Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been wanting to embrace the whole vibe of Autumn recently, so I've very recently started adding "Fall"-ish spices to my dark roast, otherwise-black coffee. I've messed around with the basic cinnamon and nutmeg, but I want something to round it out and make the flavor profile fuller. How do you y'all spice your coffee?

I use a Chemex pour-over if that matters.

Also, on a more general note, when it comes to hand grinders for beans, is there a base level of quality to look out for? I've been wanting to upgrade my electric blender, and my local co-op has hand grinders for sale, but they're like only $10 and I'm wondering if that's a warning sign.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Blue Labrador posted:

Also, on a more general note, when it comes to hand grinders for beans, is there a base level of quality to look out for? I've been wanting to upgrade my electric blender, and my local co-op has hand grinders for sale, but they're like only $10 and I'm wondering if that's a warning sign.

It's one of those situations where it's really worth it to pay a little more because there's a massive increase in quality from the $10-30 level (will be mostly plastic, often ceramic burrs) to the ~$80-120 level (will be all metal and last forever).

Something like a Timemore C2 or a 1zpresso Q2 (or JX, or anything 1zpresso makes really, they're great) will give you as good grind quality as an electric grinder that costs a couple hundred dollars more and likely last a lifetime, while cheapo ones will just leave you frustrated and probably spending more to upgrade sooner than later.

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 24, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been wanting to embrace the whole vibe of Autumn recently, so I've very recently started adding "Fall"-ish spices to my dark roast, otherwise-black coffee. I've messed around with the basic cinnamon and nutmeg, but I want something to round it out and make the flavor profile fuller. How do you y'all spice your coffee?

I use a Chemex pour-over if that matters.

add cardamom?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Clove?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Also allspice and ground ginger.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Try adding some whiskey

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mu Zeta posted:

Try adding some cannamilk

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

idk why but I've been getting really bored with my teas lately (don't tell tea thread). problem is, I really can't do caffeine, it gives me craaaaaazy anxiety. my fave local coffee roaster has two decafs (Colombian light-med roast and a Kenyan med-full roast) so I guess I'll start there. I'm thinking about getting an Aeropress but I'm not sure if I should get a grinder. Still worth grinding decaf beans at home?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
Yes, definitely. Decaf beans often need to be ground a little finer than regular but there’s no reason to treat them any different, and they can be just as tasty.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

there's also probably more excellent decaf available right now than ever before. having a kenyan one available locally is really cool, i almost never see them

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Hawkperson posted:

idk why but I've been getting really bored with my teas lately (don't tell tea thread). problem is, I really can't do caffeine, it gives me craaaaaazy anxiety. my fave local coffee roaster has two decafs (Colombian light-med roast and a Kenyan med-full roast) so I guess I'll start there. I'm thinking about getting an Aeropress but I'm not sure if I should get a grinder. Still worth grinding decaf beans at home?

Busted.

Decaf beans that are fancier tend to prepare and brew the same as regular beans. So, if you plan on doing a lot of home brewing and want the freshest experience a proper grinder makes sense.

I think it may be a common misconception that you absolutely need one, but it's likely you will get an overall nice enough experience with preground coffee as long as it was roasted to order. It's when you get a jug of Folger's or whatever and it's been sitting ground for half a year before sitting on the shelf of your supermarket for another however many months that won't taste particularly great black. Even then, some people prefer it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hawkperson posted:

Doubly busted? There are plenty of people who just drink both.

You could look into the Clever Coffee Dripper if you want something similar to how you'd make your tea as well. Definitely worth getting a grinder for decaf beans from your local roaster, and there's going to be a lot of opinions on what you should get. But quality of your brew will be very affected by the quality of the grind (to a point where you start hitting diminishing returns). Unfortunately, this means that better grinders will be more expensive, but this is good advice for where you are too probably:

eke out posted:

It's one of those situations where it's really worth it to pay a little more because there's a massive increase in quality from the $10-30 level (will be mostly plastic, often ceramic burrs) to the ~$80-120 level (will be all metal and last forever).

Something like a Timemore C2 or a 1zpresso Q2 (or JX, or anything 1zpresso makes really, they're great) will give you as good grind quality as an electric grinder that costs a couple hundred dollars more and likely last a lifetime, while cheapo ones will just leave you frustrated and probably spending more to upgrade sooner than later.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

lol, I figured there'd be a lot of overlap. Tasty plant water is tasty plant water.

Thanks though! I think I'll pick up the Clever and the Timemore, mostly because it's pretty as poo poo. Gonna see if there's any deals tomorrow, although I suppose with niche stuff like this it's unlikely. but I can wait

eke out posted:

there's also probably more excellent decaf available right now than ever before. having a kenyan one available locally is really cool, i almost never see them

that's exciting :) I really don't know coffee very well at all but that makes me def want to try the Kenyan one first.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nanofoamer is 25% off

Also

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The holidays call for egg nog as a way to spice up your coffee.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

BrianBoitano posted:

Nanofoamer is 25% off

Also

:haibrower:

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mods?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I've got a Hario Skerton for hand grinding but hoo boy after 20g I am done for the day with that. Are other hand grinders on that level (1Zpresso, Timemore, Other?) that are an easier process or is this just what hand grinding is?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Those grinders are much better than anything from Hario. I have a Skerton and Hario Mini and they are basically toys compared to them. I bought a LIDO grinder a few years ago and it's a tank that grinds fast with huge burrs and a comfortable handle. If I was buying today I would get the 1zpresso JX. It's $130.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I would like to purchase another carafe other than the standard Kalita 500ml one. I used to use a Yama Glass one that was a bit prettier so I might get one again, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a real play at the beaker-style glass game for coffee nerds unless I missed something. I think most other things were like, Chemex clones or V60 all-in-ones or the like.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Deathlove posted:

I've got a Hario Skerton for hand grinding but hoo boy after 20g I am done for the day with that. Are other hand grinders on that level (1Zpresso, Timemore, Other?) that are an easier process or is this just what hand grinding is?

Larger burrs makes a huge difference in how long it takes to grind. Years back, when I lived in an apartment with paper-thin walls and the premium hand grinder selection was pretty thin, I picked up a Hario Slim thinking it would be easier to make coffee at night without the roaring grinding of my electric one. But it was such a pain in the rear end grinding even just a single dose that I gave up on it after about five uses.

I since picked up a Kinu M47, with large 47mm burrs, and it can get through 18-20g of beans in as many seconds, probably less. Even espresso grind doesn't take that much more time. Noise isn't as much of an issue for me now, but counter space still is, so I still prefer having a small hand grinder.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Big Burr Gang.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Nanofoamer is 25% off

Also

help, I don't understand what this is (other than something I would probably eat)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Deathlove posted:

Lol

I used to do 36 g every day for beloved and

Welcome to hand grinding

The ROK grinder is good but a big boi

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the 1zpresso grinders are also pretty aggressive for their size, they take a little more force than others but also are faster compared to things like the commandante. iirc 18g for espresso on the jx pro was like 30-40 seconds for me

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 27, 2021

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

aldantefax posted:

I would like to purchase another carafe other than the standard Kalita 500ml one. I used to use a Yama Glass one that was a bit prettier so I might get one again, but I'm surprised there hasn't been a real play at the beaker-style glass game for coffee nerds unless I missed something. I think most other things were like, Chemex clones or V60 all-in-ones or the like.

I use the Fellow Stagg glass carafe and enjoy it a lot. You do need to pour slowly from it but the double wall paired with the top holds in heat well for those situations where you aren't pouring all the coffee at once.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

aldantefax posted:

https://kurasu.kyoto/products/coffee-server-pitchii

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead :rip:
Gonna quote this here because I don't know how many coffee aficionados we have in TFR:

BeAuMaN posted:

Not a coffee guy but I'm being told this Baratza Encore Burr Coffee Grinder for $67.50 is a real good deal (like historical low price)

https://www.compasscoffee.com/products/baratza-encore

Coupon code: SHHH
takes 50% off in cart

Source:
https://slickdeals.net/f/15453433-baratza-encore-burr-coffee-grinder-67-50-free-shipping

Coupon code works on other stuff too afaik.

Don't be surprised if there's cancellations though.

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 27, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Has cometeer been discussed in the thread yet? I've been super happy with the single origin box so far. Been great on the weekends when I don't have time to do my v60 cup.

$25 off your first box of anyone is interested: https://cometeer.com/r/XTJm3V ( I also get $25 but I haven't seen other better deals than referral codes)

So far been better than the swift cup powdered coffee.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 27, 2021

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Having a real excellent bean right now

Got a very forward sweetness and jam. Bit like drinking a black forest cake with a lingering tart, wine like aftertaste. Brewing it at 95 degrees as it was underextracted at 90. I'm thoroughly enjoying natural and honey processed these days.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Munkaboo posted:

Has cometeer been discussed in the thread yet? I've been super happy with the single origin box so far. Been great on the weekends when I don't have time to do my v60 cup.

$25 off your first box of anyone is interested: https://cometeer.com/r/XTJm3V ( I also get $25 but I haven't seen other better deals than referral codes)

So far been better than the swift cup powdered coffee.

I was lucky enough to try a few cups of it from pre/very early-production like a year ago and was blown away by how good it was. It’s expensive, but a great option for travel or if you like/want to serve great coffee but don’t drink it enough to make it practical to invest in a grinder, coffee maker, etc. I think then somebody said it was dumber than Juicero.

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 27, 2021

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

i own every Bionicle posted:

I was lucky enough to try a few cups of it from pre/very early-production like a year ago and was blown away by how good it was. It’s expensive, but a great option for travel or if you like/want to serve great coffee but don’t drink it enough to make it practical to invest in a grinder, coffee maker, etc.

Totally agree. It's miles better than starbucks/caribou/etc. Low bar, but still.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo
Is there anywhere robusta is taken seriously or developed per se except as an industrial filler for instant coffee or whatever? Can you get a big ol sack of robusta roasted up somewhere?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Years ago sweet maria's sold a "premium" robusta from rawanda (I think). I bought it out of curiosity and it wasn't good.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

looks like they don't have any right now but Chromatic Coffee had a bunch of featured specialty robustas over the last several months, I didn't try any but I know people who said positive things

there's a lot for sale green that's basically just for espresso blends. i have some ugandan right now that's really not bad and is definitely many grades above industrial instant coffee filler (good sorting, very few defects, etc). it doesn't taste great on its own but is not offensive at all as 20% of a blend

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Megabound posted:

I'm thoroughly enjoying natural and honey processed these days.

Oh absolutely. I'm loving this honey process Ethiopian from Onyx I'm working through. And it's so nice to have the easily detectible honey note to show my girlfriend, who's not an ex-barista, what I'm on about when I rant about processing, and fruit notes and such.

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

eke out posted:

looks like they don't have any right now but Chromatic Coffee had a bunch of featured specialty robustas over the last several months, I didn't try any but I know people who said positive things

there's a lot for sale green that's basically just for espresso blends. i have some ugandan right now that's really not bad and is definitely many grades above industrial instant coffee filler (good sorting, very few defects, etc). it doesn't taste great on its own but is not offensive at all as 20% of a blend

Interesting. I know very soon it will be the only coffee so I'm just trying to ascertain the correctness of "the future is instant" that everyone takes for granted.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Isn't deathwish coffee a robusta blend?

Wang Commander
Dec 27, 2003

by sebmojo

Thumposaurus posted:

Isn't deathwish coffee a robusta blend?

Yeah they use it pretty heavily for the caffeine and don't cater to anyone who cares what it tastes like I assume based on the branding. I've seen it at work but only like 25 hours into a 36 hour shift so no idea what it tastes like.

I think a lot of robusta gets consumed in Vietnam which makes sense given the huge amounts of it they grow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Wang Commander posted:

Interesting. I know very soon it will be the only coffee so I'm just trying to ascertain the correctness of "the future is instant" that everyone takes for granted.

the wild thing is that until the last few years there was literally no grading system for robusta, and therefore no system to incentivize using the kind of care in cultivation and sorting that people do for arabica -- so fancy robusta only barely exists at the moment and we're probably nowhere near the peak of how good it could theoretically taste

also global warming's local effects are really complicated and arabica is grown over a pretty wide range of temperatures and altitudes, from what i've read it doesn't seem super likely that arabica disappears within our lifetimes, everything just becomes steadily more expensive, less good, and more economically precarious for farmers

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 29, 2021