Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I'm getting into modding the game myself, I've been playing with this vfx mod called fire and smoke for ship and module explosions and I can't play the game without it any more, capital ship fights especially become absolute eye candy. Only problem was it wasn't fully updated for cradle of humanity or the 4.10 aoe damage so I had to fix that myself. Check it out

https://www.nexusmods.com/x4foundations/mods/788

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Oh, wow, that totally changes the feel of it. Good call getting that up and working for current.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I love the internet. Second post "Why should there be fire and smoke in a vacuum?"

one because it's cool, two because space doesn't stop fires when you BYOO (bring your own oxidizer)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is a really good mod yeah, glad you fixed it up, I also struggle to play the game without it, reallty makes everything look better.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
It's actually just effects from x Rebirth that were removed from 4 for performance reasons. But it looks very good. Will murder your framerate if you fight a lot of drones.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My framerate is murdered no matter what I do.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
egosoft's twitter says tomorrow we get the first look at the new pirate expansion :yarr:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh neat, wonder what they're adding? They've never really had much in the way of mechanics for piracy afaik so could be interesting.

Would be nice if they also added some unclaimed/lawless space too, would be good thematically and help the rest of the game too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm curious if it's just going to be adding more to the pirates in the game already to make them into proper factions rather than NPCs that might as well just randomly spawn to harass your ships every so often, or if it's going to be aiming to make piracy into a viable career path for a player (or maybe both). The black market in the game really could use expanding upon because it is fairly profitable if you do the leg work to open up a bunch of black market buyers, but it kind of sucks that none of the black market goods really feed into the economy in any way. And I've never really found it very useful to actually like, try to intercept NPC traders and steal their poo poo, since actually unloading all the stolen goods often involves having to issue a ton of manual orders to have a ship come and pick it up then haul it off to a buyer somewhere, and is something that just isn't viable to do once you get to the "empire" stage of the game (plus the reputation hit you get from preying on NPC traders tends to make whatever cash you did make just not worth it).

Either way it's a segment of the game that has a lot of potential to be expanded upon so it's interesting to see what they'll do with it.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 25, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9jpH_1gOBg

The space yacht with the big interior and the cube eating station look interesting. Possibly some sort of salvaging mechanic?

E: yes salvaging apparently!

quote:

Third expansion for X4: Foundations to be released in Q1 2022
Extraordinary new ships, new economy and gameplay elements will surprise X4 players
Captivating new stories will challenge the perception of social order and justice in the X universe
Extensive free 5.00 update to feature a series of new capital ships, numerous new interiors, and AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution (FSR)

EGOSOFT today unveils the next chapter in its long-running space simulation franchise. X4: Tides of Avarice is the third expansion for the latest game in the series, X4: Foundations. X4: Tides of Avarice will be released for PC (Windows, Linux) in the first quarter of 2022.

>> Watch the X4: Tides of Avarice - Reveal Teaser <<

Meet new factions and experience their stories
Encountering and interacting with previously unknown, lawless pirate and scavenger factions, will challenge your perception of social order and justice in the X universe. In new sectors and dangerous regions, you will not only discover new ships and stations, but also encounter stellar phenomena that will significantly influence your plans and actions. What is it all about, and who are the mysterious manipulators that have learned to master a rare and vital resource? Your journey will lead you towards the answers. Set out and discover a new chapter of X4: Foundations.

Let new ships terrify and enchant you at the same time
Roam through the Windfall and Avarice systems, and discover numerous new ships from the pirate and scavenger factions of X4: Tides of Avarice. Among other new ships, you can look forward to the following highlights:

The Erlking, a terrifying pirate battleship with an experimental and unusual energy source, has been developed over many years by the Riptide Rakers, at great cost to their resources and lives, in a desperate attempt to take advantage of stellar phenomena in the Avarice system. In X4: Tides of Avarice, you will find out more about these curious events, while you upgrade the Erlking using research and resources acquired during your adventure.
The Astrid, an incredibly lavish and luxurious yacht, projects wealth and importance. Owned by the CEO of the Northriver Company, Brantlee Northriver, it is rumoured to be the fastest ship in the galaxy. With its sleek design, the Astrid is a ship unlike anything you've ever come across in the X universe. What mysteries might it hold?

Salvage shipwrecks to recycle resources
Have you ever come across a shipwreck and wished you could use it in a profitable way? In the Avarice system, the Riptide Rakers, a loosely organised group of scavengers and traders, have developed the means to salvage wrecks and use them in production. Either tow the wreck with one of the new tug ships, or dismantle the wreck right where you found it using a new deconstruction ship. Once you've reached a station equipped with a recycling module, watch your scrap metal turn into building resources.

X4: Foundations 5.00 Update
X4: Tides of Avarice is released at the same time as the extensive, free 5.00 update for X4: Foundations, which expands and improves the base game in several ways. The 5.00 update introduces a series of new capital ships. These ships have been re-imagined, and a new fleet of improved models will now be on sale in various shipyards. Several factions in the game will gradually start using these new and improved ships. The 5.00 update will also bring AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution (FSR) to X4: Foundations, using a collection of cutting-edge upscaling technologies to boost performance.

Further details about X4: Tides of Avarice, as well as the 5.00 update for X4: Foundations, will be released over the next few months as we get closer to the release date. X4: Tides of Avarice is now listed on Steam and GOG and can be added to players' wish-lists.

The salvaging looks like it could be quite a bit of fun, as presumably if it works anywhere it would turn ship graveyards and conflict hotspots into essentially a new resource zone.

Also there is something extremely funny about the idea of selling people warships, letting them blow each other up, then scrapping the debris and using it to make more warships to sell them :v:

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 25, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hopefully that won't gently caress my handful of mods up too bad, it'd be a great excuse to jump back in.

quote:

Salvage shipwrecks to recycle resources
Have you ever come across a shipwreck and wished you could use it in a profitable way? In the Avarice system, the Riptide Rakers, a loosely organised group of scavengers and traders, have developed the means to salvage wrecks and use them in production. Either tow the wreck with one of the new tug ships, or dismantle the wreck right where you found it using a new deconstruction ship. Once you've reached a station equipped with a recycling module, watch your scrap metal turn into building resources.

Hardspace Shipbreakers 2 looking good

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Oh poo poo. I think this is going to warrant a new save

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if they might adapt the salvaging system to also work with asteroids? As it would IMO be a much more sensible way to mine is by just towing rocks to a station.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if they might adapt the salvaging system to also work with asteroids? As it would IMO be a much more sensible way to mine is by just towing rocks to a station.

:hmmyes:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh drat, that salvaging stuff looks great! Now I'm extra torn about whether I should continue my save (stuck in a war fighting for a near-dead PAR against HOP, with me having a private sector etc) and recycle the metric poo poo ton of destroyed HOP hair dryers in PAR space, or start again and build my industry off the back of salvaged wrecks to begin with, without getting dragged into any major wars.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a suggested hotkey setup for mouse and keyboard that is easy, or for Xbox controller?

I know HOTAS is an option but I wanna go for lazy.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've done HOTAS plus 60% keyboard and tablet (with or without stylus) for years - it works great.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At that point if you add in a bucket seat and a vr headset I think you have an X4 simulator.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Searched the thread but didn't find anything resembling an answer--I'm doing the Terran cadet start and am at the Displaced mission stage of it, where I have to build a dock at the Grand Exchange. I cannot find a builder to save my life, the only ones are back in the (now inaccessible) Terran space and I feel like I am missing something obvious if someone else hasn't asked this question already.

I set the construction budget (accepted the estimate) and the station is getting reservations to drop off wares, but there's no construction ships anywhere I can find in the sector, and I've had the Kestrel on explore looking for one for an hour.

Fake edit: literally as I was typing this out I finally spotted one. Really typical of Egosoft to make you mandatorily spend an hour plus searching a sector manually to progress without giving you any indication you'll actually find anything.

Actual edit: okay yeah there are Terran merchants holding reservations for wares that they can't actually deliver because, you know, there's no path from them to Grand Exchange. What the hell do I do now?

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 26, 2021

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
The trading ships will eventually get there, it'll just take a while for them to fly all the way to grand exchange from terran space, and I've found the eta timers to always be wrong but the ships eventually arrive. If you plan to keep using terran structures you should prioritize manufacturing your own building supplies, or if you want to change over to commonwealth materials you will need to buy new blueprints from local factions.

And if you haven't already - you should start setting up a satellite network in your local sectors so you can find builders quickly. The game literally has a builder loitering in every inhabited sector solely for player use.

Oscar aint no Slouch fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 26, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That mission in particular is a bit annoying as a terran start because yeah, nobody near you sells the stuff to build your dock blueprint you start with. There is a path but it takes ages.

Seconding putting a whole bunch of sats around. I find it generally good to drop one near every shipyard and also near some clusters of useful factories. Once you have a bit of cash the advanced sats can cover a wide area and you want to get sector surveillance up on a bunch of sectors, that info makes the game much easier because you can start building a strategic view of the state of the world, see where the fighting is, where the builders are etc. Once you get some coverage you can just zoom the map out when you want to hire a builder and they will just appear in the list.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Dropping satellites on gates is how I always am able to find builders. I usually coat the grand exchanges in a few and it works.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Still had the mod for galaxy sat dropping installed so I just set my Nimcha to get to it.

Why is "Explore" so much more janky now? Before it would have them run a typical spiral pattern in the set radius, but now it seems like it takes 10 times longer and randomly just makes the sim rotate ships in the center of the sphere. I thought the scripting might have been improved somewhat in the past two years, but if anything it makes it more babysitting rather than less. Also I seem to recall being able to send ships through jump gates and highways without using 'Explore' but 'Fly to' seems to just have them sit at the location instead of going through, like I thought I recalled it working before.

There's a good chance I am mixing up X3 and X4 functionality in my head though, I definitely went back to X3:AP after trying X4 at release.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I've done HOTAS plus 60% keyboard and tablet (with or without stylus) for years - it works great.

I have a HOTAS, I just find it kind of annoying to whip out the hotas for one game. Was hoping to just pull out a controller and use it to fly around, maybe hitting the keyboard now and then

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Alright yeah it's been like three hours and nobody has showed up with the materials necessary, I even just minimized to make dinner and let stuff run.

I hate to cheat stuff in but this is stupid, I've set up four traders in the time it's taken to get materials for this dock to Grand Exchange. The "pier" somehow got built though... even though it doesn't count as a "dock"? :confused:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9jpH_1gOBg

The space yacht with the big interior and the cube eating station look interesting. Possibly some sort of salvaging mechanic?

E: yes salvaging apparently!

The salvaging looks like it could be quite a bit of fun, as presumably if it works anywhere it would turn ship graveyards and conflict hotspots into essentially a new resource zone.

Also there is something extremely funny about the idea of selling people warships, letting them blow each other up, then scrapping the debris and using it to make more warships to sell them :v:

Goddang I am glad this thing is selling well enough to keep Egosoft afloat. Feel like they gambled the company on this one saving them and it's paying off hugely.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

HiroProtagonist posted:

Alright yeah it's been like three hours and nobody has showed up with the materials necessary, I even just minimized to make dinner and let stuff run.

I hate to cheat stuff in but this is stupid, I've set up four traders in the time it's taken to get materials for this dock to Grand Exchange. The "pier" somehow got built though... even though it doesn't count as a "dock"? :confused:

A solution that doesn't involve cheating is just buy the blueprint for a commonwealth dock and build that instead. It's a couple hundred thousand I believe for the blueprint.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A pier can only dock capital craft, so you generally want to start with a normal dock for s/m craft.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

A solution that doesn't involve cheating is just buy the blueprint for a commonwealth dock and build that instead. It's a couple hundred thousand I believe for the blueprint.

welp, did not know this at all and the commonwealth is still hostile to me. Thanks Egosoft! (also thanks to you)

OwlFancier posted:

A pier can only dock capital craft, so you generally want to start with a normal dock for s/m craft.

And why the build plan was telling me "WARNING: Cannot dock craft without pier" I will never understand. :patriot: Thanks to you as well though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't dock large craft without piers but I can't remember if it just isn't specific, possibly an iffy translation.

The good news is you can disassemble station parts to get all the resources back.

I would also say, if you are very scant on resources, the plot with the HQ station in grand exchange is probably not really worth doing, especially if you are hostile to the commonwealth. You might be better off developing your assets around terran space, try to get some of their production modules etc, some freighters up and running, which will help you to build up the HQ station without relying on the commonwealth.

It's a good starting station if you are on good terms with the commonwealth, but if you have done a terran start it is generally better, I think, to build up around their space first.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 27, 2021

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Ok, that makes a lot of sense actually. So much of the early parts of the Terran start holds your hand so it really ends up being somewhat jarring when you get to the point where clearly you're assumed to have figured it out but no new information is presented.

If i wasn't used to Egosoft's model by now, generally speaking, I'd have been rather pissed as a new player.

Thanks thread!

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Getting your standings up with the Commonwealth races also is pretty simple if slightly time consuming and boring. Stations can not allow you to dock / take missions but not actually attack you. The trick is to sit outside and wait for criminal traffic to spawn and blow it up. They take basically no firepower to kill because they aren't real ships so maybe use one gun and not a very strong one. Save before doing this and every now and again save again incase you accidentally shoot the station or non criminals. Once you are allowed to take missions you might get lucky and get a kill criminal traffic mission which quickly spawns criminal traffic and you can go from negatives to positives in one go. After that just setup some miners and you will find yourself allied eventually. This also works in reverse to raise your Terran standing if you are from the Commonwealth.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Is this worth buying on sale if all I want to do is space truck around or should I just stick to Elite Dangerous?

Bonus if I can smuggle stuff and live out my Han Solo fantasies because smuggling in Elite is (still, since 2018) broken in such a way as to render it pointless and unprofitable and they will never loving fix it despite it being the simplest goddamn thing.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Mode 7 posted:

Is this worth buying on sale if all I want to do is space truck around or should I just stick to Elite Dangerous?

Bonus if I can smuggle stuff and live out my Han Solo fantasies because smuggling in Elite is (still, since 2018) broken in such a way as to render it pointless and unprofitable and they will never loving fix it despite it being the simplest goddamn thing.

You can absolutely be a space trucker in this game, with increasingly large space trucks eventually culminating in a full trucking fleet. Smuggling exists, but its fairly barebones. There are certain goods that are illegal in different factions, and if you are scanned by the police while transporting those good, they will ask you to drop your cargo and you'll suffer a minor reputation loss. Run away and you'll take a bigger rep hit and turn some ships hostile for a while.

The real trick with illegal goods is becoming the manufacturer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also somewhat realistically for space, you can just turn on maximum speed and blast straight past everything that would try to stop you.

If there is a problem with trade in this game it's that unlike X3, there aren't really any extremely high value wares for you to buy and cart over somewhere else, it's really a lot about having a diverse and extremely high volume production base.

There is no real equivalent where you can go buy some massive capital ship guns and cart them across the galaxy in a small but fast ship and sell them for a load of money, you can load up your freighter full of weed and go sell it somewhere but the returns on any given run are fairly small, it's really more designed around the idea that you will probably be automating your trading and trading in very large volumes.

Of course if you buy a really big freighter you can totally make specific trips to refill half a shipyard at once, but you're still probably gonna want to be making those goods yourself.

I dunno, I generally hate trading in games because most games make it really boring, the only game I've ever liked it in is Starsector and that's because you don't do the same trip twice, you have an event that gives you a bunch of stuff and have to find somewhere to sell it, and the gameplay for dodging patrols and sensors is very well done and also there's a really good reason to do it.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah absolutely. The name of the game is setting up your own production empire. But to go along with that, you can also manually shop for and transport the massive amounts of components that a factory complex is going to require. And you can even fill up the cargo hold with different inputs, depending on how you design the actual production chain.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Mode 7 posted:

Honestly the space trucking is pretty barebones and far from the focus of the game but I’m loathe to say anyone should stick with Elite Dangerous.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I used to feel sorry for ppl who bought into the dream/scam of star citizen, and maybe a little jealous of their cool ships, X4's p. much left all that behind, X4 or X5 multiplayer would be welcome though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I brought up the construction ship issue on the discord and the general consensus answer was "don't handhold players too much" elitism. I've seen several streamers get annoyed/ fed up by being unable to find a construction ship in time for the HQ mission.

I don't get what would.be so bad about spawning in one near the HQ that waits for the player specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
I think that's also a thing, just locked behind high relations. In my late-game save I remember having builder ships from like 3 different factions just loitering around my hq constantly