Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Andrew Koji woulda been a better spike imo

Between being cast in the new David Leitch film and being available for Warrior's third season, it's probably a good thing he wasn't available tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah. The people going nuts about that either don't remember the show at all or are 100% bad faith. That was exactly as annoying as Ed is in the anime, like identical. Which I don't think is a good idea, but you can't say it wasn't accurate.

Eh. I finished rewatching the anime the day before this came out. My opinion no one cares about is: it's fine. Not great, better than I expected. I could've done with less of Vicious trying to push his skull out of his skin or whatever all was going on there. Episode 9 was good though, clearly he's being directed that way and isn't just a lovely actor.

Biggest problem I had was completely neutering Faye. Didn't feel like she had any of the hardness of the character, and I was surprised they did the video so early. I don't hate her but I really wish they hadn't softened her so much and kept that for later like in the original.

Jet's perfect. Spike grew on me.

Anyway lol at this thread.

lol

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
For the record, this is anime ed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRid-B5xqlA&t=1s

I think she's quite different, but I know people have different opinions on it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SpaceAceJase posted:

We don't yet have the technology to make anime real.

Get a VR headset and try out VRChat, then come back here and say that again :v:

Google Butt posted:

Andrew Koji woulda been a better spike imo

I didn't know who this was but holy poo poo. If this were a better adaptation that tried to actually take the source material seriously (lol), then he would've been perfect. And I'm only saying that as a guy who's just now watching the anime for the first time.

Like, even just his natural pose here

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Finished!

I enjoyed it! I think they did a great job at capturing the tone of the original and translating it into meatspace. I liked the background world building. I thought it did a decent job of reshuffling parts and pieces just enough to keep it feeling fresh. The CGI was good quality, but you can tell they really had to pick and choose and budget the moments.

Now that I see what they did with Vicious, I don't mind how they fleshed him out a little more and spent so much time with him. I'm not sure how all of that jives with the characterization of the original, it seems like they had to make Spike a little too nostalgic for that to work. I suppose they could be going somewhere else with it, but I don't see how we get to "Bang!" from here, if that is their goal. Maybe they want to try something new?

Casting was pretty spot on: Mustafa Shakir obviously deserves special mention! I enjoyed Cho's Spike, you can tell he did a lot to study the original and mannerisms. Faye obviously had the most changes, but it was more of an acceleration that a reimagining. I think they probably should have kept the tape for S2 and (finale spoilers) kept Faye as the church hostage. Moving all of that up so soon just lessened its impact. There were also a few too many conceits, for me, to get back to the set piece with Vicious and Spike in the finale.

I get the feel that they are aiming to retell the original's main story in three seasons, so I imagine the S2 finale will be more or less the plot of Jupiter Jazz. I will be furious if we don't get a Heavy Metal Queen and spacecatte as the S2 opener.

I think many of you who think that this adaptation didn't match the tone/quality of the original are cherry-picking your moments. The original had plenty of dumb lines and moments that didn't quite work out, to say nothing of the overt male-gaze (the lack of which is what I think many online reviewers are actually upset about with Faye).

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

No Wave posted:

For the record, this is anime ed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRid-B5xqlA&t=1s

I think she's quite different, but I know people have different opinions on it.

It is absolutely different and grating in a way the original was not. I wonder if people saying there isn't a difference are just...watching the new series with Japanese audio, which retained the original cast from the anime. I looked up the final Ed scene with Japanese audio and it's basically night and day in comparison.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

It is absolutely different and grating in a way the original was not. I wonder if people saying there isn't a difference are just...watching the new series with Japanese audio, which retained the original cast from the anime. I looked up the final Ed scene with Japanese audio and it's basically night and day in comparison.

Ed's casting was fine and they were absolutely that annoying in the original. Ed was my least favorite character, originally, but after rewatching the anime in advance of the live-action, I came to realize they are the glue that holds the whole show together.

The last minute was probably the best I could have expected. I don't see any difference in the tone of the characterization or portrayal. :shrug:

Why did this bother everyone so much?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah this netflix bebop poo poo is crazy, who the gently caress is this show even made fo-

Ah.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol: if your worse critique is my use of a 40 year old fictional slang word used to evoke the nostalgic referencing of the original and adaptation...

Your trolling of this thread is lazy. Put some :effort: in.
:gb2gbs:

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

now *THIS* is nutbags!

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

:lol: tfw your :tviv: worst critique :allears: is pointing out the use of a 40 :mamacita: year old fictional slang word :xbone: used to evoke the nostalgic :goofy: refrencing of the original :effort: and :stonk: adaptation

(??????????????)

:psygangnamstyle:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
gently caress that post is almost as obnoxious to look at as Netflix's adaptation of Cowboy Bebop!

Almost.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Mulva posted:

What if instead of doing that, they just gave you way way more Vicious?

Hey Netflix, if you're reading this

Cowboy Vicious

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Is this what passes for content/trolling in CSPAM? Are there no iks there to beecock effortless not-even-shitposting?

Not even worthy of an ignore. :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why did this bother everyone so much?

Changing everyone else to better fit the direction they wanted to take the show then transplant Ed 1:1 did not work out the way they wanted.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Hey Netflix, if you're reading this

Cowboy Vicious

Heck yeah, let's piledrive it home and put vicious as one of the crew going forwards

And whenever he's not on screen everyone should be asking "where's vicious??"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

:lol: if your worse critique is my use of a 40 year old fictional slang word used to evoke the nostalgic referencing of the original and adaptation...

Your trolling of this thread is lazy. Put some :effort: in.
:gb2gbs:
This post actually made me nostalgic. I enjoyed it.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

You're not kidding, it changes the tone entirely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKhnoJyT8_A

No Wave fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 26, 2021

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
The show is vastly improved by the Japanese audio track and I prefer to watch my anime dubbed. Which suggests if the show runners can unfuck the scripts they could much improve the show in general.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
PIssing myself laughing at the fact they made random sword villain a Beta Cuck.

Crain posted:

Saw a write up about this yesterday: Why does everyone in Netflix's Cowboy Bebop talk like that?

TL;DR: We're entering the generation of screenwriters and directors who grew up watching Buffy, Angel, and Firefly and Joss Whedon's (pre-cancellation) success with the Marvel MCU has cemented "Whedon Speak" as the tone that producers and backers demand because that's what "works", which feeds into the host of people who grew up wanting to make their own versions of those shows, quip and asides complete.

It doesn't help that they grabbed a host of MCU writers and producers to helm this show, which paradoxically includes one of the head writers from Thor: Ragnarok, the best MCU film.
Gita Jackson is a cool pro-union writer, but I really cannot get over what a waste of words that article was. The actual issue was just that the jokey lines in the show are poo poo. "I didn't like the bad writing." There's no solid throughline to what twitter refers to as 'whedonspeak'. Absolutely no connection to genuinely funny Buffy or Firefly content.

The one actual Whedon example the article refers to: "Well, if this guy wants to fight with weapons, I've got it covered from A to Z, from axe to... zee other axe." is an actual loving joke. Like it or not, it's a lot stronger than the other quotes "they fly now?!" or "Hey dick-hole! Super cool accommodations, but do you think you could handcuff me to an even bigger, more disgusting toilet? Cause that would be great."

Don't make me defend Joss fuckin Whedon but this is some shallow trash bullshit analysis that 'dialogue I didn't like' was linked to some lovely guy who is famous for some actually good dialogue. There's definitely a cliche about some of these styles of dialogue in modern blockbusters from Faye's cartoonishly outrageously sweary nonsense, to the using of jokey tones that don't actually fit scenes or have actual jokes - but that's not 'Whedon'.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of Ed, there's a brief interview with the actor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yyWgfLbW-M

Honestly it seems like they like the character (and have Correct opinions about which is the best Ed scene from the anime). Honestly just seeing them not in fisheye lens makes them look much better. Looking forward to seeing them in season 2.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Neither Buffy nor Firefly were funny you were just stupider hth op

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yvonmukluk posted:

Honestly it seems like they like the character (and have Correct opinions about which is the best Ed scene from the anime). Honestly just seeing them not in fisheye lens makes them look much better. Looking forward to seeing them in season 2.

It is probably worth noting that Ed’s lone scene in season 1 — approximately 30 seconds total — is done in front of a near-conscious Spike. So yeah, the way it’s shot and presented is basically one from Spike’s barely coherent point of view.

If there’s a season 2 I’d still expect Ed to be obnoxious but probably not shown in this extreme POV that seems to have people up in arms over.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah I think live action Ed will work better when not seen via fisheye lens.

I was weirdly relieved to see Eden describe Ed as being a female character in this adaptation rather than non binary, not because I take issue with non binary characters (I honestly do not give a gently caress about Gren being officially non binary in the live action) but because there's no way Ed is introspective enough to think about gender identity.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xibanya posted:

Yeah I think live action Ed will work better when not seen via fisheye lens.

I was weirdly relieved to see Eden describe Ed as being a female character in this adaptation rather than non binary, not because I take issue with non binary characters (I honestly do not give a gently caress about Gren being officially non binary in the live action) but because there's no way Ed is introspective enough to think about gender identity.

I mean, some non-binary people do use she/her or he/him pronouns. Edward usually referred to herself as 'Edward', anyway. I don't think Ed ever used a pronoun to describe herself in the anime.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Yvonmukluk posted:

I mean, some non-binary people do use she/her or he/him pronouns. Edward usually referred to herself as 'Edward', anyway. I don't think Ed ever used a pronoun to describe herself in the anime.

I had a concern they'd have the character explain they wish to be called "they/them" which would be utterly ridiculous because the only sensible pronoun for Ed is Ed.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
Future archeologists will look at this pronoun poo poo and do a facepalm.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Omon Ra posted:

no gently caress off with that

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus
Why do you feel the need to talk about the gender identity of this 13-year-old cartoon character?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xibanya posted:

I had a concern they'd have the character explain they wish to be called "they/them" which would be utterly ridiculous because the only sensible pronoun for Ed is Ed.

'Edward is Edward.'
-Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivrusky IV, 2071.

Omon Ra posted:

Why do you feel the need to talk about the gender identity of this 13-year-old cartoon character?

Because they deliberately cast a non-binary actor to play her?

Hell, in one interview Watanabe refers to Ed as 'it'.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 26, 2021

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Neither Buffy nor Firefly were funny you were just stupider hth op
Nah, I'm still exactly as dumb, I rewatched recently and they've both got really solidly crafted gags. (Well, I watched highlights of buffy, I can't say they were hitting the ball out of the park with all of them) But even if Whedon has a distinctive patois (which again, I don't see in this Netflix Cowboy Bebop show) I wouldn't necessarily credit the funny bits with him anyway.

Omon Ra posted:

Profile: Omon Ra claims to be a porpoise. :thunk:

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

VagueRant posted:

Profile: Omon Ra claims to be a porpoise. :thunk:
I think that's the default setting.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Omon Ra posted:

why do you feel the need to poo poo up this thread with transphobic horseshit?

circling back to actual good topics, this interview here gives me the impression the showrunners really tried their best to not gently caress it up, so I'll be fascinated by any post mortem that comes out in a few years about what led to the loving up of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewAINI1az1w&t=567s

Yvonmukluk posted:

'Edward is Edward.'

Hell, in one interview Watanabe refers to Ed as 'it'.

yeah it's hard to explain but I totally buy the idea of Ed innately being non-binary, but the concept of Ed actually realizing/voicing this seems totally foreign to the character.

E: it's important to note that you shouldn't place as much importance on "it" in Japanese as you would in English as it's really typical to implicitly refer to people and things in Japanese without a gendered pronoun, way moreso than it is in English. So if the interview was translated, I'd mentally substitute in "they" for "it" in that sentence. I doubt he means the pejorative implications the word it carries in English.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 26, 2021

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Yvonmukluk posted:

'Edward is Edward.'

Yvonmukluk posted:

I guess? I would question if someone has really confirmed they "deliberately" cast a girl who prefers to be called "them" (is that supposed to affect her acting somehow?), but what does it really matter.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Dongicus posted:

Yeah this netflix bebop poo poo is crazy, who the gently caress is this show even made fo-

Ah.

Dongicus posted:

now *THIS* is nutbags!

Dongicus posted:

:lol: tfw your :tviv: worst critique :allears: is pointing out the use of a 40 :mamacita: year old fictional slang word :xbone: used to evoke the nostalgic :goofy: refrencing of the original :effort: and :stonk: adaptation

(??????????????)

:psygangnamstyle:

Is this what passes for content/trolling in CSPAM? Are there no iks there to beecock effortless not-even-shitposting?

Not even worthy of an ignore. :allears:

lmfao

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
well anyway here is some poo poo I made for twitter that ya'll might enjoy

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1462749611857174543?s=20

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1463135727684833287?s=20

https://twitter.com/ManuelaXibanya/status/1464543412728872961?s=20

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 27, 2021

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I don't l like anime and am 3 episodes in. I like this show. Anime would be better if it was not anime is my conclusion.

Penitent
Jul 8, 2005

The Lemonade Man Can

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Heck yeah, let's piledrive it home and put vicious as one of the crew going forwards

And whenever he's not on screen everyone should be asking "where's vicious??"

Now that Julia has betrayed our sweet boy, I'm onboard with team #ViciousFayeFaye

Do it cowards.

Party Bug
Mar 13, 2008

SALT BECOMES EMPOWERMENT
The worst part about Netflix' Cowboy Bebop is it constantly forces me to ask what the dog doin'.

Ein's not even in the background of some episodes he should be in. Worst adaptation I've ever seen.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'm going to write the most insufferable line about this reboot humanly possible in order to explain episode 9:

Jazz is sometimes about the notes you don't play, and every single newly added note incorporated into Spike and Viscous' tune was flat and uninspired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozy
Jan 3, 2006

Xibanya posted:

The show is vastly improved by the Japanese audio track and I prefer to watch my anime dubbed. Which suggests if the show runners can unfuck the scripts they could much improve the show in general.

I saw a clip where someone dubbed a laugh track over the dialogue and gave the show a Seinfeld-style intro. This is the correct way to watch it, I think. Everything made a lot more sense.