Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm building an outdoor cat shelter, and I'm going to shingle the roof. It's just a simple shed roof, and if I mess it up horrible and the whole thing rots, the stakes are low. But is this video good basic advice on shingling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQPEEtWGKU

I also found this guide that talks about drip edge on the top edge of the roof as well as roofing cement, so my intuition tells me that between these two guides I've got a pretty good chance of roofing my ~10 sqft of roof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

An excellent video.

You don't really need to measure & snap-line. Get your starter course straight and eyeball it.

Put your drip edge close to, if not right up against, the plywood deck, before nailing. The gap he leaves underneath may get filled by fascia for a soffit on a regular house roof, but you're probably not installing that on a cat shed. Consequently, that gap will invite nest-building insects. The kick is enough to keep runoff away from the structure.

You also don't need to cut the first course of upside-down shingles for your starter run; just lay 'em on & nail them, then start your first regular course on top of them.

On the sides: Watch your roof deck edges vs. the tab slots. Avoid skinny tab cuts on the overhang, they tend to tear off. You want at least 3"-6" of shingle tab at each side.

Watch where he's nailing: just below the glue line Do not nail into, or above, the glue line. Your shingles may already have a line printed on them. If so: that's where the nails go.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 23, 2021

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm building an outdoor cat shelter, and I'm going to shingle the roof
Completely unrelated to your question, but is this a winter shelter for random feral cats passing by? That's seem like a cool thing to do but around here I'd expect it to be just a random critter shelter and not cats specifically unless there's some trick to it

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah, we've seen 2 cats in our backyard already. We're in the middle of the city so not a lot of wildlife otherwise, I've only ever seen one racoon (but maybe more come out at night when I don't see). I'm using these plans as a starting point, and we'll see how it goes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

We're in the middle of the city so not a lot of wildlife otherwise

That depends on if your definition of wildlife includes vermin or not, which will love this.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Lots of squirrels, like I said I've only ever seen one raccoon but maybe I'm just not out when they're active. I've seen possums about a mile away on a bike ride. And of course there are always mice (but they're happy with the grass seed in my garage :imunfunny:). I also picked up a smart camera that I should be able to point at it and see what's using it. I guess if it turns into a raccoon piss palace or whatever I'll have a very expensive bonfire.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

hell yeah piss palace bonfire

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

peanut posted:

Home Zone: hell yeah piss palace bonfire

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Happy Thanksgiving folks. I would like to thank one of these threads for telling me that the express mode on the Bosch dishwasher is worth using and actually gets dishes clean in 30 minutes. I have a feeling today is going to be a 4 load day.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

H110Hawk posted:

Happy Thanksgiving folks. I would like to thank one of these threads for telling me that the express mode on the Bosch dishwasher is worth using and actually gets dishes clean in 30 minutes. I have a feeling today is going to be a 4 load day.

I might have mentioned that as it's a great feature I like for mine.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

H110Hawk posted:

Will it have problems cleaning at all, or should I just use it all other time unless I have some particularly bad pot?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
It definitely left a bit of suds in the bottom and on one or two dishes. I don't know if it uses more or less power / water than regular, and it totally skips any drying.

Would say it's more reliable to use regular but I'm not inconveninced by express. I gave a giant bowl and a plate a little rinse in the sink today. Did 2 express and 1 regular today with 4 plates and a platter leftover.

We do auto overnight every day so it doesn't matter how long it takes.

NoSpoon
Jul 2, 2004
We went away for a week and left the in-laws at our place with the kids. They ran the quick wash all the time. Got back to the drain being halfway clogged with fat. I think there’s just not enough heat in the quick wash to properly clean it out, need to do a full wash at least now and then.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My Bosch has the Speed60 1 hour wash with dry and it's all I ever use. Only use soap to the minimum rung also and it's great.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Bosch I had to special-order in August because only the ADA-compliant model will fit under my low cast-marble countertops ... sob! sob! has not even made it on the boat, and the appliance guy says he doesn't know when it will. Bosch doesn't give him any notification at all until he suddenly gets "Yeah, it's on the boat." . This is totally fair and reasonable given all the current crises, but we just did Thanksgiving with no dishwasher and it was hell.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Halp my yard is burning

e: controlled burn on adjacent public lands

brugroffil fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 26, 2021

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

brugroffil posted:

Halp my yard is burning

I recommend gathering your family and pets and going to visit a family member

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Fwiw, even my GE portable dishwasher does a killer job on its 45-minute quick cycle. I think the quick cycle is actually what they expect you to use. Something about the EnergyStar rating or max water use is based on a normal cycle, so they can design quick cycles for more power and water usage?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

From what I understand, normal cycles in modern dishwashers save a lot of water and energy by pausing a lot to let the water soak in, rather than constantly spraying the gently caress out of everything. IME they clean just as well as the quick cycle too so it's probably best to use normal cycle unless you're actually in a hurry

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

dunno if there's a better thread for this, but does anyone have opinions about electric fireplaces?

my wife wants one and I'm not sure how to evaluate them

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

pmchem posted:

dunno if there's a better thread for this, but does anyone have opinions about electric fireplaces?

my wife wants one and I'm not sure how to evaluate them

What are your needs? I'd evaluate on what I'd want it to do, looks? Heat? Something else?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

falz posted:

What are your needs? I'd evaluate on what I'd want it to do, looks? Heat? Something else?

Heat. She'll be picky about the looks, but that's her domain. I don't have strong opinions on them, but figured I'd see if goons had thoughts since there are Very Strong Opinions on things like dishwashers here (informative, of course!)

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

pmchem posted:

Heat. She'll be picky about the looks, but that's her domain. I don't have strong opinions on them, but figured I'd see if goons had thoughts since there are Very Strong Opinions on things like dishwashers here (informative, of course!)

Heat wise electric is pretty energy efficient vs gas so that's always nice

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

w00tmonger posted:

Efficient vs gas? I mean gas is way more efficient if we're talking $$

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Heat pumps are more efficient. Not sure the same claim can be made about resistance heaters with fake fireplace effects. Maybe, but call me dubious.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

falz posted:

Efficient vs gas? I mean gas is way more efficient if we're talking $$

Are they? Maybe I missed something but I was pretty sure electric was substantially less to run

https://www.hamiltonhomecomfort.com/gas-versus-electric-fireplaces/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

w00tmonger posted:

Are they? Maybe I missed something but I was pretty sure electric was substantially less to run

Well holy poo poo, color me surprised.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

w00tmonger posted:

That article is being disingenuous, though. I'd imagine most people want the heat provided by most electric fireplaces, not blinken lights:

quote:

a gas fireplace is significantly less efficient than an electric one. It requires a lot more fuel to create the flame and keep it going versus the pennies per hour that it costs to run the LED lights in an electric fireplace.

If you actually turn on the heating elements in an electric fireplace, it will be as costly to run as your typical space heater. At least right now in most areas, natural gas (and even propane) is far cheaper per BTU than electricity. If you just want the appearance of a fire with no heat, sure, but might as well just use the TV tuned to a 800 hours of fireplace Youtube video.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

substantially less to run but also substantially less heat - the article compares 25-30k btu for gas to only 3-9k electric

electric is probably fine for a small apartment or living room if it’s just supplementing a real furnace or radiators

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

hypnophant posted:

substantially less to run but also substantially less heat - the article compares 25-30k btu for gas to only 3-9k electric

electric is probably fine for a small apartment or living room if it’s just supplementing a real furnace or radiators

that's basically our use case. it'd be for a living room, partially decorative, but also for extra heat in winter. we keep the house at a reasonably low energy-efficient temp with the main furnace.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

pmchem posted:

that's basically our use case. it'd be for a living room, partially decorative, but also for extra heat in winter. we keep the house at a reasonably low energy-efficient temp with the main furnace.

depending on where you are in the country, and the square footage of your house, it might still be worthwhile to have a gas fireplace - in my first apartment in buffalo, having an (insert, surrounded by the original but now non-working wood fireplace) gas fireplace meant we could keep the thermostat lower than would be comfortable otherwise, use the fireplace to heat the living and dining room where we spent most of our waking time, and end up saving a little money over the winter. if you’re in california or something though it’s definitely not worth it and yeah just pick whatever electric looks nice in the showroom

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
99% of all corded indoor electric space heaters/fireplaces use about 1500 watts producing 5k BTUs of heat regardless of form factor. Resistive heat is 100% efficient so any differences will be aesthetics and controls so focus on those.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

dont plug it into an extension cord is my advice

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Insulated my garage over the holiday, and am piecemealing the drywall to cover the walls :toot:

Any secret tip for hanging drywall on a wall solo? I think right now the rate limiting factor to hanging the rest of it will be my partner's night shift schedule :rip:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I want to run network cable through a few parts of my house just from the basement to the 1st floor. My home was built in 2004, nothing unusual about design or manufacture, typical up to code layout. 2 stories sitting on top of a concrete tub basement.

The server / router etc is in a basement closet. The basement is half finished / half unfinished but with suspended ceiling tiles so incredibly easy access across the basement roof and into the 1st floor areas above.

Most of the videos I have found so far for running cable start out with fishing cabling from the attic down, given that I am not running anything to the 2nd floor this seems like a looooot of extra effort. Is there a good article / video series / or just general tips on running cables without having to start tearing out large drywall sections etc? I am unsure if I can for example drill up from the basement into a wall or not. I presume this would only be possible for interior walls.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

That Works posted:

I want to run network cable through a few parts of my house just from the basement to the 1st floor. My home was built in 2004, nothing unusual about design or manufacture, typical up to code layout. 2 stories sitting on top of a concrete tub basement.

The server / router etc is in a basement closet. The basement is half finished / half unfinished but with suspended ceiling tiles so incredibly easy access across the basement roof and into the 1st floor areas above.

Most of the videos I have found so far for running cable start out with fishing cabling from the attic down, given that I am not running anything to the 2nd floor this seems like a looooot of extra effort. Is there a good article / video series / or just general tips on running cables without having to start tearing out large drywall sections etc? I am unsure if I can for example drill up from the basement into a wall or not. I presume this would only be possible for interior walls.

Follow the phone wries, and if you're a futureist, replace them.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Do what HootTheOwl says, you might be able to just run new cable in existing holes.

You can either drill up from the basement or down through the wall. Drilling up is easier imho. If the wall you want to run cable to has any electrical coming up from the basement, that should give you an idea of where you'd need to put your hole. Ideally, I'd run ethernet in the next stud bay over from an electrical outlet that is wired from the basement, that way you can figure out where the stud is that the receptacle is nailed to, measure 12" over, then cut your wall hole. Then, go downstairs, find where the electrical is going up into the wall, move 12" over from there, drill your hole. Run your fish stick from the basement hole into the wall cavity and you should be able to grab it and fish the wire from the basement up.

If you have no electrical going from the basement into this wall you could get one of those long flexible drill bits and cut your wall hole then drill down through the wall plate into the basement. You just need to have a general idea of what is below where you are drilling. Make sure you have a drill with a handle attachment because if your bit gets caught in something suddenly it will definitely try and wrench the drill right out of your hands (I definitely did not discover this through personal experience, nope). Personally not a fan of this method because the flexible bits are a bit delicate and are harder to control.

And as always, run two cables to every drop, even if you only think you need one there.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

Resistive heat is 100% efficient

This is true. It's also true that a heat pump can heat your house at 50% the energy use of resistive heating in moderate climates. I find this terminology unfortunate.

(I don't think you can get a heat pump fireplace insert, BTW)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Do what HootTheOwl says, you might be able to just run new cable in existing holes.

You can either drill up from the basement or down through the wall. Drilling up is easier imho. If the wall you want to run cable to has any electrical coming up from the basement, that should give you an idea of where you'd need to put your hole. Ideally, I'd run ethernet in the next stud bay over from an electrical outlet that is wired from the basement, that way you can figure out where the stud is that the receptacle is nailed to, measure 12" over, then cut your wall hole. Then, go downstairs, find where the electrical is going up into the wall, move 12" over from there, drill your hole. Run your fish stick from the basement hole into the wall cavity and you should be able to grab it and fish the wire from the basement up.

If you have no electrical going from the basement into this wall you could get one of those long flexible drill bits and cut your wall hole then drill down through the wall plate into the basement. You just need to have a general idea of what is below where you are drilling. Make sure you have a drill with a handle attachment because if your bit gets caught in something suddenly it will definitely try and wrench the drill right out of your hands (I definitely did not discover this through personal experience, nope). Personally not a fan of this method because the flexible bits are a bit delicate and are harder to control.

And as always, run two cables to every drop, even if you only think you need one there.

cruft posted:

This is true. It's also true that a heat pump can heat your house at 50% the energy use of resistive heating in moderate climates. I find this terminology unfortunate.

(I don't think you can get a heat pump fireplace insert, BTW)

Excellent, thanks! This is helpful.

I also have baseboard heaters and was initially planning to look at the routing for those to follow from the basement up but those pipes go through the floor itself instead of into the wall. Phone lines I kinda forgot about. There's only a few in the house though so I gotta see if they are run in places that make sense. One spot I want to wire definitely does at the least which is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I fixed up an antique Dearborn gas heater I got at an estate sale and the small thing is rated at 48,000K BTU, which is the same as my houses furnace output. :stare:

E: it's ventless and an emergency backup. I'm not planning on using it regularly but that was it's intended use case back in the day.