Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

explosivo posted:

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Tempestfall: The Reckoning (okay i added that last one but cmon) came out today. This looked kinda rad, and the videos on the store page continue to look rad. Anyone know if it's as good as it looks?

Edit: Seems like it doesn't work through virtual desktop on quest right now. Nobody says it doesn't work on airlink though so :shrug:

I see three different user reviews with 3090 complaining of performance...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Woo, it's OCULUS30 time again. How's that new Medal of Honour game? If not that then I'll grab Resi 4.

MoH? The Quest version seems ugly, with very low res and 72 fps. The PC version needs a beefy computer and the quality itself is... well, the Steam user reviews are at 68%, and in the Oculus store at 76 (and god knows the scores there are inflated).

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Alctel posted:

Yeah it's weird cos DLSS is awesome on almost every flatscreen game I tried

Yeah, especially DLSS quality - I've turned it on in my 1080p death stranding which is running at pegged 90FPS even without it because it just flat out looks better than native rendering.

e: I'm told this is less so the case the higher resolution you go and applies only to DLSS >=2.0 (which DS has) so YMMV, but it definitely looks better for me.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Nov 18, 2021

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
DLSS is loving magic.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwTQrYccbM
Amusing ad.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Well, it was always going to happen. I finally smacked my monitor hard enough to leave a mark, while playing Until You Fall. Oh well.

Lucky I usually play shooters and such rather than melee combat games!

If I do play it again I guess maybe I should throw a blanket over my monitor and tv first.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Well, it was always going to happen. I finally smacked my monitor hard enough to leave a mark, while playing Until You Fall. Oh well.

If I do play it again I guess maybe I should throw a blanket over my monitor and tv first.

The obvious solution would be to play more separate of tvs/walls/etc, but I know the reality is, we don't have the big empty spaces in our homes that appear on VR ads. Reality is more... narrow.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Turin Turambar posted:

The obvious solution would be to play more separate of tvs/walls/etc, but I know the reality is, we don't have the big empty spaces in our homes that appear on VR ads. Reality is more... narrow.

Yeah my apartment is loving tiny. My VR play area only really enough room to stand up and not move around at all. I use Turn Signal, and try not to stray off my mark, but it's easy to drift. It's particularly easy to drift in a melee combat game, and also the consequences are worse if you do...

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
a great technique to safely VR in my own tiny spaces is a yoga mat folded in half and just try to keep one foot in the center. I still hit the ceiling while playing robot frisbee though :negative:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Resolution games (Blaston, Demeo) announces a new game. Rocket League but with mechs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvrTWPpY7ak

Vault of Stars coming to Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiIKafVeQxE

Biolum is a short experience coming to PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH1oN4DDDYw

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Hyperlynx posted:

my first close call made me rotate my play area's "forward" direction 90 degrees. i hit my monitor so hard that its edge made a pretty deep cut in my index finger.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

a great technique to safely VR in my own tiny spaces is a yoga mat folded in half and just try to keep one foot in the center. I still hit the ceiling while playing robot frisbee though :negative:
That's a really good idea. I think a lot of games, even those that support room area, could be played without moving around from your center position much. Having a constant reminder underfoot of where that center is, and to always stay on it where possible, would go a long way to keeping me oriented in VR without constant checks.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah there's a speaker cable that runs through the middle of our living room rug so I know that if one foot is touching that, I can swing a wide and reckless haymaker without touching anything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I stand on a rug but see my recent history in this thread as to why that's a horrible horrible awful psyche-scarring idea and by god I am still shook

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

explosivo posted:

Warhammer: Age of Sigmar: Tempestfall: The Reckoning (okay i added that last one but cmon) came out today. This looked kinda rad, and the videos on the store page continue to look rad. Anyone know if it's as good as it looks?

Edit: Seems like it doesn't work through virtual desktop on quest right now. Nobody says it doesn't work on airlink though so :shrug:

AirLink works fine. They say they fixed the Virtual Desktop issue but I don't understand how because there hasn't been a patch or anything. Was still broken for me last night, I need to reach out to them on twitter or something.

The world in it is pretty good looking. All the art is, really. The gameplay seems ok but it's also like it's a little bit off? Hard to explain. Just seems like you swing and sometimes the enemy is just out of reach and your hits don't connect. Either that or I'm missing some hitbox? But i'm really intrigued to keep playing with it. I just hope they can fix VD because it runs a ton better for me than AirLink does simply because I have the resolution scaled down (I suppose I could do that in Steam but eh).

I have a amd 3700x and a nvidia 3070, for reference. It's definitely playable even in AirLink but I have no idea what the frame rate was. It wasn't really warping with the SSW so I assume it was fine.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Vib Rib posted:

That's a really good idea. I think a lot of games, even those that support room area, could be played without moving around from your center position much. Having a constant reminder underfoot of where that center is, and to always stay on it where possible, would go a long way to keeping me oriented in VR without constant checks.

Yeah I have a gel mat that I can put down and know that as long as I am standing on it I'm good to move wherever.

They sell specific mats marketed at that (Proximat or whatever) but just anything (yoga mat, door mat, whatever) works fine.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Is there a fancy German word for the feeling you get when you think something is both cool as heck and absolutely horrifying?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/58489?tab=description

SkyrimVR mod that uses an external biosensor to make your in game spell power dependent on your brain's current alpha/theta ratio.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:staredog:

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I've never even tried VR but I'm interested due to probably spending this winter hibernating. How much facebook bullshit is involved in using the Quest 2?

If I got prescription lenses, are they easily swappable?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mordecai posted:

I've never even tried VR but I'm interested due to probably spending this winter hibernating. How much facebook bullshit is involved in using the Quest 2?

If I got prescription lenses, are they easily swappable?

The Quest 2 is nothing BUT facebook bullshit.

The prescription lens attachments are for specific headsets, so there is no having them for a Quest 2 and swapping them over to an Index or the other way around. They friction-fit over the lenses in the headset and are very easy to put on and take off.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

KakerMix posted:

The Quest 2 is nothing BUT facebook bullshit.

By which kaker means you sign into facebook once on the headset and then basically ignore facebook forever.

Then at some point once all that meta poo poo happens probably can disconnect your facebook and convert it to a meta account or whatever the gently caress who cares

you're still giving zuckerberg your cash, which always sucks. but no ethical consumption under capitalism etc

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lord Bob posted:

By which kaker means you sign into facebook once on the headset and then basically ignore facebook forever.

Then at some point once all that meta poo poo happens probably can disconnect your facebook and convert it to a meta account or whatever the gently caress who cares

you're still giving zuckerberg your cash, which always sucks. but no ethical consumption under capitalism etc

It's more than that though because you can still get smacked off Oculus because facebook robots didn't like something on your account, no matter your purchases.

I'm not talking about having to interact with facebook, I'm talking about it IS facebook and beholden to whatever whims it does because of that.

There is no way to have a Quest 2 and not have a facebook account. You get a quest 2, you have a facebook. It's 1:1.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

The oculus30 code aint working for me. I'm assuming its because I used that code in the past?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ChocNitty posted:

The oculus30 code aint working for me. I'm assuming its because I used that code in the past?

You can only use it when it's offered to you. You can get it again I think but it's only valid if they applied it to your account basically.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Mordecai posted:

You just log in with your Facebook account at setup, after that there’s a handful of things like only being able to post screenshots to Facebook but it’s ignorable enough. If you already have a Facebook account dormant somewhere you probably have nothing to worry about.

If you do get ding banned by the algorithm though contact Oculus support, not Facebook. Supposedly they’re a lot better at getting accounts restored.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lord Bob posted:

Pretty much this.

Unless you're an rear end in a top hat on facebook, or are some weird shadow account that just popped up to make a headset account, you probably wont have a single issue with the facebook side.

Pretty much if you have facebook, and don't abuse it, even if you rarely post, itll be fine and you'll ignore it. I have everything social turned off and I only see my name in menu stuff. Thats bout it. Everything in game is alias like normal.

njsykora posted:

If you do get ding banned by the algorithm though contact Oculus support, not Facebook. Supposedly they’re a lot better at getting accounts restored.

This too. But again you shouldn't get hit with anything unless your accounts just suspect somehow. I've had a fake picture for years, I rarely post, I have 12 friends. Never an issue. I do know a couple of people who setup real, actual accounts with photos who got hit. They had to verify who they were. It was really just facebook mistaking a new account for a bot.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

FB really likes their surprise releases
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/...aF7AHLq1xUAJPxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNsS9aTA8SE

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
Didn't see it mentioned here, but there's another Quest 2 exclusive out that's pretty drat good imo, called Resist.

It's a open world cyberpunk spiderman game made by the studio that did Gun Club and from what I've played, they have once again managed to design a tight experience, based around a really satisfying gameplay loop.

The 'webslinging' is just really well done, and despite the fact that Boneworks makes me a little bit nauseus still, I can swing around at full speed with their 'medium' comfort settings, which I don't even notice most of the time. Not exactly sure how they pulled that off.

Anyway if you want to experience what it's like to be a freedom fighter, freeing your city from the evil tyrannical grips of a techocracy, buy this Facebook game and wait 20 years.

Gentleman Baller fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 19, 2021

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I want to read Kindle books in untethered VR. I know this is unusual, and really nobody supports it directly, but I find it comfortable to lay on my back in bed with a virtual book hovering over my face. It also minimizes distractions.

I used to be able to do this via Google Daydream. I could use my Daydream headset + my Android phone + Chrome on Android to load the Kindle website, where I could read books in VR in the browser.

But Daydream has been discontinued for some time now. I haven't done this in years. Today, I found my Daydream headset and tried to get it working again but it won't - the Daydream software will not run on Android 11.

So how could I do this today? I have an Android phone, a Daydream headset, and a powerful PC with Steam.

I'm thinking I will probably need to run a VR browser directly on Android or stream VR to my phone from my PC. Poor latency wouldn't matter much for laying still and reading books.

I know this is unusual and not officially supported, so if I can do it at all I expect it to be some weird workaround.

Here's hoping the rumors about Valve working on a standalone headset are true. If so, I bet I could use a browser on it and solve this issue.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Quest has a browser already, can you use that?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The Quest has a browser already, can you use that?

the quest can also sideload Android APKs so you could probably just get a proper app for it

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Um, I’m not seeing anything about that poster having a Quest.

Does Android still have old school Cardboard VR apps you can try in lieu of Daydream? Several years ago I tried out reading an ebook in Cardboard but that was on iOS (and a horrible experience, to boot). Might be worth a look though.

Edit: maybe you can side load ALVR but it might not work if daydream doesn’t. https://github.com/polygraphene/ALVR

Leathal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 19, 2021

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
To take it as far as you can I think what you would do is go into a private VRchat world then open the book in an overlay software like OVR or XSOverlay https://store.steampowered.com/app/1173510/XSOverlay/ . This kind of software lets you position outside windows and interact with them within any VR game or app. So you could lie in bed in the chill summer nights world and read litrpgs in a window hovering above you dressed as Wallace from Wallace and Gromit . You could also have the built in video frame in vrchat playing whatever video or music you want.

A lot of Elite:Dangerous players use this to watch netflix while they spacetruck

edit: oh you want to do this without a headset. I wouldnt bother just buy a quest 2 they are so cheap

Jokerpilled Drudge fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 19, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Whoops, yes, there is no mention of a Quest. You could also buy a second hand phone that can't upgrade beyond the necessary Android version, that should work out pretty cheap. If it's really only for the Kindle app then it doesn't even need to be a good one.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Leathal posted:

Is there a fancy German word for the feeling you get when you think something is both cool as heck and absolutely horrifying?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/58489?tab=description

SkyrimVR mod that uses an external biosensor to make your in game spell power dependent on your brain's current alpha/theta ratio.

That's loving cool. I like how the guy has clearly put real thought into it, it's not just a hackjob slapped together for some YouTube likes.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
If all you want to do is read, you can get a stand that holds your e-reader above you while you lie down. Throw a sheet over it and you and it also does the minimise distraction part.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
What's that team based co-op dungeon crawler? It'd be cool to have that kind of functionality in that.

Rogues only get sneak attack bonus of they are genuinely alll sangfroid :unsmigghh:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Lord Bob posted:

I mean, that line doesn't mean "so give your cash to whoever, who cares", it means to not beat yourself up about failing to purchase completely ethically, and that capitalism as an entire system is poo poo.

I think other companies, like Valve, are the lesser of the evils, and that there's still value in avoiding giving Facebook any more money. But yeah, if you literally can't afford VR without getting a Quest then that's valid, and get a Quest.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I put a little square of duct tape on the ground and keep my left foot on it. Thankfully the ceilings in my narrow office are 12'.

Is there a recommended settings guide for SteamVR? Things are pretty stable but I'd like to smooth things out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

i sent a referral to my friend after he reset his quest 2 and he clicked the link and set up the device again but neither of us got any money. are the credits instant? is there any indication that it worked or is working besides getting the money? he's a bit of a dumbo, so i'm thinking maybe he screwed up the process