Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

He sold the rights a while ago. He sold the game and show rights to get back the rights for the comic only, so any show or game that comes out will be unconnected to him.
he's still a consultant (and signing copies) on the new EWJ game, but it's also only on the intellivision amico so no one will care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I know that pain. I saw Batman in the theatre when it first came out in ‘89. During the boardroom scene where Joker confronts the mob bosses, one of the dons says “What’s with the stupid smile?” Except he didn’t say that when I first saw it. He said “What’s with the poo poo-eating grin?” I know I’m not misremembering because it was the first time I ever heard that particular turn of phrase. But I’ve never heard that version again, nor even seen any reference to it. Nearest I can figure, I saw an odd copy with an alternate take left in, but it’s haunted me since.

That might have been a thing with different sound mixes depending on the theater's stereo setup. Sometimes alternate takes get in that way.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The 7th Guest posted:

it's also only on the intellivision amico so no one will care

The Intellivision Amico is going to be this decade’s punchline like Nokia NGage was and I’m all for it

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Watching Season 2 of the New Animaniacs, I do think the quality is more even overall but I do appreciate they did an entire Duck Amuck callback using digital tools.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

The Intellivision Amico is going to be this decade’s punchline like Nokia NGage was and I’m all for it

So much about that is lol like that apparently it's not an accident that it literally looks like goatse.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of animated movies....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zrgbA3FMVE

The Totally Spies movie is up on YouTube officially. :v:

I never knew there was a movie, and I am morbidly curious.

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

i think it's kind of an extracanon origin story. it's so fun, just fully high camp animé. there's a darth vader reference. we see the spies' (identical) moms. here are some real publicity photos with the actual late director of chanel karl lagerfeld, who voices the villain (original fr dub only)

https://twitter.com/Archive_Of_Alex/status/1263505213131980803?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm genuinely impressed they tried making the catsuits in real life.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm genuinely impressed they tried making the catsuits in real life.

And they got so close.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Hey, what the gently caress was 'extinct"?

It's one of the most baffling things I've seen in ages.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

eggs

an egg fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 19, 2022

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
A dude I dated for a minute had a working relationship with Bakshi and they had met at the dude's house on a couple of projects. He was described as huge, gruff and surly. While I was over there, I was always a little terrified Bakshi would show up and yell at me.
That's a very sweet and supportive tweet.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That's the same reason my brother and I refused steadfastly to ever go to Toys R Us, we were terrified Geoffrey would show up and hug us

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I just went to Disney Springs and there was not one scrap of Luca merch. Very disappointing and homophobic.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did you check the second floor?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

The_Doctor posted:

I just went to Disney Springs and there was not one scrap of Luca merch. Very disappointing and homophobic.

How have they not made plushies of those fish from the beginning

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think Luca kinda got swallowed by the pandemic in general.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
If you want Luca merch the art book is a good buy. In addition to looking fantastic it’s really interesting to see how the story evolved over time and why. My favorite detail is how one of the core group (it used to be 4 kids, not 3) was determined to be redundant (correctly imo) and got switched up to being one of Ercole’s goons.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLmLmyo36pM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYrKYETorM8&t=90s

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Saw Encanto today. I really liked it, the animation was very pretty and the songs were a lot of fun. The visuals DURING the songs were especially good. I really liked the designs of all the supporting cast, I think Mirabel ends up being the least interesting, especially next to Bruno, Camilo and Dolores. During the "We Don't Talk About Bruno" song, I loved Dolores' little dance, and Camilo's stuff about Bruno.

I had two specific issues with the ending:

The first one is what I expected to happen and was really hoping wouldn't. Mirabel ends up not getting a gift and her whole thing is just that she brought the family together or whatever. Like she ends up saving the day but still. I thought at first they were actually gonna flip my assumption on its head and have everyone else lose their gifts instead. Which would've sucked for the kid who had his for all of like 2 days but whatever. But instead once everyone without their gifts rebuilds the house and Mirabel puts the doorknob on, the magic comes back and everyone gets their gifts back... but MIRABEL STILL DOESN'T GET ONE. Why does she not get a gift?? The only other person who doesn't get a gift is Abuela and she sucks poo poo the entire movie so I'm okay with her not getting one. I thought for sure the fact that she sees a vision of the house crumbling was gonna be leading into her actually have a gift all this time that's similar to Bruno. But no she just got a vision once for some reason? Give this girl a magical gift you lovely house. Edit: the house/her family does not count give her flight or telepathy or something idk

The other thing concerns Abuela. She's pretty terrible the whole movie but especially to Mirabel. And in the end she finally apologizes to Mirabel and accepts her. I thought for sure the resolution was gonna be Abuela realizing how lovely she's been and that will lead to the hug. However before the hug happens, Mirabel starts going on about how actually Abuela is great and this family would be nothing without her and blah blah and it wasn't really her fault and I absolutely HATED that. Maybe it's because an Abuela just isn't a thing in my life so I have less patience for this grandma who was lovely the entire movie but it was her fault the house was crumbling and the magic was going away and I didn't like the ending trying to take away from that fact.

Edit: The scene where the secret slowly makes its way around the table was a lot of fun though. Just a lot of great visual humor, especially when Camilo doesn't put his face back together right.

Oh yeah and there was a short film before the movie. A little animated short about some Racoons. It was cute.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 26, 2021

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mirabel's gift was emotional intelligence and conflict resolution skills, which is honestly the most useful gift if all. She'll make bank as a therapist.

Enchanto was a good movie that made me laugh and cry, go see it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just got the home theatre + giant projection screen set up and (as is tradition) inaugurated it with The Lion King.

The more time goes by, the more I have to remind myself what it was like to see this beast for the first time in 1994. The facial animation putting human expressions on animal faces was just next-level even for Golden Age Disney, as were the 3D effects which I only notice in retrospect now that the whole industry has moved to CGI, like the camera rotating around Simba during the interrogation at the end. I think it was the first Disney feature to specifically call out supervising animators and their animation teams assigned to specific characters in the credits, and that practice didn't even stick for too many more years, but that right there is what set me off on this lifelong quixotic fascination with animation — the idea of these individual superhero pencil-wielding wizards, each with a spotlight shone on them where their performances are raised to the level of top-billed stars.

And now that it's been nearly 30 years we've seen where those superstars' careers have taken them, often in wildly different directions. I convinced myself back in the day that I could see similarities between each animator's characters in each of the subsequent movies they did — Mike Surrey (Timon) doing Clopin, Alex Kuperschmidt (Shenzi) doing Koda — and you can definitely pick up some design "tells" but others were probably wishful thinking. I notice that Ruben Aquino's style is noted as "easily recognized by his powerful figures and his extremely geometric facial movements", but what was weird about this watch was that I was distinctly unimpressed by most of the Adult Simba animation — at least compared to absolute magic like Andreas Deja's Scar, which only impresses me more and more the more time goes on. Next to that a lot of Aquino's stuff seemed weirdly variable and awkwardly put together, and weighting and walk cycles seemed rushed and clumsy. But what I wish I'd noticed all these years was Jim Baxter, whose effortless yet ultra-subtle gymnastics on Rafiki should have marked him out for the crazy-go-nuts career he would go on to have as a Richard Williams-esque savant of insane 3D visualizations, to be brought in as a ringer to do climactic scenes on shows that can only afford one kill-you-with-beauty sequence of traditional animation before they get cancelled. It's blindingly obvious in retrospect how impressive his work is even in comparison to other stuff in the same movie, but it's all so low-key that you hardly notice how difficult his assignments were and how easy he made them look.

Anyway all this rambling aside, I just have to say that probably the most depressing thing about the 2019 remake is how all of the pop-culture-riffing texture of Timon and Pumbaa's humor was completely lost, in a way that it almost feels like it doesn't even translate or can't be captured in modern scripting. The whole final scene with them is just a string of disparate, disjointed movie quotes and Arsenio Hall whoofing, strung together by nothing so much as the feeling that you're watching a raucous ad-libbed table read in real time, or an MST3K episode. As much as the first ten minutes of the movie's dialogue is a dense fruitcake of nonstop observational gags about cat behavior and wildlife documentary injokes, carefully winnowed down through intense comedy workshopping and script rewrites until there's not a single wasted word, there's something about Timon and Pumbaa's repartee that feels utterly free-and-easy, like a couple of your Friday night buddies just shooting the poo poo and quoting movies back and forth at each other. There's nothing like either end of that in the remake and it feels completely, overpoweringly lifeless.

Having read the original development scripts (https://sites.google.com/site/disneylionking1990script/) and seeing how dull and stilted and awkward it could have been (with a weird focus on one-on-one fight scenes and lion kung-fu that I doubt would have even translated to the screen without being utterly baffling), I feel like one of the greatest miracles in animation was how the multi-year rewrite and refinement process started with something that would have been unwatchable and finally resulted in something so razor-sharp when it came out that it's even more impressive to me now than when it stomped me through the floor in 1994 and set my life on a different course, and which every change to it since then, big and small, has only detracted from it. Certainly there's an element of confirmation bias and of rose-colored glasses and all that, but watching it again now after not seeing it in years just makes me want nothing but to write long garbled posts about it just like it did thirty years ago, and that will never stop astounding me.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Decided to give Tear Along the Dotted Line on Netflix a shot and I sincerely think it's one of the better shows of the year. It's got a really relatable and fun take on life as a human being and does a really good job balancing comedy with the more heavy subject matter it occasionally dips it's toes into. Plus it's interesting to see this sort of slice of life content from an Italian perspective. I highly recommend checking it out.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do remember Adult Simba being probably the least interesting character in the movie, visually and personality wise.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I mean, it tracks. Hamlet himself is an inactive bore 99% of the play.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Having read the original development scripts (https://sites.google.com/site/disneylionking1990script/) and seeing how dull and stilted and awkward it could have been (with a weird focus on one-on-one fight scenes and lion kung-fu that I doubt would have even translated to the screen without being utterly baffling), I feel like one of the greatest miracles in animation was how the multi-year rewrite and refinement process started with something that would have been unwatchable and finally resulted in something so razor-sharp when it came out that it's even more impressive to me now than when it stomped me through the floor in 1994 and set my life on a different course, and which every change to it since then, big and small, has only detracted from it. Certainly there's an element of confirmation bias and of rose-colored glasses and all that, but watching it again now after not seeing it in years just makes me want nothing but to write long garbled posts about it just like it did thirty years ago, and that will never stop astounding me.

This is actually a lot more common than you'd think. In fact, big animation studios like Disney usually have quite a few early drafting rounds built into the process with the explicit goal of getting creators to experiment with radically different ways of telling their stories. You'd probably be surprised at how many of your favorite movies were snatched from the jaws of mediocrity this way.

Also: Taking this opportunity to post the early animatics of Luca again which was pretty much an entirely different movie at the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-8dCcblBAY

(I still want an animated series based on these. There's some fun ideas there that could be fun to explore in a longer format.)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

I mean, it tracks. Hamlet himself is an inactive bore 99% of the play.

Everyone else's life would have been better if Hamlet had just told his dad's ghost to get bent and blown off his revenge plan.

That doesn't really have anything to do with what we're talking about, but that's always bugged me about the play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Everyone else's life would have been better if Hamlet had just told his dad's ghost to get bent and blown off his revenge plan.

That doesn't really have anything to do with what we're talking about, but that's always bugged me about the play.

I mean, Hamlet's uncle is 100% plotting to murder/exile him and has been inviting foreign spies into the court to secure his throne, its not a "well I guess Claudius has been a very good boy so one murder is ok"

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

You're probably right, but then there would probably be no conflict, and thus no play.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Barudak posted:

I mean, Hamlet's uncle is 100% plotting to murder/exile him and has been inviting foreign spies into the court to secure his throne, its not a "well I guess Claudius has been a very good boy so one murder is ok"

All royalty sucks, and judging by the rest of the play Hamlet not getting the throne is the lesser of two evils if not an outright a net gain for the rest of the country. That dude SUCKS at making choices and should not be in a position of power.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Claudius constantly trying to assassinate a good natured Hamlet who just wants to help his uncle

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eont_yEGZs

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

readingatwork posted:

This is actually a lot more common than you'd think. In fact, big animation studios like Disney usually have quite a few early drafting rounds built into the process with the explicit goal of getting creators to experiment with radically different ways of telling their stories. You'd probably be surprised at how many of your favorite movies were snatched from the jaws of mediocrity this way.

That doesn't surprise me at all. I know that TLK had a protracted and difficult birth, but I have to imagine most of them went through a similar process. Still, I have to acknowledge that it was among the first (THE first?) time they had tried coming up with a brand-new feature-length story out of whole cloth in ... ever? Nearly everything up to that point had been an adaptation of a preexisting story, even if the end result was a major reimagining with very little in common with the source material, be it Sherlock Holmes or Hans Christian Andersen or Lloyd Alexander or Harriet Beecher Stowe. The closest they had come was what, The Rescuers Down Under? It seems like small wonder they settled on a Hamlet/Tezuka mashup as the direction to take, even if unacknowledged; at least it was familiar territory that way.

What's crazy about seeing the early drafts though is that a) they didn't have any songs, and b) they didn't have any comedy. Just a lot of Land Before Time style ponderous sentimentality / meaningless sequential adventure stuff, and what humor there was was just "lol funny South African accents and speech impediments which are written in painfully explicit dialect in the script". There is such a root-and-branch reimagining that happens between that and the finished product that it may as well be a completely different project; the whole thing is hugely and relentlessly funny just in its baseline narrative, both verbally and physically, and that serves to set off the emotional weight of the heavy parts all the better. The writing process is something I feel like I know less about the more I learn about it, because even just knowing that there's a kernel of commonality with the original idea (e.g. "lions in Africa") doesn't mean a thing against the fact that every single letter of the actual script was changed beyond recognition.

Was the Allers/Minkoff contribution something along the lines of "storyboard-driven" versus "script-driven"? I know that's something they talked about at the 2004 panel discussion I attended with them and Katzenberg and a bunch of the animators; it sounded like that was kind of a new approach they were trying in the late 80s/early 90s (Ren & Stimpy were already lampooning it at the time), and the way those two were leaping around the stage and riffing on each other and bouncing jokes off each other constantly throughout the panel, it seemed like that was the only way it could have gone. I couldn't imagine those guys even sitting still for ten minutes, let alone typing out a whole script without leaping up and cartwheeling around the room.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ehhh, Hamlet's crazy plan didn't kill anyone that Fortinbras wouldn't have gotten around to.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Fortunately, we now have a way to know just what could have happened.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thought it would be a good time to bring up my favourite animated kids show, Bluey. They are dropping episodes of a new Season 3 in Australia (where it’s from).

I got turned on to it from the parenting thread and tbh I like it just as much as the kids if not more. The design and animation are just fantastic with some beautiful interstitial moments. Tons of little details and Easter eggs packed into most episodes too. Fantastic voice acting too with the kids being overall amazing.

Anyway Season 3 has some of the best animation in the series so far with the “Omlette” episode really impressing me with all the egg gooeyness.

If you have Disney+ it’s on there (not S3 yet) and worth checking out an episode or two even if you don’t have kids! A couple great Christmas episodes too so far.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

We were exposed to Bluey when we visited our friends who had kids and they were like “you have to watch this the kids love it but it’s extraordinary” and they showed us Sleepytime and I’m sure the rest of the show can’t really keep up that quality because it was amazing. Definitely worth a watch of at least that one.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Boxman posted:

I’m sure the rest of the show can’t really keep up that quality

:wrong:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Yeah Sleepytime is amazing, and the entire show is really quite good. Definitely transcends the whole show for kids thing. The amount of detail lends itself to rewatches too.

I listened to a podcast (yes I listen to a Bluey podcast, yikes) where they talked to the guy who does the music and he was talking about how they do certain motifs at certain times across a season and it queues up for when they have a big moment. The main example was how they used the motif from Holzt’s Jupiter when the parents are expressing love towards the kids and then in Sleepytime the music kicks in at a certain point and your brain subconsciously just feels it, it’s pretty wild.

My fav character is the neighbour who is just known as “Lucky’s Dad” (Bluey’s friend Lucky - the dad’s name is revealed to be Pat at some point) who is up for anything with the weird games the kids/parents are playing. He’s goddamn hilarious.

My wife works for a public broadcaster who has a children’s show department and they tried to get it on the channel/website before it blew up but then Disney+ came and snatched it up :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Watched Luca and it... exists. I dunno, I feel nothing towards it. Probably not the target life-experience demo.

Schwarzwald posted:

Ehhh, Hamlet's crazy plan didn't kill anyone that Fortinbras wouldn't have gotten around to.

If the King of Norway reclaims his vassalship of Denmark as Claudius is maneuvering, a looooot more people are going to die given that Danish independence was achieved during that kings lifetime.