Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Does anyone watch Dickinson? I've heard little about it but Hailee Steinfeld is solid in just about everything she's in.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Does anyone watch Dickinson? I've heard little about it but Hailee Steinfeld is solid in just about everything she's in.

It's quite good. I like its sense of whimsy -- that said, I haven't had time to start the final season yet.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dickinson is real good. Final season, although shaping up to be the least whimsical so far, is maybe the best.

I watched Wheel of Time ep 2 and it was a bit better plus they explained the One Power stuff. I still don’t really know what’s going on or care though

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Third episode of Wheel of Time was the first that really worked for me, but yeah the storytelling and production is very goofy at times. It feels budget 00:s fantasy in a way the Witcher adaptation somehow escaped (mostly by instead being paced like rear end and having a bad framing device, but details).

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 22, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't think it's trying to be prestige tv like Game of Thrones. It's earnest fantasy. Also nobody is getting raped all the time. The reviews got to watch the first 6 episodes and it sounds promising but yeah the first episode doesn't blow me away.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
God, Succession really is so loving good. This season has been A after A.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It took a while for Game of Thrones to get really good, early season one isn’t exactly great on a rewatch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Plus there is 13 books that are over 1000 pages each. They're doing something like 1.5 books in 8 episodes. Crazy. Even adding stuff from the prequel book.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WoT is somewhere between Xena and GoT, which is a fine niche imo

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

readingatwork posted:

Only watched one episode of each but so far Cowboy Bebop is better than Wheel of Time. Fight me.

A lot of it boils down to the fact that the crew of CB are clearly having fun while WoT is info dumping constantly without ever taking time to let a scene breathe. They also cut out the opening scene of the book (the king doing a crazy) which was super important for setting up the stakes of the story. I’ll give it another few episodes to see if things improve but I’m not optimistic.

E: Also lmao WoT is very frustrating as an adaptation. VERY important things like the One Power, the Dark One or darkfriends are left completely unexplained while [thing that was basically the twist at the end of book 1] is casually infodumped in the first episode. I would DEFINITELY not recommend watching this until after you’ve read the books.

..... :what: the king?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

As I was recently reminded with Dune, everytime I see an adaptation of a book I've read, I'm always like "no one is going to understand what's going on, there's too much left out" but people still go on comprehending them.

Also a big prologue from 1000s of years ago with a whole bunch of characters we're never going to see again, or not for years and years would do far more to confuse the viewer than just skipping it.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

🎶This is NOT the greatest book in the world /
No, this is just a prologue 🎶

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

zoux posted:

As I was recently reminded with Dune, everytime I see an adaptation of a book I've read, I'm always like "no one is going to understand what's going on, there's too much left out" but people still go on comprehending them.

Also a big prologue from 1000s of years ago with a whole bunch of characters we're never going to see again, or not for years and years would do far more to confuse the viewer than just skipping it.

“The world is changing...I feel it in my bones...”

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

“The world is changing...I feel it in my bones...”

OK imagine that opening without any expository narration, then cutting straight to the shire

https://twitter.com/joecastlebaker/status/1462432883088449539

Whoa didn't know Sorkin wrote for Andy Cohen

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 22, 2021

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://www.darkhorizons.com/macgruber-series-sets-december-launch/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Billy Zane's in it? :eyepop:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So, I found out that this show called "Better call Saul" is good. Who knew?

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Kevin Spacey just got a 31 million dollar reminder of what a piece of poo poo he is(fallout from him being fired from House of Cards)

https://www.thewrap.com/kevin-spacey-house-of-cards/

Sekhmnet fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 22, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He's probably got enough money to wiggle out of it, because why would anything be different all of a sudden, but it's nice to see they're actually trying to hold people accountable and not just giving a slap on the wrist. Let's hope it sticks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/xtinatucker/status/1462794761962766347

That's a loving move right there

Esquire has a write up as part of the Matrix junkets going on, but it's also a bunch of his colleagues talking about how cool and nice Keanu is, which is my favorite kind of article.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 22, 2021

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Anyone watching Yellowjackets? I’ve been really enjoying it so far and it seems to ride the line between Riverdale level schlock and actually compelling storytelling pretty well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I was thinking of checking it out, but I don't have Showtime anymore and I can blame T-Mobile for that.

Let me explain.

I did have showtime on a $0.99 for two months deal through Prime Channels and I had Paramount+ for awhile. I cancelled both (because the Showtime promo was running out) and I was going to resub with the bundle of the two and a full annual subscription to save another 16%. Would have been like $12.50 a month for both bundled (for the ad free Paramount+) which isn't all that bad when Showtime itself is $10.99 /month.

Then T-Mobile had to go and give a year's worth of Paramount+ Essential away for free. Though I loathe ads, free is free and I can't justify spending $10.99 /month on Showtime alone and I'm not using Paramount+ enough to pay even $2 for it if I can get it for free.

So, I'll have to wait for another Showtime promo.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Solar Opposites christmas episode is pretty good.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Minor book spoilers: OK so the book series opens with one of the original reincarnations of the Dragon being a king in a castle wondering where his family as subjects have run off to. Then fantasy Satan shows up and reveals that the king had actually used the one power too much and killed the hell out of everyone without realizing it.

This scene is important because it establishes the central conflict of the series as well as the potential stakes for failure in addition to dropping a lot of lore and introducing you to our hero (sort of) and antagonist. It’s also a genuinely chilling scene and I’d have loved to have seen it filmed.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Man I'm all in on Yellowjackets. It's Lost 2.0, I'm ready to be hurt again.

Some of the scenes are just brutal. I cringed when the cauterization scene happened. Felt it in my bones.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The Solar Opposites christmas episode is pretty good.

Thanks for the heads up. I still love Rick and Morty, but there's something so comforting and reliable about Solar Opposites and between the dialog and the visual gags it closes in on that 30 Rock tier of jokes per minute.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I think it just boils down to Korvo, Terry, and the replicants being more relatable characters and the show being less cynical. Solar Opposites is self aware but dumb as poo poo and that's 90% of the charm to me.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It has a lot of the same irreverent "lol we are in a TV show" type humor as Rick and Morty but it's just so much more fun to watch.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Only watched one episode of each but so far Cowboy Bebop is better than Wheel of Time. Fight me.

A lot of it boils down to the fact that the crew of CB are clearly having fun while WoT is info dumping constantly without ever taking time to let a scene breathe. They also cut out the opening scene of the book (the king doing a crazy) which was super important for setting up the stakes of the story. I’ll give it another few episodes to see if things improve but I’m not optimistic.

E: Also lmao WoT is very frustrating as an adaptation. VERY important things like the One Power, the Dark One or darkfriends are left completely unexplained while [thing that was basically the twist at the end of book 1] is casually infodumped in the first episode. I would DEFINITELY not recommend watching this until after you’ve read the books.

You're wrong.

They are 100% also doing the prologue, they'll just throw it in later. (I'm guessing it will be the last scenes in the first season actually, or the end of episode 1 of season 2).

Adaptations are a tricky and this source material is hard as gently caress, and this crew clearly knows what they're doing. CB is a much easier thing to adapt. Like I said, the pilot (with the most notes) was the roughest episode of WOT. Episode 3 is also where they're clearly doing the breathing, and most people consider it to be the strongest. And honestly, you're advice is bad. I'd watch the first season before reading, then read the books.

Also, I don't know what the hell you're talking about them revealing the "twist" at the end of the book at the end of episode one. And they're balancing info dumping everything and letting things trickle out. Episode 3 tells you a lot more about dark friends and the dark one, and the one power has plenty of time to explain more of it. I suspect next episode we'll learn a lot more about male channeling.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

readingatwork posted:

Minor book spoilers: OK so the book series opens with one of the original reincarnations of the Dragon being a king in a castle wondering where his family as subjects have run off to. Then fantasy Satan shows up and reveals that the king had actually used the one power too much and killed the hell out of everyone without realizing it.

This scene is important because it establishes the central conflict of the series as well as the potential stakes for failure in addition to dropping a lot of lore and introducing you to our hero (sort of) and antagonist. It’s also a genuinely chilling scene and I’d have loved to have seen it filmed.

Right. And it will have more impact as a show to have this be a cliff hanger scene when you realize that our hero is the reincarnated version of this person.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Sekhmnet posted:

Kevin Spacey just got a 31 million dollar reminder of what a piece of poo poo he is(fallout from him being fired from House of Cards)

https://www.thewrap.com/kevin-spacey-house-of-cards/
I wonder if this will effect this year's psychopathic Christmas video.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

LionArcher posted:

You're wrong.

They are 100% also doing the prologue, they'll just throw it in later. (I'm guessing it will be the last scenes in the first season actually, or the end of episode 1 of season 2).

I am 100% fine with this if that's the direction they decide to go but I still think the series suffers from this decision. Particularly because what we get instead an actual introductory scene is a voice over version of the text crawl from Star Wars.

quote:

Adaptations are a tricky and this source material is hard as gently caress, and this crew clearly knows what they're doing. CB is a much easier thing to adapt. Like I said, the pilot (with the most notes) was the roughest episode of WOT. Episode 3 is also where they're clearly doing the breathing, and most people consider it to be the strongest. And honestly, you're advice is bad. I'd watch the first season before reading, then read the books.

Also, I don't know what the hell you're talking about them revealing the "twist" at the end of the book at the end of episode one. And they're balancing info dumping everything and letting things trickle out. Episode 3 tells you a lot more about dark friends and the dark one, and the one power has plenty of time to explain more of it. I suspect next episode we'll learn a lot more about male channeling.

The twist was that [spoilered for people who haven't seen the show or read the books]she's looking for the Dragon. If I recall correctly (which I might not be it's been a while) all you know for most of the book is that the three boys are touched by destiny somehow and important to both the Dark One and the wheel. And it makes sense for Moraine to keep this under wraps because while the Dragon is a savior figure a sizeable chunk of the planet looks at the Dragon like it's Hitler 2: This time worse somehow. The Dragon is mostly background lore until the very end where Moraine's true motives are revealed. It's kind of a big deal in the books and it was really weird that it was just kind of dropped in the opening scene like that.

Also, I watched the rest of what's out and I agree it gets better after the first episode. The cinematography is fantastic and there are lots of moments that are pretty good. That said it continues to frustrate me with how much important material is left on the cutting room floor, time constraints being the cause or otherwise. There's just SO MUCH left out that would be really neat to see in a version of this show that was allowed to breathe a little. I'm also genuinely curious how people with no knowledge of the books like it since the way they've been revealing information seems weird and disjointed to me. That might just be because I know this stuff already and it's coloring my experience though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My partner has never read the books and she loves the show so far.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm glad Wheel of Time has already stated that "The Dragon" is like a person and not an actual Dragon because it heads off the disappointment of hearing about something called "The Dragon" being referenced in the background for an entire season and finding out it's just some townie.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

FINE, I'll pay for Peacock.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

coronatae posted:

I watched the Yellowjackets pilot like 3 or 4 times because I liked it so much. Episode 2 was also really enjoyable if not as strong.

I was a little too young for Lost but I totally understand all the hype and theorizing people did back in the day.

It's such an incredible show

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yellowjackets is fuckin awesome so far. I’m so excited for more.

I thought it was very odd when the Wheel of Time pilot starts with Pike explaining the entire backstory and her whole motivation in a big voiceover scene, but after that it goes back to something approaching normal. I’ve watched all 3 episodes so far and I don’t really think it’s for me - far more typical fantasy than GoT’s subversion - but it’s gotten good enough that I’ll keep it going for now. That blonde kid is a really boring actor, though.

Joe Pera update: still lovely and wonderful. Succession update: still the show of the year, operating on another freakin level. Curb had its weakest episode of the season so far but it was still fairly funny. Netflix Bebop got progressively worse and the finale was largely bad. The Great s2 rules. Gonna watch the Solar Opposites special in a minute. Hooray!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Sarah is the most fascinating character in Joe Pera Talks To You. Is she schizophrenic?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Escobarbarian posted:

Yellowjackets is fuckin awesome so far. I’m so excited for more.

I thought it was very odd when the Wheel of Time pilot starts with Pike explaining the entire backstory and her whole motivation in a big voiceover scene, but after that it goes back to something approaching normal. I’ve watched all 3 episodes so far and I don’t really think it’s for me - far more typical fantasy than GoT’s subversion - but it’s gotten good enough that I’ll keep it going for now. That blonde kid is a really boring actor, though.

WoT book one is more typical fantasy than the later books. It doesn’t get as subversive as Thrones but it does go beyond the typical tropes more. Robert Jordan was in the Vietnam war and his experiences heavily influenced his writing of WoT.

I heard recently from a journalist that WoT sits in the middle between LOTR and GoT in terms of pushing beyond typical fantasy. It’s also been said WoT helped pave the way for other authors to further subvert the genre. (Though Glen Cook’s Black Company was doing it before practically everyone. But he wasn’t nearly as well known).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watched the pilot of Yellowjackets on the recommendation of the thread. Holy poo poo, that was intense. So much happened. I know The Wilds is meant to be more YA than this but Yellowjackets blows it out of the water.