants sucked, I dunno. Either way I don't really care about converting pants into shorts, so I'd still just rather not have it.

By and large my main issues with my current pants are 1) the material is a little thinner than I'd like when traipsing through heavy brush, and 2) the velcro that holds the pockets shut is absolute garbage. If I could get more or less the same idea with thicker material and not-poo poo velcro, that'd be fine. Also preferably <$100 a pair. Any suggestions?

Most convertibles have fabric flaps over the zippers now so the hair thing doesn't happen. I wear Eddie Bauer guide pants (regular and convertible) because I like the fit and they're usually on sale pretty often. I also have their upland bird hunting pants (no longer made) because they are technical fabric but the lower legs have ballistic nylon to protect against thorns etc when hunting. They do make some mountain ops pants which look like a mix of technical hiking pants and durable work pants which may be what you're looking for. Also look at upland pants if you need really rugged lower legs. Mountaineering pants might also fit the bill as they're usually meant for scrambling etc. As for closures, I'm not a fan of Velcro because it sucks as it ages or if it gets dirty. Zippers feel more secure to me personally

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

If it's fair weather bush whacking imo canvas work pants or denim.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Verman posted:

Most convertibles have fabric flaps over the zippers now so the hair thing doesn't happen. I wear Eddie Bauer guide pants (regular and convertible) because I like the fit and they're usually on sale pretty often. I also have their upland bird hunting pants (no longer made) because they are technical fabric but the lower legs have ballistic nylon to protect against thorns etc when hunting. They do make some mountain ops pants which look like a mix of technical hiking pants and durable work pants which may be what you're looking for. Also look at upland pants if you need really rugged lower legs. Mountaineering pants might also fit the bill as they're usually meant for scrambling etc. As for closures, I'm not a fan of Velcro because it sucks as it ages or if it gets dirty. Zippers feel more secure to me personally

Those Eddie Bauer pants look pretty good, although I wonder how useful the cargo pockets are. Can you actually fit much in them? I'd like to be able to throw a pair of work gloves into the pockets--it's OK if they stick out, but they need to be deep enough that they won't easily fall out if/when I move through heavy brush. I'll look into hunting and mountaineering pants too.

If I wanted, I guess I could also use this as an excuse to buy the TACTICOOL :c00l: jeans from Varusteleka, lol.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 18, 2021

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
Thought someone in here might take advantage of this - there's an ebay seller with a bunch of Outdoor Research Wallcreepers for a really good price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174930350420

The wallcreeper is a huge goretex hooded poncho / bivy with a drawcoard at the bottom and zippers for your arms. For anyone that does bivy camping, this might be of interest. There's also a Nemo sleeping bag that pairs with it , the Targa, that a few sellers have on ebay as well.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Thought someone in here might take advantage of this - there's an ebay seller with a bunch of Outdoor Research Wallcreepers for a really good price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174930350420

The wallcreeper is a huge goretex hooded poncho / bivy with a drawcoard at the bottom and zippers for your arms. For anyone that does bivy camping, this might be of interest. There's also a Nemo sleeping bag that pairs with it , the Targa, that a few sellers have on ebay as well.

Love the toes in picture 10.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I bought some BC Clothing Expedition pants at Costco for like $18 CAD years ago for work. Did a lot of site visits back then and they were light, durable and looked okay.

I accidentally packed them for my final canoe camping trip of the season and they actually surprised me with how well they compared with my fancy $90 pants.
They have less stretch and by that measure are less comfortable than my fancy pants.. but they were loving fantastic for bush whacking, which we did a significant amount of that trip. Zero issues with them catching snags, and surviving 10km+ of thick brush (including a lot of thorny undergrowth) is a pretty good testament to their durability. They otherwise performed very well. Quick to dry, didn't hold an odor after we pushed our canoe through a bog.. very happy with them.

These pants are not to be confused with the BC Clothing Convertible pants which are way more baggy and quite stretchy. Not sure if they are carried at Costco outside of Canada and doubly unsure if the model is even sold anymore... But poo poo, for the price I had to give them a nod.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dick Burglar posted:

If I wanted, I guess I could also use this as an excuse to buy the TACTICOOL :c00l: jeans from Varusteleka, lol.

I absolutely love those jeans (I'm wearing a pair right now), but they're not exactly hiking pants. They're still cotton denim, just with a bit of polyester for strength and elasthane for stretch, plus hidden pockets and a crotch gusset.

If you do buy a pair, remember to size down 1 or maybe even 2 sizes from your waist measurement on the size chart, they're quite stretchy.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Math You posted:

I bought some BC Clothing Expedition pants at Costco for like $18 CAD years ago for work. Did a lot of site visits back then and they were light, durable and looked okay.

These pants are not to be confused with the BC Clothing Convertible pants which are way more baggy and quite stretchy. Not sure if they are carried at Costco outside of Canada and doubly unsure if the model is even sold anymore... But poo poo, for the price I had to give them a nod.

Interesting. The convertible version are my go-to outdoor activity pants. I've found them to have all the positive qualities you mention. I almost never convert them to shorts, but it's handy to be able to vent. My older pairs were indeed too bulky, but I downsized last year and those were much more trim.

I have some Kuhl pants that cost $100 and I choose the Costco ones every time.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Interesting. The convertible version are my go-to outdoor activity pants. I've found them to have all the positive qualities you mention. I almost never convert them to shorts, but it's handy to be able to vent. My older pairs were indeed too bulky, but I downsized last year and those were much more trim.

I have some Kuhl pants that cost $100 and I choose the Costco ones every time.

I have some of the convertibles as well, and like them.. the other ones are just even better.

If I ever wear through the two pairs I have currently I'll have to try sizing down as you suggest.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Ordered an Enlightened Equipment Revelation to give the quilt thing a serious try. Going hunting/camping in Nebraska in mid Nov but might give it a try out in IL before then. Hoping to have one solution to do it all with the exception of super hot or super cold temps.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I just used my REI Flash Air 1 Tent for the first time last night. I'm a little torn. It provided good shelter, but the condensation build-up was terrible. It was dripping on me by the time I woke up. Other than that, it was very light and it packed down well. What kinds of backpacking tents do you all use?

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Mukulu posted:

I just used my REI Flash Air 1 Tent for the first time last night. I'm a little torn. It provided good shelter, but the condensation build-up was terrible. It was dripping on me by the time I woke up. Other than that, it was very light and it packed down well. What kinds of backpacking tents do you all use?

I think that's a common problem with single wall tents without much ventilation. Most ultralight tents tend to be single wall like that.

I don't personally lean toward the ultralight end of the spectrum, so I'm more likely to use something like an REI Quarter Dome or Big Agnes Copper Spur. But then my trips are not usually terribly long, and I haven't done any thru hiking.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

incogneato posted:

I think that's a common problem with single wall tents without much ventilation. Most ultralight tents tend to be single wall like that.

I don't personally lean toward the ultralight end of the spectrum, so I'm more likely to use something like an REI Quarter Dome or Big Agnes Copper Spur. But then my trips are not usually terribly long, and I haven't done any thru hiking.

Same here. I've used a bivy + tarp setup in the past in my UL phase. I just prefer to carry another 2 pounds and use something like an REI QuarterDome and have plenty of room and be able to setup anywhere.

Of course I'll always prefer my hammock if its a solo trip thats the one I'm taking! My wife prefers we use the tent though.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Same here. I've used a bivy + tarp setup in the past in my UL phase. I just prefer to carry another 2 pounds and use something like an REI QuarterDome and have plenty of room and be able to setup anywhere.

Of course I'll always prefer my hammock if its a solo trip thats the one I'm taking! My wife prefers we use the tent though.

I have a hammock that's super light and packs down very well. The only reason I haven't taken it backpacking is because..... where the heck would I keep my backpack?

I have a old REI Half Dome, but it's bulky and hard to pack which is why I bought the Flash Air.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mukulu posted:

Condensation itself is almost entirely a function of outside conditions, campsite selection, and ventilation. The first two have nothing to do with the tent, and even the last one not so much, since just about any tent can just be opened up a little (or a lot) for more ventilation.

Double or single wall has close to nothing to do with it--it's just condensation may be more noticeable in a small, single walled shelter since your face will be pressed right up against it, and there is no barrier to catch drops.

I backpack almost exclusively in a large single walled pyramid tarp, and condensation is just not an issue as long as long as I'm reasonable about campsite selection (i.e. not camping in an open meadow at the bottom of a basin right next to a creek). It helps that 'mids are very easy to ventilate, have a large interior volume, and the one I use is large enough that whatever condensation does form won't be touching my body or sleeping bag. Even in lovely campsites I can usually keep condensation down to a reasonable level as long as I ventilate enough.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Mukulu posted:

That tent looks pretty similar to bivy sacks (but with more headroom) and in general there's a bit of a learning curve to figure out the best way to use them and manage condensation. If you're waking up soaking wet then you need to get more ventilation--like opening up the fly or any vents it might have built in. This can get a little interesting in storms and heavy rain or wind and is a trade-off for using these super portable and small shelters. Next time go out when conditions are clear and try sleeping with the fly door totally open (but bug net closed)--I bet you'll find it doesn't have nearly as bad of a condensation issue the next morning.

Mukulu posted:

I have a hammock that's super light and packs down very well. The only reason I haven't taken it backpacking is because..... where the heck would I keep my backpack?

I have a old REI Half Dome, but it's bulky and hard to pack which is why I bought the Flash Air.

I clip my pack onto the suspension of my hammock and let it hang--it's rated for 500+ lbs. so it's not a problem to hold the pack, hammock, and me. My pack has a carry handle meant for holding or hanging it (look for one usually on the back and near the top or head, it should be a very heavy duty permanently sewn in strap of webbing), and my suspension system has carabiners on either end to attach the hammock to the tree strap/slings. I just clip the pack onto a biner and it hangs at a perfect height that's just inside the tarp so it won't get the full brunt of rain.

Another option is to toss it on the ground under the hammock. I carry a small ~7x3 foot section of cut down polycro window insulation as an emergency cowboy camping ground sheet and typically have it under the hammock so I can kick my shoes off and not step down on muddy or wet ground. It also makes a perfect place to put something that I don't want to get dirty or wet from the ground. It weighs nothing (less than an ounce) and folds up to a small size.

In general you'll find cutting weight on a shelter always has trade-offs, there's really no perfect 1 lb. shelter for all conditions. Bivy sack or bivy sack-like shelters can be great but you'll have to experiment to figure out what works to keep condensation down. I don't think I've ever slept in one and not had a little bit of condensation though, it kind of comes with the design of them and single wall tents. I like to carry a little kitchen sponge to wipe down the walls of my single wall tent in the morning, especially in colder weather when the condensation turns to frost. If it gets so bad that it's dripping on you try to get more air flow by opening doors, vents, etc. even if it means getting some wind in your face.

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Right on, thanks for the info. This is my first, well first and a half, year backpacking so I'm trying to figure out what works best going forward.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

REI 20% coupon typically good on Oakley sunglasses? Actually just bought a pair yesterday, and got their coupon in the mail today.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

This is tangentially backpacking and camping gear related ... I think there was a recent discussion here about ankle strengthening with balance boards. There are a ton of options. Anyone got a recommendation? It's mostly for my girlfriend who has EDS and wants to stop rolling her ankle while hiking or during everyday life.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

kreeningsons posted:

This is tangentially backpacking and camping gear related ... I think there was a recent discussion here about ankle strengthening with balance boards. There are a ton of options. Anyone got a recommendation? It's mostly for my girlfriend who has EDS and wants to stop rolling her ankle while hiking or during everyday life.

Ignore all of the contraptions he's using but try out the wall exercise this guy shows at 0:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHprvhUyG1Y

After the last balance board discussion I read somewhere that balance boards don't really help prevent ankle rolls but I can't really back that up. Can she see a physical therapist?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just picked up two Big Agnes Skyline camping chairs and they’re pretty much perfect. Under two pounds so not too heavy but they are super comfy

Can’t lean back in them but they’re way more stable than the REI and Helinox ones.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

heffray posted:

Trans Catalina is great, and if your itinerary allows I'd recommend taking the extra 9 miles (round trip) to Starlight Beach. Also, pizza from the convenience store in Two Harbors is at least as good as anything from the restaurant.

Trans Catalina ending up being a lot of fun. Mrs. rear end Trophy used her new Morakniv quite a bit and really liked it. The Osprey packs (Manta 34 and Sirrus 36) were both very comfortable. We had maybe 15 pounds in mine on the heaviest day, hers a little less. Half the weight was water, just to be safe.

Next on our list, tent, bags, "kitchen", and we will try an overnight carrying our own gear based on some of the recommendations in here.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This is just me bragging, but I scored a pair of what look to be worn once or twice Danner Arctic 600 boots this weekend at Goodwill. They fit perfectly, are really warm and super comfy so I'm hyped. I bought a pair of their Trail 6450 GTX mids a month or so ago at full retail too, so I knew I was gonna be finding something perfect & cheap while thrifting.

highme
May 25, 2001

The Kingdom 4 and 6, the mud room and footprints are all on sale at REI for 40% off right now.

Also, they have a bunch of Kinco gloves in their outlet if you need a good use of that 20% off coupon.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

highme posted:

The Kingdom 4 and 6, the mud room and footprints are all on sale at REI for 40% off right now.

Also, they have a bunch of Kinco gloves in their outlet if you need a good use of that 20% off coupon.

Yeah, we just grabbed the Kingdom 4. As tempting as it was to go big with the 6, it just seemed like overkill for a family of three. Hopefully the 4 cuts it. As someone who has only ever used smaller backpacking tents, both sizes seem absurd. But then again, I've never camped with a kid before...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Depending on how many days you're camping for, consider your clothes or other gear you keep in the tent to be another 1/2 of a person. A 6 person 10x10 dome tent is pretty tight with two adults, two small children, and a dog. The Kingdom tent seems to have a better layout and tons of wall storage.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
Since our 4 day hike with a gear haul service went so well, we have decided to go all in and start acquiring our own items that we can pack ourselves. This Christmas, when people ask what I want, I actually will have a list instead of my standard "I don't care." We will rent out some larger packs, sleeping bags and a tent for our first overnight. Hopefully we will have the rest of what we need purchased by then. Going to test it all on a 2 day/1 night on the Ohlone Trail in the East Bay. If all goes well we will purchase the packs, bags and tent some time after this.

On a related gear note, does anyone remember this book?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/754698...63013233dbd5d1d

I used to stare at it endlessly, especially the pages with the visual packing list. I am pretty sure my grandparents bought the series of books for me, so I would have been 8 years old back the. I always figured I would get into hiking/camping, but I was delayed for 40 years due to being bitten by the bike racing bug.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't remember that book but I do remember the John Denver and the Muppets Rocky Mountain Holiday album, because every time my parents road tripped us to go camping that was THE tape we had in the deck. As far as I can tell the music has never been digitized and resold, so some years ago I bought the LP of it and rented a record player to do it myself. I made CD's and sent it to everyone in the family too.

Even thinking of songs on that album has me wanting to be in a tent somewhere.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

kreeningsons posted:

My sister has EDS, and seriously would suggest running this not through goons but through a physical therapist first. Sister is only 45 but now walking with 2 leg braces, 2 arm braces, and a couple weeks ago had her rib just decided to swim free after bending over to tie shoes. It was cool when she was 15 that her knees bent backwards, but now she dislocates her own shoulders sleeping wrong. :(

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Crosspost from pyf recent purchases thread

jfff posted:

Sock talk - socksaddict is running another black Friday sale on Darn Tough socks this year. 25% off code HIKETOUGH good Nov 17 - Nov 30
Last year replaced all my smartwool with darn tough, no regrets.

Just picked up a few myself. Basic shipping was $3.99, but at 25% off each pair, it’s still a great deal if you pick up a couple pairs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
With the burn bans that will be a seasonal thing between July and September in the PacNW, I've been looking at a propane fire source for next season.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Ignik Firecan?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I've heard that small tailgating gas grills work great too as a burn ban safe fire pit: https://www.target.com/p/coleman-propane-party-grill-black/-/A-54537971#lnk=sametab And the bonus thing is that you can cook on them much more easily than a fire pit.

highme
May 25, 2001

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

With the burn bans that will be a seasonal thing between July and September in the PacNW, I've been looking at a propane fire source for next season.

Does anyone here have any experience with the Ignik Firecan?

No, but based on similar considerations I was looking at that yesterday. So I'm here for any reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That seems like a waste of propane.. can you even cook on it?

I guess if you're winter camping a pure heat source gets more justifiable (and in that case I'd go in the solar generator and ceramic heater direction) but for summer car camping it seems like stuff to take up room in the car that doesn't really serve a purpose.. everyone knows open flames make the worst s'mores! You need coals. :v: