Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Dongicus posted:

is the tviv forum lined with lead or something

this is what happens when you watch netflix produced shows for an extended period of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Watched the first episode and whoo this is really bad. Its really disappointing because i was really looking forward to it. I'll probably finish it eventually.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Dongicus posted:

is the tviv forum lined with lead or something

Lol

Brass posted:

Like it or not, this is easily one of the best anime adaptations out there (unless you count Detective Pikachu?).

oh wow, its the least poo poo something. want a cookie?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

This is the GTA Trilogy: Definitive Edition of anime adaptations.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

An Ounce of Gold posted:

1 ep down and the headline reads: Show's Fun Turbo Nerds Overreact

:hmmyes:

The source material as a 20+ year old anime. There were exactly three ways this could have played out

- something realistic and 'gritty' and nerds would've overthrown the government because they used the character names only
- What we got, something like Sin City where its so close to the source material that certain parts don't work, and when it strays from the source material its jarring
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRy18Euw6W4

the only reason they werent saying get hosed dickface in the original anime is because they couldn't say that poo poo on TV back then.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
I like Ein, the music, and some of the world building so far. Dialog remains annoying and forced. Hope they finally let jet and spike gently caress but my hopes aren't high

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vampire Panties posted:

the only reason they werent saying get hosed dickface in the original anime is because they couldn't say that poo poo on TV back then.

you don't know much about 90's-era anime dubs, do you

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Oxxidation posted:

Or fansubs:

https://youtu.be/YvNxgHTWIlo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

no not really, the original japanese dialog has some coarseness but it never really goes hard in on the japanese equivalent of heavy swearing even though it aired at like 1 in the morning and other tv anime with similar timeslots got away with much harsher language. and the original dub aired on adult swim and was one of the more pg-13 shows on it even at the time.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Nov 20, 2021

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
my favorite phase when anything is badly adapted, is the group of people who come out to say "umm actually it was always like this"

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

That scene with Ed reminds me of The Pest.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Brass posted:

This is like MCU vs DCU levels of batshit opinions.

Like it or not, this is easily one of the best anime adaptations out there (unless you count Detective Pikachu?).
Nerds will always nitpick and bring up useless points like "Uhmm the main character is supposed to have an off-white jacket, not a white jacket, I couldn't watch."

It's okay to like this but come on, people are criticizing the writing, the choreography, the direction, everything about this.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1461737347779903504?s=20

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

I dont! Cowboy Bebop, Akira, and Vampire Hunter D are the only animes i've seen more than once. Maybe Spirited Away?

So as a very much non-anime person, I felt like this was an extension of the first show :shrug:

Endorph posted:

no not really, the original japanese dialog has some coarseness but it never really goes hard in on the japanese equivalent of heavy swearing even though it aired at like 1 in the morning and other tv anime with similar timeslots got away with much harsher language. and the original dub aired on adult swim and was one of the more pg-13 shows on it even at the time.

I don't think I've ever watched the subtitled version of Cowboy Bebop; I got into Cowboy Bebop through this forum :lol: & buying the DVD sets from Suncoast in the mall. I only know the original English dub which was PG-13 on content alone.

This is cool to learn thank you for sharing

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The main fight scene in episode 3 (with face changer dude) felt like it would have genuinely worked better if they just played it at like 1.5x speed. Some of this stuff is just awkwardly slow and it comes off like it's afraid audiences don't know how to look at a punch or kick or something.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

why did they write Faye this way tho

You can't write protagonists in action shows as actual fools, especially when they are wannabee femme fatales that get suckered in by 300+ pound goons who read PUA poo poo.

Faye is the symptom of the biggest sin of this adaption, not knowing the Bebop crew is filled with losers and failures running from either their mistakes or society. The show treats them as the actual archetypes they pretend they are to get through life.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 20, 2021

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Kaewan posted:

Does anyone find the extras in the show hugely distracting?

Yeah lol. The times when it was like they were barely moving or just looking at the camera were just... weird!

This is probably my favorite thing they did with the show. I like that Jet and Spike were more partner-y. Same with Faye.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

:hmmyes:

Get lost! You wouldn't recognize a goddamn nineties anime dub if it jumped out and bite the end of your motherfucking dick!

Pollyanna posted:

This is the same discussion that happens with every adaptation. Something is different (e.g. Spike isn’t young) and it’s “bad”, when in reality it’s neutral and what actually matters is whether you pull it off or not.

It's bad because some of those choices are really stupid or against the core of the character. Forget John Cho being too old, that effects fight choreography here. Think Vicious, Juila, and Faye. Vicious and Juila are just ideas; dreams and nightmares from Spike's life that he is running from or towards despite not being real. They are giant archetypes (The Bad Guy and The Dame Who Got Away) and that's all they are supposed be. They're looming large on Spike's mind and psyche, that's why Spike is on the Bebop and they are just that! The show tries to make them into real people and Vicious into something other than Satan even though there is nothing there and all you end up with is something generic.

Faye is a tough girl boss and unironically "hip and cool," who smokes a room full of people. Her introduction in the anime is her wearing a ridiculously skimpy outfit (which she uses to try and seduce men to no effect, she's too obvious and is as crass as that outfit) in a scene parodying Lupin the Third and while looking cool, failing to kill a single gunman out for her and in fact missing every shot, and getting captured by the big bad who wants to extort an actual talent she possesses (cheating/gambling) with little fuss two seconds later.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 20, 2021

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The one thing I really enjoyed from the show is episode 9, which is for the most part a flashback episode.

And it's painful because while I feel like they just outright dropped the ball and clearly didn't have a budget for the show itself, I really enjoyed episode 9. Cowboy Bebop told a lot of it's story with allusion and never giving the full picture. But I feel like if they did the backstory on Julia, Spike, and Vicious it could have ended up something like episode 9.

What's the reason Netflix cheaped out on this? They've obviously got the money to not make it look like a second tier CW show.

I'm guessing it'll get a second season just from all the people hate watching it so maybe they'll bump up the production values then.

Also the casting for Vicious is just unforgivable. Nothing against the guy but he's just wrong for the part, that wig is horrid, and since somehow pointed out that he's Translucent from the Boys I can't unsee.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Has anyone actually watched the CW? Because this looks far and away better than the CW, actual varied location work and a decent effects budget.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

netflix: adapt a classic anime by making it spy kids but written by joss whedon

goons: I enjoy this :) it's better than fisting myself :) the original also had faye say 'hey SHITFUCKS who's ready to get ASSBLASTED in the FARTZONE'

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Skeletome posted:

goons: I enjoy this :) it's better than fisting myself :) the original also had faye say 'hey SHITFUCKS who's ready to get ASSBLASTED in the FARTZONE'

just nerds being nerds as usual, this is basically what cowboy bebop was always mean to be. a fresh new take for a new era

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Vampire Panties posted:

This is the most incomprehensible take in the thread to me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Skeletome posted:

The irony is the Joss Whedon version of Bebop was really quite decent...

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The pauses between lines and camera cuts are jarring. I assumed at first they shot their parts separately because of covid but then Faye runs in and sits right against Spike.
(I know this is an edit lol but the laugh track is the only change)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mat Cauthon posted:

Also the casting for Vicious is just unforgivable. Nothing against the guy but he's just wrong for the part, that wig is horrid, and since somehow pointed out that he's Translucent from the Boys I can't unsee.

It's always kind of weird to me how hard wigs are to do right. Even in movies with giant budgets it looks like they raided a Party City. Is that the last thing they take care of in the budget so there's never any money?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dawgstar posted:

It's always kind of weird to me how hard wigs are to do right. Even in movies with giant budgets it looks like they raided a Party City. Is that the last thing they take care of in the budget so there's never any money?

That might be it? My understanding is that getting a quality wig isn't that expensive or difficult, but customizing it to look not only good but natural on the person wearing it takes a decent chunk of time and effort that most productions don't bother with because there's an assumption that audiences won't notice or care.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

How hard would it have been to just hire a buff albino samurai. Comon' Hollywood.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Vicious being white is weird to me. Everyone involved in the Syndicate ought to be Asian, the triads and yakuza don’t let white guys in do they?

I always imagined Julia was white though so she gets a pass.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Vampire Panties posted:

hm yeah i think the only reason the original script didnt have epic compound swearing or other whedonisms is because they weren’t allowed to. has nothing to do with sensibility or maturity

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

any time I saw Vicious I could only see Raul Julia (rip) in a white wig.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Xibanya posted:

Vicious being white is weird to me. Everyone involved in the Syndicate ought to be Asian, the triads

Not in America or the West, but in a hypothetical ASIAN dominated solar system society they would; the assumptions are based less on race and more on cultural assimilation and norms. It's not like Spike or Vicious were high ranking members (in the anime...until THINGS happen) anyway, just useful head crackers with a high ranking mentor acting as their father figure.

The ending to this makes me want to groan and do the jack off motion forever. Jesus Christ

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

NutritiousSnack posted:

The ending to this makes me want to groan and do the jack off motion forever. Jesus Christ
drat, it's that good?

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

[watching the rugrats parodying a scene from the godfather]
wow. i love what they did with this. angelica pickles embodies the quiet intensify of brando’s performance with perfect nuance.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
No real opinion on the show, but I wish I was young enough to get angry at people liking a flawed-to-bad adaptation of a cartoon and make low-effort 4chan shitposts insulting their intelligence. I wish I thought that would make me look cool and well-adjusted.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

[watching the rugrats parodying a scene from the godfather]
wow. i love what they did with this. angelica pickles embodies the quiet intensify of brando’s performance with perfect nuance.

when done right it's right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoaCR0mL4Gg

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Martman posted:

drat, it's that good?

they make Julia the villain for no reason

Mumbly posted:

No real opinion on the show, but I wish I was young enough to get angry at people liking a flawed-to-bad adaptation of a cartoon and make low-effort 4chan shitposts insulting their intelligence. I wish I thought that would make me look cool and well-adjusted.

Same, but for people who liked it and who made up the front half of this thread getting furious about THE FANBOYS WHO ARE GOING TO NITPICK THIS!!!

It's okay to hate things.

EDIT:

Martman posted:

I think my main concern is Faye. I absolutely get the need to tweak her, but the Thor 2 mentions planted a seed in my brain and now I can't stop feeling like her character has been turned into generic Kat Dennings Type Person.Down to see how it progresses but I found that to be a real problem that's very separate from "cringe Marvel jokes."

See but that's the thing: there isn't! Her OG outfit? It's TOO hooky in live action and should have been replaced, but the same thing could and should be said about Spike, Jet, and uh...well everyone. One's a cartoon and one is the real world. Faye is crass, try hard failure Femme Fatale who has no idea what she should be doing to actually bewilder men; that isn't a sexist stereotype that's aged poorly or whatever. You can easily adapt her character and a look that's appropriate for it in live-action. They just choose not to and made every women into Girl Boss Spipping Coffee Bacon Epic because they are massive misogynists who don't understand what a Strong Woman actually is.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 20, 2021

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I finished the show because I was recovering from my Covid booster so I did nothing but binge it all day yesterday. I have a lot of feelings about the show. Overall it’s tonally very close to what I expected based on the previews, but I’m surprised how strongly it veered from the plots of the original show while retaining the imagery.

The casting is mostly very good. Mustard Shakir is the standout, for good reason. He did a spot-on Beau Billingslea impression without sounding fake. I didn’t mind the change in his backstory, as it fits right in with his character. The story about his ex-wife’s new husband has been done a million times before, but I didn’t hate it. I wish his ex had been given more characterization. I’m sure she knows he was wrongly imprisoned so we don’t really see why she’s so angry at him. Hopefully a future season pulls from Ganymede Elegy and shows us that he can’t help but be an overly controlling partner. If only his beard didn’t look so unbelievably fake.

I really liked Daniella Pineda as Faye. The writing on her was definitely overbearing, but she made it work. Really felt like a live action version of the same character, except she actually zips up her jacket instead of looking ridiculous at all times. They did the Speak Like a Child reveal way too early though. I literally muttered out loud to myself, “this is extremely unearned”. It works so well in the show because it comes so late, and we get a much starker contrast between young Faye and current Faye. Why the gently caress do they just have a VCR on the Bebop anyway? Seems like recreating the hunt for it in a future season would’ve been entirely in the scope of the show.

John Cho’s Spike is where I can’t quite form an opinion. Cho is a great actor and plays it as well as anyone could, but he definitely seems too old. Maybe it’s the bright blue of the suit, but it just looks like a guy who’s way too old to be cosplaying. He’s a lot chattier and has a lot less of Spike’s idiosyncratic zen nihilism. I absolutely bought him as a fighter and a killer. The age thing doesn’t drive me too crazy because they’re all way too young in the anime for their backstories. I don’t think anyone could’ve done a better job with the writing than Cho.

I don’t even know how to get into Vicious and Julia. They’ve been brought up enough in the thread already so I have little more to add. Effectively they are completely different characters than the anime, which makes sense since they aren’t actually characters in the anime. Vicious looked ridiculous, but I could buy that as the characterization we aren’t seeing in the anime. Julia has absolutely nothing to do with her anime character in any way. I suppose that made sense when we got the huge shakeup at the end. When I was a teenager obsessed with this show, I wanted nothing more than an episode going into the background of Spike/Vicious/Julia. I’m glad the show never did that. Sadly I couldn’t buy any of the relationships though. Vicious is just always a sadistic psycho. Julia never seems to like him at any point. Fearless and Vicious do not have any real camaraderie or brotherly love. Fearless and Julia’s affair is very hard to buy. They hook up literally once before all the poo poo goes down. I do enjoy that Vicious is explicitly a total loser though, since he definitely comes across as a tryhard in the anime. It just would’ve worked better if we had seen his descent into sadism instead of starting him at a 10 and ending him at an 11. And once again, Fearless and Vicious are clearly two middle-aged men acting like young 20-something criminals with a chip on their shoulders.

Julia is just… I have no idea. It’s not the Julia from the anime, in any way shape or form. We’ll have to see what they do with the character in the future, since now I guess she’s the villain for reasons? Who the gently caress knows.

This remake just feels like it stayed way too faithful in the ways that it shouldn’t and changed other things just to be different (or for budgetary reasons). They keep the aesthetic, and the costumes, and the sets, and a lot of the “big” moments. But the tone somehow ends up being much cartoonier than the original show. Instead of pulling from the same cinematic influences that the show did, it instead wants to be a live action cartoon like Speed Racer. But this is low budget Netflix, not the Wachowskis. By cartoon standards, the original show is fairly gritty and realistic. And it manages to breathe despite being jam-packed episodic adventures. The Netflix show is just too clean. The computer effects (like Spike’s ship) look like a GameCube game.

I could keep this post going forever. I didn’t even get into the complete waste of Pierrot LeFou. “He doesn’t like dogs.” YEAH THANKS. Or whatever the gently caress is happening with Ed’s hair. Ed already is supposed to be an extremely cartoony doofus in the actual cartoon. They didn’t tone it down a single iota so it just sucks in live action. I doubt it’ll be so egregious in a possible future season. But OOF.

I’ve been very critical, but all this said, I actually liked it overall. I didn’t hate the tongue-in-cheek tone because it felt like everyone was on the same page at least. I genuinely enjoyed the martial arts action, both in choreography and direction. But shows like Iron Fist had my expectations on the floor in that regard so I was pleasantly surprised. I’m excited for a future season, since it’s varying enough from the source material that I at least get to be surprised. Maybe I’m just such a sucker for Cowboy Bebop that getting to live in even a bastardized version of that world is a nice treat for me.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Nov 21, 2021

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
John Cho looks amazingly in shape and comparable to the character he was cast to play, but lol for expecting the female lead to do the same. Mea Culpa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

MokBa posted:

I really liked Daniella Pineda as Faye. The writing on her was definitely overbearing, but she made it work. Really felt like a live action version of the same character, except she actually zips up her jacket instead of looking ridiculous at all times.

So personality wise nothing like Faye whatsoever? Again: the whole point of her character is that unlike Spike and Jet, and their collective screw ups, she's been forced into her role on the Bebop by the unfairness of society. She has no real idea how to seduce men and that is partly because Faye is a sucker for them and refuses to acknowledge why (she's insanely lonely, wants to stop running and wants a normal life or hope that her old one exists). In a crew of losers, she's the biggest one.

Koirhor posted:

John Cho looks amazingly in shape and comparable to the character he was cast to play, but lol for expecting the female lead to do the same. Mea Culpa

It's not even that. No poo poo in even Hollywood actresses can't possibly capture The Platonic Ideal like a cartoon can, it's that she's literally nothing like her counter part at all.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 20, 2021