Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

YF-23 posted:

I still don't think it is the same. While AOT specifically goes out of its way to give twists on them or flip on them altogether, it positively revels in the aesthetics of militarism and dehumanisation. You do not get something that has such a surface-level appeal to fascists with most other series.

How is that different from other stories about militaries? "There is no such thing as an anti-war film" and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I can only possibly recommend Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pththya-lyi posted:

How is that different from other stories about militaries? "There is no such thing as an anti-war film" and all.
Readers were fist pumping and cheering when Eren started killing everyone during the marley arc. When do people fist pump and cheer watching Come and See?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
How could I have forgotten about Come and See, the only war movie?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Try not to scrape the floor as you move those goalposts.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

If we compare AoT to the green berets, AoT might even come out favorably.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

No Wave posted:

Readers were fist pumping and cheering when Eren started killing everyone during the marley arc. When do people fist pump and cheer watching Come and See?

I was cheering when Eren started killing everyone during the Marley arc for the same reason I cheer when poo poo goes down during disaster movies.

That said, plenty of people ITT were cheering because the only good fascist is a dead fascist, including the civilians that tacitly support such a regime through compliance as opposed to violent insurrection. Try psychoanalysizing those.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

I was cheering when Eren started killing everyone during the Marley arc for the same reason I cheer when poo poo goes down during disaster movies.

That said, plenty of people ITT were cheering because the only good fascist is a dead fascist, including the civilians that tacitly support such a regime through compliance as opposed to violent insurrection. Try psychoanalysizing those.
Are you the kind of goon who thinks they deserve death because they arent resisting the government hard enough?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Are you?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
oh no did this get shared in a discord i hate when this happens

I said it before, it's impossible to argue with people who have decided AoT is fascist because if you don't think it is, they already decided for you you either misunderstood or are a fascist yourself. I just hope they're not into Star Wars, Naruto, anything Marvel or DC really, Robocop, Starship Troopers, Squid Game

ah you get it it's not worth doing this again poo poo's so repetitive even the avatars of the people doing it look alike lol

lets just relitigate how poo poo the ending was

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

YF-23 posted:

I can only possibly recommend Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence.

I have to second this. Really really fantastic film.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Unless you're full juche I don't see how you could read Squid Game as fascist

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Fascists love squid game because they think it’s a blistering hot take on the dangers of communism. Anything is pro fascist if you’re a complete loving idiot incapable of introspection.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

When does communism come up in squid game?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
It doesn't, beyond the occasional mention of North Korea. They claim stuff like food lines, soldiers shooting people, etc. means communism

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

No Wave posted:

When does communism come up in squid game?

lol it doesn’t, that’s the point. They just make poo poo up so that the media they are watching vindicates their personal views.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
A major character is a North Korean refugee but that's basically it, as far as stuff actually in the show goes

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
lotta deranged lunatics in the thread equating a show for teenagers to a genocide endorsement

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

TheKingofSprings posted:

lotta deranged lunatics in the thread equating a show for teenagers to a genocide endorsement

When you've seen a little of AoT: well it looks like it's all about retaking your land from hordes of inhuman zombiemonsters who are only held at bay by your giant walls, I can see why manchild fascists would love it....

When you've seen more of AoT: ah ok the walls themselves are made up of inhuman zombiemonsters, and maybe every single monster was a human at some point? and these monsters were created by soldiers injecting prisoners with something and throwing them off these giant walls? what's going on here? is man the real monster?

When you've read the end of AoT: "Thank you for genociding for our sake"

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 17, 2021

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
there's some poetic irony in the united states lacking self-awareness while everyone else just kinda goes "oh there they go again"

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

The United States posted:

When you've read the end of AoT: "Thank you for genociding for our sake"

I long suspected without bothering to confirm that people were getting real worked up about a lovely translation but yep that appears to be the case

What he says is more like "You became a murderer for our benefit...I swear I won't let your mistake be for nothing"

Not an arigatou in sight

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1461061994019053569

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
Yeah everyone’s initial reaction of that exchange was based on the really dodgy translations that hit the web first. For some reason even though it was cleared up and corrected within days, “thanks for committing genocide for us” was already a solidified meme

It’s like “nah I’ve already built too much of my identity on this misconception and the disappointment I felt when I believed it, I don’t care what he actually said now.”

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah everyones initial reaction of that exchange was based on the really dodgy translations that hit the web first. For some reason even though it was cleared up and corrected within days, thanks for committing genocide for us was already a solidified meme

Its like nah Ive already built too much of my identity on this misconception and the disappointment I felt when I believed it, I dont care what he actually said now.

there's some sort of poetic irony in the united states getting really into fake news and twitter discourse

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
It's such a bad translation that the only possible explanation besides "a fascist did it" is that they did not read the left panel at all and just guessed

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The anime explainer has logged on
https://twitter.com/scottwongDC/status/1461063478588936200

Tenkaris posted:

Yeah everyone’s initial reaction of that exchange was based on the really dodgy translations that hit the web first. For some reason even though it was cleared up and corrected within days, “thanks for committing genocide for us” was already a solidified meme
The original dodgy translation was "thank you for becoming a murderer" but it turns out yeah that's not quite right, the word used can easily mean "slaughterer" or "mass murderer" or "genocider" if you wish

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I think somehow turning "I swear I will not let your mistake be for nothing" into "thank you" is the bigger issue but to each their own :shrug:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

ImpAtom posted:

I am sad that "Thank you for becoming a mass murderer for our sake" is too spoiler to be a title because that like made me die laughing.

I found the first post mentioning it :D this is the exact wording from the lovely translation

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 17, 2021

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

So within this page I see someone say that there's no such thing as an anti-war movie and immediately backpedal in their next post, someone accusing people who think there's a valid fascist interpretation of AoT of raiding this thread from a discord server, and someone referring to them as deranged lunatics. Is this arguing in good faith?

This is loving surreal, holy poo poo. :eyepop:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

YF-23 posted:

So within this page I see someone say that there's no such thing as an anti-war movie and immediately backpedal in their next post, someone accusing people who think there's a valid fascist interpretation of AoT of raiding this thread from a discord server, and someone referring to them as deranged lunatics. Is this arguing in good faith?

This isn't D&D, but more importantly this is like the 527th time someones come stomping in with a steaming hot take after reading the polygon article and a few tweets. There's literally an example of it on this very page which is literally disproved 2 posts later but it will never, ever stop.

But basically it comes down to this for most of us

hatty posted:

I don’t think the ending is fascist I just think it sucks and I have no energy to defend it against bad faith readings

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

serious gaylord posted:

This isn't D&D, but more importantly this is like the 527th time someones come stomping in with a steaming hot take after reading the polygon article and a few tweets. There's literally an example of it on this very page which is literally disproved 2 posts later but it will never, ever stop.

But basically it comes down to this for most of us

I just wanna add something very important: Gosar sounds and reads very close to the Brazilian Portuguese verb "to cum"

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
It’s the same posters, coming in , stomping their feet saying the work is fascist with the flimsiest of reasons. When pointed out how you have to basically ignore everything in text to reach that interpretation, they slink back into the shadows.

There’s never anything productive that comes out of that discussion, because all the people claiming it are clearly arguing in bad faith and never talk about how the text in many scenes, almost hits a hammer on the readers head and says” look how bad fascism is you idiot, this is where it leads”.

So why even bother at this point. Personally i’d be up for just banning the discussion happening at all. It’s happened so many times at this point and nothing useful comes of it , except pointless arguing that wears everyone out.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
My point was not that there has never been an anti-war film that is effective in its messaging: that's why I put "there is no such thing as an anti-war film" in quotes. The argument I was trying to make was that there are a lot of anti-war films - not to mention superhero and disaster films - that frame death and destruction in a cool-looking way, and many people latch onto how pretty the explosions are instead of taking any deeper meaning from the work. I'm sorry for being unclear, but I don't understand why we should condemn AoT and let other stories off the hook when they do the same thing. If we have to throw out Isayama, should we throw out Coppola and Kubrick too?

E: Anyway I'm not going to watch the David Bowie movie because I don't support statutory rape.

Kidding. But do you see how it feels?

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 18, 2021

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

A lot of those movies get rightfully critiqued for glamourising war/fascism/etc. even while containing textual condemnation of it. It is understood that said textual message comes second to overall presentation, that when those things clash the message in the text is fundamentally undercut. Because characters are fallible, because they are not mouthpieces, they can be wrong; it is not enough for a character to say "genocide is wrong" to give a story a pass for portraying the fascists glamorously. It is not enough for Gabi to have an explicit and very well-written character arc in which she gets over her internalised self-hatred and preconceptions if the rest of the story fails to back that up: she had the potential to be a foil to Eren and represent hope in breaking the cycle of violence, but ends up little more than a victim to it.

I don't think AoT is fascist; I think Isayama decided to end his story with a clichéd remark about violence being an inherent part of human nature, especially considering the extra pages for the ending. But that kind of fits in a fascist worldview that would see that as "survival of the fittest", so while I don't agree with it I can very easily see a valid reading of AoT as a fascist story.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Not a surprise that the fascist who imagines themselves as a heroic member of the heroic survey corps cutting down the evil foreign invaders and democrats doesn't actually care about censure procedures and just wants to keep using anime to encourage his fascist followers to kill his political enemies

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1461106483836465162

Wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross and the cross itself is posting anime death trolling reactionary widescreen... videos

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

VROOM VROOM posted:

I long suspected without bothering to confirm that people were getting real worked up about a lovely translation but yep that appears to be the case

What he says is more like "You became a murderer for our benefit...I swear I won't let your mistake be for nothing"

Not an arigatou in sight

That's because the arigatō happened two panels earlier:

For those wondering, Armin's first speech bubble says ...エレン ("...Eren"). His second says ありがとう ("Thank you"). Then he says the "You became a mass murderer..." yadda yadda yadda line.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

they really should have brought erwin back instead lol

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DamnitGannet posted:

they really should have brought erwin back instead lol
Oh sure let's let the natural genius who can be trained die over the average, experienced general.
*KAFF*

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I do love how ridiculously, wildly off base all those people were that thought Armin would have....literally any impact at all on how everything shook out in the end, when the reality is nothing anyone did mattered and Erin got everything he wanted. Which was, itself, kind of pointless. He sure did kill a lot of people though, and I guess all the folks he personally cared for lived out their lives before it went to poo poo again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

In It For The Tank posted:

That's because the arigatō happened two panels earlier:

Uhh AoT is a land of contrasts