Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Long time lurker, first time poster here.
Just wanted to say that the white buck put in the "deer sled" mysteriously lost about a third of its size on its way to the local outside (???) butcher before gaining it back there.
Also it's annoying how some actors act like they are cold and some are just walking around like it's summer. Fargo also had some of that signature TV-winter weirdness, some scenes look like it's -35C and some look like it's a nice sunny 10C spring day in the same day.

Looking forward to more hating and more salad cutting, let's hope this ride goes off the rails soon enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Back when he actually cared about the ritual, he'd decorate the kill room with pictures of the target's victims and related paraphernalia. It was never supposed to be pretend sport, it was supposed to be pretend justice.

I forgot about that part of the ritual (and so did Dexter :rimshot:). To be fair, he didn't have time to photograph the deer and print some photos.

tripwood posted:

Also it's annoying how some actors act like they are cold and some are just walking around like it's summer. Fargo also had some of that signature TV-winter weirdness, some scenes look like it's -35C and some look like it's a nice sunny 10C spring day in the same day.

Not everybody gets cold at the same rate :shrug:

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

itry posted:

Not everybody gets cold at the same rate :shrug:

At -35 that doesn't matter anymore. Everybody just looks like the outside is trying to kill them, because it is.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I have watched exactly 0 of this new season but I’m going to guess the ending is going to be his son becoming a serial killer and Dexter as his ghost dad.

They’re hoping for a reboot kinda like what The Sopranos just tried.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

tripwood posted:

Just wanted to say that the white buck put in the "deer sled" mysteriously lost about a third of its size on its way to the local outside (???) butcher before gaining it back there.

Looking forward to more hating and more salad cutting, let's hope this ride goes off the rails soon enough!

As someone who lives near where they shot this, that’s just how the weather is here, ranging from below zero to 60 degrees Fahrenheit during the winter. It’s just a consequence of shooting over multiple days on location.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Okay just saw episode 3.
If there are thermal cameras all over the woods, wouldn't DexterJim be spotted running around the woods all night again?
Also what's with the public cremation station in the village? What

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

As someone who lives in Northern BC, that's just winter. -11C can feel like a beautiful +10 day if the sun is fully out and the wind is down. Besides, you just get used to the cold. Even -20 to -30.

Truly the wind is what really makes winter an unbearable cold even if you're dressed for it-- -3 suddenly becomes -20, etc etc.

Actors not acting cold only bothers me if the scene or setting is supposed to be unbearably cold, or the characters have never been somewhere that cold. Harrison should be bundled up to a comical amount as he adjusts imho!!

Anyway Ghost Deb owns and I have been enjoying the season. Enjoying this thread more, though!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

His Divine Shadow posted:

This post makes me wish they'd bring in Øyvind Thorsby as a writer.
I wish anyone would bring him on as a writer.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

What is Øyvind Thorsby known for? Name doesn't ring a bell.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Extremely ugly and convoluted webcomics with oddly compelling storytelling and a real talent for farce beneath the layers of jank. Hitmen for Destiny and Trixie Slaughteraxe for President are the usual goon recommendations.

I only know what’s been posted in the PYF Comics thread and I kind of see the appeal? I would definitely be interested in someone producing his writing with someone else’s art.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tripwood posted:

Okay just saw episode 3.
If there are thermal cameras all over the woods, wouldn't DexterJim be spotted running around the woods all night again?
Also what's with the public cremation station in the village? What

My assumption is that the cameras in question are game cameras. Assuming they are cheap ones, rather than the modern type that store to an SD card, they might have to take them down in order to to actually pull the data from them.

It is a fairly dumb point, I'll grant, but not even in the top 200 of dumb poo poo Dexter has ever done.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Extremely ugly and convoluted webcomics with oddly compelling storytelling and a real talent for farce beneath the layers of jank. Hitmen for Destiny and Trixie Slaughteraxe for President are the usual goon recommendations.

I only know what’s been posted in the PYF Comics thread and I kind of see the appeal? I would definitely be interested in someone producing his writing with someone else’s art.

Checked out a bit of Hitmen for Destiny and it kinda reminds me of a Neil Gaiman story. Terrible drawings though.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Harrison is a hero

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm honestly impressed by the fact that I don't hate Harrison. I assume it's the actor, because the super smart, badass teen thing is immediately eye-rolling, but I expected him to be really annoying and I actually like him.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

I'm honestly impressed by the fact that I don't hate Harrison. I assume it's the actor, because the super smart, badass teen thing is immediately eye-rolling, but I expected him to be really annoying and I actually like him.

yeah same. I actually tried to look him up because he seems so familiar and he doesn't even have a wiki page

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

don't mind me, just bringing an entire martini kit in a bag to a police station instead of just drinking vodka or gin straight

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Harrison saying he doesn't remember Aunt Deb, "except for the swears" is my genuine favourite moment from at least the last four seasons of the show.

Bonding over fucknuggets

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hey, remember season 4? you guys like season 4, right?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Episode 3 is possibly the absolute nadir of the show as a whole. So many plot holes you could drive a Mack truck through, police dogs that can't sniff out a body meters away, and the furnace thing was just so jarring and unearned it bordered on parody.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The Harrison actor is good but the plot that episode is so cliche. Finding the one bullied kid and bonding with him, wow never seen that before our character must be a good dude

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Telling the jocks who are cheering you on to check themselves because they're lovely dudes is a pretty cool move though. Maybe it's also a cliché? I'm realizing I'm not well versed in teen drama and I don't intend to change that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

The Harrison actor is good but the plot that episode is so cliche. Finding the one bullied kid and bonding with him, wow never seen that before our character must be a good dude

I feel like this was purposeful, given what happened this episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Telling the jocks who are cheering you on to check themselves because they're lovely dudes is a pretty cool move though. Maybe it's also a cliché? I'm realizing I'm not well versed in teen drama and I don't intend to change that.

Extraordinarily cliche, although they did give you this hint that Harrison is delighted by how much of a budding school shooter the other kid is, so they're probably working toward some twist on the cliche there. At least that's how I read his reaction to the drawings.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Breetai posted:

Episode 3 is possibly the absolute nadir of the show as a whole. So many plot holes you could drive a Mack truck through, police dogs that can't sniff out a body meters away, and the furnace thing was just so jarring and unearned it bordered on parody.

there's always been dumb poo poo in dexter, right from the very beginning. in any event i hope you mean this season because need i remind you of the doomsday killers, louis and the brain surgeon

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol: at the school shooting plotline immediately firing off and being a fake-out.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

:lol: at the school shooting plotline immediately firing off and being a fake-out.

I think we're meant to think it's a Dexter style kill - Dexter certainly does - but I suspect Harrison just killed the kid because he was angry and needed an outlet. Which puts Jamie Chubg's podcaster in the headlights now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kinda disappointed they didn't bring back chubby forensics guy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if they will try to fakeout Clancy Brown being a serial killer too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I liked the extended Deb/Dex internal monologue/crime scene recreation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/PRIsKAn.mp4

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ghost Deb is saving this season singlehandedly

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Dexter's reaction at the very end of episode 4 was seriously disturbing and exactly what I wanted from this show.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

these scenes are good, they feel like something from a different show

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The fourth episode was... good? Not so-bad-it's-good, just good. Almost every scene had two currents going through it. What was shown on screen and what was only suspected at. Like the scene at the school; we know Harrison was aware of the drawings. He didn't need to point them out, that's understandable. But... did he plan this from the begining? Is that why he smiled when he saw those drawings on the phone? Is that why he approached the bullied kid to begin with?

The reconstruction scene was also pretty good. I like the way they utilized ghost Deb and the dream-like scenario of Dexter talking to her to "physically" reenact the stabbing. Just sliding in and out of reality.

It looks like they're establishing a sort of cycle; Harrison is Dexter, Kurt is Trinity (coming to "thank" Harrison personally. Giving him gifts.). The podcaster is incredibly annoying and probably has a killer fetish if she isn't a killer herself. Maybe she's going to be this series' Lila.

So going by Harrison's speech, the theme of the season is who wins - the "hero" or the "monster". Internally, or in the town itself too probably. The last 3 scenes establish who everyone is in the story. At least so far.

Also, yeah, Harrison's actor is pretty good.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

hey, remember season 4? you guys like season 4, right?

Not really, no :colbert:

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think we're meant to think it's a Dexter style kill - Dexter certainly does - but I suspect Harrison just killed the kid because he was angry and needed an outlet. Which puts Jamie Chubg's podcaster in the headlights now.

Or he's been planning it as a sort of "break glass in case of emergency" thing. Because there's no way it's the first time.

:woop: Ghost Deb :woop:

Could you include the couple of seconds with MCH too?

And maybe I missed/forgot something, but who is Josie?

itry fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 29, 2021

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I’m still enjoying this. Wanted to vent about the silliness of an amber type alert going out and the whole town flipping out. Completely unrealistic and a phone call to Dexter would have achieved the same thing. Just a silly moment for no reason.

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
The monologuing was especially terrible this episode.

"Blood never lies."
"The blood spatter doesn't add up."

"I totally get that."
"I totally get that."

So far this season has been boring the hell out of me, aside from a few moments here and there, but this episode was pretty alright. Ghost Deb continues to be a highlight, which is an unexpected surprise to me because Deb was grating as hell for the last few seasons of the original run. I'm also surprised at how much I'm enjoying Harrison's actor and the direction they're taking him. The last few episodes kinda set him up as this cliche as all gently caress super teen, but I really liked the payoff of him befriending that outcast kid and his speech at the end. As expected, Clancy Brown is doing great and I feel like his character has a good chance of being really compelling. Hopefully future episodes stay around this 45 minute mark because I feel like that definitely helped this episode.

Next episode's promo seems to be trying to imply Dexter has Harrison in a kill room. How the promo editors think anyone could buy into that is beyond me, especially after putting that whole "this is revenge" bit in a little bit earlier. We know Dexter isn't going to kill his son at the halfway point of the season. It's obviously gonna be whoever they're talking about there. Speaking of, who the hell are they talking about?

Also, this was the 100th episode of Dexter. Hooray.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 29, 2021

itry
Aug 23, 2019

JaddaCaddra posted:

The monologuing was especially terrible this episode.

"I totally get that."
"I totally get that."
I actually liked that one. Got a smirk out of me.

quote:

Also, this was the 100th episode of Dexter. Hooray.
:toot:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That was the best episode so far!

A lot of ways they could go with this. I kinda suspect this is all Harrison's long-term plan to get revenge on Dexter for abandoning him. A possible deathbed confession by Hannah that Dexter was a serial killer (maybe she's not even dead). Maybe Harrison is out to expose him.

I'm hoping for as campy an ending as possible obviously.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why the gently caress am I not getting the teasers on Crave? Then I YouTube it and get some low res horse poo poo from one of the billion gently caress knuckles on there who think people care to hear their reviews and breakdowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

It occured to me Kurt could have been testing that girl on whether or not she fits his idea of a properly behaved woman. Do we know anything about Matt's mother? Maybe that's how they met, and maybe she left him with Matt in a similar manner. And Now he's killing substitutes.

itry fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 29, 2021