Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
The solution to this electrical riddle has to account for the fact that this was previously a switched outlet that someone rewired to be always hot, in the worst way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Blistex posted:

So the lamp's actual switch is closing the entire circuit?

Correct. I can control the porch light with the lamp itself, or by unplugging the lamp entirely.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Pull the switches out of the box and take a picture. Are there any white wires connected to black wires?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Knock out the whole wall imo, just grow some bamboo to divide your habitat from the cold outside

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

THE MYSTERY SWITCH

The offending lights.

The lamp must be plugged in to outlet C (behind couch) and turned on. If you flip switch A, the lamp turns off and the porch light turns on. Switch B will turn the porch light off, but has no effect on the lamp.

My dad's diagram (labels say outlet, wire nut, and porch light). He says "There is no three way switch, just two simple switches. One thing I didn't check is the possibility that the porch light switch might be one that is open when on instead of closed when on. Still don't know what the light bulb has to do with the function, though."

Holy poo poo I'm seeing grounds and neutrals tied together depending on switch positions.

At first glance the problem is that middle line from wire nut to outlet. With the switch triggered you have two legs of a 3 prong outlet tied together.

frodnonnag fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 21, 2021

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Correct. I can control the porch light with the lamp itself, or by unplugging the lamp entirely.

Is the behavior the same with both outlets on the receptacle or just one?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Blistex posted:

So the lamp's actual switch is closing the entire circuit?

Yeah it seems like that outlet is broken or should be pigtailed in because that was my though basically the lamp is acting as a wire for the leg.. if you turned lamp on with no bulb I bet you have the same issue.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grovercontrol?

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

If you solve the puzzle, you get a heart container

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

This escape room sucks

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Ok, I think I've got it.

So, first HelloMyHeart has to get the combination that turns on BOTH lights. That opens the door to Platystemon's chamber.

The trick is in Platystemon's puzzle, the lights are red herring. I know the *light* switches indicate that, and they used a light puzzle followed by a light switch to get you thinking that way, but it's actually the layout that's important.

So really:

A B B B A A
B B B B A A
B C B C A B
A D A A A A
A B B B B A

Hope this helps!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

This is what happens when you let a Concorde flight engineer build his dream retirement home.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
B-36 version

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I won't lie, I've always dreamed of hooking like 10 metal toggle switches in series with the ignition of a car, up on the front of the ceiling, so you have to go flip flip flip flip to activate it like you're in a cool spaceship

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Wrong thread, you're looking for the Perfect Construction thread

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

alnilam posted:

I won't lie, I've always dreamed of hooking like 10 metal toggle switches in series with the ignition of a car, up on the front of the ceiling, so you have to go flip flip flip flip to activate it like you're in a cool spaceship

Make it a meaningful passcode in binary.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Platystemon posted:

Make it a meaningful passcode in binary.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

StormDrain posted:

Is the behavior the same with both outlets on the receptacle or just one?

The outlets behave the same.

I am going to see if my electrical engineer neighbor can come and check it out sometime this week.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

I am going to see if my electrical engineer neighbor can come and check it out sometime this week.

This may not help.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Have you tried setting it to more magic?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Try SCE to "Aux"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The only wires leaving this incestuous mess are in the lower right, correct?

For anything in the system to be powered one has to be hot and the other has to be neutral* in some way (possibly the ground wire because the installer was an idiot).

O.K. but then the switch on the right ought to power the porch light directly, with no funny business from the interior socket or the other switch.

There has to be something wrong with this diagram. It cannot reflect reality. There has to be something like a hidden ground or a buried junction.

*Or the alternate phase of your split-phase service, but that would destroy the bulbs in short order.

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

THE MYSTERY SWITCH

The offending lights.

The lamp must be plugged in to outlet C (behind couch) and turned on. If you flip switch A, the lamp turns off and the porch light turns on. Switch B will turn the porch light off, but has no effect on the lamp.

My dad's diagram (labels say outlet, wire nut, and porch light). He says "There is no three way switch, just two simple switches. One thing I didn't check is the possibility that the porch light switch might be one that is open when on instead of closed when on. Still don't know what the light bulb has to do with the function, though."

i know its the lamest thing for solving a puzzle when you ask for more information but if you could give us a picture of even just the faceplates off the outlet and switches (assuming you ain't wanna have these devices loose) it could be an easy solve from there

e: here's where i'm at, using my troubleshooting experience:
1. switched outlets are a bitch. if they're run with 3 wires (red black and white) it completely fucks up DIY'ers, apprentices, etc.
2. some hacks switch the neutral instead of the hot. you'll get all sorts of wacky poo poo this way, especially if they broke the tabs on the outlet to make only one of them switched power
3. i really want to go try to rig something together with my material to try to replicate this, despite it being 10pm

Extant Artiodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 22, 2021

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

well! i tried following the info given and switched the neutral instead of hot to see what would happen. unfortunately, it just worked correctly. will try a couple more common mistakes tomorrow

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Extant Artiodactyl posted:

well! i tried following the info given and switched the neutral instead of hot to see what would happen. unfortunately, it just worked correctly. will try a couple more common mistakes tomorrow

Man these new ARG puzzles are getting too hard for me to follow.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

8one6 posted:

Man these new ARG puzzles are getting too hard for me to follow.

This is a Myst puzzle. You need to use the thermal lens to look inside the walls to see where a dead squirrel has nibbled the line and screwed up the internal connections.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Ouch, bet you're wishing you kept that Bonding Plant alive, huh?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

This is the content i crave

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
This is amazing and i love you all

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

I think I see your problem.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

That strange guy posted:

I think I see your problem.

:five:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Switch wall is only acceptable if it’s within reach of the lazyboy

Extant Artiodactyl
Sep 30, 2010

i couldn't sleep so i gave it one more try.
https://i.imgur.com/MHNFiMg.mp4
does your system perhaps...behave kinda like this???
i tagged the 'porch light' neutral onto the outlet's switch leg. i'm chalking up the dimming and things not quite matching to OP's scenario to different styles of led's. i don't have an incandescent bulb to play with right now!

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

:drat:

Someone posted earlier a good point about the resistance mismatch between an incandescent and LED bulb being potentially a crucial point

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Crappy construction: unfortunately, it just worked correctly

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

alnilam posted:

I recall this being an anti-theft measure in Fury Road.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean imagine the amount of concrete you'd otherwise need to secure the War Rig

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I recall this being an anti-theft measure in Fury Road.

One... one... two... red... black... go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

i couldn't sleep so i gave it one more try.
https://i.imgur.com/MHNFiMg.mp4
does your system perhaps...behave kinda like this???
i tagged the 'porch light' neutral onto the outlet's switch leg. i'm chalking up the dimming and things not quite matching to OP's scenario to different styles of led's. i don't have an incandescent bulb to play with right now!

It looks like you were able to get both lights on at the same time somehow?

And here's the switch without the face plate. I can't pull everything out bc I can't turn of the circuit breaker while I'm working.

This house was built in 1940, btw.