Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Malazan had some cool ideas, like from what I remember the magic in the world is all opening up portals to "warrens" or demiplanes of pure aspect like fire or air or whatever, and then you find out there's more esoteric ones like healing, and then you follow the story through the royal line who carved out an empire based on their ability to connect and travel through their warren which is presented as an ash wasteland tasting slightly of metal, and as they travel they come across some bone shards and it's revealed later that it's not a pure plane but the ruins of a civilization that once lived there and instead of creating it they really just sort of stumbled on it and claimed it, and it's clear things still reside there because there are huge slither trails and people disappear every once in a while...

Or the sword that emanates wailing of souls and creaking of wheels when drawn, and when someone is killed the soul is chained to and forced to pull a huge wooden wagon that's slowly being kept ahead of an encroaching tide of dissolution and chaos, containing an original piece of an aspect of the world (or a portal to it?) which is teased and sort of threaded through a bunch of the books.

It's a shame the story's disjointed and the way the ideas are presented isn't that great. A lot of people like the bridgeburners storyline and I hardly remember most of the plot but there are a couple of really well written scenes and reveals - imo not worth reading the whole thing for, but still cool.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Bhodi posted:

Malazan had some cool ideas, like from what I remember the magic in the world is all opening up portals to "warrens" or demiplanes of pure aspect like fire or air or whatever, and then you find out there's more esoteric ones like healing, and then you follow the story through the royal line who carved out an empire based on their ability to connect and travel through their warren which is presented as an ash wasteland tasting slightly of metal, and as they travel they come across some bone shards and it's revealed later that it's not a pure plane but the ruins of a civilization that once lived there and instead of creating it they really just sort of stumbled on it and claimed it, and it's clear things still reside there because there are huge slither trails and people disappear every once in a while...

Or the sword that emanates wailing of souls and creaking of wheels when drawn, and when someone is killed the soul is chained to and forced to pull a huge wooden wagon that's slowly being kept ahead of an encroaching tide of dissolution and chaos, containing an original piece of an aspect of the world (or a portal to it?) which is teased and sort of threaded through a bunch of the books.

It's a shame the story's disjointed and the way the ideas are presented isn't that great. A lot of people like the bridgeburners storyline and I hardly remember most of the plot but there are a couple of really well written scenes and reveals - imo not worth reading the whole thing for, but still cool.

I liked Malazan way more than wot and I read them basically back to back (I finished wot and then picked up malazan, im a glutton for punishment). malazan was cool for the reasons detailed above and wot I finished out of sheer stubbornness. to this day I’m still surprised when I read a book that isn’t 400 pages of walking (most books meet this criteria)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I feel like Malazan's biggest issues outside of the writing style are just the amount of characters. Erikson does tend to focus on a few, but I think even he loses track of what characters in the periphery are supposed to be. Kruppe goes from being a all powerful behind the scenes schemer who has the respect of the older gods to the comedic relief after book 3.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

I'm not smoka, but I'll try my luck anime-posting: I started watching Nichijou, since it was recommended in the dead lowtax thread.
it's fun! and now I know the origin of :same:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bourricot posted:

I'm not smoka, but I'll try my luck anime-posting: I started watching Nichijou, since it was recommended in the dead lowtax thread.
it's fun! and now I know the origin of :same:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bourricot posted:

I'm not smoka, but I'll try my luck anime-posting:

You deserve at least a week off for this

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
nichijou owns

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1461731798447185932

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they wish it was that good

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

I watched "to live and die in LA" last night. pretty great. that guy sure was a huge rear end in a top hat, and it had the courage to not linger on big moments and keep things moving. the end was masterful.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

matthew lillard is ed?

so confused

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

matthew lillard is ed?

so confused
Who else would be?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

paul rudd was not in ghostbusters 4 as much as the trailers led me to believe, i could have used more of him
also the movie does all the things everyone expected it would

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

matthew lillard is ed?

so confused

yes, clearly

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
oh yeah, duh

it's just the last time i saw him was opposite christina hendricks on good girls

being all, "uh, no peg"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

oh yeah, duh

it's just the last time i saw him was opposite christina hendricks on good girls

being all, "uh, no peg"

yeah, i did a double take because i got to used to current matt lillard, too

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I mean it was 1⅝ hilbos ago, he's not doing so bad

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

wow she's had an image change and no mistake!

also I see the new Korean 'HELLBOUND' series has dropped, the trailer looked interesting- anyone had a look yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellbound_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfgm20-LTM

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

NoneMoreNegative posted:

also I see the new Korean 'HELLBOUND' series has dropped, the trailer looked interesting- anyone had a look yet?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellbound_(TV_series)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWfgm20-LTM

this looks great yes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/budrykzack/status/1462166549901586436?s=21

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

duz posted:

yes, clearly

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U9MI0u2VIE

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Truman Peyote posted:

I watched "to live and die in LA" last night. pretty great. that guy sure was a huge rear end in a top hat, and it had the courage to not linger on big moments and keep things moving. the end was masterful.
it's fantastic. there was a great making of doc on the dvd too. Friedkin kept to like 1 or 2 takes to keep the tension up, and also so that he could leave time to get the freeway chase setup the way he wanted

also great soundtrack

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

loll

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Chris Knight posted:

also great soundtrack
:hai:

the last time i visited la i made a point to drive across the vincent thomas bridge blasting "wait" on the car stereo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLmTJLEwss

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

bebop ep1 not THAT BAD but i knew what i was getting into.

7/10 if you're ok with a lot more wisecracking. This will prrrrobably go down as i get into it (yes ive seen the ed clip)

gonna second this take after just watching e01. it's not the anime, but it's not really its own thing, either. lots of tweaking to establish drama for later, but it's 10 hour-long episodes, so that makes sense for pacing. i wouldn't mind quicker cuts on the fighting, or at least sped up footage to give it more intensity

faye always read as a tweaked version of fujiko mine from lupin III, at least initially, and that doesn't seem like it'd fit in the world they're establishing. right now she's reads as a character from a different show, one with swearing instead of barbed commentary

for some reason they're set on fully including the original primary characters, so yeah, i'm sure it'll get flimsy as it approaches anthropomorphic ed with the nuance of the super mario bros. film's character design

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
network execs: thank you for coming in. tell us about this project of yours, this ‘wheel of time’

george, smugly: it’s a show… about nothing!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/TheRichardLewis/status/1462260232076234757

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
Watched the first two episodes of WoT last night. This pacing is much better than the books. The cinematography has been good gorgeous. So far I'm really liking it.

e. Wheel of Time

FalseNegative fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 21, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
u wot m8

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

u wot m8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i watched the first 2.5 eps of the time wheel show and i just got bored. i havent read the books and the characters werent interesting enough to be a game of thrones nor was it fun and campy like a hurcules or xena. borrrriinnnggggg.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i did like the bad guy tho. more bad guys should just revel in being evil cause it makes them more fun.

Convoolio
Oct 31, 2005

Anyone ever read Gemmell? I always thought his books would work better on TV than these massive fantasy series. Stories are more self contained and satisfying than slogging through 10k pages of braid tugging, etc.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i started watching mythic quest and it was only kinda okay and then there was one episode completely disconnected from the rest of the series and it was totally awesome

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

jesus WEP posted:

i started watching mythic quest and it was only kinda okay and then there was one episode completely disconnected from the rest of the series and it was totally awesome

the actual pandemic episode or a different one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Blinkz0rz posted:

the actual pandemic episode or a different one?
the one about dark quiet death