Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

While it's not required, most E1.S drives utilize a full drive enclosure and heatsink (in some cases a massive heatsink)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

WhyteRyce posted:

While it's not required, most E1.S drives utilize a full drive enclosure and heatsink (in some cases a massive heatsink)

Malventano said that enterprise drives are made to different specs. Active temperature is much higher, power off temperature is a bit higher, and their endurance rating is calculated out differently.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Best Buy has the 1tb m.2 San disk ultra for 79

Lots of good deals right now. There's the 1TB Intel 670p for $85, for one. NVMe storage is, along with DDR4, rapidly dropping in price right now. Every couple weeks there's a new omg amazing best deal. It's nice, though high-capacity SSDs aren't dropping in price as much as I'd like, which is a bummer. I want someone to give me an excuse to throw out all of my SATA drives.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Nov 24, 2021

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I installed a new SSD and I'm trying migrate my Win11 installation to it. I tried Niubi, but when I boot from the new drive, I get a black screen with cursor and nothing else. Every software I've googled wants money and Macrium is way over my head.

Is there any simple and free software to this?

Edit: gave up and bought AOMEI.

Metanaut fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 24, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Lots of good deals right now. There's the 1TB Intel 670p for $85, for one. NVMe storage is, along with DDR4, rapidly dropping in price right now. Every couple weeks there's a new omg amazing best deal. It's nice, though high-capacity SSDs aren't dropping in price as much as I'd like, which is a bummer. I want someone to give me an excuse to throw out all of my SATA drives.

There's a new WD approaching $100 per TB @ 4TB. The first red nvme, $470.

https://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-SN700-Internal-Devices/dp/B09H1M6ZRT

But that's not a sale price, and I see it went out of stock overnight. It's available on WD's site, though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Metanaut posted:

I installed a new SSD and I'm trying migrate my Win11 installation to it. I tried Niubi, but when I boot from the new drive, I get a black screen with cursor and nothing else. Every software I've googled wants money and Macrium is way over my head.

Is there any simple and free software to this?

Macrium's really easy, you just need to know what to click. Once you run it you'll see your disks listed like this:

You can ignore the partitioning for the most part unless you can't fit all the stuff from Disk 1 onto Disk 2, click your boot disk and click "Clone this disk..."

The Clone popup looks like this, when you click Select disk to clone to you pick your destination disk for the image from the list that pops up.

Then there's a wizard that lets you know it's going to wipe that disk, everything will be gone, then it asks if it's a backup you want to schedule (you don't), then click Finish as soon as you can with the "Run this backup now" option selected. It will then spend time imaging from one disk to the other. When it's done, shut down, and remove your old disk. Attempt to boot from the new disk. 9 out of 10 times it has worked for me with that process and I do HD to SSD and system to system images every month or so.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Malventano said that enterprise drives are made to different specs. Active temperature is much higher, power off temperature is a bit higher, and their endurance rating is calculated out differently.

Yes but the concern seems to be slapping a full length heat sink to cool the controller will drop the NAND below it’s spec’d temp and cause data retention issues? And the retention at rest thing always seems like something client consumers seem to worry more about than necessary. There probably doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of scenarios where you are buying big hulking expensive gen4 SSDs and then leaving them in a powered off host for many weeks at a time

I agree a big giant heat sink or cooling solution isn’t needed though, but that’s just because all you care about is the controller hitting that throttle threshold

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 24, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I live a mile from Best Buy so I am itching to go over there, but I already have a 1TB and 256GB m.2 sata that I'm not using at all, a 1TB m.2 nvme in my T480, a 128GB m.2 nvme in the same laptop, a M.2 SATA 512GB in my other laptop, an 128GB m.2 in a desktop, and a small handful of 256GB/512GB SATA 2.5" drives just sitting.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Trying to decide between a Samsung 980 pro and a WD SN850. I've been pretty satisfied with Samsung and know nothing about WD SSD drives. Are they generally pretty reliable and recommended?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ryde posted:

Trying to decide between a Samsung 980 pro and a WD SN850. I've been pretty satisfied with Samsung and know nothing about WD SSD drives. Are they generally pretty reliable and recommended?

They're reliable, and were the most frequently recommended brand ITT until a month ago when they pulled a fast one by changing out drive components to lower-spec without updating the model #. So now they're in the doghouse a bit.

But that was the SN550, not the SN850. The SN850 is fine. Get whichever is cheaper between the 980pro and that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

ryde posted:

Might I offer a third option? https://www.techpowerup.com/review/kingston-kc3000/

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Probably only if ryde wants to wait a few weeks, since that just came out and seems to have very limited availability (and silly expensive price) at the moment.

OTOH there's also the Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus, also a phision E18 powered drive like that kingston and is far more available -- only $160 for 1TB.

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

I’m suspicious even RAID 1 might slow down two NVME’s. Sounds like hardware raid cards maybe can’t keep up but the built in chipset software raid should be able to handle it ok? (Z690, 980pros at 4x PCIe 4.0) Could run up to 4 of them but the chipset only supports 0/1/5 for nvme’s not 10 :saddowns:

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A lot of Crucial drives on sale on Amazon:
https://smile.amazon.com/deal/987407b1?showVariations=true&ref=dlx_black_gd_dcl_img_28_987407b1_dt_sl7_5d

A couple of Samsungs:
https://smile.amazon.com/deal/49f13f09?showVariations=true&ref=dlx_black_gd_dcl_img_29_49f13f09_dt_sl7_5d

The big deals usually tend to be on BF or Monday but these are lower than normal prices in some cases.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Gen 4 Corsair MP600 Core (QLC drive), 2TB for $220: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Sequential-High-Speed-Interface-Heatspreader-dp-B08TB1D2WC/dp/B08TB1D2WC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

That would make a good PS5 drive, which is a use case where the downsides of QLC don't really come into play.

The TLC version is $250 for 2TB: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Sequential-High-Speed-Interface-Heatspreader-dp-B07SNGBW84/dp/B08TB1D2WC/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

Lots of good deals on 2TB drives, plenty of sub $200 ones for Gen 3 drives. No great deals on 4TB NVMe drives, though the SanDisk Ultra is $300. I wanted to go SATA-less, but I guess I'm getting this because NVMe drives aren't price-competitive at this level of capacity yet. It's finally time to say goodbye to the last of the spinning rust in my system.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 26, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

If I don't need a new drive atm (got the 2TB SN550 recently), a gen 4 upgrade probably isn't gonna be worth it for the OS speeds (or future directstorage stuff), right?

I guess the other question is whether these prices will last. Of course, it's BF now, but I saw articles predicting prices falling a while ago because of oversupply (resulting from an undersupply in the early COVID days).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Except during extraordinary times like the last couple years, prices on storage always trends downward, and it's been that way for all of computing history. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Unless you have a specific workstation need, no. Regular humans will see absolutely zero difference going to a gen 4 drive.

As for how the prices will go, historically this is when the cartel starts to cut production and let prices soar. The chinese nand fabs are starting to come online though, so maybe the cartel will have less free reign to stomp peoples wallets. I don't see the prices going up drastically in the short term.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

No great deals on 4TB NVMe drives, though the SanDisk Ultra is $300. I wanted to go SATA-less, but I guess I'm getting this because NVMe drives aren't price-competitive at this level of capacity yet. It's finally time to say goodbye to the last of the spinning rust in my system.

Another one, SATA 4TB WD Blue for $290 at Best Buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-blue-4tb-sata-2-5-internal-solid-state-drive/6385535.p?skuId=6385535

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Found an older Crucial SSD laying around in my computer parts box, but I couldn't install Linux to it, or even format it. It's still under warranty so I'm excited to see Crucial is going to RMA it. Probably bought it from a goon or something so I hope they don't ask for a receipt.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

So I recently bought the WD Blue WDS200T2B0A 2TB SATA SSD to replace a very aging Intel 330 240GB SSD and I'm kind of disappointed in the WD performance. I cloned the drive with True Image and it was pretty painless but when first booting into Windows and testing it out it seemed a little sluggish. I wanted to verify that I wasn't imagining things so I ran a benchmark with Crystal Disk and the random read/write speed on the WD is significantly slower than the nine year old Intel drive. Both drives were on the same SATA port.

I thought about returning it but a better drive like the Samsung EVO is out of my price range and something like the Crucial MX isn't better than WD. Any thoughts?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Former Human posted:

So I recently bought the WD Blue WDS200T2B0A 2TB SATA SSD to replace a very aging Intel 330 240GB SSD and I'm kind of disappointed in the WD performance. I cloned the drive with True Image and it was pretty painless but when first booting into Windows and testing it out it seemed a little sluggish. I wanted to verify that I wasn't imagining things so I ran a benchmark with Crystal Disk and the random read/write speed on the WD is significantly slower than the nine year old Intel drive. Both drives were on the same SATA port.

I thought about returning it but a better drive like the Samsung EVO is out of my price range and something like the Crucial MX isn't better than WD. Any thoughts?

I have one from 2019 and it performs pretty dead on with old reviews in CrystakDiskMark. Slightly better actually, but reviewers were looking at 1TB drives. So unless they've downgraded it recently and nobody's noticed yet, I'd guess something local.

You should probably check the sata cable to make sure it's fully seated & has no tight bends, or even exchange it. Sata cables are sensitive. And make sure windows hasn't decided to fall back to safe settings after the clone, like disabling write caching on the drive or something.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The cable is fine and write caching is on. Looking at other results on UserBenchmark shows that this drive is unpredictable with the random read/write results. Some are as lackluster as mine and some are more than twice as fast.

I don't know if it's a slightly different model or firmware or what but I feel a little cheated.

https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/961967/WDC--WDS200T2B0A-00SM50

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Former Human posted:

The cable is fine

How do you know?

No, really, one of the things about SATA is that it checksums packets and resends them when the receiving side detects an error. This means a noisy cable can function well while limiting performance due to how much SATA bandwidth is getting eaten by retries. (Also since iirc it's only CRC32, the chance of a missed error is reasonably real - run like that long enough and you'll probably experience some data corruption.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I have horrendous boot times on my new pc. OS is on a new 2TB SN550. Fresh install, not a clone. On my previous pc, with a 1TB WD Blue SATA, I'd see the login screen within seconds (the loading animation would rarely play). My current boot time is over a minute (I timed it).

I disconnected all my USB and SATA devices, but that hardly made a difference. I turned on "ultra fast" boot in the BIOS. And that cut 15-20 seconds, but that's still way slower than my previous SATA drive.

Any ideas what's up?

e:timed my laptop's boot time, which has the same Blue SATA SSD but half the capacity. Windows login screen showed up in 11 seconds.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Dec 1, 2021

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

I have horrendous boot times on my new pc. OS is on a new 2TB SN550. Fresh install, not a clone. On my previous pc, with a 1TB WD Blue SATA, I'd see the login screen within seconds (the loading animation would rarely play). My current boot time is over a minute (I timed it).

I disconnected all my USB and SATA devices, but that hardly made a difference. I turned on "ultra fast" boot in the BIOS. And that cut 15-20 seconds, but that's still way slower than my previous SATA drive.

Any ideas what's up?

Where does the extra time seem to be happening? Is the little circle animation playing the whole time?

Since this is a new install I'd look at stuff like whether you have missing drivers for some hardware. Install your chipset drivers, that type of thing. Also make sure your BIOS is set to UEFI only for booting.

Former Human posted:

The cable is fine and write caching is on. Looking at other results on UserBenchmark shows that this drive is unpredictable with the random read/write results. Some are as lackluster as mine and some are more than twice as fast.

Is your plain sequential transfer test in crystaldisk 550 MB/s or higher? Can you post a screenshot of your results?

All modern SSDs have some varying performance results in operation, particularly when you've recently done large write operations (like install or clone an OS). They self-optimize in the background so performance returns to the expected range over time. Review outlets testing SSDs will actually wipe the drives with the internal erase functions to get a totally clean data map, in between things like testing artificial benchmarks and real-world data.

But the thing is, you are absolutely not able to "feel" the difference between a fast rand4k result and a somewhat lower (but still within normal bounds) rand4k result. Your normal use of the OS is not heavily randomized data access. Unless there is something actually wrong with the drive (or cable) such that random access latency is so bad that it's perceptible, or there is something wrong with the OS after the clone, you may be fooling yourself.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

Where does the extra time seem to be happening? Is the little circle animation playing the whole time?

Since this is a new install I'd look at stuff like whether you have missing drivers for some hardware. Install your chipset drivers, that type of thing. Also make sure your BIOS is set to UEFI only for booting.

All my drivers should be up to date because I've been trying to solve another issue with the motherboard (Intel wifi/BT module doesn't work).

The little circle animation is where the extra load time is. On my laptop, the boot is fast enough that it doesn't even appear. I think the initial black screen period is a bit longer too, but it's only like 5 seconds (which adds up, but is minimal compared to the windows boot).

I have the CSM (compatibility support module) support disabled, which according to the manual means only the "UEFI BIOS boot process" is supported.

I'm getting a replacement motherboard because of the wifi issue. Do you think I should do anything differently this time round? Should I format the drive and do a clean windows install?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Rinkles posted:

All my drivers should be up to date because I've been trying to solve another issue with the motherboard (Intel wifi/BT module doesn't work).

The little circle animation is where the extra load time is. On my laptop, the boot is fast enough that it doesn't even appear. I think the initial black screen period is a bit longer too, but it's only like 5 seconds (which adds up, but is minimal compared to the windows boot).

I have the CSM (compatibility support module) support disabled, which according to the manual means only the "UEFI BIOS boot process" is supported.

I'm getting a replacement motherboard because of the wifi issue. Do you think I should do anything differently this time round? Should I format the drive and do a clean windows install?

This sounds like the type of issue I would probably do a format and clean install

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

Oh, if a piece of hardware is broken that could also be the cause of the slow boot.

Rinkles posted:

In disk management, is your "EFI System Partition" also on the SN550 drive? If so, you should be good to move it over to a new mobo and hopefully that'll fix both problems.

If not, that means windows got confused during install and is booting across drives. (This used to happen all the time and was the reason for the "pull all drives other than your intended system drive during install" advice.) You'll want to fix that either by clean install or repair.

VVV edit: it's less of a problem these days -- if you have the target drive set as the boot drive in the BIOS, windows will get that info directly via UEFI. Previously with old BIOS booting it was a bit of a crapshoot because windows could only see the SATA1, 2, 3 etc order.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 1, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Klyith posted:

In disk management, is your "EFI System Partition" also on the SN550 drive? If so, you should be good to move it over to a new mobo and hopefully that'll fix both problems.

If not, that means windows got confused during install and is booting across drives. (This used to happen all the time and was the reason for the "pull all drives other than your intended system drive during install" advice.) You'll want to fix that either by clean install or repair.

Yup. I made sure not to have any other drives connected when installing Windows because I heard that can cause issues.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Just an update, uninstalling the wifi module and its drivers, resulted in a pretty quick boot. However, Windows automatically reinstalls it (which I know you can prevent with a group policy), so after that all boots are back to being a minute long. I restarted a few times to confirm.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Rinkles posted:

Just an update, uninstalling the wifi module and its drivers, resulted in a pretty quick boot. However, Windows automatically reinstalls it (which I know you can prevent with a group policy), so after that all boots are back to being a minute long. I restarted a few times to confirm.

Sounds like you've found the problem, then: Windows is waiting on that busted wifi module as part of the OS load process, and it's taking a long time because of the hardware failure. Given that, I'd think the motherboard replacement should address your issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yes, and disabling instead of uninstalling it gets around windows reactivating it. But the replacement should be here soon anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you disable the card in the BIOS?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't see that option.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62753-nvme-ssd-designed-for-audiophiles/#comments

:eyepoop:

Dumb as it is, I'm actually impressed they designed something custom rather than rebranding a generic drive and just saying it's audiophile grade

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

repiv posted:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62753-nvme-ssd-designed-for-audiophiles/#comments

:eyepoop:

Dumb as it is, I'm actually impressed they designed something custom rather than rebranding a generic drive and just saying it's audiophile grade

Holy lol I hope that 5v power connector is just a dummy jack that doesn't go anywhere. Otherwise some audiophile is gonna plug an ancient 1980s unregulated AC-DC brick into it (because wire-wound transformers sound cleaner, they're analog!), and send 7v into their PC's 5V line because with near-zero load the transformer overshoots.

No, wait, I hope it isn't a dummy and that's exactly what happens. :v:

Funniest part: it has the realtek crab logo on it, which by rights should be a -5 penalty to audio quality for audiophiles

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Music coming from the femto drive is simply cleaner and more precise, both leading and trailing edges of sound waves seem to be preserved better, it offers more detail... overtones and acoustics have more 'colors' if you know what I mean, low end control is better.
My initial overall impression is that music appears louder (in fact I did dial the volume knob a click back, which is 1 dB on the Khozmo shunt I'm using). Music definitely has more weight when coming from the femto drive!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Replace some connecting wire with a straightened wire hanger and test again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Idk what all that poo poo it all about, but I've definitely used laptops that made an audible noise when accessing the ssd.