Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Hibajubwa posted:

My newborn is in the NICU on a ventilator and about to have an MRI.

He had his first helicopter ride at 2 hours old.

The pregnancy was great. It’s our first child and my wife’s body did just fine. No real issues, nothing of merit to worry about… during labor baby kept going into deceleration on contractions. Nothing too severe, but at +20h from water breaking they decided to do a caesarean.

Baby’s heart rate was ~150 and stable right before they wheeled my wife over to the OR.

10 minutes later I watched the nurse put a blue baby on the cart and a team of doctors and nurses performing a resuscitation. CPR + intubation and every siren in the room going off. That room went from 5 calm staff to 20+ people in full chaos mode before I could fully realize the gravity myself.

They flew him over to a NICU with a cooling unit. He just finished 72 hours cooled to 32c, and is now at just about normal temp.

His heart is strong, his O2 sats are good, and he’s consistently over-breathing the vent on his own.

But he still doesn’t move much. He’s reactive to touch and grimaces at being poked and prodded, but otherwise its like looking at the calmest sleeping baby you’ve ever seen.

This is the hardest thing I’ve ever been through. I’m so scared.

eta: My wife is recovering well and is being as strong as she can be.

Oh my goodness, that sounds extremely tough. Hope all goes well in the NICU and that your little fella gets healthy. I can’t imagine going through what you’re going through or what that must feel like.

I also want to say, you’re allowed to just lose your poo poo just to vent off the emotion that has to come with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
My own had a month long nicu stay when she was born, though not quite helicopter bad. Stay strong your baby will get out and be the best part of your life soon enough :glomp:

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Sending well wishes to you and your family, Hibajubwa.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Hibajubwa, I can't fathom the worry and fear you're experiencing. As others have said my thoughts and the thoughts of my family are with you and yours. Please feel free to vent.

My oldest nephew spent several months in the NICU as well when he was born so I can at least understand some of what you're going through.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
It wasn't as serious, but when my wife had some issues immediately following the birth, it was scary but also a little reassuring to see the sudden explosion of weirdly calm/chaotic action from the medical team.

That sounds like an absolutely awful experience. It's one thing to know intellectually how good NICU care and modern medicine are. It's a totally different thing when stuff like your situation actually happens to you personally. I really hope everything works out well for all of you.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

I'm so sorry to hear you are dealing with such a hard and scary experience. Sending all my best wishes to you and your family at this time.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Sending positive thoughts and wishes

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Hibajubwa posted:

My newborn is in the NICU on a ventilator and about to have an MRI.

He had his first helicopter ride at 2 hours old.

The pregnancy was great. It’s our first child and my wife’s body did just fine. No real issues, nothing of merit to worry about… during labor baby kept going into deceleration on contractions. Nothing too severe, but at +20h from water breaking they decided to do a caesarean.

Baby’s heart rate was ~150 and stable right before they wheeled my wife over to the OR.

10 minutes later I watched the nurse put a blue baby on the cart and a team of doctors and nurses performing a resuscitation. CPR + intubation and every siren in the room going off. That room went from 5 calm staff to 20+ people in full chaos mode before I could fully realize the gravity myself.

They flew him over to a NICU with a cooling unit. He just finished 72 hours cooled to 32c, and is now at just about normal temp.

His heart is strong, his O2 sats are good, and he’s consistently over-breathing the vent on his own.

But he still doesn’t move much. He’s reactive to touch and grimaces at being poked and prodded, but otherwise its like looking at the calmest sleeping baby you’ve ever seen.

eta: My wife is recovering well and is being as strong as she can be.

From everything you’ve said, it seems like your baby will have a good outcome. Under ten minutes with a slow heart rate, immediate resuscitation, cooled quickly, and all vital signs looking good… It takes time for people to come around completely, but it sounds like everything was done correctly. Baby brains are extremely plastic and can recover from injury very well. Hopefully when they wean his sedation he will come to. I can’t imagine what you’re going through and I wish you the best.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Sending my best wishes to you and your family. That’s a rough start and I can’t imagine trying to process it. Hoping baby continues to improve.

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
Thank you all for the words of support and encouragement. It’s rough, but he’s going to get better.

I just fed him 5ml of mom’s milk. His first food since birth.

We should hear back on the MRI tomorrow.

Hibajubwa fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Nov 23, 2021

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"

Hibajubwa posted:

Echoing what everyone else said. I'm so sorry what should be a joyous event turned into something so terrifying. From everything you've said it sounds like your son is going to have the best possible outcome, hang in there.

Unrelated question: recommendations for a training potty? We're not planning to start potty training yet (he's 22 months and does not have the communication skills for that to even be a remote possibility) but I thought it couldn't hurt to just have a potty around that he could see, explore and maybe want to sit on for practice.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

IKEA does one with a removable "bucket", which makes for easier cleaning.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
We've had a lot of luck with this:
https://www.babybjorn.com/bathroom/potty-chair/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Whatever one you get, get two, one for the car as well. Keep a plastic bag full of wipes and extra plastic shopping bags in it. Our kids are all potty trained now but it still gets occasional use in an emergency, aka “I didn’t go potty when you told me to try and now I have to go exactly when you were trying to prevent”

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Oh the oxo tot foldable potty is pretty ace. We keep it in our ‘walking around town/excursion’ backpack and it’s been great.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
“Oh crap” book from this thread worked out pretty well for us. It recommends training between 18 and 24 months, with ideal window at 20-22ish. There’s a chapter on reasons behind it, but the basics seem to be an easier time to form a routine at that age.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Turns out, teaching your child "uh-oh!" rapidly goes from "aw cute" to, "saying this word is a license to toss fragile objects in the air repeatedly"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

iv46vi posted:

“Oh crap” book from this thread worked out pretty well for us. It recommends training between 18 and 24 months, with ideal window at 20-22ish. There’s a chapter on reasons behind it, but the basics seem to be an easier time to form a routine at that age.

OTOH we used this book too and while it worked initially, we have, of late, been dealing with constipation and continual, frequent (many times daily) small hard poops in his underwear and wiping his bottom endlessly. We go through more wipes on our 3 year-old than we do with our 7 month-old, because we are quite literally powerless to stop this onslaught of poo poo. My knuckles are cracking because in addition to washing my hands after each wiping, I’m washing my hands during cooking and all the other times you’d expect someone to wash their hands.

Heard here and other places that “early” potty training such as the method this book espouses, can cause issues like this or help cause them. We don’t know if it’s psychosomatic but one or both of our kids at once have been sick with some bullshit constantly for the past three months and we can’t keep them away from the doctor, so though he’s been to the doctor for this constipation, he is not improving even on a prescription laxative. So we will have to get him to the doc again and try to get a GI referral, and our daughter has already been to one for issues with formula.

Just saying, the methods work, but I’m not ready to sing its praises until or unless the correlation and causation can be removed

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

life is killing me posted:

My knuckles are cracking because in addition to washing my hands after each wiping, I’m washing my hands during cooking and all the other times you’d expect someone to wash their hands.

Consider changing soaps, and maybe a foaming liquid soap

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
...drat. Now it seems kid #4 can sleep through the night sans diaper and wake up dry. Is this really the end of diaper use? 13 years of at least one kid using them at least some of the time...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I went back to work today after my six months of maternity leave and it was okay. I thought I might get eased back into it but there have been staffing problems lately so I was thrown in like I’d never left. Usually when someone comes back from a leave they give them four hours to do education and check email (I have 660 unread messages), and four hours to have another nurse as a shadow/ resource in case you forget how to do something or the charting changed while you were gone or something…

Oh well it turned out fine. Baby was up last night every 1-2 hours, then up for good at 3am, tonight toddler is bouncing off the walls, I’m so exhausted.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

7 month old, our first, just slammed hard into a "will only be held by mom" phase and god drat if that isn't kicking me in the gut. I know nothing's meant by it but the last couple nights have been scream fests out of nowhere after she'd been a pretty good sleeper since birth.

anyway that's my venting

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

My 17mo is sleep regressing but has much more stamina than the last time this happened. I might fall asleep before he does

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

Tom Smykowski posted:

My 17mo is sleep regressing but has much more stamina than the last time this happened. I might fall asleep before he does

we parents can cry it out too

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BadSamaritan posted:

During the latest sleep regression we’ve been experimenting with argue it out. Wouldn’t recommend

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
My 23 month old who usually gets through the night fine woke up twice last night screaming “No monkey! No monkey!” There must be something going on with the magnetic fields.

E: and yeah, cry it out no longer really works for him, at least in the 15-30 minute time range. And having him be able to add some “I want mommy! I want daddy” into his sobs definitely makes it harder to resist than back when we first sleep trained and he was pre-verbal.

Eggnogium fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 23, 2021

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

We took the ogre toddler in today for his two year check-up. Little dude's like 28th% in weight but three god drat feet tall. We're also going to start speech therapy for him, with the doctor suggesting we hold back on potty training as well since he can't really communicate it well at the moment. He understands us just fine, he's just not talking.

Also found out that what we thought was teething was actually the start of a double ear infection. At least we have turkeyday weekend to look after him. Also started him up on a nebulizer for his cough which was loving traumatic for all involved.

Tomorrow we have our court mandated zoom call with my daughter at 5.30, the first chance we'll have to see her since fuckface took her for his new expanded possession schedule. Current plan is to shoot him the zoom link a little before the scheduled time to see if he done hosed up again.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Welp, one major milestone done. After having had our daughter in a crib for 3 goddamn years (yes she has outgrown by it now), we finally bit the bullet and converted our home office into a bedroom for her. I blame the pandemic for this - we still really need that home office, but we'll have to make do because she needs some independence.

It was pretty easy to sell it to her as "all big kids sleep in their own rooms", and prepared her well in advance. Last week, we spent a lot of time moving our stuff out of there, and her stuff in. She got to put up a dinosaur poster, and pick her own bed sheets. Bedtime yesterday went perfectly, though it took a bit longer than usual for her to fall asleep. Only one wakeup, at 11 PM, and she went right back to sleep after I came in and reassured her that she is her own bed, in her own room and all is well. Such a champ.

So, the crib gets thrown out of our bedroom tonight, making room for that dresser we really needed! Yay!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

BadSamaritan posted:

nachos posted:

During the latest sleep regression we’ve been experimenting with argue it out. Wouldn’t recommend

Done both of these for sure with varying levels of success

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The song and dance of "kids need their own space" and "we need a place to work away from the kids" is a tough one so I can relate.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

citybeatnik posted:

The song and dance of "kids need their own space" and "we need a place to work away from the kids" is a tough one so I can relate.

If the housing market weren’t even crazier than usual here we’d probably be looking to upsize because hoo boy we did not buy this house with the intention to work here regularly.

I feel bad about the possibility of making our eldest share a room because even though she’s 2.5y she pretty clearly likes and needs to have her own space. Lately she’s been setting up a changing pad barrier under a built in bookcase to keep her baby brother out of her ‘reading’ nook :3:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Timing is everything and we got insanely lucky with ours when we upgraded houses three years ago. Going from an 1800sf ranch to a three story 3300sf with a massive fenced in back yard has made Covid times incredibly tolerable when it comes to the kids. I am very thankful that we are fortunate enough to be in this situation.

For summer/fall/whatever breaks when the kids and wife (teacher) are home I go work in the basement utility area and get left alone. I scored an extra docking station from the desktop team, so I can just plug my laptop in to the main desk in the office or the one I built for the basement.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

BadSamaritan posted:

If the housing market weren’t even crazier than usual here we’d probably be looking to upsize because hoo boy we did not buy this house with the intention to work here regularly.

I feel bad about the possibility of making our eldest share a room because even though she’s 2.5y she pretty clearly likes and needs to have her own space. Lately she’s been setting up a changing pad barrier under a built in bookcase to keep her baby brother out of her ‘reading’ nook :3:

Our initial house we were looking at was the perfect size for the family we had at the time, but the builder tried to screw us over on some stuff and soon-to-be-mrs beatnik told them to go pound sand, leading us to go with our second choice which had an extra room.

And then a week after we signed off on *that* we found out about our son. Dodged the bullet there.

We're trying to get the 5yo tiny tyrant to actually involve the ogre toddler whenever she has playdates over at our place with mixed results. Yours seems to have found an adorable solution though.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

citybeatnik posted:

We took the ogre toddler in today for his two year check-up. Little dude's like 28th% in weight but three god drat feet tall. We're also going to start speech therapy for him, with the doctor suggesting we hold back on potty training as well since he can't really communicate it well at the moment. He understands us just fine, he's just not talking.

Speech therapy is the fuckin tits. My little dude has fuckin snowballed in expressed and receptive communication. We supplement his weekly speech therapy with videos from this youtube channel https://youtube.com/c/SongsforLittlesToddlerLearningVideos

His ST cant technically endose external programs/videos but he HIGHLY approves of the way these are structured and follow the same techniques/strategies he employs during sessions.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

7 month old, our first, just slammed hard into a "will only be held by mom" phase and god drat if that isn't kicking me in the gut. I know nothing's meant by it but the last couple nights have been scream fests out of nowhere after she'd been a pretty good sleeper since birth.

anyway that's my venting

It doesn't end, my 3 year old is in a mood and told me to "leave him alone" while my wife is out to lunch with a friend she hasn't seen since The Before Times. It's also his code for making GBS threads his pants. Five minutes later, he's all smiles ( and poo poo free).

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Had one of those days where making it through with everyone being alive at the end feels like a big win.

Parenting is not for the faint of heart.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
One pro about parenting while sick is I'm too exhausted to do anything but remain calm in the face of tantrums

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Is this the best thread for getting a kid that is a teenage nephew added to your family when you were previously just two plus a toddler?

Because I have a lot of questions about dealing with teens that I didn't think I would have to deal with for awhile, but our nephew moved in a couple months ago because care gave out for him and it is looking like a permanent move.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds sweet, now you have a buddy who will play call of duty with you all day but won't drink any of your beer :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

It doesn't end, my 3 year old is in a mood and told me to "leave him alone" while my wife is out to lunch with a friend she hasn't seen since The Before Times. It's also his code for making GBS threads his pants. Five minutes later, he's all smiles ( and poo poo free).

Going off somewhere to be by oneself in order to take a dump seems to be something of an instinct with toddlers. 4 out of 4 have done it in the sample space of our household.