Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I watched the first episode and it's exactly the kind of stylish camp I wanted. It cribs a lot from the anime but also does its own thing. I ain't mad.

The complaints I've read remind me of when everyone bitched that The Witcher felt like a high-budget Xena, except that having a high-budget Xena based on The Witcher loving rules.

Same, I really enjoyed that 1st episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Eight eps in and I'm still liking it fine. I know that them being kinda loner-ish cowboys was a thing in the anime but I kinda appreciate that they've got much more solid established camaraderie in this show. Meanwhile, in Vicious goofiness:

Vicious' first words to Spike in the anime: "When angels are forced out of heaven, they become devils. You agree, don't you, Spike?"
Vicious' first words to Spike in the show: ---------------------------------------- "Mooshi mooshi?"

edit: Surprise, it was me all along! Me, John Noble!!!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
me high, watching john cho in the first episode: last time I saw this guy, he’s was drawings!

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

folks, i hear watching this drat show gives you the real folk blues! close and goldmine this thread right loving now.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Did not like the first episode at all and won't be watching more.

The writing is really bad and besides some of the scenes on the BeBop everything was visually dull and it frequently looked weirdly cheap.

A slight positive is that I like the cast. Unfortunately they can't save the dialogue they're working with but I think they'd be good choices for these characters if given a better script.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Does Faye sound like an early-2000s Hot Topic t shirt through the whole show?

“If you CHEESE DICKS don’t get your rear end FARTING BALLS in the FARTMOBILE right now, i’m gonna poo poo in your FUCKFACE”

Jet: “drat, who fart in her rear end???”

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

bravo

B-R-A-V-O

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lmao

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

feetnotes posted:

Does Faye sound like an early-2000s Hot Topic t shirt through the whole show?

“If you CHEESE DICKS don’t get your rear end FARTING BALLS in the FARTMOBILE right now, i’m gonna poo poo in your FUCKFACE”

Jet: “drat, who fart in her rear end???”

lmao

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

genius move to cast a nb actor, keep them out of all of the marketing and casting news, then have them do this poo poo https://twitter.com/AwestruckVox/status/1461698018462384137?s=20

the one thing they faithfully adapted was ed. lmfao.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Dongicus posted:

genius move to cast a nb actor, keep them out of all of the marketing and casting news, then have them do this poo poo https://twitter.com/AwestruckVox/status/1461698018462384137?s=20

this is the last scene of the last episode of the season Lol

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://puu.sh/IqcoD/a2e96c0b2d.mp4

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lmao nah that's not real.... right?

right?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTWpzq5Pr7I

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

lolling

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I’m assuming this show isn’t worth a watch then? Also, any sign of Ed out of curiosity?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ed's apparently in it for like two seconds at the very end

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

BoldFace posted:

Space Seinfeld

Pretty much all the interplay between those three in the anime is "Space Seinfeld only more toxic and antagonistic" so that's fair.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gonna watch this tonight, but the clip vibes I'm getting are close to Lexx, a overall bad show with some occasional solid hits. Manic 90s sci-fi energy w/ the editing at least.

Larryb posted:

So I’m assuming this show isn’t worth a watch then? Also, any sign of Ed out of curiosity?

So far this thread is people making low effort posts dunking on clipped scenes, and others making longer posts saying they're ok with it and some enjoying it.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 19, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This being close to Lexx would be good, I think. I'll give the first few episodes a go tonight but I gotta get caught up on Arcane and start Narcos Mexico season 3 first

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Larryb posted:

I'm up to episode 5 and I've actually been enjoying it so far.

I've not seen any sign of Ed thus far, I figure maybe they're saving them for series 2.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Fucker posted:

bravo

B-R-A-V-O

I thought this was a loving edit but it isn't, what the gently caress?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, just started episode 6 and Jet gets a text message from Ed, so Ed does at least exist!

I kind of loved that episode 5 just had Faye & Spike getting so caught up in becoming friends they forgot to chase a bounty as the B-plot.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
I watched the first 20 mins and the way this is shot is so strange. It's like super close up of an actor who says a line, then it switches to whomever they talk to, they say their line and then it switches back. Maybe it's cause of Covid, but this show feels super claustrophobic.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Finished the season. I think it's a decent show at its core that's brought down by sporadic cringe lines--they're infrequent, but when they happen (as posted above), they are extremely high up on the cringe scale. And then the last episode just really blows its load on cringe lines, like, good loving god.

That said, the last episode also takes the main story in an interesting direction with a pretty radical departure from how the original played out (and no, that's not a pun on Radical Edward; don't get me started), so I'm interested to see where that goes.

I like the changes overall; the tying in of the one-off bounties to the main story felt mostly organic, and making the crew friendlier with each other to the point that they sometimes hang out doing friend things and promise to have each other's back was, frankly, a welcome change for me even if that isn't how they were in the anime.

edit: also, honestly, John Noble played a better Vicious than Vicious

edit 2: lol I just looked up the writing credits and all of the most egregious cringe lines I can think of come from the same writer

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 19, 2021

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm a few episodes in and my only real huge gripe so far is the sound mix. Cowboy Bebop music should REALLY override the sound effects and the show reverses it so you can barely hear the music and hear a bunch of sound. It really annoys me as one of the huge draws of the show is how the music interacts with video almost like a music video.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

i must admit I like (episode 6 spoilers) Faye's girlfriend, even if she's only a one-off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
after four episodes here are my character ratings

spike: great

jet: fine

faye: actress good, dialogue bad

vicious: really awful and ridiculous in the worst way

visuals: mostly fine except for when they just kinda do a dutch angle and that’s it

ein: dog! :)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
https://twitter.com/Sisslethecat/status/1461768700680450049

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

that clip :dogstare:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm on ep 2 and I can't help but notice that anime does not translate well into live action. and that first ep started off really rough.

but still, it's not as bad as I thought it would be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Midway through episode 6 and it's fine?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hace posted:

Spoilers
Oh c'mon! A lot of people (myself included) haven't watched the whole way through.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

ghostinmyshell posted:

I watched the first 20 mins and the way this is shot is so strange. It's like super close up of an actor who says a line, then it switches to whomever they talk to, they say their line and then it switches back. Maybe it's cause of Covid, but this show feels super claustrophobic.

The characters all look and act like they're in some stylish space-Tarantino/Rodriguez movie and they're gonna get made to look Real Cool by some slick camera work and editing. but the camera work and editing is extremely boring so it doesn't work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Escobarbarian posted:

faye: actress good, dialogue bad

I'd love to see her in something else. Saying she sounds like a Hot Topic t-shirt is definitely on point.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Tumble posted:

The characters all look and act like they're in some stylish space-Tarantino/Rodriguez movie and they're gonna get made to look Real Cool by some slick camera work and editing. but the camera work and editing is extremely boring so it doesn't work.

Caved and watched the first two episodes, and I think I agree with this. The actors and style are on point, but there's something lacking in some of the camera work. It's stylized with a lot of weird angles, but something about it doesn't feel as cohesive as it should? Suppose when I think of good camera work, Legion and Fargo come to mind. Both season to season have hyper stylized editing in a way that feels unique to that show. Here it feels more scattershot.

I think back to this video a lot when watching action scenes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ. Wish this show was doing more of this than the quick cuts for them, it'd be benefit from it a lot.

That said it seems solid enough so far for a space show.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 19, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Fucker posted:

bravo

B-R-A-V-O

The actual delivery makes it much worse:

https://twitter.com/LuhEasy/status/1461729696329216000?s=20

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

It's kinda weird that they clearly shot stuff with a noir style in mind but then the eventual color grading blows out most of the backgrounds to a medium grey all the time in any dark shots.

But then there's some occasional great noir shots with deep blacks too which makes it more confusing.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.

You know, I don't know who told media people nonbinary = annoying theatre kid but I wish they hadn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

tokin opposition posted:

You know, I don't know who told media people nonbinary = annoying theatre kid but I wish they hadn't

Ed was always an annoying theater kid hth