Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just learned about this game today, and I've never seen it discussed here, but its a flight sim built around setting the cockpit up to be 1:1 with your real life flight rig setup for maximum immersion

I have to admit, the shot of the IRL joystick and the in-game one lining up is the stuff flight sim dreams are made of. It looks very simple (its in alpha), but the concept is very badass

https://www.patreon.com/tinkerpilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3cFdg0VnzE

Dammit, I was sketching out plans make something similar myself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.
I'm having some issues with Elite Dangerous, and have searched and searched and not found the particular issue, so I figured I'd toss a post here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I own E:D on steam, and generally it launches just fine -- Except since I use an Oculus Quest through Oculus Link, even when I launch via steam, it minimizes SteamVR on Oculus's menu system and opens a second 'window', hooking E:D through Oculus instead of Steam. This makes all of my steam-hooked overlays stop working, and while I haven't noticed any real performance issues, it means there's 2 VR environments running at the same time (SteamVR and any overlays not displayed, but running in background, AND ED running).

My question is this: Is there any way, with Oculus Link running, to force-hook the game through SteamVR instead, so I can actually use my overlays? Alternatively, is there a way to run the Quest's Virtual Desktop via a wired connection of some sort, since it seems to bypass Oculus Link entirely?

To note, I've tried using Virtual Desktop's connection wirelessly, and unfortunately my apartment has too much interference. I've run the connection directly from the Quest to my PC running a 5ghz wireless card as a hotspot, and it's still a sub-par experience compared to wiring it up, Oculus's bullshit aside.

EDIT: To note, it's the original Quest, not the Quest 2.

Aqua_D fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 25, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

You can try using ReVive for the ultimate facebook-ception.

e: actually that would probably break oculus link

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Private Speech posted:

You can try using ReVive for the ultimate facebook-ception.

This is a serious suggestion.

e: actually that would probably break oculus link, well, you can try I guess

So the function there would be re-hooking the oculus hook into steam?

... If I can't find anything better, I guess I might as well. Most things I see that 'exclude' the oculus store hook usually involve stopping the process entirely which, obviously, tends to gently caress up oculus link.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

There might be a command line parameter to force it to use SteamVR instead of Oculus. I can't remember it off-hand though.

Apparently there is also a trick with the windows compatibility modes as well. If you set the game to use Windows 7 compatibility, the Oculus runtime won't work and it should pick SteamVR instead. Not sure if it works properly with all games though.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Rectus posted:

There might be a command line parameter to force it to use SteamVR instead of Oculus. I can't remember it off-hand though.

Apparently there is also a trick with the windows compatibility modes as well. If you set the game to use Windows 7 compatibility, the Oculus runtime won't work and it should pick SteamVR instead. Not sure if it works properly with all games though.

Navigate to the actual game executable
\SteamApps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\EliteDangerous64.exe
Right click and select properties.
Select the Compatibility tab.
Check Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Select Windows 7 from the drop down.
Click OK.

Oculus can't run in win 7 anymore and forces games to dump into openvr if available. Not "all" games work due to bindings not existing in openvr potentially but ED does work if i remember correctly.

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

EbolaIvory posted:

Navigate to the actual game executable
\SteamApps\common\Elite Dangerous\Products\elite-dangerous-64\EliteDangerous64.exe
Right click and select properties.
Select the Compatibility tab.
Check Run this program in compatibility mode for:
Select Windows 7 from the drop down.
Click OK.

Oculus can't run in win 7 anymore and forces games to dump into openvr if available. Not "all" games work due to bindings not existing in openvr potentially but ED does work if i remember correctly.

Holy poo poo, this seems to have worked.

Now to figure out all of the weird issues that seem to only happen when E:D is running... :haw:

Thanks!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I just learned about this game today, and I've never seen it discussed here, but its a flight sim built around setting the cockpit up to be 1:1 with your real life flight rig setup for maximum immersion

I have to admit, the shot of the IRL joystick and the in-game one lining up is the stuff flight sim dreams are made of. It looks very simple (its in alpha), but the concept is very badass

https://www.patreon.com/tinkerpilot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3cFdg0VnzE

I wish this was a middleware project rather than a game. This is the type of project where so much effort and energy gets taken up by the one really awesome thing that there's none left for making the gameplay itself also good, and you end up with just a really sweet tech demo.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Deeturbomber posted:

Holy poo poo, this seems to have worked.

Now to figure out all of the weird issues that seem to only happen when E:D is running... :haw:

Thanks!

Welcome.

If you end up in this situation again other games have other methods that don't force dumb poo poo.

Unity games you can add launch options under properties. Use "-vrmode openvr" without the quotes.
Unreal games, SOME can be forced using "-hmd=SteamVR" without the quotes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

The Eyes Have It posted:

I just got an early black friday special notification: Buy a Quest 2 direct from Oculus/Meta and get a $70 CAD store credit!

:ssh: Buying direct costs $60 more than it would to buy it off Amazon :ssh:

nah the oculus portal just advertises a price inclusive of taxes. the difference is less than :tenbux:

really it just matters whether you want that store credit vs amazon credit

Shankel Magnus
Jul 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Just saw this on Wario 64: HP Reverb G2 for $399.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1464033660571897857?s=21

Is this a good deal - or better question is this a headset anyone should actually want?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The reverb g2 is really good for sims. The motion controls are not the best, but unless you’re playing high level beat saber, you probably won’t notice

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I bought it, I'm ready to be disappointed. :v: But I am coming from a Quest 1, so whatever.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are a handful of G2 havers in this thread I’m sure they can tell you how it is

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
If I had a newer video card I would be all over that

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

It has one of the best displays out of anything that doesn't cost stupid amounts.

And that includes the index.

The tracking is wmr, so ymmv, shouldn't be that much worse than quest. You can always combine it with inedx controllers if you have enough cash lying around.

For that price it's a steal.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

quote is not edit

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There are a handful of G2 havers in this thread I’m sure they can tell you how it is

Private Speech posted:

It has one of the best displays out of anything that doesn't cost stupid amounts.

The tracking is wmr, so ymmv, shouldn't be that much worse than quest. You can always combine it with inedx controllers if you have enough cash lying around.

Yeah, I was evaluating what I like to play more in VR which I guess at this point is space flyin'. So it should be a slam dunk since simmers love it. My concern however and why I have the Quest 1 in the first place is the slightly wider IPD support. I'm around 70 so that's something I'm a bit contentious about. I did find a reddit thread of G2 owners with similar IPDs say they were content with it at least. Whatever. If it doesn't work out I can just return it minus restocking fee through HP. :shepface:

Shemp the Stooge posted:

If I had a newer video card I would be all over that

Same, if I didn't already have my launch 3080 FE I probably wouldn't consider it.

Edit: Hopefully the "30% improved vertical tracking" on this revision is as legit as they are claiming. Still no capacitive buttons, but I can live without that for now.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 26, 2021

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

Quest Black Friday sale is live: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/quest/section/4403460906428111/#/?_k=e20ed1

Some pretty good deals to be had. I know I'll finally be picking up Walkabout Minigolf thanks to the praise it receives here.

Good time to put that referral credit to use if you've been getting it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Private Speech posted:

Before I got an Index I was thinking of getting a G2, but I saw comparisons that said it had less field-of-view. How was that, in your experience?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Hyperlynx posted:

Before I got an Index I was thinking of getting a G2, but I saw comparisons that said it had less field-of-view. How was that, in your experience?

I don't have an index to compare, but the field of view is quite good IMO. It's about 15% more than Quest 2 and only slightly less than Index; some people also do a mod by using aftermarket padding to increase it, but I think that's a bit silly.

The bigger disadvantage is the lower framerate, but you do get the higher resolution in return.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah, I was evaluating what I like to play more in VR which I guess at this point is space flyin'. So it should be a slam dunk since simmers love it. My concern however and why I have the Quest 1 in the first place is the slightly wider IPD support. I'm around 70 so that's something I'm a bit contentious about. I did find a reddit thread of G2 owners with similar IPDs say they were content with it at least. Whatever. If it doesn't work out I can just return it minus restocking fee through HP. :shepface:

Yeah according to what I read 70 IPD is just about okay, random people online say there's a 2 mm tolerance and the max is 68 (same as quest 2).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Nov 26, 2021

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Private Speech posted:

some people also do a mod by using aftermarket padding to increase it, but I think that's a bit silly.

I 3D printed an entirely new face gasket and stuck a quest 2 vrcover to it and it not only makes the FOV much larger but it also makes the sweet spot larger. The vertical FOV is a dramatic improvement over the original gasket (makes a bigger impact than I thought it would) and the horizontal FOV is improved a bit too.

I got my G2 last week (a refurb, from eBay) and after I had it’s settings dialed in and tried a bunch of different types of games (action games with motion controls and sims with dedicated controls like a yoke, steering wheel, or sticks) there’s no way I’m going back to the quest 2. The cable wasn’t a dealbreaker for me.

Downsides:
Controller tracking is marginally worse than the quest 2 but not to any game breaking degree for me.
my fingers don’t waggle around in game anymore since it doesn’t have the capacitive sensors on the controllers, but I don’t mind that.
Setup isn’t as seamless as the quest 2 to get stuff up and running perfectly
There’s a cable that has to be plugged into not only the computer but also the wall for power.

Upsides:
Not Facebook.
Better FOV (much better with mods).
Clearer visuals.
No more video compression artifacts and weird oversharpening that I was experiencing with airlink on the quest 2.
More consistent performance because my video card isn’t being split between video encoding for the airlink stream and the game.
Works properly in windows 11 (oculus software is bugged in w11)

I’ve had a rift CV1, an acer WMR headset who’s name escapes me at the moment, a rift S, an odyssey plus, a PSVR, a quest 2, and an HP Reverb G2 and I can easily say the reverb G2 is the best one I’ve used.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 26, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

How do the mods work to make the fov bigger, or at least seem bigger? The fov is my biggest bugbear with current VR, so I'd be willing to tool around with a possible solution.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Considering getting Tetris Effect on Steam for my Index because people seem to love it but... it's paying close to $30 for Tetris. Is it really worth it for the experience of it in VR?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Considering getting Tetris Effect on Steam for my Index because people seem to love it but... it's paying close to $30 for Tetris. Is it really worth it for the experience of it in VR?

do you like tetris?
it's a very good tetris game

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

It's on Gamepass and the VR works, figured I'd mention it just in case. I enjoyed it but it wasn't the transcendent experience I thought it would be based on the hype around it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

As someone who rarely plays Tetris I've been having an absolute blast, the immersion is genuinely excellent and there's an impressive range of stages with unique audio and visuals that match up with your actions, so if you like losing yourself in a game and have a pair of headphones handy (or can turn the speakers up nice and high) then I'd say go for it.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Ordered my Quest 2, anyone got a referral link they want me to use?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Harry Privates posted:

Ordered my Quest 2, anyone got a referral link they want me to use?

I can pm you mine.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I have and love it but if I'm being honest since getting it I've played more in 2D than 3D but it's still an amazing experience.

ESPECIALLY the connected multiplayer mode. Got goosebumps during my first match, when everything "clicked" with my random online teammates

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shankel Magnus posted:

Just saw this on Wario 64: HP Reverb G2 for $399.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1464033660571897857?s=21

Is this a good deal - or better question is this a headset anyone should actually want?

This is an extremely good loving headset. Buy it if you are able to.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

e: quote is not edit

Turin Turambar posted:

I can pm you mine.

yikes man give someone else an opportunity lol, I thought I checked the thread half frequently

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

This is an extremely good loving headset. Buy it if you are able to.

drat it, I just bought prescription inserts for my quest, don't tempt me to get a better one now! :qq:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Deeturbomber posted:

drat it, I just bought prescription inserts for my quest, don't tempt me to get a better one now! :qq:

Get a second VR headset. :getin:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How do the mods work to make the fov bigger, or at least seem bigger? The fov is my biggest bugbear with current VR, so I'd be willing to tool around with a possible solution.

It's because of how it's designed with a standoff gasket: (also means no light bleed but that might change with mods)

The 8k+ pimaxes are still ultimately better, but the price is a bit much for them (as are the required computer specs).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 26, 2021

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Get a second VR headset. :getin:

Believe me, I actually want to, but marriage means accepting which purchases are likely to get you kicked in the bollocks and trying to avoid those. :shepspends:

(Or at least being aware of which kicks to the bollocks are going to be bearable.)

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The mods put your eyes closer to the lenses. The stock face gasket that comes with the g2 has your eyes further back from the lenses than most headsets do. Not only does it help with the FOV but it also makes the sweet spot of the lenses larger as well so elements out to the edges aren’t as distorted.

The new g2 (very minimal revision of the cable, camera placement, and face gasket) is basically the same as a modded one. Any new headset ordered from hp will be the new revision

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
If I'm looking at getting into VR for PC Sim racing specifically (Like AC/C, rFactor2, iRacing, whatever supports it), is there a headset that is better than others for that niche? Or if I'm not in a rush to get one, are there new/better headsets coming out in the coming months?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Fhqwhgads posted:

If I'm looking at getting into VR for PC Sim racing specifically (Like AC/C, rFactor2, iRacing, whatever supports it), is there a headset that is better than others for that niche? Or if I'm not in a rush to get one, are there new/better headsets coming out in the coming months?

Funny you mention it, the reverb g2 discussed above is very good for that (great resolution and display, framerate and room-scale tracking not as important) and is on deep sale.

There's not much coming out that we know of.

e: Other than that you basically only have the high-end pimaxes and commercial vr solutions, but they are expensive and pretty much require a 3080ti or better - because 8k/12k resolution, high maxed framerate and vr processing is not easy to do.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 26, 2021