Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for making my daughter wear a dress

quote:

I'm a mother of 4 children ages 15f, 14f, 7m, and 5m. My second daughter is kinda of a tomboy. She hates the color pink, wearing dresses,skirts,purses, shopping, etc. She's the type for stay home and watch TV, stay cooped up in her room, loves to skateboard,play video games paint, loves snakes, and is afraid of almost nothing. When my daughter was in 7th grade( she's an 8th grader now) her school was have an awards ceremony were the parents could watch online. My daughter asked to wear a suit but I refused she got upset saying that she hated wearing dresses and their wasn't even a reason because she wasn't gonna get an award anyway ( she got best student award) so the week before the ceremony I took her shopping for a dress but as we walked into the shop she looked pissed saying she didn't want a stupid dress.

I took her to the dress section hopping that she just stop complaining and find a dress. I let her wonder the isle for a bit while I looked at a differnt dress. I say her come back with a long black dress that looked like it wouldn't fit her. She said she wanted this one I took a closer look at the dress and noticed that it didn't show anything it was a long sleeve dress that reached to her ankles. I told her no because it looked to depressing she looked pissed but put it back on the rack as I kept wondering I found a black knee high dress that I thought the would like when I showed it to her she said " it shows off to much of my legs" my daughter has a big scar on her leg right under her knee that she hates because everyone asked questions about it.

She came out with another ankle lenth dress that was short sleeved and had little ball like thing on the sleeves. She tried it on and said she liked it. So I bought it for her. The night before her ceremony I called her sister and told her to let her borrow some earring and a necklace abd some chopstick to keep her from picking at her lips during the ceremony.My daughter got mad and saying that she didn't want to look so preppy for some stupid event. I told her it's just for about 3 hours so get over it and she could bring some clothes to change out of after she was done. After the ceremony when she got home from school I noticed how angry she looked. But I don't have any regrets about making her wear a dress but a small part of me feels guilty.

AITA?

(Added para breaks for readability)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Blue Moonlight posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they got exactly the response they wanted, then edited their post to make it look like the thread was fawning over a racist rear end in a top hat (AKA the sort of fuckery we have the “Soandso hosed around with this message” label on our edits to prevent).

Here's a diff of the original post vs the one Cowslips posted:

< My brother got extremely upset, called me a paranoid rear end in a top hat. He told me about how men constantly get unfairly accused of being a "t0ddler f0ndler" for any kind of interaction with kids, like when they take them to a park and so forth. He made me feel bad for my reaction and so I apologized, but in retrospect I still think him wiping my son's but without even asking my permission was a red flag, but I'm still confused about it.
---
> My brother got extremely upset, called me a paranoid rear end in a top hat. He told me about how men constantly get unfairly accused of being a "t0ddler f0ndler" for any kind of interaction with kids, like when they take them to a park and so forth. He reminded me that he was doing me a favour helping me take care of my little "Jigaboo" and that I most likely won't find many other Caucasian men willing to do so. He made me feel bad for my reaction and so I apologized, but in retrospect I still think him wiping my son's but without even asking my permission was a red flag, but I'm still confused about it.

50s girl groupon
Jul 17, 2010

I woke up like this

Evil Willow posted:

This makes me irrationally angry. Why is it so important to this mom that her daughter wears specifically a dress in tyool 2021? It smacks of being worried the daughter is going to turn out to be some flavor(s) of LGBT.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hughlander posted:

Here's a diff of the original post vs the one Cowslips posted:

< My brother got extremely upset, called me a paranoid rear end in a top hat. He told me about how men constantly get unfairly accused of being a "t0ddler f0ndler" for any kind of interaction with kids, like when they take them to a park and so forth. He made me feel bad for my reaction and so I apologized, but in retrospect I still think him wiping my son's but without even asking my permission was a red flag, but I'm still confused about it.
---
> My brother got extremely upset, called me a paranoid rear end in a top hat. He told me about how men constantly get unfairly accused of being a "t0ddler f0ndler" for any kind of interaction with kids, like when they take them to a park and so forth. He reminded me that he was doing me a favour helping me take care of my little "Jigaboo" and that I most likely won't find many other Caucasian men willing to do so. He made me feel bad for my reaction and so I apologized, but in retrospect I still think him wiping my son's but without even asking my permission was a red flag, but I'm still confused about it.

Yeahhhh, the "he made me feel bad for my reaction" makes a lot more sense when it doesn't come immediately after calling the kid a slur

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Every time I learn a new slur, I immediately regret learning it.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

quote:

their wasn't even a reason because she wasn't gonna get an award anyway ( she got best student award)

As someone who's been in this exact situation/mindset, this line got to me :smith:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Yeahhhh, the "he made me feel bad for my reaction" makes a lot more sense when it doesn't come immediately after calling the kid a slur

The interesting thing to me is that the NBA/rapper line is in there originally.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hughlander posted:

"Just to make it clear I'M not the ONLY racist, my brother who is caring for my child is as well. Just, you know. If that helps you guys stop flaming me"

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Evil Willow posted:

It’s been 15+ years since prom and I am STILL mad at my mother for pulling this poo poo with me. I hated the dress she made me buy. She denies it was her idea but she refused every other option I gave (suit, a black ballgown, etc) and insisted on light blue with scratchy beading.

Jokes on her, still turned out non-binary and queer! Just with a dash of bitter instead.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Evil Willow posted:

Well, at least she bought the dress the daughter chose instead of just picking one out for her. That's all I can say in her favor.

I had a similar awards thing in 8th grade and would have been mortified if my parents insisted on me going all out for it. If this one was anything like mine, it was incredibly boring and something only the parents cared about.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ChickenDoodle posted:

It’s been 15+ years since prom and I am STILL mad at my mother for pulling this poo poo with me. I hated the dress she made me buy. She denies it was her idea but she refused every other option I gave (suit, a black ballgown, etc) and insisted on light blue with scratchy beading.

Jokes on her, still turned out non-binary and queer! Just with a dash of bitter instead.

Forcing me into constant dresses gave me some really lovely dislike of girls/women who conform to expectations and enjoy those things that I had to really work out of my head over the course of years. For a while, I wondered if I was trans, because I was just so miserable being a woman.

Turns out I'm fine with my gender as long as people don't force me into pink dresses and makeup. :shrug: Really makes those "they're convincing kids to be trans!" people look like morons.

wizardofloneliness posted:

Well, at least she bought the dress the daughter chose instead of just picking one out for her. That's all I can say in her favor.

I had a similar awards thing in 8th grade and would have been mortified if my parents insisted on me going all out for it. If this one was anything like mine, it was incredibly boring and something only the parents cared about.

Oh she did the same thing my mom did which was force me to keep shopping until I picked a dress she also approved of. I can assure you it still sucks. Playing a game of "what do I hate more, how this looks, how this feels, or staying here a minute longer."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hughlander posted:

The only reason it would not be racist is if the baby's father is playing NCAA or actual NBA ball, and posting a ton of stuff on his socials about rapping. Even then if he's not in college she should be getting child support or something.

One of those "tell me how you really feel" statements where it's either 100% true or just some weird racist insult.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That word and brother is 100% racist there’s no not racist context/use for it.

It’s a relatively “minor” and obscure slur but the fact he used it at all means there’s no other context or guesswork about the rest of the stuff it’s just all bad.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

That word and brother is 100% racist there’s no not racist context/use for it.

It’s a relatively “minor” and obscure slur but the fact he used it at all means there’s no other context or guesswork about the rest of the stuff it’s just all bad.

They’re not talking about the J word, they’re talking about the rapper/basketball player comment made by op. The racial slur supposedly from the brother was edited in after YTA verdicts started rolling in.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DreamingofRoses posted:

They’re not talking about the J word. Read better.

Never

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Quickly editing out a bad attempt to get an own in, the shame, the shame

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

I edited it for being needlessly aggressive, sorry.

What do you do if you love perfume and your partner claims that perfume gives them headaches?Just wear it and spend time on your own, smelling yourself?

quote:

This is a past issue, obviously I divorced the person who claims this because I figured there was no use. What am i to do? Sneak off into a little corner and smell myself for a few hours and then wash it off and live with my partner the rest of the day?

I was telling this to some people at work and they snubbed me for refusing to change for my at-the-time-partner, saying that I was supposed to throw away all my perfume (and scented lotions etc) and give it up entirely for my spouse. So, if I'm to follow their advice, this seems like a very one-sided thing where I'm compromising everything and my supposed partner compromising nothing. People are also mad because I told them that instead of changing my lifestyle, i just divorced the partner.

Just curious what other people's viewpoints are on this matter.

Note to mods: Please remove this if i'm posting in the wrong place, thanks :)

EDIT: my ex claimed to have post concussion syndrome after accidentally bumping their head on the cupboard under the sink (hospital confirmed no damage on scans, no blackout or anything), so the perfume was just one of a gazillion things he "couldn't handle". So basically anything loud, busy, visually stimulating, scented etc. was a problem. So the perfume isn't the only thing that made me divorce this person but it definitely was a factor. The major reason was because I just wasn't able to live the lifestyle I wanted to if i was going to stick it out with this over-sensitive baby of a partner. Yeah, its " romantic" and "sweet" to see partners sticking together when one is sick but in all honestly, I felt held back and didn't like my life anymore. So I divorced my spouse and people don't like it cause I guess they all had to shut up and stick it out with their partners when they were sick and now that they see me just divorcing and moving on, maybe they're a tad jealous??!

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

DreamingofRoses posted:

What do you do if you love perfume and your partner claims that perfume gives them headaches?Just wear it and spend time on your own, smelling yourself?

impressive how sheerly sociopathic yet relatively begin she is

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

impressive how sheerly sociopathic yet relatively begin she is

She smells horrible and knows it.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
From legaladvice:

My half-sister(8) is at her aunt, and she won't give her back

quote:

Well long story short I live with my dad, little sister, and little brother. And since it's Thanksgiving break, (school was out on Wednesday - Friday) my sister said if she can go with her aunt and of course my dad said yes. Now, I don't talk with her side of the family a lot so I had no first impressions, so I just kept it at that.

That's when my dad told me she lived 5 hours away, I was a bit surprised, but my dad said they would meet half way. Anyways they got her and everything was fine dandy. Eventually it was Sunday and we were going to pick her up because she has school.

I woke up early and saw my dad on the couch with his hand on his forehead. The conversation went like this:
(For the sake of the story my sisters name will be jessie)

Me: "aren't we going to pick up jessie"

Dad: "Her aunt won't give her back. and I don't know where they live"

Me "Oh.. uhhh.. what about school"

Dad: "I've talked about that to her but she wants her."

Me: "well that's a problem"

Dad: "yep, I might need to get a lawyer"

Me: "oh"

Dad: "yeah"

And from there we just went about our day, now I tried to contact Jessie directly because her aunt won't let us talk to her. And frankly I don't know if we can afford a lawyer now. So I came to reddit, what should we do?

Fast edit: I was talking to my dad while writing this and told me some recent news about the situation and said that jessie is with her mom (my step-mom) now. Honestly not sure how that works because her mom has a complicated transportation situation. So currently jessie is with her mom, and my dad doesn't know where she live either.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for not warning my cousins that my fiancé could understand them when they were speaking about him in a different language?

quote:

My fiancé comes from a very mixed background and speaks a lot of languages. His great grandmother comes from the same country as my grandparents so he speaks Urdu too. A lot of people assume he’s just white, though, and just looking at him you wouldn’t guess he has Pakistani ancestry.

Three of my cousins met him for the very first time on Saturday. In front of him, they switched to Urdu and were asking me questions about him including where did I find this hot white man. I told them to stop and they did and switched back to English. My mum called me to help her set the table for dinner so I left them alone with my fiancé.

While I was gone, they switched back to Urdu and were making inappropriate comments about my fiancé. He said he found it funny and when they were wondering if they should ask me if the white man was good in bed he told them I wouldn’t know yet in Urdu and they freaked out. They ended up leaving before dinner because they were so mortified and then today, they called me to yell at me for not telling them and claimed they were only joking around and never would’ve said any of those things if they knew he understood. They did apologise to my fiancé but still blame me for not warning them since they had no way of knowing he would understand them and I knew they liked to make dumb jokes.

AITA?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for not warning my cousins that my fiancé could understand them when they were speaking about him in a different language?

LMFAO, NTA.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Am I reading it right that they’re getting married before ever having sex

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

DreamingofRoses posted:

I edited it for being needlessly aggressive, sorry.

OP is obviously deranged but how did they marry without this ever coming up

unless the implication is that they banged their head and this all came up later but

how did it not at least come up that OP is deranged and her husband should never have married her

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Mx. posted:

OP is obviously deranged but how did they marry without this ever coming up

unless the implication is that they banged their head and this all came up later but

how did it not at least come up that OP is deranged and her husband should never have married her

The implication is that her husband banged his head Once, and then complained about feeling like crap afterwards, and that was enough to make OP go "nope, you're a whiny baby, the doctors checked and you're fine, I should be able to bathe in perfume and play loud music all I want, I want a divorce".

Basically, OP couldn't go more than a couple days before being told to hold off on the perfume was too much for them to bear, and they're not happy that everyone in their life is less than sympathetic about their divorce.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Ziv Zulander posted:

Depending on the family, it might be wise to say that, whether or not it’s true.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

Depending on the family, it might be wise to say that, whether or not it’s true.

Its this, dude did the perfect response

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA For Refusing to Make a $120 Cut of Steak Well Done?

quote:

So, we did a bit of an extravagant Friendsgiving this year as I lucked into a strip loin of A5 Wagyu for a price that was unorthodox levels of cheap (My friend works for a high-end meat distributor and received it as a gift) it was a tight-knit event with only 10 of us there, mostly couples including my friend who only started dating a girl within the last couple months. We had an array of dishes but I was responsible for cooking the meat. Steak is about the closest thing I have to a religion and I take it very seriously. The average steak for me takes about 4-5 hours to prepare and cook from the sous vide to the cast iron, to plate though sometimes I take as much as 3-4 months butter aging or dry aging my meats to be certain that they are perfect. These were genuine A5 so I only sous vide them after cutting them into two inch steaks. There was pretty perfectly enough for one each but I also made jerk chicken, mandarin duck breast, and a nice cut off cherry jalapeno salmon. I had quite the spread. I sous vide them to medium-rare to be sure the fat was well-rendered but informed them that if absolutely necessary, I'd bring them up to medium on request.

Well, here comes the new girl to the group. She sees the first person cut into their steak and sees pink and she is just mortified. Immediately she acts him of eating raw meat and stresses that the steak should be, "Brown all the way through or else you'll get sick." I informed her that this wasn't the case and that these steaks were actually cooked to the ideal temperature for the cut. She immediately demanded that I cook hers till it was brown all the way through and I firmly said, "Not a chance." She proceeded to get angry and yell that it was her steak and she should have it how she liked. I told her that there were plenty of other meats to choose from as well as a plethora of side-dishes that she could have but her steak was not being made well-done in my house. She said, "loving rear end in a top hat." Then she got up and started to stick the steak in the microwave. I shot up and grabbed it out of her hand first at which point half of the steak fell onto the ground. My dogs quickly got to it to which I said, "Well, at least it went to someone who wouldn't poo poo on a good steak." From there, there was definitely tension from that end of the table. They ate a little bit then hurriedly left.

Since then, my long-time friend and his new girlfriend have blocked me on social media and my phone number. They've even gone so far as to block the rest of the people at the table and cut off all ties. Yesterday I received a PayPal invoice from my old friend for $25 that just said, "Pay for dry cleaning of her dress." I don't think anything actually spilled on her, I think it's just more drama but as of now I'm ignoring it and, unfortunately, probably washing my hands clean of an old friend.

AITA here?

::EDIT::

I should've stated that a menu was sent weeks in advance with the express point that if someone wanted their steak cooked to a higher temperature I'd really go to the grocery store and get some USDA Prime for them.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
'Tricking' people into thinking you don't speak their language so they badmouth you right in front of you and can be embarrassed to death shortly thereafter is one of life's greatest gifts

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Yeah normally let people eat food the way they want but what the gently caress why even eat nice steak if you want it well done much less a rare delicacy

E: on second thought she could be pregnant or something and he took it way too far either way so host also sucks too so everyone in this story is terrible

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 29, 2021

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Evil Willow posted:

[...]
The average steak for me takes about 4-5 hours to prepare and cook from the sous vide to the cast iron, to plate though sometimes I take as much as 3-4 months butter aging or dry aging my meats to be certain that they are perfect.
[...]

*deep breath*
Aaaaaahahahahaaha, what a poser.

Who does he think he's impressing with that horseshit, does he think (or does he think that others think) that chefs slave for hours prepping with a sou vide? They chuck it in a sealer, chuck it in the water and walk away doing other stuff. It's like saying you slaved for hours over an oven-cooked pizza, trying to act like cooking time is effort.

Pretentious ignorant incompetent rear end in a top hat.

edti: that account is Nine years old, and he's been consistent about this in prior posts. This is it people, it is an actual walking caricature!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 29, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah normally let people eat food the way they want but what the gently caress why even eat nice steak if you want it well done much less a rare delicacy

E: on second thought she could be pregnant or something and he took it way too far either way so host also sucks too so everyone in this story is terrible

I was tending to ESH but his edit makes her TA

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Blue Moonlight posted:

Yeah the cousins are joking about asking that so as far as they are concerned it's obviously a possibility, but dinner with your SO's mum and cousins is not the right time to start boasting about your sex life.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

'Tricking' people into thinking you don't speak their language so they badmouth you right in front of you and can be embarrassed to death shortly thereafter is one of life's greatest gifts
They even got asked to stop by the OP first!

As for racist OP and maybe-racist brother depending on if you believe the edit or not, the OP remains an rear end in a top hat whether or not the brother said slurs. The brother just might be one as well. Either way, OP sucks for several reasons.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Evil Willow posted:

every part of this is a lol

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Propaniac posted:

From legaladvice:

My half-sister(8) is at her aunt, and she won't give her back

I'm not 100% sure your half-sister is alive anymore

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Dad is roughly slightly less concerned about his misplaced 8 year old child as I am when I cannot remember where I put my phone/keys but don’t have any urgent reason to need them

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Ziv Zulander posted:

Gallant plays it cool and doesn't blow up his spot by making crude sexual jokes in Urdu at his first family function.

Goofus yells "Giddy up!" and mimes riding his significant other like a bucking bronco.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Dad is roughly slightly less concerned about his misplaced 8 year old child as I am when I cannot remember where I put my phone/keys but don’t have any urgent reason to need them

It could be shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

DreamingofRoses posted:

I hope she tells this story to all her future partners on the first date because they deserve fair warning - we require Surgeon General's Warnings on cigarettes and this woman's narcissism is more toxic than that.