Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

When did everyone in this thread become a virologist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

MrQwerty posted:

The certificates were handed out a few days ago - did you miss it?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I'm a Certified Film Buff (CFB).

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MrQwerty posted:

I do my own research :smug:

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

brugroffil posted:

Emergency medicine is going to take years to recover from the attrition

It's all of medicine dude. Ed is the one people think of first because they are the first gate. But every internal hospital area is shedding staff like water because guess what, insane ratios aren't safe. 1 to 4 in an ICU is impossible. 1 to 9 in med surge is so loving god awful and insane that it never should be happening but is.

Sidenote. After this holiday week and it's absolutely insane bullshit the hospital I'm at will lose 25 percent of the nursing staff because it's been utter hell. Literally hell or a mass casualty event would be better then this.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Two cases of Omicron have been confirmed in NSW, so add Australia to the list of countries where it's been detected.

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1464837049291186180

Lolie fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 28, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UCS Hellmaker posted:

It's people reading preprints that aren't verified and heavily skewed Twitter threads much like the one idiot that said omicron has an r value of 32, making it more infectious then the loving measles virus, a true airborne infective agent that being in the same building as someone that had it can cause infections.

Someone on Twitter guesstimated that Omicron might be up to 500% more transmissable than Delta and then someone else went "Well if Delta's R0 is 6 then 6x6 = 36!!!!" and people ran with it before the original guy went "No I was talking about Re not R0"

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I'm still lolling at that poster a few days ago who thought Omicron hadn't come to America yet

This is the variant that the maskless baby chuds are going to spread all over the country throughout December, if you've been using your booster to get a sense of normalcy for a little while then prepare for that to end. Hopefully it's less deadly/debilitating. Hopefully the vaccines are just as effective, or better yet even more effective. But we won't know for a long time, and catching such a highly-transmissible variant during that period of uncertainty seems unwise

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Omicron deez nutz, ha gotten

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

O M I C R O N
M O R O N I C

So what's next when we run out of random Greek alphabet names (Being that we skipped NU and XI)

Maybe start naming variants like Atlantic Hurricanes?

Here comes: Variant Karen

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Mne nravitsya posted:

So what's next when we run out of random Greek alphabet names (Being that we skipped NU and XI)

Constellations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mne nravitsya posted:

O M I C R O N
M O R O N I C

Constellations. If they're going alphabetically they'd kick off with the Andromeda variant

I can't wait for the Camelopardalis variant, that sounds cute

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

speculation: if Omicron does indeed cause notably different symptoms (less common or no loss of smell for example), would that suggest the Omicron spike protein has mutated enough that it binds differently to ACE2? so if there's no loss of smell, does that imply it's not as good at infecting the sensory/nerve cells that cause loss of smell/taste, but might be better at binding other cells which leads to the severe fatigue?

I guess what I'm asking is, would significantly different symptoms imply that Omicron spike has mutated enough that it's binding quite differently to ACE2 receptors?

There is also the possibility of the Omicron spike protein having different binding affinities to membrane components beyond ACE2 compared to other variants, like the different membrane lipids expressed in the different tissues/cell types. These things are always more complex than just "this protein recognizes this protein", as the environment where the interaction happens as well as any modifications to the proteins can have big effects on how they find and bind each other. Here is a paper where they discuss the probability of cell surface situated sialylated glycolipids facilitating SARS-nCOV-2 entry into cells.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34754101/

And before anyone asks my credentials, I am a biochemist with a background in lipid signaling and transport-research.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lolie posted:

Constellations.

Guessing they'll skip the Cancer Variant.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Lolie posted:

Constellations.

can't wait for the intersection of astrology and epidemiology:

As a Pisces, your birth sign means you are open to change and enjoy relationships where your partner coughs in your face.
You will find comfort in your respirator. Since Pisces is a water sign, you should seek out a triple-vaxxed Leo.

Mars is at its brightest, you should get three boosters. One each of Moderna, Pfizer, and J&J.

Beware the month of August. This is when Cancer is at its height and you are most susceptible to Omicron variant. During this time, seek out friends who are from Scorpio.
They will encourage you to watch the Wheel of Time series on Amazon Prime, which is very good.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Constellations. If they're going alphabetically they'd kick off with the Andromeda variant

I can't wait for the Camelopardalis variant, that sounds cute

Love it! Even better is when they get to Variant Antlia, which literally describes it's definition as: Air pump

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Set posted:

And before anyone asks my credentials, I am a biochemist with a background in lipid signaling and transport-research.

are you calling me fat.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

are you calling me fat.

When it comes to lipids, you are what you eat!

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Set posted:

When it comes to lipids, you are what you eat!

alfalfa, mostly

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Fritz the Horse posted:

alfalfa, mostly

Healthy and protein rich, dunno about lipid content.

Considering my breakfast, apparently for me it is: Garlic bread.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
It's kinda funny how at the exact same time I was being called a shitlib itt the other night I was posting about how to build a left-populist movement, educate people in leftist politics, direct action, general strike etc. Y'know, real shitlib Democrat stuff.

I'm a CIA op. I'm not actually a horse. Posting as a horse is deep cover.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Lolie posted:

Two cases of Omicron have been confirmed in NSW, so add Australia to the list of countries where it's been detected.

https://twitter.com/NSWHealth/status/1464837049291186180

good thing australia waited till they had a high vaccination rate before omicroning biden lmao

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

I have no doubt that Australia will return to a countrywide lockout of the world again within a few months. Edging towards the fall/winter.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Mne nravitsya posted:

I have no doubt that Australia will return to a countrywide lockout of the world again within a few months. Edging towards the fall/winter.

They were already winding down hotel quarantine even with >1000 new cases per day. The Victorian government wasn't able to contain Delta, so why bother imposing travel restrictions when Omicron's going to be circulating in the population anyway?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

https://todaynewsafrica.com/cnn-med...african-people/

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

STOP THE COUNT!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
After much angst the chuds have finally found a mask they are willing to wear,

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

There's gonna be covid forever.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

GolfHole posted:

There's gonna be covid forever.

Pretty much, will be a seasonal flu/covid shot from now on.

Tagnik
Nov 6, 2009
Florida first responder checking in. Alpha was nothing. Delta made people sick. Haven't seen this new one yet. Currently haven't seen COVID in a bit so I'm curious to what this one does

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

DickParasite posted:

They were already winding down hotel quarantine even with >1000 new cases per day. The Victorian government wasn't able to contain Delta, so why bother imposing travel restrictions when Omicron's going to be circulating in the population anyway?

Melbourne/Victoria is really the only place that has actually experienced some serious covid. Sydney had a fair bit, and QLD, WA, and SA have really not had their massive outbreaks yet, relative to population levels. Based on how jumpy the government has been for lockdowns, and being one of the few countries to ever go (besides NZ) full continent lock for 18+ months, i believe that Scotty would not hesitate to do it again.

Yeah, I’d love to go home to see my kids again one day, but i’m pretty much betting on a couple more years of this before I could easily go back to visit and not have to deal with hotel quarantines, lockdowns etc.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Too early to say but let's have some possible false hope:
Israel says no severe cases among those infected with omicron

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Show me your O face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlYyZ08cEg

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Dr. John has become a vaccine skeptic and an Ivermectin huckster, so not sure I'd be paying much attention to him anymore.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Dr. John has become a vaccine skeptic and an Ivermectin huckster, so not sure I'd be paying much attention to him anymore.

Yeah I saw an interview where he spoke with a guy spouting all the typical antivaxx comments, pretty interesting to watch. I'm curious if he'll go full antivaxx or if he's really just looking for data, and happened to be too polite to tell the guy to gently caress off. It would be amazing if a doctor with decades of experience and a bunch of education credentials turned antivaxx

the interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZZTPp-eYU

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Glad to see some goons say that about Dr. John. I saw one of his recent vids and it sounded like he wasn't against using Ivermectin as a treatment for covid or something, and you can imagine all the comments were "Finally! See! Big Pharma is hiding all these alternate yet working treatments!" I think he's just trying to share data he's found, but I'm getting a real "just asking questions" feeling from him, and it almost reminded me of a very polite Tucker Carlson (yup, that's an oxymoron) or something. Like he leaves open ended questions, and lets the viewer make their own assumptions, which is dangerous, as so many people are grasping for any data that fits their current views (correct or incorrect).

On today's vid, he said he got his booster earlier this week, but the shot wasn't aspirated, even though he asked for it to be. For someone who provides daily updates, and is a medical professional (I think?), for him to just go "oh well, go ahead" really makes me question his motives.

I hope I'm wrong (man I've been saying that a lot lately), as he's providing a valuable service assuming it's valid data.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

Glad to see some goons say that about Dr. John. I saw one of his recent vids and it sounded like he wasn't against using Ivermectin as a treatment for covid or something, and you can imagine all the comments were "Finally! See! Big Pharma is hiding all these alternate yet working treatments!" I think he's just trying to share data he's found, but I'm getting a real "just asking questions" feeling from him, and it almost reminded me of a very polite Tucker Carlson (yup, that's an oxymoron) or something. Like he leaves open ended questions, and lets the viewer make their own assumptions, which is dangerous, as so many people are grasping for any data that fits their current views (correct or incorrect).

On today's vid, he said he got his booster earlier this week, but the shot wasn't aspirated, even though he asked for it to be. For someone who provides daily updates, and is a medical professional (I think?), for him to just go "oh well, go ahead" really makes me question his motives.

I hope I'm wrong (man I've been saying that a lot lately), as he's providing a valuable service assuming it's valid data.

Been following him since he started covering Covid and all the recent Ivermectin talk had me going WTF :confused: have to say i'm not as trusting of him as i was but still subbed as at least he is a non UK gov view on this mess.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Give it a few months before he's posting on bitchute or rumble.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yeah I saw an interview where he spoke with a guy spouting all the typical antivaxx comments, pretty interesting to watch. I'm curious if he'll go full antivaxx or if he's really just looking for data, and happened to be too polite to tell the guy to gently caress off. It would be amazing if a doctor with decades of experience and a bunch of education credentials turned antivaxx

the interview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rZZTPp-eYU

He seems quite credulous of some fairly lovely studies, I remember last year he’d found some trash Dutch study that he thought proved HCQ worked but he didn’t pick up on some major flaws like the control group being considerably older and sicker than the HCQ group. I think he took it back eventually but I did see a few chuds I know pointing to it going “See!!”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Mne nravitsya posted:

Watch state borders get locked down again just before school/Christmas holidays.