Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CM VS QT 1 1.12%
GUNNS VS BEARS 2 2.25%
ROSA VS HAYTER 29 32.58%
DANIELSON VS CABANA 8 8.99%
FTR, ANDRADE AND BLACK VS DEATH QUADRILOGY 49 55.06%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

STAC Goat posted:

I'd like to see Hangman be a really fighting champion proving that for as long as he had to wait and hard the road was he's happy to give back opportunity and make those who follow him take an easier road. And of course winning establishes him as a great champion.

I don't know that I would have made his first defense such a protracted feud but that's balanced out by Danielson doing great work and likely making Hangman look great.

As long as the title defense is before the next ppv it won't feel protracted in the long run I think. I figure its happening at Winter is Coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shard posted:

As long as the title defense is before the next ppv it won't feel protracted in the long run I think. I figure its happening at Winter is Coming

Yeah, that's not bad at all if it happens then. I was thinking they might push it back to Battle of the Belts and I'm an old fart who is a stickler for "30 days" but its totally fine as of now.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

ozymandius1024 posted:

And even if it is to WWE, I will just assume that they know what they're signing up for and that it's retirement cash (or just an absolutely massive amount of money for them, in the case of someone like MJF). I would treat them the same as the folks I currently like in WWE, I hope they do well and are successful, but I'm never going to watch the product.

This is called 'doing a Nakamura' on a wrestlers part.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, that's not bad at all if it happens then. I was thinking they might push it back to Battle of the Belts and I'm an old fart who is a stickler for "30 days" but its totally fine as of now.

It'll be Battle of the Belts I reckon. A huge marquee match for their new show and also there's not really enough time to get a decent new feud in after WiC, it's only a few weeks gap

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I guess I should go back and watch them again to be sure but I feel like Britt's last couple of matches don't compare favorably even to her own previous work. Maybe I'm imagining it
I've been skimming through the first year and two-thirds-ish of AEW that I wasn't watching before and, on the bigger nights, I've hunted down the old threads here to see what the reactions where, and really it seems to have only been since the start of this year that Britt has been met with anything other than absolute disdain. It's actually pretty funny to see just how much she was reviled and mocked, and so relatively recently, compared to how (rightly) beloved she is now. Of her older matches I've now watched, it doesn't surprise me; she seems to have been total garbage until her nose was broken, then merely mediocre until about February of this year, just in time to get good for the lights out match with Rosa.

FWIW I think Britt's great and I've enjoyed each time she's popped up on my catch-up bingeing, but that's mostly down to her character and presentation rather than the quality of her wrestling itself. She definitely has only gotten better over time and nothing she did pre-lights out is really worth watching. For me, Britt's only categorically good singles matches are vs Rosa, Abadon, Statlander and Tay, all of which have been this year and three of which have just been in the last three months; Statlander in September, Abadon in October and Tay in November. Everything prior to this year is just fine to poor.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Britt's character turned around the start of last year and was pretty universally loved around here (Chubby Whataburger Faces was fantastic) even if her wrestling was still pretty bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Britt had a sloppy defense against Nyla but had really good or great defenses against Red Velvet, Statlander and Tay Conti, a super fun gimmick match against Abadon and a good TV match with Riho. Does it compare to Kenny Omega? No, but it compares very favorably to any of AEW's other singles champions. To her and her opponents credit the crowd ended the Statlander and Conti matches much hotter than they started them too.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Battle of the Belts (and Clash of the Champions) is a semantically weird name for an event for me. The champions aren't fighting each other, they're just defending their belts like normal. At Clash of the Champions, the Champions aren't actually clashing. Wrestling companies can't keep getting away with twisting the English language like this.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

That's another point, actually. She was doing her best work with stuff like "Chubby whattaburger faces" to the point where I'd argue that's what got her over in the first place - and then she just kinda stopped when she won the belt? Now while she'll go in on other wrestlers she doesn't do it so much with the crowd or anything.

Presumably they're steering out of that because of her being more popular? I'm a massive idiot who's only really been watching wrestling since AEW came along, but why would you stop doing the main thing that got you over in the first place?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

CaptainApathyUK posted:

That's another point, actually. She was doing her best work with stuff like "Chubby whattaburger faces" to the point where I'd argue that's what got her over in the first place - and then she just kinda stopped when she won the belt? Now while she'll go in on other wrestlers she doesn't do it so much with the crowd or anything.

Presumably they're steering out of that because of her being more popular? I'm a massive idiot who's only really been watching wrestling since AEW came along, but why would you stop doing the main thing that got you over in the first place?

because before the crowd was entirely apathetic towards her, and now everyone screams D M D as soon as she lifts her finger, she's just very popular with the crowd now so she doesn't really need to go in on them to get a reaction from them

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I hope Hangman beats Danielson and Punk in a very competitive match to catapult his fame to star status. And then I hope he loses it to continue his "Anxious Millennial Cowboy" gimmick where he tries his damnest to be better than where he was during his first reign.

Hangman is definitely working the coming of age cowboy and I hope he goes the route of the no fucks given badass of Steve Austin.

Pistol Packin Poet fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 29, 2021

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

yeah, i vaguely remember her match with rhio during the first month of dynamite and all that she was known for was being a dentist irl and being romantically involved with the nxt champion

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Vertical Lime posted:

yeah, i vaguely remember her match with rhio during the first month of dynamite and all that she was known for was being a dentist irl and being romantically involved with the nxt champion

in fact she had a match with swole on i forget which ppv that was like the first aew cinematic match which they did in and around her dentist office and i believe ended with swole throwing her in the trash

it wasn't terrible but also it was not very good

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

boxcarhobo posted:

in fact she had a match with swole on i forget which ppv that was like the first aew cinematic match which they did in and around her dentist office and i believe ended with swole throwing her in the trash

it wasn't terrible but also it was not very good

I think that was All Out 2020 so it was after the first Stadium Stampede and yeah, it wasn't great, but Britt got stabbed with a shoot syringe so I give her credit for that.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I can never objectively rate Britt since I'm also from Pittsburgh, but she's generally a highlight of the show for me. More so for promos than for wrestling, though, especially if it's an interaction with Tony.

I rate Shida as my favorite woman's champ so far (even with all of the challenges that AEW faced at the time) but Britt is a close second for me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Britt had a sloppy defense against Nyla but had really good or great defenses against Red Velvet, Statlander and Tay Conti, a super fun gimmick match against Abadon and a good TV match with Riho. Does it compare to Kenny Omega? No, but it compares very favorably to any of AEW's other singles champions. To her and her opponents credit the crowd ended the Statlander and Conti matches much hotter than they started them too.
t/f: sammy has been the worst tnt champion so far

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!
I think I like Britt's developing character more than her actual title reign. She definitely deserves the screentime, but she overshadows the title. It's more of a fashion accessory than a designation that she's the Champ. She doesn't need the title at the moment. Her character can take the lost.

Also, I think Reba has been entertaining outside the ring and Hayter's absolutely rips in the ring. I hope Hayter does not get lost in the shuffle. She absolutely deserves to be in the spotlight as much as Britt.

Coaaab posted:

I agree. While the match and moment against Miro was amazing, AEW needs to promote his strengths more to make his reign better.

Pistol Packin Poet fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 29, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Coaaab posted:

It has been better than Cody's second reign and frankly getting Jay Lethal's best match in like 7 years is pretty notable.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Coaaab posted:

cody's 2nd reign

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

It’s going to be very hard for anyone to top Miro’s reign.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All of Sammy's defences have been awesome, the problem is he gets sucked into whatever Jericho's doing and being overshadowed by that

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Rarity posted:

All of Sammy's defences have been awesome, the problem is he gets sucked into whatever Jericho's doing and being overshadowed by that

I will say that I have gotten “Hogan being with the NWO to keep his shine” vibes from Jericho and the inner circle (specifically Sammy).

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Some time in the last few months I started groaning every time Jericho is on screen. I just feel like he's the weakest link in the Inner Circle right now. Except maybe Hager.

Him saving Eddie was also very eeeeh.

But let's see where it goes.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Sammy's TNT run is being booked the same as Darby's. Hold the title for a bit while you're wrapped up in some faction warfare, then start putting on out rapidfire defenses.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Odd decision, not sure why they would run a 4,200 seater (so somewhere in the 3,500 range for wrestling) on two nights instead of the main arena for one.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1465364938411573249

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Odd decision, not sure why they would run a 4,200 seater (so somewhere in the 3,500 range for wrestling) on two nights instead of the main arena for one.

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1465364938411573249

Wizards are playing in the Capitol One arena on both of those dates apparently.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

Wizards are playing in the Capitol One arena on both of those dates apparently.

They can run DC any week they want to though.

Pistol Packin Poet
Nov 5, 2012

Everyone needs an
escape goat!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Him saving Eddie was also very eeeeh.

But let's see where it goes.

Eddie wasn't so keen on Jericho saving him either. Jericho responded

https://twitter.com/IAmJericho/status/1464450528969117699

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Jericho is savvy enough that he might lose to Eddie (knowing fans really want Eddie to win and it will make Jericho look good putting him over) but I kind of hope he doesn't because Eddie is getting wilder and wilder with every loss.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
eddie/jericho could be a funny odd couple pairing for a while until kevin steen comes in and moxley is back and you get jericho & steen vs mox & eddie

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1465365438242643969

Back to Cleveland too.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I'm now curious in seeing a Steen vs Eddie match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TV Zombie posted:

I'm now curious in seeing a Steen vs Eddie match.

They had one for the ROH title on PPV. It was a little disappointing but Eddie is a much better wrestler now than then. Will be curious to see where Steen is at but I assume still great!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I actually liked the Swole/Baker dentist office match. It was absolute dumb poo poo, but I need that from time to time. I'd watch it 500 times before I watch the husk of the Undertaker ride off on his motorcycle after beating up aj styles again.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

boxcarhobo posted:

because before the crowd was entirely apathetic towards her, and now everyone screams D M D as soon as she lifts her finger, she's just very popular with the crowd now so she doesn't really need to go in on them to get a reaction from them

Thank you, I thought I was crazy. Britt's over as gently caress, probably a noticeable draw, and the crowd loves her. I bet she moves a ton of merch too. That's why Britt's still on top.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I actually liked the Swole/Baker dentist office match. It was absolute dumb poo poo, but I need that from time to time. I'd watch it 500 times before I watch the husk of the Undertaker ride off on his motorcycle after beating up aj styles again.

wtf

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

The dental office match rules, undertaker can go suck trumps baby dick for beer nickels.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

weird

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
You would have to pay me to watch any biker grandpa do anything. It's the lamest poo poo imaginable, and then also the Undertaker sucks poo poo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Taker/AJ was aggressively lame and it would never have been received as well as it was if it hadn't been the first cinematic match of the COVID era