Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Judge Tesla posted:

Agatha got more of the spotlight than they did.

Agitha got into Hyrule Warriors while none of the resistance group dorks did. That's hilarious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I wonder when Nintendo will bite the bullet and make the extremely modern Zelda game they've kept staving off since the NES.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I suspect it's because nobody would have known who the gently caress they were, Agitha at least was the girl you gave bugs too and she was one of the few people who'd talk to Wolf Link, so she was memorable.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Bust Rodd posted:

I think the best of both worlds would be a sequel to BOTW with big elaborate dungeons being non-critical sidequests

Yeah, the progression of dungeon difficulty and dungeon centric items are two things I like about linear Zelda games, but one thing i love is dungeon theming.

I want to be creeped out by something as eerie as the OoT Forest Temple, or have as much fun as I did unlocking new parts of Snowpeak Mansion, or work through something as mindbending as the Sand Ship. I want to look forward to how the new game uses this or that classical element for each dungeon. I want that feeling of entering the next 1-2 hour unique & puzzling setpiece of the game. Dungeons have always been the main attraction for me

BOTW2 can stay an open explory game but still have a bunch of unique setpiece dungeons for stuff like secret armour/weapons or challenges

Imagine a Tarrytown style sidequest but each person you need for the town is held prisoner by a unique boss in some cool optional dungeon, all of them scattered across the world?

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 5, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I liked Skyward Sword, I found it really darn good, and I'm one of those people who doesn't mind the Silent Realms or Fi as much.

But I can't deny that Breath of the Wild was kind of... necessary. Zelda games have gotten kind of bogged down in the "Tutorial, do three dungeons for Things, mid-plot shake-up that maybe introduces a new mechanic or the Master Sword, 3 or more new dungeons for New Things, then one final dungeon, epic showdown with Ganon, ending" formula.

It'll be interesting to see how future games after BOTW 2 strike a balance between the classic formula and the new one. Maybe we'll see more games like Link Between Worlds with non-linear dungeon choices. Maybe we'll see a return to traditionalism. Who knows.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I loved botw’s open-ended design, but yes, distinct and intricate dungeons would be a very welcome re-addition

Sure but it's A LOT of game to make that

Ten year dev cycle to really finish it

I mean, I'll wait. Meantime...

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m ready for a true modern take on Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. Give it to the Metroid Dread team. It can be a remaster, a spiritual successor, or just flat out make Zelda Dread. It’s time to give it a try.

:yeah:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Sure but it's A LOT of game to make that

Ten year dev cycle to really finish it

We’re already at five years for BOTW2 if it launches next year (it won’t) and that’s with an existing map and game engine to build upon

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zelda II with souls combat

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

Zelda II with souls combat

hollow Hyrule Knight with hookshot traversal

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I would love a hyrule knight.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

You know the manual had a map, right?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah why does anyone ever draw anything when they could just look at already made pictures instead!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Hedrigall posted:

Yeah, the progression of dungeon difficulty and dungeon centric items are two things I like about linear Zelda games, but one thing i love is dungeon theming.

I want to be creeped out by something as eerie as the OoT Forest Temple, or have as much fun as I did unlocking new parts of Snowpeak Mansion, or work through something as mindbending as the Sand Ship. I want to look forward to how the new game uses this or that classical element for each dungeon. I want that feeling of entering the next 1-2 hour unique & puzzling setpiece of the game. Dungeons have always been the main attraction for me

BOTW2 can stay an open explory game but still have a bunch of unique setpiece dungeons for stuff like secret armour/weapons or challenges

Imagine a Tarrytown style sidequest but each person you need for the town is held prisoner by a unique boss in some cool optional dungeon, all of them scattered across the world?

From the preview the other day it sounds like Elden Ring is going to play like this. With a big open world and seamless dungeons you can wander off into.

I hope botw2 is a lot like that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TheLoneStar posted:

He's got a mouth he's never using, right? Give him three swords.

Just give him Four Swords and go for broke.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Anyone else pick up the Zelda Game & Watch? It owns. I thought the clock feature was just random segments/rooms from Zelda 1 and Link walks around and kills enemies while the time changes, while it technically is that he actually goes through all of Zelda 1 and at 12AM/PM he beats Ganon and it repeats. It's also a 100% run apparently, he always finishes the game with the Red Ring and Full Hearts. I think he also always has the Magic Sword when he gets to the end but I haven't actually checked, I did see him get the White Sword so I assume he gets the other one too. I obviously haven't watched the whole 12 hour playthrough but every time I glance over he's in a different area of the map or a new dungeon.

It's definitely modified though (since all the rooms have to fit a clock on the floor, or sometimes it goes where the map is) and there's certain areas I haven't seen in the game yet like the Cemetery or eastern side of the map with a lot of water. The battery on it doesn't last more than a day so if you want this just posted up as a clock you'll need to just leave it plugged in which is no big deal. This one comes with a cheap cardboard stand with a Triforce on it that you can use to prop the Game & Watch up to use as a clock and a cut-out on the side so you can always have it plugged in.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

I'm tempted by the Game & Watch just to have a yet different way to replay Link's Awakening. I haven't actually ever played the original monochrome version.

But I'll probably talk myself out of it.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I picked up the Zelda Game and Watch also and really like it. I hadn’t realized it also had Link’s Awakening, so that’s a cool surprise for me. You can at any time in clock mode just pick up and play, taking over for Link. The timer mode let’s you play Zelda 2 and kill as many enemies as you can in that time limit.

It’s a nice looking machine, but the cardboard display it comes with looks ugly as sin so I wouldn’t recommend using that to display it. The box looks great though.

My review is Game / Watch, it’s what you would expect from what it claims to be. You already know if you’re interested.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Any game dev goons or home brew hackers need a house payment?

https://twitter.com/ign/status/1464194826027610113?s=21

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I picked up the Zelda Game and Watch also and really like it. I hadn’t realized it also had Link’s Awakening, so that’s a cool surprise for me. You can at any time in clock mode just pick up and play, taking over for Link. The timer mode let’s you play Zelda 2 and kill as many enemies as you can in that time limit.

It’s a nice looking machine, but the cardboard display it comes with looks ugly as sin so I wouldn’t recommend using that to display it. The box looks great though.

My review is Game / Watch, it’s what you would expect from what it claims to be. You already know if you’re interested.

This is actually going to be a great gift for my grandpa. He played the poo poo out of OG Zelda when it came out, and taught a bunch of us grandkids everything about it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Working on a big world map of BotW:
https://twitter.com/vgcartography/status/1464242383311319052?s=20

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That's really cool, it reminds me of a particular procedural isometric map generator I was fascinated by as a kid.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

is that you? very cool

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, I haven't done any other Zelda stuff really but I've played around with SS maps on noclip. I'm just having trouble getting into the game to actually fill them out... I'm running around the first volcano visit not having much fun. In the Wii U days I quit at the black and white version of the volcano revisit I think.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's really cool, it reminds me of a particular procedural isometric map generator I was fascinated by as a kid.

bryce?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nah, it actually predated that. I can never remember exactly which software it was, but it was something on my dad's ancient Amiga 1000.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

With the Game and Watch in my face whenever I'm on the computer I decided it's been long enough that I should play through Zelda 1 again so I fired it up on the Switch and I don't remember the game controlling so poorly. There also seems to be a ton of input lag. I should give it a go on PC and see if it still controls bad but man, Link doesn't move or act as quickly as I remember.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Watching my niece play Genshin over the holiday, it is obviously BotW+gatcha+NumbersGoUp with mobile game currency, skin, and stat bloat... But... Is there actually a game under all that? An overall story that's remotely Zelda like or is it bear rear end side quests all the way down?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Bloop posted:

Watching my niece play Genshin over the holiday, it is obviously BotW+gatcha+NumbersGoUp with mobile game currency, skin, and stat bloat... But... Is there actually a game under all that? An overall story that's remotely Zelda like or is it bear rear end side quests all the way down?

You forgot the anime tittys.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cartoon Man posted:

You forgot the anime tittys.

I definitely did not, but that part isn't in question

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

The Bloop posted:

I haven't played Genshin, but I want to say if you're want a similar BotW experience you're probably better off with Immortals: Fenyx Rising?

Mind I haven't played Immortals either but I've heard it's pretty decent... if you can put up with the usual Ubisoft Tower thing and also especially if you like Saturday morning cartoon sense of humor.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only people still playing Genshin are pretty much people who openly admit “I like gacha games, I have a gambling problem, this game is working perfectly on me”, and none of the people saying it was “BotW but with good combat!” are anywhere to be found all these months later.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Silver Falcon posted:

I haven't played Genshin, but I want to say if you're want a similar BotW experience you're probably better off with Immortals: Fenyx Rising?

Mind I haven't played Immortals either but I've heard it's pretty decent... if you can put up with the usual Ubisoft Tower thing and also especially if you like Saturday morning cartoon sense of humor.

Yeah this is the better choice, definitely scratches the BOTW itch. Ubisoft should have it on sale for pennies this holiday at various points.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Genshin is fun but I’m not playing it right now because I’ve exhausted the content that isn’t gacha stuff or just there to make number go up.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

The only people still playing Genshin are pretty much people who openly admit “I like gacha games, I have a gambling problem, this game is working perfectly on me”, and none of the people saying it was “BotW but with good combat!” are anywhere to be found all these months later.
yeah that would be because the only reason to continuously play a game like that for so long is if you're fully in the clutches of the grind machine, obviously no one is going to take a whole year+ just exploring the world

which does exist and is pretty fun to explore and looks gorgeous at times so yes i would say the game can provide an experience like that if you're looking for it. the grind part is more relegated to these completely separate battle arenas, the purpose of which is to grind for materials so you can level up your character and equipment to take on progressively harder battle arenas... you see where this is going, but you can play the game for like 30 hours easy and not really care about this part and just do some normal quests and exploration stuff.

so the answer is that yes there is a game underneath all that but obviously developing more landmass for the game is a much bigger effort than characters and harder generic battle arenas so most of the stuff added to the game is of the latter two varieties.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cartoon Man posted:

Yeah this is the better choice, definitely scratches the BOTW itch. Ubisoft should have it on sale for pennies this holiday at various points.
It's like $20 now, $15 on Amazon. I enjoyed it a lot, and the DLC except the last isometric game. The other two DLCs are pretty short though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/TsBLIhA.gifv

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Nintendo please, I'm begging you

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
GLaDOS would make a great fairy companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Immarleys fezziwig scrooging was ok at best. The like... only 5 kinds of puzzles in the whole game got really repetitive, it suffered hugely from Ubisoft map icon bloat, and the two dudes yelling narration at you in fake Greek accents for the entire game was a LOT