Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

prom candy posted:

I am badly stuck on the last boss in Sekiro. Will this be another DS3 where I go "eh good enough" at the final boss and move on without actually beating the game? We'll find out!

Yeah this is where I quit. Still enjoyed the game but I don't have the time or patience to commit several hours a day to trying to beat a boss. I'm happy enough with where I got to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Final Veeg update for today, as we finish off with three hours of Night in the Woods! https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
It must be Edith Finch season, I just got around to playing that 2 nights ago myself. It was magical and devastating.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Escobarbarian posted:

Veeg is live finishing DMCV! I don’t understand anything that’s happening in this game. https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

emotions are whats happening. that whole end section, jesus. so good. tbf you have to have played the past 4 games for poo poo to click lol.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
holy poo poo DC Douglas, who voices wesker, straight up throwing out re4 remake concept art into the internet. guess it is real lmao. was hoping the leaks got confused with the VR game. he's playing wesker in the ada side stuff, so we get a remake of that too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DC Douglas you beautiful idiot I love you

He's Kira in the Diamond is Unbreakable anime and he's loving godlike in it

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Arist posted:

DC Douglas you beautiful idiot I love you

He's Kira in the Diamond is Unbreakable anime and he's loving godlike in it

im hearing rumours about him, i hope they are not true cos :negative: if so. its all twitter poo poo tho but still...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

haveblue posted:

Yes, if you put the suspend point in the cloud you can copy it back after the game consumes it. Make sure you turn off automatic sync first

Well, I go and disable auto synch and then I beat the boss without having to use the save scumming anyway.

I dunno if it was the lack of pressure I had about being beaten again or if I just had a good setup (25% health expansion and a level 1 pistol with homing shots) but I only got hit once during the whole fight.

I basically just did what you guys advised, stayed as far away as possible and focused on dodging while holding down the trigger.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Considering buying one of the following on sale:

No Man’s Sky
13 Sentinels
Lost Judgment
Yakuza LAD

Convince me for or against these please

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

edgar_ posted:

No Man’s Sky
13 Sentinels
Lost Judgment
Yakuza LAD

13 Sentinels is very nearly a one-of-a-kind game with some of the better sci-fi genre writing you'll encounter and a lot of gorgeous hand-drawn art

yakuza LAD is barebones for a jrpg and shits the bed in its final act but it's still a perfectly fine yakuza game at heart with plenty of high points

lost judgment is by many accounts mediocre, sometimes in ways that may retroactively sour you on the previous game, which is one of RGG's best. combat's supposed to be much improved though

no opinion on NMS

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

edgar_ posted:

No Man’s Sky

A light-year wide and an inch deep. If you get into the core loop of visiting a new planet, looking around at a cool landscape, collecting a bunch of crap, and then moving on you can play it forever. If you don't, it'll get old real fast. Can be played like a survival/exploration game, or as one of several flavors of space-oriented management sim, or both, or neither

quote:

13 Sentinels

Hybrid between turn-based strategy game and extremely complicated and extremely anime visual novel. Haven't played it but it was #4 in the last SA GOTY thread for what that's worth

quote:

Lost Judgment
Yakuza LAD

RPGs with a lot of melodrama and a lot of Japanese comedy

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Today was a great, GREAT day for gaming. Good grief.

Finished DMC5 AND What Remains of Edith Finch. One was bonkers and the other heartbreaking. My first walking simulator, which feels like a derogatory term now that I think about it. Some of it really affected LVG.

We are currently a couple of hours into Night in the Woods and it is awesome. Having silly fun doing voices again even if midway through I forget how I voiced a certain character.

Also thank you Thiccabod for this wonderful avatar, I get it now :D Also Greg Rulez. I would like to wear cups on my ears. :)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

edgar_ posted:

No Man’s Sky
13 Sentinels
Lost Judgment
Yakuza LAD

NMS is stupid easy and virtually everything in it has zero meat to the mechanics. The thing is that it's not really trying to be anything but that, it was clearly intended as a relaxing exploratory sandbox game with some very superficial base building and space combat. They added poo poo like player built colonies with NPCs but that's as simplistic as everything else. It depends on how much enjoyment you get from part swapped procedural generation on creatures and lumpy height map planets with an occasional interesting thing to find. I find it impossible to pay attention to, but some people find it zen.

Lost Judgement isn't as good as Judgement, but if you like the Yakuza style it's more of that, and it's story is still okay, I would only recommend it over Like a Dragon, which has a good af story and great side content, if you really don't like the idea of Like a Dragon's weird hybrid combat system (it's very good).

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What Remains of Edith Finch is so so good. When you realize what the "curse" actually is...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

edgar_ posted:

No Man’s Sky
13 Sentinels
Lost Judgment
Yakuza LAD

NMS is tedious as gently caress.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
thanks all, looks like i'm gonna grab 13 sentinels and since i have not played judgment i'll wishlist that one and remove lost judgment

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

space flight in no man's sky is nice in vr

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

oddium posted:

space flight in no man's sky is nice in vr

Yeah but if you wanted to play something insanely boring that looks several orders of magnitude more mindblowing in VR then you could just play Elite: Dangerous.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Elite Dangerous VR isn't available on Playstation.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

dingus

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I truly love No Man's Sky and will cheerfully express my heartfelt enthusiasm for it at any opportunity. It's more of a relaxing alternate reality with some musing on the nature of that, but by and large there isn't anything insurmountably challenging in the entire experience. That said, it being more a sandbox than a game per se means if you aren't capable of or aren't in the mood to make your own fun the experience may feel, for lack of a better word, tedious.

MUCH LIKE YOUR POSTING

It's not really for everyone, to be fair, but if you like chill exploration and a wide open sandbox there isn't much better or more accessible than No Man's Sky.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
NMS and ED are like two halves of the ultimate space game. NMS has detailed, beautiful planets with amazing landscapes and tools for exploring and exploiting them and stuff to discover and missions to do there and bases and aliens and vehicles and more, but the spaceships are just a way to get from A to B with only basic options, features, and customization. ED has detailed, beautiful spaceships with a ton of flexibility and customization options and opportunities to develop and show off piloting skill and complex flight mechanics that are basically ongoing minigames you play while traveling but all the planets are boring empty dirtballs with nothing to see or do for hundreds of miles

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

buy all the games and never play any thats the gamer(tm) lyfe

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Casnorf posted:

buy all the games and never play any thats the gamer(tm) lyfe

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I think I just don't like games that much anymore because it feels like 9 out of every 10 games I've bought over the past few years have been poo poo and disappointing. Disco Elysium was cool.

Edit: Untitled Goose Game was fun too.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 28, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

yakuza LAD is barebones for a jrpg and shits the bed in its final act

no it dont lol

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Yeah there's one twist that's silly but the final act of LAD absolutely rules

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Thundercracker posted:

Well, I'm giving up on Below Zero in the third act. I just find the glacial basin insanely tedious and annoying. Apparently I'm not missing much because the story is meh because the lead writer left half way through.

Sad that it's not an option on PS4 but on PC I literally cheated my way through the last part just to see the ending. It's pretty insane to me that walking on dry land is such a big part of a game called "Subnautica". You spend most of the game upgrading your movement under water and then you get onto land and you're moving at a speed slower than swimming without upgrades. The whole heavier focus on the story also kinds of makes me think that the original Subnautica was a stroke of luck more than anything else because the story is kind of boring which would be fine if it wasn't so front and center in Below Zero.

The actual ending is pretty cool to see I guess, though the whole time I was just thinking how much time and effort must they've spent on animating all of that, considering it's not used anywhere else in the game.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Loving Deathloop now. Just infiltrated Frank's club by hacking everything, and while it's not really anything that I've not done 1000 times before in a bunch of other games, it plays so well that it scratches that itch in a very satisfying way.

I like how it's absolutely A-OK to go in all guns blazing as well, most of the time. Once you have the hang of the shooting and a few slabs under your belt, you really don't have to just crawl your way through vents the whole time or whatever, which is pretty refreshing.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Thundercracker posted:

What Remains of Edith Finch is so so good. When you realize what the "curse" actually is...

What exactly is the curse meant to be? I thought it was left pretty unanswered but it's been a few years since I played it.

As for Returnal, it's pretty cool that the first biome gets new variations once you've beaten it. Gives you more reason to replay it. Does completing the other biomes keep adding more variation to it?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kin posted:

What exactly is the curse meant to be? I thought it was left pretty unanswered but it's been a few years since I played it.

As for Returnal, it's pretty cool that the first biome gets new variations once you've beaten it. Gives you more reason to replay it. Does completing the other biomes keep adding more variation to it?

they all have depression iirc

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

bop bop perano posted:

I’m late on this post, I meant to post it like 2 pages ago but I forgot to hit post, but I’ll post it anyways- Wow I didn’t think I’d have cracked the top posters in this thread, cause I hadn’t in the PS4 thread, but it turns out that was the old PS4 thread and I’m also in the top of the new ps4 thread.

But yeah The Medium is supposedly heavily influenced by zdzisław beksiński who rules and I’ve always wanted a game influenced by his art, but a game that’s not like Scorn that’s just like over the top gory and like generic horror, or like the medium which is just bad. Dark Souls 2’s Design works reminded me of some of his stuff though and it’s a shame those areas in the final game don’t quite look like they do in the book, as it’s quite detailed and a couple I’m thinking of look they have an organic look to them like this:

Didn’t see anyone respond to this. You want to play Returnal. The third Biome in particular is basically that one painting. I would say it’s so close it’s more a ripoff than just influenced, except so many different pieces of media say they are using Beksinski as inspiration but just completely flop while Returnal is actually really good.

Also I think Scorn is technically supposed to be an XBox exclusive (at least timed) but lol if it ever actually comes out for any platform. It was just delayed again. I imagine it’s one of those games that tries so hard to nail an aesthetic they forgot to actually add meaningful gameplay.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

they all have depression iirc

Eh, I just looked up the list of deaths and that's maybe only applicable to a bunch of them..

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

hypothetically, if I were to ruin my life and get into Destiny again what do I buy. last thing I bought was the Osiris dlc I think? Or the one after that that I don’t remember.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Frankston posted:

Yeah this is where I quit. Still enjoyed the game but I don't have the time or patience to commit several hours a day to trying to beat a boss. I'm happy enough with where I got to.

Oh man I'm glad you said something because I know you and I were playing at roughly the same time and I was thinking you just like casually beat the boss and didn't think it was worth posting about. I'm still going at it because there's nothing else I'm dying to play right now. Gotten to the third phase quite a few times but once the spear comes out it all falls apart.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

MechaSeinfeld posted:

hypothetically, if I were to ruin my life and get into Destiny again what do I buy. last thing I bought was the Osiris dlc I think? Or the one after that that I don’t remember.

Beyond Light plus the season pass. Forsaken becomes half-free next week. Don’t preorder Witch Queen unless you get fully all the way back into it

Also the Osiris content and anything else you may remember isn’t even in the game any more so it’s all going to be new and confusing

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

the content wasn’t particularly easy to follow in the first place and the story has never really lived up to the rest of the game so I don’t know if it’ll be a problem. Thanks!

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Pulcinella posted:

Didn’t see anyone respond to this. You want to play Returnal. The third Biome in particular is basically that one painting. I would say it’s so close it’s more a ripoff than just influenced, except so many different pieces of media say they are using Beksinski as inspiration but just completely flop while Returnal is actually really good.

Also I think Scorn is technically supposed to be an XBox exclusive (at least timed) but lol if it ever actually comes out for any platform. It was just delayed again. I imagine it’s one of those games that tries so hard to nail an aesthetic they forgot to actually add meaningful gameplay.

Oh yeah, I've played up until Biome 5, I was stuck on Biome 3 forever then I finally beat the boss and then biome 4 like with an hour of each other and I haven't played much since. But yeah, I was gonna mention Returnal having a mixture of that and like HR Giger and a vague Eldritch tentacle thing going on, and it is really cool. I like almost all of the stuff I've seen of his, but specifically I was thinking of the sort of house-made-of-vines look that that painting has which a few of the building designs in the concept art in the dark souls 2 design works have, but yeah mean i also like the art in Returnal a lot too. Specifically this from biome 3 reminds me of his stuff a lot, I feel like there's a more specific painting, or it at least feels like a mashup of a couple that I'm thinking of:

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Frankston posted:

I think I just don't like games that much anymore because it feels like 9 out of every 10 games I've bought over the past few years have been poo poo and disappointing. Disco Elysium was cool.

Edit: Untitled Goose Game was fun too.

Disco Eylsium is in my top 5 games of the last like decade along with Sekiro... and psst have you played Outer Wilds. Even though they're not in any way similar, Disco Elysium reminds me of Outer Wilds and vice versa, idk why, I think it's just cause it came out the same year a few months apart, and they're both made by super small teams and both are the debut games by the respective developers and also like way too good to be debut games, or made by such a small team.
(I know like my last 50 posts is basically me yelling about outer wilds, but in this case, I think it's worth mentioning ).

imhotep fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
If you like I could take over for a bit, I'm a bit behind on my telling-people-to-play-Outer-Wilds quota