Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

If memory serves, there were only 3 production seasons which Netflix then subdivided for release, so we knew at least a season or two in advance when the end was coming.

This was most obvious with season 2, whose last episode doesn't really "feel" like a season finale imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

If memory serves, there were only 3 production seasons which Netflix then subdivided for release, so we knew at least a season or two in advance when the end was coming.

This was most obvious with season 2, whose last episode doesn't really "feel" like a season finale imo.

So you mean it was originally 3 seasons that Netflix then split into 5? Is that a common practice for them?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Yeah, that's the other thing. "Seasons" with Netflix animated shows are meaningless because they tend to do that kind of bullshit arbitrary chopping up of longer seasons into pods, which means you will get thing like that where a low stakes episode cliffhanger is amped up into something of inflated importance because it now has to serve as a "season" finale instead of just a mid point in the middle of a season.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

The common example for the lifespan of an average Netflix animated series is something like Carmen Sandiego, which made it 4 seasons and still managed to end on its own terms, but the final season reeked of Netflix pulling the plug on it and going "wrap everything up and get out. Now."

I'm surprised Dragon Prince got all the seasons the creators wanted.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

I'm surprised Dragon Prince got all the seasons the creators wanted.

Though last I checked we still have no idea yet when the next one’s coming out.

Hopefully the He-Man reboot does well/is decent in any case (and based on some news from Power Con we might even be getting the second half of Revelation by around November or December).

Speaking of, should we make another thread for the new show when it comes out on Thursday or continue to repurpose this one?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They had plans for 52 episodes and 52 episodes they got iirc. (The iirc was for the total episode count I forgot lmao)

Their plans were for the full time.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Senerio posted:

They had plans for 52 episodes and 52 episodes they got iirc. (The iirc was for the total episode count I forgot lmao)

Their plans were for the full time.

The Dreamworks/Netflix shows have all been ordered for a set number of episodes from the start and from what I recall they have never changed it later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So other than the first season being 13 episodes we have no idea how long the new He-Man reboot (which starts tomorrow BTW) is going to last at the moment correct?

Also some more details courtesy of He-man.org:

Beast Man and Cringer will have a personal rivalry, Beast Man took out Cringer's claws, so when he transforms into Battle Cat, they are replaced by energy.

Also, Eternos is now the name of the whole planet, not just the royal court

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 15, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Personally I'd suggest making a new thread for the new show, since it's going to be quite a bit longer than Revelation and this thread is already 90 pages. Probably better to have one with an OP for that particular show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

Personally I'd suggest making a new thread for the new show, since it's going to be quite a bit longer than Revelation and this thread is already 90 pages. Probably better to have one with an OP for that particular show.

Well the show starts tomorrow, so any volunteers to make said thread?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ve got our first review of the new series, seems fairly positive for the most part:

https://www.polygon.com/22671624/he-man-and-the-masters-of-the-universe-netflix-reboot-cg

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So, did anyone get a chance to watch the He-Man reboot yet? If so, what did you think?

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
Watched the first half. It’s decent. Nothing innovative or groundbreaking so far, but the animation is nice and the changes in personalities and characters are interesting so it’s been worth the test viewing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ZixTheYeti posted:

Nothing innovative or groundbreaking so far, but the animation is nice and the changes in personalities and characters are interesting so it’s been worth the test viewing.

By MOTU standards it kind of is.

Anyway, the show’s not too bad actually (good enough to keep watching at least). It’s no Warriors but the theme song is pretty decent as well in my opinion.

Hopefully unlike the 2002 show this one will actually last long enough to get a proper ending (I believe aside from SPoP the only MOTU related show that had something that could be described as a series finale was New Adventures).

Out of curiosity, how long was the gap between She-Ra seasons back when that was new (though schedules probably vary between Netflix shows)?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also here’s the full version of the opening:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=k9RQLTnvIW4

It’s very….unique but not too bad honestly

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

MotU has massive Star Wars Rebels energy mixed with Overwatch character designs

I like it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Revelation Part 2 drops on November 23rd.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nice, I assume there’s still no word on Season 2 of the reboot at the moment?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new 'Savage He-Man and Orko' two-pack has also been announced for next year. Here's the description of the figure:

"With the full Power of Grayskull unleashed inside him, Adam gains a combination of primal rage and all of the power in the universe – the raw fury, the brutal strength, and the unbridled speed of ten He-Men! But without the Sword of Power to temper these mighty forces, Savage He-Man is all strength with no intellect to control it. The barbarian version of our hero leaves his friends wondering if Adam is truly present within the transformed beast, as he tears through Eternia in an uncontrolled frenzy. Luckily, Adam at his core possesses innate compassion, humility, goodness that rivals the Power of Grayskull itself. Only the Prince of Eternia could wield such Power and be both willing and able to relinquish it once the battle is won."

So basically Adam goes full Hulk, kind of hope this makes its way into the cartoon at some point.

Edit: Apparently this is something that’s going to happen in the back half of Revelation.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 12, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

A new 'Savage He-Man and Orko' two-pack has also been announced for next year. Here's the description of the figure:

"With the full Power of Grayskull unleashed inside him, Adam gains a combination of primal rage and all of the power in the universe – the raw fury, the brutal strength, and the unbridled speed of ten He-Men! But without the Sword of Power to temper these mighty forces, Savage He-Man is all strength with no intellect to control it. The barbarian version of our hero leaves his friends wondering if Adam is truly present within the transformed beast, as he tears through Eternia in an uncontrolled frenzy. Luckily, Adam at his core possesses innate compassion, humility, goodness that rivals the Power of Grayskull itself. Only the Prince of Eternia could wield such Power and be both willing and able to relinquish it once the battle is won."

So basically Adam goes full Hulk, kind of hope this makes its way into the cartoon at some point.

Edit: Apparently this is something that’s going to happen in the back half of Revelation.

That definitely solves the problem of "How is Adam going to beat Skeletor now that Skeletor has The Power?" And it tracks with Kevin Smith saying that there's going to be an Invincible-level brutal fight between (Savage) He-Man and Skelegod in Episode 7.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Kevin Smith confirmed it would be a thing during his show this week. He had hoped to keep it a surprise initially from what he said, but after the toy box spoiled it he figured there was no point in hiding it. It sounds like Adam summons the power of Greyskull without the sword, and that's what makes him Savage He-Man; which they based on the initial skethces of He-Man, with a big battle axe rather than a sword and a more barbarian look.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It's now come to light that Netflix ordered 26 episodes of the CG He-Man show, so I can see ten released in wave two and a third wave consisting of six episodes to conclude the whole thing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

He-Man Revelation Part 2 Trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zYDjYKk8kf8

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

He-Man Revelation Part 2 Trailer:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=zYDjYKk8kf8

This looks like it's gonna be a blast.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

“What’re we laughin at?”

Savage He-Man looks cool and based on his line at the end hopefully Orko gets his moment to shine (I saw Teela becoming the new Sorceress coming a mile away though)

Hamill also seems to be channeling a little more Joker energy in his Skeletor performance this time (to me at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 27, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

gently caress. Yes.

I cannot wait. I loved part 1, and part 2 looks fantastic.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Larryb posted:

Hamill also seems to be channeling a little more Joker energy in his Skeletor performance this time (to me at least)

I've always wanted to see Hamill take on "Emperor Joker" and I'm thinking this is the closest we're ever going to get.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
He Man: Find safe positions!
Lady: There are no safe positions!
He Man: Oh there is one. Behind me.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Last Call posted:

He Man: Find safe positions!
Lady: There are no safe positions!
He Man: Oh there is one. Behind me.

Wouldn't be He-Man if it wasn't dripping in inuendo :heysexy:

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I literally don't remember He-Man from when I was a kid despite going as Orko as Halloween when I was wee, but something about that tiny magician still gets me hyped as gently caress and I'm so happy he warrants a trailer close-out line.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I thought Orko got trapped in whatever their version of Hell is in Part 1.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I mean, the not-Skeletor dude he was trapped with is shown in the trailer, so I assume Orko follows him out after the guy escapes that dimension.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

tsob posted:

I mean, the not-Skeletor dude he was trapped with is shown in the trailer, so I assume Orko follows him out after the guy escapes that dimension.

Yeah, Orko traps Scare Glow and transports him... somewhere away from Subternia. He clearly meant to just send him there, but Scare Glow managing to grab Orko meant Orko had to send them both there. The warp effect just happened to be accompanied by a giant explosion that made it look to everyone else that they both died. The show's writers have compared Orko's journey to that of Gandalf's in Lord of the Rings, and Scare Glow is his Balrog. So yeah Scare Glow showing up on Eternia means that Orko is basically coming in right behind him as Oracle.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
While it's cool that Adam can channel the power of He-Man without the sword, it does open up some questions about just what the power is and how it works. If Adam doesn't need the sword, does anybody? Can anybody just stick their hand in the air, shout the phrase and have the power? I presume not, which means Adam has a specific trait for it, but how does he have that? Was he born with it (i.e. genetic or whatever)? Was he fate touched at some point in his life by some magic so that he now can do it? Did using the sword at least once give him that trait? In which case, why not let everyone he knows and trusts do that just once? It doesn't even seem like multiple people channeling the power lowers how powerful each is, because according to the toybox spoilers Savage He-Man is 5 times as powerful as regular He-Man; and that while Skeletor presumably has the power of regular He-Man. So there could be 6+ people running around as He-Men at once without significantly cutting the power each has. Does it mean Skeletor can now summon the power whenever he wants, if it is just "anyone who used the sword at least once can summon the power without it in future"?

If it is a thing that Adam has some innate trait for it then it kind of knocks things back a bit for me, because I just don't find "I had this power from birth because I've always been special" as interesting as "I got this power by chance, and anyone could have been the one to get it". Not that Adam ever had it by pure luck or anything, but the ambiguity of the setting/story as far as I'm aware of it meant that anyone could have been He-Man, not just Adam specifically, and that's just more fun to think about. Not that I have a great attachment to the franchise for it to destroy or anything, but I enjoyed season one and finding out Adam is the only one who could be the real He-Man due to some born trait just seems kind of dull.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tsob posted:

While it's cool that Adam can channel the power of He-Man without the sword, it does open up some questions about just what the power is and how it works. If Adam doesn't need the sword, does anybody? Can anybody just stick their hand in the air, shout the phrase and have the power? I presume not, which means Adam has a specific trait for it, but how does he have that? Was he born with it (i.e. genetic or whatever)? Was he fate touched at some point in his life by some magic so that he now can do it? Did using the sword at least once give him that trait? In which case, why not let everyone he knows and trusts do that just once? It doesn't even seem like multiple people channeling the power lowers how powerful each is, because according to the toybox spoilers Savage He-Man is 5 times as powerful as regular He-Man; and that while Skeletor presumably has the power of regular He-Man. So there could be 6+ people running around as He-Men at once without significantly cutting the power each has. Does it mean Skeletor can now summon the power whenever he wants, if it is just "anyone who used the sword at least once can summon the power without it in future"?

If it is a thing that Adam has some innate trait for it then it kind of knocks things back a bit for me, because I just don't find "I had this power from birth because I've always been special" as interesting as "I got this power by chance, and anyone could have been the one to get it". Not that Adam ever had it by pure luck or anything, but the ambiguity of the setting/story as far as I'm aware of it meant that anyone could have been He-Man, not just Adam specifically, and that's just more fun to think about. Not that I have a great attachment to the franchise for it to destroy or anything, but I enjoyed season one and finding out Adam is the only one who could be the real He-Man due to some born trait just seems kind of dull.

The CG reboot sort of does something like that with the entire gang transforming via the power of Greyskull as opposed to just Adam

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

tsob posted:

We've seen that other people across history have been able to call upon the Power, like King Grayskull and He-Ro, and Wun-Dar in Preternia. Grayskull even tells Teela that Adam was the only Champion to choose their true form rather than their Champion form in Preternia, which again is a reflection of something innate to Adam's character as a person. Who gets to be a Champion and able to call on the Power is still a mystery, but it's definitely not something exclusive to Adam. It's probably something like if you have the Power, you have the Power, period. It's not about the sword, it's about your worth as a person. So they could go the CGI He-Man route of democratizing the Power--because that would basically be the one way to rob it of the allure that Skeletor covets so badly.

E: Hell, in the trailer Skeletor is even like "What gently caress?! Why does Adam still have the Power? This sucks!"

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 27, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

IGN has their review up for Revelation Part Two. Adam's got more focus, but is still largely in a support role, Evil-Lyn and Teela are the stars. Part two also apparently sets up a potential follow-up series with a “new system” in place

https://www.ign.com/articles/masters-of-the-universe-revelation-part-2-review-netflix-kevin-smith

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

IGN has their review up for Revelation Part Two. Evil-Lyn and Teela are the stars

The internet is gonna have fun with that one. I'm just glad I don't use social media or anything, because it'd probably be a poo poo show of dumb opinions. As is, I'll probably have to ignore bits of my YouTube feed for a few weeks as it makes suggestions for poo poo that I don't care about.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also according to Gamespot’s review. Skeletor and Evil-Lyn basically gently caress at one point (I’m not kidding). That’s…something alright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Larryb posted:

Also according to Gamespot’s review. Skeletor and Evil-Lyn basically gently caress at one point (I’m not kidding). That’s…something alright.

Good for Skeletor. He seemed a bit peeved about that lack in his life at the end of the first "season", so that's maybe something good for him.