Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

mysterious loyall X posted:

shaw brothers stuff wuxia and kung fu stuff is mostly pretty good. if you want more serious-ish minded stuff like crouching tiger or hero or w/e check out King Hu's movies like "come drink with me", "touch of zen," "dragon inn," etc. anything Cheng Cheh directed for more action and violence, or stuff like Five Deadly Venoms, kid with the golden arm, fatal flying guillotine etc. cheng chen in particular loves people getting impaled. iirc john woo was one of his assistant directors for a long time

Excellent, thank you for the recommendations. Just googling ten best Wuxia films for me nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also found a Spanish blu ray in European encoding so I can finally watch Harr Boiled

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Kung fu hustle kicks rear end

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
its bullshit that bluray region locking is a thing…..i bought redline on bluray and when i tried putting it in my playstation it just put up a big screen that said “MEDIA NOT SUPPORTED.” freaking fail.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gf wanted to watch this movie on HBO the little things and it sucks rear end

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

jackie chans early movies are extremely ftw as well. drunken master is god tier

this

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I was glad to get away from nihilistic horror for a while so I started a book about murder in the Roman Empire. It has a sweet description of the killing blow in gladiator matches. I also been watching bits and pieces of The Monster inside or whatever about the MPD guy and it’s making me think of The Three Christs of Ypsilanti (awesome book) and they made a movie based on it finally which I might see, featuring none other than Walton Goggins himself.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

going for a double header with: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

jackie chans early movies are extremely ftw as well. drunken master is god tier

police story is an all time great. wheels on meals has a very boring first half but the end scenes are worth it. benny the jet is a god

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Gf wanted to watch this movie on HBO the little things and it sucks rear end

Watch The Little Hours instead, it's funny. Allison Brie and Aubrey Plaza and Kate Micucci are nuns in a convent and huge pieces of poo poo to everyone it's great. Based on the Decameron iirc

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fortaleza posted:

Watch The Little Hours instead, it's funny. Allison Brie and Aubrey Plaza and Kate Micucci are nuns in a convent and huge pieces of poo poo to everyone it's great. Based on the Decameron iirc

Aubrey Plaza and Allison Brie you say? *sucks in gut and straightens collar* tell me more

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Excellent, thank you for the recommendations. Just googling ten best Wuxia films for me nowhere

Five Element Ninjas kicks rear end

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Joey pants is such a sick name

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

Watch the passolini decameron instead and admire all the Italian dicks. Were talkimg fully erect scrote amd balls and pubes and urethra showing folks. Now thays art

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Watch the passolini decameron instead and admire all the Italian dicks. Were talkimg fully erect scrote amd balls and pubes and urethra showing folks. Now thays art

lol

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Aubrey Plaza and Allison Brie you say? *sucks in gut and straightens collar* tell me more

Oh there's T&A, don't you worry.

light years ahead of us...

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Looks like Christopher’s going to “jack a load” of these “pokey-man cards” lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Joey pants is such a sick name

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HolePisser1982 posted:

going for a double header with: The 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Once he finally gets to train and starts advancing through the chambers it's like the movie turns into the greatest training montage of all time, I need to watch the sequel

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

its bullshit that bluray region locking is a thing…..i bought redline on bluray and when i tried putting it in my playstation it just put up a big screen that said “MEDIA NOT SUPPORTED.” freaking fail.

Why the gently caress is that a thing lmao, I had no idea

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Why the gently caress is that a thing lmao, I had no idea

im guessing european bluray disks can only be played on 50hz devices attached to cathode ray tubes

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Martman posted:

Once he finally gets to train and starts advancing through the chambers it's like the movie turns into the greatest training montage of all time, I need to watch the sequel

dude, YES. slow going at first, but once he’s powering up youre rooting for him so hard. awesome

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Martman posted:

Sequel is great, more comedic, but still very badass

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

the chamber of shaolin thats just headbutting poo poo, and the shaolin master of it having this huge mound of scar tissue on his forhead, was extremely good

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
the 36 chambers is so good.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Arrhythmia posted:

the 36 chambers is so good.
*thinking about wu tang and the kung fu film simultaneously*

I agree

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mbt posted:

*thinking about wu tang and the kung fu film simultaneously*

I agree

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lol

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003
i absolutely love kung fu, martial arts, wuxia, etc films. add “the magnificent butcher” to the list of good must watch list. you can also go into kung fu/horror with something like “black magic” or “mr vampire” with lots of fun jiangshi.

a few more: master of the flying guillotine, iron monkey, fist of legend, basically everything choreographed or directed by Lau Kar-leung or Yuen Woo-ping.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
his name is woo-ping because you'll be "whooping" with delight at his fantastic films. I give it five bags of a popcorn and 2 sodas.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

In Training posted:

his name is woo-ping because you'll be "whooping" with delight at his fantastic films. I give it five bags of a popcorn and 2 sodas.

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

In Training posted:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Pragmatica posted:

i absolutely love kung fu, martial arts, wuxia, etc films. add “the magnificent butcher” to the list of good must watch list. you can also go into kung fu/horror with something like “black magic” or “mr vampire” with lots of fun jiangshi.

a few more: master of the flying guillotine, iron monkey, fist of legend, basically everything choreographed or directed by Lau Kar-leung or Yuen Woo-ping.

will definitely be checking out Beverly Hills Ninja based upon your recommend

update: This is INCREDIBLE. Holy poo poo!

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Jesus, I guess this guy died before he got to make another martial arts film. Thats crazy…

Pragmatica
Apr 1, 2003

HolePisser1982 posted:

will definitely be checking out Beverly Hills Ninja based upon your recommend

:sweatdrop:

In Training posted:

lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HolePisser1982 posted:

Jesus, I guess this guy died before he got to make another martial arts film. Thats crazy…

Lol. I saw that movie in theaters like 3 times as a kid

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

In Training posted:

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Lol. I saw that movie in theaters like 3 times as a kid

yeah my parents had to watch that poo poo repeatedly. and now it will always be my first mental association with meditation