Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
My comments on meta builds

Drak: Do whatever. Pick an OC you like and go ham.
Hurricane: Fire build meta come and gone in a single patch, RIP. I think 4shots/sec is mostly mandatory or it suffers dps issues when surrounded, an unforgivable sin for the gunner. Most people run it pretty 'clean', with Salvo being the most popular.
Goo: Everyone is still figuring out why to run this over sticky flame, meta hasn't settled yet.
LOKI: Seems to be generally good with many popular builds, but mostly of the 'clean' sort (unstable Executioner counts as clean!). I don't see the explodey or 'never miss' OCs much, as they have bigger downsides maybe.

edit: Reddit is really, really vocal about LOKI's ammo issues for some bizarre reason. It's fine, and I'm pretty sure that's just an echo chamber effect.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I had big problems with ammo on my first day with the LOK but it's fine now, and I have no clue why

found some extra bullets in the couch cushions

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

LOK makes it easy to steal kills from your own turrets, you just have to slow down a bit

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Serephina posted:

Drak: Do whatever. Pick an OC you like and go ham.
Hurricane: Fire build meta come and gone in a single patch, RIP. I think 4shots/sec is mostly mandatory or it suffers dps issues when surrounded, an unforgivable sin for the gunner. Most people run it pretty 'clean', with Salvo being the most popular.
Goo: Everyone is still figuring out why to run this over sticky flame, meta hasn't settled yet.
LOKI: Seems to be generally good with many popular builds, but mostly of the 'clean' sort (unstable Executioner counts as clean!). I don't see the explodey or 'never miss' OCs much, as they have bigger downsides maybe.

edit: Reddit is really, really vocal about LOKI's ammo issues for some bizarre reason. It's fine, and I'm pretty sure that's just an echo chamber effect.

thanks

that sucks i didnt know they nerfed fire rockets guess i should drop the fire perk

i want to like goo but i just like fire to much. i have the subata do more to bugs on fire.

im also trying to like lok1 but i like stubby with electric turrets to much.

i do love hurricane but the #1 selling point for me is when ever theres down time i reload a full a clip for that animation. was in an dd earlier and gunner kept doing that since the driller built a bunker and niether of us could shoot.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Loki has the same problem as you would if you just shot the SMG all day, it just chews up ammo. Mostly I see people use it like it is their only weapon. Engi ammo supply just isn't as good, it's not like autocannon gunner where you can basically just hold the trigger down all mission. Gotta be selective and also use your other weapons.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

I had Pots O' Gold active, so you're drat right I spent an hour mining out a Crassus crater. :colbert:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

snergle posted:

new players are good it means drg gets more money to make the game better

I wasn't complaining.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dogen posted:

Loki has the same problem as you would if you just shot the SMG all day, it just chews up ammo. Mostly I see people use it like it is their only weapon. Engi ammo supply just isn't as good, it's not like autocannon gunner where you can basically just hold the trigger down all mission. Gotta be selective and also use your other weapons.

This. Be very discriminating and think where your rounds would be most use.

Like you don't want to be hammering a Praetorians rear end with a full lock, instead take out over a dozen swarmers in a single lock on scan.

e;
https://i.imgur.com/0mN0Rm0.mp4

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 20, 2021

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

MariusLecter posted:

This. Be very discriminating and think where your rounds would be most use.

Like you don't want to be hammering a Praetorians rear end with a full lock, instead take out over a dozen swarmers in a single lock on scan.

e;
https://i.imgur.com/0mN0Rm0.mp4

lol what made you jump that high? couldnt of been low grav or you wouldnt of died falling.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Looks like the engi RJ45s them

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

snergle posted:

lol what made you jump that high? couldnt of been low grav or you wouldnt of died falling.

It was the other dread twin doing a bursting out of the ground attack.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Comba bud can be shoved in the drop pod, this has been a PSA

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Far more effective than big ceilings, I've found laying down on walls a pattern of "tank traps", as some of the goons I play with have started to call them, works really well.

For some reason the alternating "checkerboard" pattern of platforms with slight gaps seems to really do something to the bug's pathfinding far more effectively than a solid line of platforms in a single layer.

I have a couple of friends who swear by the Bunker (as they call it) strategy. They have the Driller dig the Control Uplink and Fuel Cells (after connection) straight down about 10-15 meters into the ground in a small tunnel, then carve out a cave around it about the diameter of the triangulation zone. The Engineer blocks the first hole, and the Driller then digs a long "escape" tunnel about 45 degrees up until they reach the surface which is where all the bugs will be funneled in an easy shooting gallery.

Works pretty well, but I think it's kind of boring. And yeah, if a Bulk shows up it's bad news but the Driller should have enough time to dig an alternate escape route so a couple dwarves can pop out and distract it or get away and come back.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
Big reason it sucks is because it's so boring

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Sloober posted:

Big reason it sucks is because it's so boring

Definitely. I wouldn't be surprised if Ghost Ship programs a countermeasure somehow in the future since it seems to exploit spawning and pathing algorithms, but for now I only join them when they do it on Elite Deep Dives. Anything else I hang outside the bunker for sweet kills and action while they chide me.

On Haz 3 or 4.

Karl would be disappointed in them.

Also had another friend who wasn't familiar with it but was our Driller and said "that's dumb" and proceeded to just C4 a hole in the ground and said "there's your bunker" while they yelled at him. It was pretty funny to see.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

bunkering on H3 should spawn a bulk

Bunk Detonator

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I just want a mode where only bulk detonators spawn.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kith posted:

Sounds fun tbh. Chance at Crassus and free mining with other detonators? Hell yeah

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
What *are* the outer limits of a DRG map, anyway? I'm thinking you'd hit 'bedrock' at some point, in any direction, right?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

XkyRauh posted:

What *are* the outer limits of a DRG map, anyway? I'm thinking you'd hit 'bedrock' at some point, in any direction, right?

Correct. You eventually hit a vantablack material that cannot be bombed or drilled, and can only be broken with picks. Some players made it their mission to dig through it and eventually found that the terrain generator freaks out after a point, creating massive perfectly square rooms of nothing.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Dig deep enough, you eventually end up here

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kith posted:

Correct. You eventually hit a vantablack material that cannot be bombed or drilled, and can only be broken with picks. Some players made it their mission to dig through it and eventually found that the terrain generator freaks out after a point, creating massive perfectly square rooms of nothing.

that's weirdly spooky lol

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Kith posted:

That's both horrifying and strangely alluring. I'm curious, but terrified!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Finally tried out the Heat mod for the Hurricane after the nerf and wow, they really went too far. Any grunts are dead before you can set them on fire unless you hit them simultaneously with three rockets, Praetorians take way too many rockets to get set on fire now and Mactera with their fire weakness are also still generally dead from the rockets before the fire even matters. Def looking forward to see how they pull back the nerf a bit.

Still a very fun weapon.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I kinda want to get a group together and dig to the bottom of the map. I wonder if Resupply Pods can carve through the black material.

Ciaphas posted:

that's weirdly spooky lol

XkyRauh posted:

That's both horrifying and strangely alluring. I'm curious, but terrified!

If you try it, bring Hoverboots. When I say massive, I mean massive - the fall damage can easily kill you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I really wish there was a way to make Lloyd pour four drinks even if there aren't four dwarves

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hwurmp posted:

I really wish there was a way to make Lloyd pour four drinks even if there aren't four dwarves
Autofilling the buff beers for incoming players feels like a quality of life thing the devs will eventually do. Well, I hope.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Call me crazy, but is the Drak-25's "impact deflection" overclock secretly very powerful? I use it when combined with the "Plasma splash" upgrade and I was able to kill a Praetorion in about five shots by shooting it in the head, it also works well on groups of enemies.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Serephina posted:

Chem rounds is actually really, really good. It triggers an explosion on the target after 3 hits or the critter's death. Meaning If you lock on to 2 or 3 choice bugs in a swarm you can wipe out a big chunk of the entire swarm just from the kabooms. Lock on to low HP targets and you get an explosion for just one ammo! Makes it pretty ammo efficient to use all-around, if you use your secondary for big targets. As a bonus it also makes it really effective against mactera clumps.

https://i.imgur.com/gbXjdtu.mp4

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tombot posted:

Call me crazy, but is the Drak-25's "impact deflection" overclock secretly very powerful? I use it when combined with the "Plasma splash" upgrade and I was able to kill a Praetorion in about five shots by shooting it in the head, it also works well on groups of enemies.

The bouncy bullets one? very. Especially once you get used to aiming at the ground under a bug to hit it in the vulnerables. I'd personally rate it as the best one, byt quite a way. I've tried all the others I think, though not a huge amount for some of them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Fishstick posted:

Chem rounds is actually really, really good. It triggers an explosion on the target after 3 hits or the critter's death. Meaning If you lock on to 2 or 3 choice bugs in a swarm you can wipe out a big chunk of the entire swarm just from the kabooms. Lock on to low HP targets and you get an explosion for just one ammo! Makes it pretty ammo efficient to use all-around, if you use your secondary for big targets. As a bonus it also makes it really effective against mactera clumps.

https://i.imgur.com/gbXjdtu.mp4

What secondary / OC would you use with this, hyperpropellant PGL? (not a fan of that one personally TBH)

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

I use a breachcutter with the plasma trails mod, it's good for big targets and the plasma trails help conserve LOK ammo against swarmers n stuff.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Fishstick posted:

I use a breachcutter with the plasma trails mod, it's good for big targets and the plasma trails help conserve LOK ammo against swarmers n stuff.

It's really great for a variety of uses. I tend to only take the PGL if I think it's gonna be a huge open space with lots of vertical surfaces (salvage in radiation zone or something), the breach cutter is just such a great multipurpose tool from unfucking yourself from an oncoming swarm to killing a bulk. Nothing like spamming 6 shots of it into something you need dead immediately.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I can't help but use anything but Roll Control. Super fun.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Molly lusts for dwarf death. (I was not pressing forwards at any point here.)

https://i.imgur.com/72eIiJj.mp4

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://i.imgur.com/QtaeYKw.mp4

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Is my browser loving up or is that gif at 5FPS

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Kith posted:

Some dwarves just want to watch the world burn.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MariusLecter posted:

I can't help but use anything but Roll Control. Super fun.

OUt and back for me. Does what I need it to most effectively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

heres some good points of the sludge gun i have found vs other driller primaries:

- surprisingly ammo efficient, one normal shot can kill most enemies
- stops exploders more reliably than the cryo gun. they don't explode if they die to sludge, whereas with cryo they have to be frozen before they die to not blow up
- easier to cover a large area than with sticky flames

i cant speak to the efficiency of it damage-wise vs the other two. it's hard to keep track of the initial damage + dot damage over time. I have the goo bomber OC and a clean OC that gives better corrosion damage and pool life time, and i tend to use the latter.

it does seem much worse for killing dreadnaughts though.